Saturday 10th March

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Mr Peru
Junior Team Star

Mar 12, 2012, 10:50 PM

Team(s): Wealdstone

Post #126 of 145 (5005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Newport County 3-1 Wealdstone

FA Trophy Semi Final First Leg

A large and vocal Wealdstone contingent gave their Welsh hosts a run for their money off the pitch. Unfortunately for those in blue, they couldn't live up to their exploits in the previous round against Barrow, Dartford and Cambridge.

The usually reliable Jon North was quick off his line to a hopeful Exiles punt forward after seven minutes. But instead of hoofing the ball in the direction on the M4, he stuttered and decided to head the ball… straight onto the hand of the onrushing Buchanan who accepted the gift of an open goal to make it 1-0.

Ten minutes later it got even worse for the Stones as they failed to deal with a corner. A header off the bar landed at the feet of the luckiest man in Wales, Nat Jarvis who couldn’t miss.

The Stones came out firing and Richard Jolly got his customary goal shortly after the break as Stones put the hosts under some sustained pressure. Stones looked odds on for an equaliser when a screamer from Peter Dean was tipped round the post on 75 minutes. But Newport had the last laugh when a poor attempted clearance from McCubbin let Pipe free down the right. Pipe's cross eventually found it's way though to Knight who fired home from 8 yards.

So advantage Newport going into the second leg but if they think they are going to have it easy......

http://bobblypitch.blogspot.com/...-3-1-wealdstone.html

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 12, 2012, 11:46 PM

Post #127 of 145 (4977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Watts] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Now geography was never my strong point but when in Richmond earlier in the day I thought I was in Surrey.

You weren't in Surrey. Richmond is in Greater London.

In Reply To
Middlesex CCC play occasional fixtures at Richmond; i.e. the London Welsh RUFC gorund at Old Deer Park. The ground is definitely within Surrey.

No it's not. It's Greater London. Has been since 1965.

The postal address is Surrey, therefore as far as I'm concerned (and for the purpose of clarifying the original query) it's in Surrey:

http://www.olddeerpark.co.uk/...ID=1&contentID=3

Hampton & Richmond Borough's postal address is Middlesex.

No it's not.
There are no counties in postal addresses. There hasn't been for years.
I'm sure the UK is the only country in the world where people don't know how to write their own address. As well as working for Royal Mail I send stuff that I sell on eBay all over the world and it's only the UK where people think they can make up an address by adding bits or taking bits away they don't like. Canada Post would never stand for this. They refuse to deliver stuff that isn't addressed correctly and that includes the correct amount of spaces between the address and postcode for some mail. If we went down that route in the UK there'd be uproar amongst the public.
People don't try and make up their own phone numbers so why do they think they can do it with postal addresses?
Find a county on this database (after the post-town in case anyone thinks they're being clever by finding a 'Surrey Avenue') and I'll give you £1000. http://www.royalmail.com/postcode-finder

Those doddering old farts at the Association of British Counties can be ignored. For some reason they chose to stick at 1895 or some such year. Why they chose that as their preferred year we'll never know.

(This post was edited by VP on Mar 13, 2012, 12:02 AM)

VP

Mar 13, 2012, 12:16 AM

Post #128 of 145 (4957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Watts] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
The postal address is Surrey, therefore as far as I'm concerned (and for the purpose of clarifying the original query) it's in Surrey:

http://www.olddeerpark.co.uk/...ID=1&contentID=3

Hampton & Richmond Borough's postal address is Middlesex.

Postal addresses haven't included counties for quite some time now (mid 1990s I believe)

You can include as much or as little information as you like when giving your address - house number and post code should be sufficient to get a letter delivered in the end - but I suggest you have a much better chance of a prompt delivery if you include "Richmond, Surrey" or "Hampton, Middlesex". For instance, a letter posted outside the immediate area addressed to "Richmond TW10" may well travel via Richmond in North Yorkshire and arrive at least one day later than one addressed to "Richmond, Surrey", or vice versa.

Sorry, should have put all this in my earlier post but...

