Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

The Moose
First Team Star

Mar 18, 2012, 9:42 PM

Team(s):

Post #126 of 1758 (77453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fri 16th - WELSH EGGS PREM: PONTYPRIDD 41 BRIDGEND 16

ADM: £10 PROG: £2 ATT: h/c 730

So this seasons journey across the valleys continued with the excellent Sardis Road which is only ten minutes from the rail station. What another gem it was too with a 1500+ stand on one side and a cover for around the same on the other. Lovely curved old school terrace at one end with the clubhouse at the other completing a superb setting in the hills.

A rather one sided game with Ponty continuing to make strides towards the top four and the play offs. Five tries to one so the locals had plenty to cheer. Finally managed to clarify which ground had been used in the 'Dick the Kick' episode of Stella recently and stood at the end where it was filmed, sad I know! There's moves afoot to get regional rugby back in the valleys but probably Bridgend have the better ground should they be trying to get the Celtic Warriors up and running again.

KRTM Cool

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 24, 2012, 6:40 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #127 of 1758 (77376 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 24th March 2012
Rossendale 40 Birkenhead Park 10 (HT 14-3)
National League Three North
Admission £5 (including glossy 36pp programme)
Attendance 122 (h/c)

An unsatisfying game for the neutral. Both teams were in the top five before kick-off, but the hosts saw off with ease a very poor Birkenhead Park side whose performance on a sunny afternoon perfect for running the ball was blighted by umpteen unforced handling errors. The female referee (the first I've seen in rugby union) tested my patience to the limit by finding fault with virtually every scrum, and the two physios were hardly off the pitch, especially in the first half. Compared to the highly-skilled amateur rugby league I enjoyed in Hull last week (at half the price), this was crap, frankly.

Not much of a ground, either. The Marl Pits site (half a mile along Newchurch Road from the vandal-ravaged remains of Rossendale United FC's Dark Lane stadium) offers, in addition to the rugby pitch, two football pitches (one inside a third world athletics track) and a swimming pool in the process of being rebuilt. The clubhouse and dressing rooms are the other side of the athletics track-cum-football pitch from the rugby arena. This is a simple railed pitch with dug-outs. No floodlights, and the only cover was provided by a truck (I kid you not) in one corner. Must be bleak up here in the middle of winter. Nice backdrop of the 'Cloth Cap Hills', though.

Ironically, in light of their utterly abysmal handling, Park's try, with five minutes of normal time left, was the best of the game - a 75m effort featuring four players. The Wirral club's defence went AWOL after that, however, leaking two more soft tries as Rossendale, in line for promotion, ran in a total of six touchdowns.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Mar 24, 2012, 6:48 PM

Post #128 of 1758 (77373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Glad to see you've visited Sardis Road, Moose! Cool

Midlands 2 West (North)
Aston Old Edwardians RFC 48 Shrewsbury RFC 0
Admission free, programme £1
Refreshments – ham salad cob and ½ Carling £2.95, Pork Farms pork pie and litre of milk from Londis £1.55
Attendance – 81 (h/c)

The ground is at the end of Sunnybank Avenue in the north Birmingham suburb of Perry Common and consists of two rugby pitches, (one floodlit) and a cricket square. There is ample parking in front of the pitches and a small clubhouse / bar, while the changing rooms are away in the far corner by the cricket pavilion. The ground slopes slightly downhill towards the bar, also from corner to corner, and this proved rather telling in the second half. The rugby pitches are "taped". There were no other facilities.

In the bar, there was a stand inviting you to take a matchday programme gratis. Excellent, clubs at this level don’t always issue, but sometimes paperwork is put out on the bar. However, investigation showed that the programmes in the stand were for the last home game vs. Burntwood. Being a paper chaser, I then mounted surveillance on the stand from a corner of the bar, but by 14:45, nothing fresh had appeared. I then noticed someone outside the bar clutching a programme with his pint. After interrogating him (and about half a dozen others holding programmes), I tracked down a seller back at the main entrance, and was charged £1 for it!