The above is not how it works.
Virtually all mail is sorted by machine these days. If it hasn't got a postcode on it then they go by town. They can even sort some mail by reading the road but not county. The Mail Centres and postcodes aren't run on county lines so putting a county in makes no difference. They're not even run on national borders. Half of Wales has an 'SY' postcode.
I work in a Delivery Office that has addresses in three counties - Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire. People use all these counties and more but the wise (or those using online postage) don't use any. One mailing company used to have a dodgy mailing list and had Camberley down as Cornwall as they got us mixed up with Callington. Made no difference to the quality of service as they all got here next day.
If you're in York for example and see a letter with 'Surrey' on it do you go for the TW, KT, GU, RH, CR, SM or TN postcode? All of them cover a part of Surrey. Sending it to the wrong Mail Centre means a delay of at least a day, even if it's the place next door.

(This post was edited by VP on Mar 13, 2012, 12:29 AM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Mar 13, 2012, 8:34 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #129 of 145 (4907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Back in the days when counties were still put on letters, one would put "near" to show a posttown.
This meant, for a while, I was working in "Yateley, Hampshire, near Camberley, Surrey". It was even closer to Sandhurst, Berkshire!!

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

gcnc

Mar 13, 2012, 8:38 AM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #130 of 145 (4902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr Peru] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Newport County 3-1 Wealdstone

FA Trophy Semi Final First Leg

A large and vocal Wealdstone contingent gave their Welsh hosts a run for their money off the pitch. Unfortunately for those in blue, they couldn't live up to their exploits in the previous round against Barrow, Dartford and Cambridge.

The usually reliable Jon North was quick off his line to a hopeful Exiles punt forward after seven minutes. But instead of hoofing the ball in the direction on the M4, he stuttered and decided to head the ball… straight onto the hand of the onrushing Buchanan who accepted the gift of an open goal to make it 1-0.

Ten minutes later it got even worse for the Stones as they failed to deal with a corner. A header off the bar landed at the feet of the luckiest man in Wales, Nat Jarvis who couldn’t miss.

The Stones came out firing and Richard Jolly got his customary goal shortly after the break as Stones put the hosts under some sustained pressure. Stones looked odds on for an equaliser when a screamer from Peter Dean was tipped round the post on 75 minutes. But Newport had the last laugh when a poor attempted clearance from McCubbin let Pipe free down the right. Pipe's cross eventually found it's way though to Knight who fired home from 8 yards.

So advantage Newport going into the second leg but if they think they are going to have it easy......

http://bobblypitch.blogspot.com/...-3-1-wealdstone.html

Also at this one. Total respect to the Wealdstone fans - by far the best and most vocal away following we've seen at Spytty this year. Really made for a great atmosphere. Looking forward to part two this Saturday!

Match highlights at http://www.youtube.com/...t=PLF1161548EAC0B06D

(This post was edited by gcnc on Mar 13, 2012, 8:40 AM)

acmold

Mar 13, 2012, 9:25 AM

Post #131 of 145 (4885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Back in the days when counties were still put on letters, one would put "near" to show a posttown.
This meant, for a while, I was working in "Yateley, Hampshire, near Camberley, Surrey". It was even closer to Sandhurst, Berkshire!!

It is a bit like Mornington Crescent

Shrivenham, Swindon, Oxon, SN6 formerly in Berkshire.

Faringdon, Swindon, Oxon, SN ?, formerly in Berks and headquarters of the B&B F.A.

Think OX postcodes cover 3 maybe 4 counties, areas around Banbury are OX but are in Northants and Warwickshire and the odd place in West Berks according to a map I have are OX, might even be the odd place by Burford but in Gloucestershire may have an OX postcode..But the places in Bucks very near to Oxford all have HP I think.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2012, 10:06 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #132 of 145 (4868 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Virtually all mail is sorted by machine these days. If it hasn't got a postcode on it then they go by town. They can even sort some mail by reading the road but not county. The Mail Centres and postcodes aren't run on county lines so putting a county in makes no difference. They're not even run on national borders. Half of Wales has an 'SY' postcode.
I work in a Delivery Office that has addresses in three counties - Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire. People use all these counties and more but the wise (or those using online postage) don't use any. One mailing company used to have a dodgy mailing list and had Camberley down as Cornwall as they got us mixed up with Callington. Made no difference to the quality of service as they all got here next day.
If you're in York for example and see a letter with 'Surrey' on it do you go for the TW, KT, GU, RH, CR, SM or TN postcode? All of them cover a part of Surrey. Sending it to the wrong Mail Centre means a delay of at least a day, even if it's the place next door.

The problem is exacerbated by websites asking (and in many cases insisting) on a county being included in the addresses when ordering online. Administratively I live in both Huntingdonshire (District Council) and Cambridgeshire (County Council). I have a PE post code, which is not unreasonable since I live close to Peterborough, although PE post codes also cover places like Skegness, King's Lynn, Hunstanton, Stamford and Huntingdon. If anyone includes 'Cambridgeshire' in my address, even if the post code is included, it usually arrives late having been re-directed from Cambridge, which has a CB post code.

Isaac

Mar 13, 2012, 12:02 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #133 of 145 (4841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
It is exactly the same in much of Kent!

Bus and coach companies blame it on government subsidies (or the lack of) etc etc.

In fairness, Kent actually does better than most counties. There are lots of railway lines in Kent, and to go from (say) Chatham to Tunbridge Wells doesn't require travelling via London. (By way of contrast, I once had to travel the 12 miles from Hertford to St Albans via London, because at that time there were no buses on Sundays.)

Not so much in my part of Kent, but in East Kent they even have buses after 6pm!

Not many buses in Ashford in the evening, Canterbury fares a lot better though.

A lot of trains journies are difficult as well, for example Maidstone to Sheerness involves 2 or 3 changes of train and takes over an hour as does the bus compared to 15-20mins in the car.

warriorsmfc2011
Ballboy/girl

Mar 13, 2012, 1:24 PM

Team(s): Marnhull FC, Yeovil Town, Lincoln Utd, St Mirren

Post #134 of 145 (4805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yeoviltown1] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You didn't mention the team manager personally made us a cup of tea yeoviltown1! Great facilities at Puddletown FC, would love to see someone restore them to former glories (even though they knocked us out of the Dorset Minor Cup!).

jimmyb
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 13, 2012, 2:09 PM

Team(s): Lochgelly Albert, Bath City, Odd Down

Post #135 of 145 (4787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [warriorsmfc2011] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BRISTOL MANOR FARM 0 BRIDPORT 1
TOOLSTATION WESTERN PREMIER LEAGUE @ THE CREEK,

ADM- £5
PROGS- YES 50P
ATT- APPROX 50

Took the train from Bath Spa to Sea Mills (£6.80 return). Ground is visible from the station at Sea Mills and its a 5 minute walk along the Portway. Entrance to ground is at the corner flag and on the main side there is the changing rooms a small covered enclosure and seated stand which runs to the half way line. Couple of steps of concreted terracing down to the far corner complete this side. Behind both goals in 1 step of uncovered terracing and on the far side a covered terrace runs between the 2 dugouts. Nice setting and a ground i liked.

The match itself was settled by a goal after 16 minutes for the visitors, Bridport number 11 getting the better of the right back and firing a shot low past the home keeper. Not much was seen in an attacking sense from Bridport after this and BMF laid seige on the visitors goal in the 2nd half but just could'nt get a goal.

ground and match pics
http://www.flickr.com/...157629207863744/show

richiejenn
First Team Star

Mar 13, 2012, 3:51 PM

Team(s):

Post #136 of 145 (4751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyb] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 10th March 2012 @3pm
Spartan South Midlands Premier Division
St MARGARETSBURY v HADLEY 6-2
Admission: £6 with programme
Attendance: 19
Bacon Roll: £2
Hot Drinks (poly): £1

The Recreation Ground on Station Road is in the hamlet of Stanstead Abbotts, just south of Ware and 5 minutes walk from the rail station. The ground has 3 pitches including one overlapping the cricket pitch. The main pitch however, is fenced off on the far side of the complex. The clubhouse/pavilion is outside the ground entrance. A raised bank on the nearside touchline is home to the tea bar and covered accommodation. A modern basic stand split into standing and seating areas. This offers a good view of the action. The rest of the pitch is railed and concrete standing.