In the car park, there is the Stone. This is a plinth commemorating the opening of the ground in 1927 and is dedicated to the old boys of KEGS Aston who died in the First World War. On top of the plinth is the Stone. This is, ummm, a rather large stone. More a sort of boulder. Quite a nondescript boulder, in actuality. A boulder, one could say, without any particular merit. Walking round it, trying to discern the inner significance and meaning of the Stone, I stepped backwards and fell over a kerb. BlushPirate That Stone should carry a health and safety warning. Sly

AOE kicked off up the slope. On 6m, Shrewsbury infringed in front of their posts, but the AOE kicker, no.21, but the easy penalty chance wide. Play was fairly evenly contested and both sides were putting together good passing movements, but there were an increasing number of time-outs for injuries on a fairly hard pitch and drink stoppages given the warm conditions, and that led to a rather disjointed game for the spectator.

On 23m, the home side opened the scoring when AOE21 did all the hard work and managed to offload to AOE15 when caught on the line, the latter stepping over for the try. AOE4 and S6 were spoken to for a minor bout of handbags, and AOE7 should have scored on 33m but was stopped by a high tackle – a good case for a penalty try but the referee only gave a scrum which Shrewsbury stole and cleared. A penalty after 37m by AOE21 made it 8-0 at half-time.

Going downhill in the second half, AOE gradually exerted superiority. On 42m, AOE18 broke a tackle in midfield and thundered home between the posts. It was 22-0 after 56m when AOE15 broke right and eventually scored under the posts.

The next score came on 60m when AOE21 ran the ball in from 30 yards out with a frustrated AOE14 hard on his shoulder, imploring him for an offload which never came! Four minutes later, AOE21 again did all the hard work to create an easy try for AOE12, and on 73m, AOE7 and S2 were sin-binned for something the referee saw off the ball that seemed fairly innocuous to me.

On 76m, our frustrated no.14, who had spent much time muttering on the wing, gained possession and set off on a searing run down the right flank before weaving across field and cutting back to score under the posts - no way was he going to relinquish that ball!! However, it was then pointed out that the elderly, white-haired Shrewsbury touch judge was flagging by the half way line for (presumably) a foot out of play; however, the referee studiously ignored him and gave AOE the points. Laugh

The match concluded with a slow motion lumber half the length of the pitch by AOE18 who, when eventually tackled, managed to release the ball, which was spun through a number of hands in secondary phase and eventually back to AOE18 who scored by the posts.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Mar 26, 2012, 11:06 AM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #129 of 1758 (77309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 25 March 2012, 2pm: Westcombe Park 20-17 Aylesford Bulls; Rugby Union, Kent Cup Semi-Final; att: 145 h/c; Entry free; no programme issued.

Westcombe Park achieved a narrow win in this cup semi-final and go forward to the final, which is to be played at Medway RFC, Rochester on Sunday 29 April (which left supporters grumbling about having to go to such a “crap” ground, for a cup final).

The Goddington Dene Sports Ground lies at the edge of Orpington on the south-east London/Kent border. It is a large ground, featuring facilities for rugby, football, cricket and tennis. The adjacent Goddington Park has further football and rugby pitches. The whole is a 25 minute or so walk from Chelsfield railway station – a bit longer if, like me, you chose to go via the Five Bells in Chelsfield village for some lunchtime refreshment. The main rugby pitch lies a cricket field away from the large bar and dressing room complex. It is fully-railed all around, with infill provided by a full circle of advertising hoardings. Midway along the north side is a modest little stand providing several rows of wooden bench seats. The pitch is not floodlit, nor is there any hard standing. On Saturday matchdays, a pitch-side bar is provided in the Orpington Cricket Club hut, which stands behind the west goal.

I’ve added a photo of this ground to my small collection of rugby stadium snaps at this link:
http://www.panoramio.com/user/986765/tags/Rugby

This game was disappointingly low-key; much more so than my quarter-final game at Sidcup a few Sundays back. More obviously treated as a reserves game I think by Westcombe, who had an important home league game the previous day where they are facing a desperate battle against relegation from National Two South. I’m not sure what sort of gates they get this year on a Saturday (normal entry £10), but I know last season’s average in the same division was 238. The club was hoping for a ‘bumper’ gate for this match, but I heard several describe the turnout as ‘very disappointing’. My headcount came after 20 minutes – in fact people kept trickling in, to eventually number possibly around 200 by the end.