Arriving 45 minutes before kickoff gave me chance to speak with the gateman and watch the end of the Bolton v QPR game in the clubhouse with the home manager Lee Judges who appeared very relaxed about todays game, after the teams shock win v Dunstable in the week.
The home side got off to a great start with Hadley struggling at the back. No11 O’Connor cut in from the left to open the scoring on 15 minutes, and then Tutalamo (no10) added the 2nd a ¼ way through the match. When Striker Leigh Rose scored the third on 30 minutes Hadley made a substitution to help out the defence. The defence stabilised for the rest of the half and Hadley even managed a goal 10 minutes before half time.
I arrived back in the ground just in time to see the ball picked out of the net, with was followed by Tutalamo adding his second before I sat back down. The game was over as a contest, but Dom Petrucci, the Hadley no11 is a skilful player and got his second goal using his strength and pace. The final goal arrived in the last 15 minutes when Rose was tripped in the area, with the defender being sent off as last man and captain Ricky Light expertly despatched the penalty in the bottom corner.
St Margaretsbury is a really friendly club and I enjoyed an entertaining game. Just a shame only 18 others got to see it.

Chris1963

Mar 13, 2012, 6:52 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #137 of 145 (4707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Lutterworth Town 1 Newhall Utd 1
Leicestershire Senior League Div 1

As reported previously, the facilities at Town's latest venue at Coventry Road are very basic and it is difficult to understand why they are playing there. That said, trying to work out what is going on in Lutterworth is enough to make anyone's head hurt. Town first played at Dunley Way (more than adequate for this level), before moving out to Hall Lane. Athletic took over Dunley Way. Town then moved from Hall Lane to their current home and Athletic moved into Hall Lane but seemingly still with a presence at Dunley Way Passing Hall Lane on the way in there seemed to be a lot of building work going on.

It would be interesting to know what the building work involves because when I had a look there last season (en route to visting Dunley Way) Hall Lane already had two large, modern dressing-room/clubhouse buildings. The only way you could improve it further would be to build a stand there but I would have expected any such structures to be of the 'Arena' variety.

Chris1963

Mar 13, 2012, 6:59 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #138 of 145 (4700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelite] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Southern League Premier Division
Weymouth 0 Hemel Hempstead Town 1

After a beer (bought by someone else) to cool the wallet's nerves, we saw a rather humerous match unfold in the pleasant afternoon sun as the referee (Mr Andrew Rodda) basically made it up as he went along.
Giving free kicks willy nilly for events only he could see, wound up both sides and eventually led to Hemel being awarded their goal on eighty four minutes, when the ball clearly had NOT crossed the line, was not given by the lino - but was given by Mr Rodda who was twenty yards behind play.
Not much to report about the rest of the game, in truth it was rather a dull affair. Hemel's keeper realising early that he could really crank up the home crowd by time wasting - so he did it a lot - and both sides failing to bother the oppositions goal for long periods.

It's bad enough that referees get stick (their job is anything but easy) but this Andrew Rodda happens to be deaf (he was at the same school as myself - a year below me) so please give him credit. If he 'wound up' anyone, it was probably because he couldn't hear people trying to attract his attention.
He has had a lot of praise from some influential people, one of whom described him as being in the list of "top 100 referees" in the country.

PS; have mentioned it on here long ago, but would like to share with you the dangerous stunt he once pulled off at school, which involved abseiling from the second floor of one of the school buildings (when no teachers were nearby) without any safety equipment. That's the stuff referees are made of!

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Mar 13, 2012, 7:03 PM)

muzza2
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 13, 2012, 8:46 PM

Team(s): Burton Albion

Post #139 of 145 (4663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shrewsbury Town 1-0 Burton Albion
Sharps 51
League Two
Attendance 5,840 (210 away)
Admission £19 (On the day, £2 cheaper in advance) Programme £3

Burton Albion have never beaten Shrewsbury Town, are on their longest winless run for 21 years, hadn’t scored for nearly 7 1/2 hours and hadn’t kept a clean sheet for 19 games, the opponents meanwhile hadn’t lost at home for over a year so to say an away victory or even point would be unexpected would have been a bit of an understatement.

The game had a scrappy opening with neither side dominating possession, the hosts looked a little more threatening but the Brewers coped with what was thrown at them. Burton’s first notable shot came when Matt Harriott bent a shot goalwards but too close to Chris Neal. Romaine Sawyers missed a decent chance with a header and then an intercepted back pass almost allowed Marvin Morgan a good chance but the angle was a bit too tight. Morgan almost profited from a dreadful refeering as he somehow got away with a clear trip on Jimmy Phillips and then curled a shot right footed which Atkins beat away.

HT 0-0

Shrewsbury’s corners were looking increasingly dangerous and after James Collins’ overhead effort was brilliantly headed over by Andy Corbett, the hosts scored from the resultant corner as Ian Sharps headed in from close range. Sharps was denied another goal when Atkins got across well to push away before The Brewers almost snatched an unlikely equaliser as Justin Richards squared for Calvin Zola who mistimed his jump and headed just past the post. Mark Wright had a great chance to double the lead as a dreadful kick out by Atkins ended with the keeper redeeming his own error with a fine save.

FT 1-0

A lot more positives to take out of the game than recent weeks, The Brewers dug in and if it wasn't for still being completely incompetent at set plays they may well have gained a superb point. Though not looking very threatening going forward the return of Zola helped and with the creative Maghoma set to return soon hopefully the goals will return.

Games 780.5 (5) - Grounds - 214 (1) - Teams 397 (2)

VP

Mar 13, 2012, 11:36 PM

Post #140 of 145 (4588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Sorry to turn this into a postcode thread but this should be my last rant on the subject.....

Back when beer was tuppence a loaf, mail for Yateley and Sandhurst was delivered from the Camberley office. There was a bit of a to do with the locals over the borders complaining they had to put 'Surrey' on their mail. About 20 years ago a new Delivery Office was put into Sandhurst which delivers the mail for Yateley as well. The locals are happy because they can now put Yateley, Hampshire as their address thinking that they've managed to get Royal Mail to give in to their demands. They don't realise that it's actually Royal Mail who've got one over on them and managed to shut them up because counties are ignored so you can put whatever you like on mail. Under the old system their address would have changed from Yateley, Camberley, Surrey to Yateley, Sandhurst, Berkshire but the new system allows for Yateley, Hampshire. Still, it's not hard to trick people from Hampshire as they're simple folk. Tongue

(This post was edited by VP on Mar 13, 2012, 11:43 PM)

acmold

Mar 14, 2012, 11:27 AM

Post #141 of 145 (4524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

Sorry to turn this into a postcode thread but this should be my last rant on the subject.....

Back when beer was tuppence a loaf, mail for Yateley and Sandhurst was delivered from the Camberley office. There was a bit of a to do with the locals over the borders complaining they had to put 'Surrey' on their mail. About 20 years ago a new Delivery Office was put into Sandhurst which delivers the mail for Yateley as well. The locals are happy because they can now put Yateley, Hampshire as their address thinking that they've managed to get Royal Mail to give in to their demands. They don't realise that it's actually Royal Mail who've got one over on them and managed to shut them up because counties are ignored so you can put whatever you like on mail. Under the old system their address would have changed from Yateley, Camberley, Surrey to Yateley, Sandhurst, Berkshire but the new system allows for Yateley, Hampshire. Still, it's not hard to trick people from Hampshire as they're simple folk. Tongue

My address is house number and street (even that causes problems as it does not end in Street, Road, Avenue, etc), town and post code, I sure the Post Offoce don't even need the town. I get letters with both Cowley and Iffley on them, the boundary runs down the middle of the road and my side is in Cowley but Iffley is posher. For elections we moved from Cowley to Iffley a few years ago so people started using Iffley, it is strange if you live in Iffley most insurance premiums are a lot lower than those for Cowley.

As my address is only three lines I am quite often asked if it is correct, is there a line missing. Also it is amazing how many people you speak to on the telephone when an address is needed, after I have said Oxford they then ask what county Oxford is in. Middlesbrough is the county town of Middlesex !

moondog
Junior Team Star

Mar 14, 2012, 4:28 PM

Team(s): Chesterfield

Post #142 of 145 (4470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leominsterblue] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bundesliga

FC Koln 1 Hertha Berlin 0
Admission : 29 euro's (+4 euro's postage to UK)
Attendance : 48,000
Sausage (Stadionwurst) 2.90 euro's chips 2.50 euro's

My first Bundesliga match was a joy to behold, fantastic atmosphere and stadium with a good even match to boot, Hertha should have snatched a point at the death.

I was particularly impressed by the rendition of the club anthem "Mer stonn zo dir F.C. Kölle" (their version of the Bonnie Banks O' Loch Lomond) at kick off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95mTow94cIg

and after the match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJAvwnHed8

The match will probably be remembered by the locals for Cologne's, soon to be departing for Arsenal, star striker Podolski's sending off for a headbutt that never was (saw the replay in the pub after) but for me it was more about seeing a former Chesterfield player in action for Hertha (Felix Basteins 12 games on loan from Forest in 2006) which was a nice bonus.