Most people seemed to consider Aylesford as the favourites for this tie and they were indeed dominant in the scrum. The first try came early for Aylesford as they pushed the home defenders back over the line to score. Westcombe trailed 8-12 at half time but started the second half strongly, playing a running game to push ahead and just about deserve the win. Better kicking by either side would have been enough to win.

A kitchen was in operation in the bar area. I suffered a dreadful, half cold, steak and kidney pie for £1:50. Sausage or bacon rolls and chips looked better options. Disappointingly, there was no match programme issued. I picked up a copy of the previous day’s – a decent enough effort within a pre-printed shell.

(This post was edited by StephenHarris on Mar 26, 2012, 2:06 PM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 31, 2012, 7:22 PM

Post #130 of 1758 (77172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 31st March 2012
Broughton Park 16 Anselmians 10 (HT 8-10)
North One West
Admission £5 (including glossy 28-page programme)
Attendance 105 (h/c)
Refreshments available, but took my own

No surprise that two such clueless teams find themselves in a relegation dogfight come the fag end of the season. Both were in the bottom four (with three to go down) at kick-off, but Broughton Park have the better chance of escaping the drop after scraping victory in a tense, if wholly undistinguished, game. It was Park's second win on the trot (they beat fellow strugglers Wigton last week in another crunch fixture) having previously lost 11 in a row. A penalty and an unconverted try, taken well by the left wing after a scrum went against the feed, put the hosts 8-0 up inside 30 minutes. But Anselmians, from the Wirral, hit back with a close range try from their tighthead prop, a conversion and, with the last kick of the half, a field goal. The first 20 minutes of the second half was all Park, and they scored an unconverted try - a good break by their inside centre - and a penalty to lead 16-10. The Anselmians full-back missed a kickable penalty with seven minutes of normal time left and, despite the ref adding nine further minutes to the 80, the visitors simply could not muster the pace, wit or flair to force a winning score.

Broughton Park, formed in 1882, are among northern rugby union's more famous clubs, though the advent of paying players has rather left this decisively amateur outfit marooned in a sporting wilderness. The 'QPR of rugby union', Park have played at numerous grounds, mostly in the south of Manchester. Hough End, in Chorlton, near Manchester's rambling Southern Cemetery, has been their home since 2004. Better than the average rugby union set-up at this level, it boasts an impressive integrated clubhouse and stand, with superb viewing provided by an elevated tier of seats. A fine collection of club memorabilia in the bar includes team pictures going back to 1910. The remainder of the ground comprises uncovered, open hard and soft standing, though the side opposite the stand and the far end have grassy banks sculpted into terracing. The pitch, flat and wide, is excellent. Unusually, the ground is floodlit. Australia's rugby league Kangaroos are to be based here during the superior code's 2013 World Cup. The spacious Hough End site features four other rugby pitches, along with countless football pitches, some of which were in use for matches which appeared almost entirely devoid of skill.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/7032835251/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6886743104/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/7032837849/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/7032832567/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/7032831507/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/7032829895/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6886727494/in/photostream

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 31, 2012, 9:02 PM)

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 31, 2012, 8:38 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #131 of 1758 (77162 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 31st March 2012
U.S.A.P 47 Bayonne 9
France Orange 14 Competition
Admission 21 Euro's
Attendance - estimate 11,000
Proramme - glossy A4 colour sheet printed on both sides. Teams on one side and match details on the other. Free of charge on entering the ground

An unusual Rugby double was available in Perpignan today with USAP kicking off at 2.15pm and the Catalans Dragons at 6.30pm. I can't say I like giving money to the equivalent of a sporting mafia but I did today. The ground was nearly full on a very nice sunny day in Perpignan. Average game but I didn't expect anything else. It's a good ground to watch sport as the stands are raised up and close to the play. A bit like the Recreation Ground at Whitehaven. Close up to play I mean, not the grounds.