The Koln players did a lap of honour at end, for winning a lower mid table clash! I got the impression this level of appreciation of the support is the norm in Germany.

My disappointments were not getting a decent view of the Hertha fans who were stuck in the corner virtually hidden from my view on the same end (North Stand) who were in good voice with plenty of colour and flags on show and missing the parade of "Hennes" the Goat (club mascot) pre-match. This was due to the unexpected queues outside caused by insufficient entry gates for a stadium of this size. The random bleatings of "Hennes" over the PA system was an amusing and unique touch.

Beer is certainly king in Germany, Hertha fans were staggering out of the rail station at 10am, with crates of the stuff, one lad dropping and smashing his box of a dozen bottles with no one batting an eye lid, lots of drunken fans with beer in hand mingled all day without a hint of trouble.

The appetite has certainly been whetted for another trip to Germany, loved every minute

(This post was edited by moondog on Mar 14, 2012, 8:05 PM)

Loiner
First Team Star

Mar 14, 2012, 4:51 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #143 of 145 (4461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [exiled_hopper] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Morley Barnes - 0 New Farnley Rangers - 0
Admission (free, but donations strongly suggested). Team sheet 20p. Coffee £1. Cakes avaliable on charitable donation

An entirely forgettable game on the pitch but a trip to Barnes Recreation Field is never a wasted day as it offers some beautiful scenery.

For clarification what road in Morley is Barnes Recreation Field on? Question 2 What competition / league do these clubs play in? Thanks

Ramsgate
First Team Star

Mar 15, 2012, 8:46 PM

Post #144 of 145 (4334 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

127. Saturday 10 March 2012 – South West Peninsula Premier – Attendance: 83
Bodmin Town (amber/black/black) 5 – 1 Ivybridge Town (green & white sleeves/white/green)

Saturday’s game was a drive into Cornwall and on the way I checked the location of Bodmin Parkway station. Ivybridge Town fell behind on 22 minutes, when Bodmin Town worked the ball to Adam Carter, who tapped in the first goal of the game. A rout looked on the cards, but within ten minutes Ivybridge Town scored a surprise equaliser, bundling the ball home. Bodmin Town proved their strength by retaking the lead before half-time and then adding three more goals by the 66th minute. Enter one Ivybridge Town substitute, who had far too much to say. They conceded a free-kick for a handball, but the precocious substitute could not accept the decision. The referee warned him with a yellow card, but the substitute continued the argument then, was staring at a red card. In the circumstances Bodmin Town should have added to their tally, but deemed five goals was enough. Star Man: Tom Chambers (Bodmin Town)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2012, 11:53 AM

Post #145 of 145 (4110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paul White] Saturday 10th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Aberystwyth University 0 Bow Street 1

Vicarage Fields: Spar Mid Wales League First Division

Although I had been to the Vicarage Fields before, when I was staying on a break in the area a couple of years ago, this was the first match I had witnessed at the home of Aberystwyth University. The facilities around the pitch itself are quite basic, with a small stand and a rope to keep spectators at a safe distance, the highlight of the Vicarage Fields is the old-fashioned pavilion where the players and officials changed. There is a large sports hall located to the side of the pavilion. The students have been struggling in the lower reaches of the Spar Mid Wales League First Division, as they battle against relegation, although they defeated Llansantffraid Village 3-0 in their previous outing. Bow Street, who are located just a few miles north of Aberystwyth, have not enjoyed the best of seasons themselves. They appear to be safe from relegation, having drawn 1-1 with Berriew the previous weekend, but have been too inconsistent to challenge the leading clubs this term.

It was the students who made most of the early running, despite the early Saturday morning kick-off, as they created several goal scoring opportunities but without really testing the opposition goalkeeper. The Magpies looked somewhat lethargic in the opening period and really struggled to get going. The closest the University came to breaking the deadlock, during the first-half, was when they saw an effort saved on the line following a 28th minute corner. The nature of the contest changed on the stroke of half-time when their hosts had a player dismissed for a lunging challenge. Despite going down to ten men, the students continued to play well after the interval, creating a number of chances. These included a 77th minute angled drive met by a diving save from the Magpies’ goalkeeper. Bow Street pushed for a winner in the closing stages but it appeared that the match was heading for a draw. With five minutes remaining, a cross from the right was volleyed in at the far by a visiting player to claim all three points. The students had performed well and had deserved at least a share of the spoils from the fixture.