(This post was edited by Workington FC on Mar 31, 2012, 8:39 PM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Apr 1, 2012, 9:42 PM

Team(s):

Post #132 of 1758 (77126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

English Eggs Div 2 South: CLIFTON 31 REDRUTH 24

ADM: £10 inc. Prog ATT: 187

So plan A to get Team Solent done went once the lad wanted me to sort a car out for him. Little time to do anything else new so I had the chance to visit Station Road home of Clifton RFC. Now I've seen the ground before when watching footy at Cribbs (AXA as was) next door so had always wanted to get a game in here.

The walk from Sea Mills took me past three footy grounds namely Brizzle Manor Farm, Lawrence Weston and of course Cribbs Friends Life. First opportunity to take in the 'scenic' Severn Beach line too. Anyways the rugby ground is basically railed off with a 300 odd seated old wooden stand in the traditional sense. The game was always competitive and close fought with Clifton just about deserving their win against the Cornish visitors. Have to say the Welsh Prem offers better VFM but enjoyable day nonetheless.

KRTM Cool

cl
Youth Team Regular

Apr 15, 2012, 11:28 AM

Post #133 of 1758 (76934 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welsh Premiership

Pontypool 27 Newport 17

Admission £8 standing Prog £2

Of all the Union grounds in Wales this is the one I wanted to visit most having seen tv coverage of supporters packed up the hillside in the 70's and 80's and although I have walked across it not seen a game

Pontypool are about to be relegated for reasons that have no apparent logic as they are not in the bottom 2 but the WRU had decided to franchise what is the top level of club rugby below the regions and Pool have been excluded along initially with Bridgend but they have managed to reverse the decision

The ground has not had any investment for a long time and consists of a stand that once had close to a 1000 seats but is now standing to the rear and seats in front and the rest of the ground being open parkland on a non match day and indeed only a tape stops people walking in. Although it would be easy to avoid, everyone appeared to pay. Within the park on the far side is steep banking partly within and partly outside the tape which starts with 34 steps of terracing with crash barriers for the full length of the pitch and then become banking and then the natural hillside

Attendance was about 700 which is very good for the Premiership now although Newport are the traditional rivals and the support was a fair mix of ages which is not always the case at Welsh Club Rugby and even a substantial number of replica shirts on display

If the ground has a slightly run down feel the town has this to a greater extent with few shops and numerous closed pubs

The Moose
First Team Star

Apr 15, 2012, 6:58 PM

Team(s):

Post #134 of 1758 (76916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cl] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

April 14th: Welsh Eggs - PONTYPOOL 27 NEWPORT 17

Also at this one and quite enjoyed the game with Pooler worthy winners in the end getting a bonus point victory. Loved the setting in the local park similar to Carmarthen and on a decent spring day. The ground is indeed a relic from a time gone by all the better for it oozing character and charm. Locals I spoke to seem optimistic the appeal gone into the WRU will see them remain in the league for next season. IMHO Bedwas probably deserve to be relegated instead based upon league position and facilities but what do I know! Sad to see the 'Up and Under' pub all boarded up by the park entrance which seems to be a sign of the times.

Only negatives for me is there's no clubhouse which I thought was compulsory for rugby teams! The only facilities to be found are in the leisure centre opposite which means they're missing out on much needed revenue. Also minor grumble re the town is there's no sign to tell you which way to turn coming out of the local train station. So guess who went the wrong way along the canal towpath. I was probably half way to Cwmbran before I realised all was not well with my sense of direction Blush Just Aberavon left now in the premiership for me.

KRTM Cool

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 19, 2012, 9:42 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #135 of 1758 (76858 views)
Shortcut

A double header at the Richmond Athletic Ground on Sat 21st with Richmond v Lydney at 12.30 (the home team going for promotion and Lydney just above the drop zone with 2 games left) followed by London Scottish v Esher at 3 in the last game of their season.

The first one ending about 14.00 gives ample opportunity to double up elsewhere............