Aberaeron Town 3 Machynlleth 0

Cae Sgwar: Spar Mid Wales League Second Division

Unlike the two other grounds visited on this Saturday, this was the first time I had visited Cae Sgwar, which was rather distinctive in its appearance and nature. The ground is located in the heart of the town centre in a public park, with a hedge surrounding the perimeter, and roads running around all four side of the ground. There are no spectator facilities at Cae Sgwar but there was a ‘burger van’ in attendance to provide refreshments for the spectators. Aberaeron Town are due to move to a new ground, located next to the town’s rugby club, which would be within a stone’s throw of the sea. The hosts have had an impressive campaign in the Spar Mid Wales League Second Division. Although they found themselves fourth in the table, despite defeating Abermule 4-2 in their last outing, they could go top of the table by winning their games in hand. Machynlleth, who had been more inconsistent this term, found themselves in mid-table but thumped Four Crosses 6-3 the previous weekend.

The home team looked particularly lively during the opening stages at their distinctive. They eventually took the lead in the 18th minute, when one of their forwards swivelled to volley into the corner of the net, following some good play just outside the penalty area. The Montgomeryshire outfit tried to respond but they rarely troubled the home goalkeeper in that opening period. Aberaeron Town were in the ascendancy throughout the opening period and carried on, from where they had left off, at the beginning of the second half. But, against the general run of play, Machynlleth conjured-up an equaliser in the 59th minute. A long and hopeful ball was headed across the goal by a home defender and a visiting player was in the right place, at the far post, to tap into the net. It took the hosts just four minutes to find an equaliser, as an Aberaeron Town forward latched on to a through ball, rounded the goalkeeper and placed the ball into an empty net. The Ceredigion club confirmed victory, with seven minutes remaining, when they broke quickly and an effort on goal was saved but the rebound was tucked home.

New Quay 1 Maesglas 2

Parc Arthur: Costcutter Ceredigion League First Division

I visited Park Arthur virtually one year to the day, for the home team’s Emrys Morgan Cup quarter-final with Newcastle of the Mid Wales League (South), and I was very impressed with the Parc Arthur ground for that level of the pyramid. Many of the grounds in the Costcutter Ceredigion League are, apart from one or two, relatively basic but New Quay’s home have a smart changing room block adjacent to the pitch, which is railed-off for the majority of its perimeter and has natural banks on two sides that provide good views of the action. The home club would probably have little difficulty I attaining the ground criteria for the Spar Mid Wales League if they ever deciding to apply for promotion. These two clubs went into the final fixture of the Mid Wales Hop-up as the leading two teams in the league’s First Division. The Mackerel Men were unbeaten in the league only their only defeat this term was at the hands of Spar Mid Wales League First Division Llansantffraid Village in the Central Wales Challenge Cup. New Quay had hammered Lampeter Town 7-1 in the Ceredigion League Cup in their previous outing. Maesglas, who led their opponents but had played more matches, had defeated Llanboidy 4-0 at home in their last league outing.

The home team made the early running in this top of the table encounter but the leaders came more into the match as the opening period progressed. New Quay seemed more likely to break the deadlock, as they forced several saves from the Maesglas goalkeeper, but it was the visitors who took thee lead in the 39th minute. A Maesglas player broke down the left flank and delivered a low cross which was successfully converted. It did not take long for the Mackerel Men to find an equaliser, when the visitor’s goalkeeper was unable to deal with a cross in the 39th minute, leaving a New Quay player to nip in and tuck the ball home. The match continued in a similar vein during the second-half, with both teams creating several chances, but without really testing the Maesglas goalkeeper. Just when it appeared that the match appeared to be heading towards a draw, there was a dramatic turn of events with four minutes remaining, with a New Quay player dismissed. From the ensuing free-kick, which was launched forward by a Maesglas player from in his own half of the pitch, the ball landed in the penalty area and bounced over the host’s goalkeeper and into the back of the net. Although the visitors had a player dismissed in the final minute of the match, the Mackerel Men were unable to find an equaliser in stoppage time, thus condemning New Quay to their first league defeat of the campaign.

2011/12 Statistics
Goals: 375
Matches: 90
New Grounds: 14

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3