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 21, 2012, 6:32 PM

Post #136 of 1758 (76819 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 21st April 2012
Wath-upon-Dearne 19 Bradford Salem 17 (HT 9-14)
Yorkshire Two
Free admission
Programme £1 (24pp, excellent for this level of rugby union)
Attendance 300 (h/c)

The best season in Wath's history took another dramatic twist as they secured victory over promotion rivals Bradford Salem thanks to a strong late surge. Wath, to play Wells at Twickenham in a fortnight in the Senior Vase Final, trailed 17-9 going into the last 10 minutes and looked odds-on losers. But in the 72nd minute their scrum-half scored a try in the corner, the full-back converted superbly from the touchline, and the latter kicked a decisive penalty awarded in front of the posts with a minute of normal time remaining. Wath now need to win one of their outstanding two league games (both away) to pip Salem to promotion and go up alongside champions and local rivals Barnsley. Wath, for whom defeat by Salem would have ended promotion hopes, earned a place in Yorkshire Two only last season by taking the Yorkshire Three title.

The hosts led with an eighth minute penalty, but Salem, very strong in the forwards, replied with converted close-range tries in the 19th and 38th minutes. Wath, who never looked like crossing in the first half, added two more penalties through their full-back's boot to trail 14-9 at the break. Salem edged further clear with a 48th-minute penalty before Wath provided that thrilling finish to a fairly dull, though undoubtedly tense, forwards-dominated encounter.

Wath's Moor Road ground is no great shakes. It's part of a public park, which also features a cricket square and a bowling green. It lacks both cover and floodlights. Each side is roped off. Fringed by trees, it has a pleasantly rural feel, which is a little surprising because the former coal mining communities in the Dearne Valley are as grim as Yorkshire gets. The clubhouse is a two-minute walk across the park.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6953874452/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/7099943557/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6953873366/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6953872940/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6953870206/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6953868344/in/photostream

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Apr 21, 2012, 10:15 PM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Apr 22, 2012, 4:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #137 of 1758 (76771 views)
Shortcut

Sat 21st: Welsh Prem - ABERAVON 75 CROSS KEYS 29

ADM: £8 PROG: £1 ATT: h/c 525

So the journey across the valleys ended with a trip to Port Talbot and the fantastic relic that is home to the Wizards. I appear to have saved one of the best till last with terracing on all four sides a covered end and ricketty old wooded main stand. Surrounded by hills / mountains on three sides the Talbot Athletic ground is a lovely setting to watch sport in. Although eggchasing will never replace footy as my number one pastime of a weekend I've thoroughly enjoyed my visits to the 70's throwbacks the Welsh Prem offers you. Think of Springfield Park, Wigan and you get near to what some of the grounds are like.

I expect many of you have passed the ground on the way to Swansea City in the past and wondered what hidden gem with old school lights lies just off the M4. It's well worth a diversion here if only for the opportunity to reminis of days gone by as Aberavon much akin to the rest of this league is like Matlock, Buxton, Merthyr and even Plough Lane Wimbledon. Wonderful archaic ramshackled grounds and yes I'm going to miss them now I'm reverting back from the dark side!

Oh by the way the Wizards won a one sided match by eleven tries to five against a second string Keys outfit who are clearly focussed on the B&I and Swalec cup finals to come. Over a hundred points scored, decent home made chicken curry from the tea bar and the chance to relive my youth at a ground stuck in a time warp, what's not to like Smile

KRTM Cool

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Apr 30, 2012, 11:08 AM

Post #138 of 1758 (76694 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 29 April 2012
Cranbrook beat Brockleians – Kent Salver Final
Gillingham Anchorians beat Dartfordians - Kent Vase Final
Tonbridge Juddians II 26 - 18 Medway RFC - Kent Plate Final
Canterbury 22 – 14 Westcombe Park - Kent Cup Final
Entry: £3; att: 600 h/c; programme issued.

Kent Finals day, with four matches on two pitches over five and a half hours, played at Medway RFC in Rochester. The Priestfields Recreation Ground is a council-owned facility, home to four rugby and two football pitches. The two main rugby pitches are floodlit, but do not offer much in the way of spectator facilities other than grass banking and a few wooden benches. Both pitches were roped off along the sides for these games. The main pitch is overlooked from its west side by the single storey clubhouse, which has a large concrete patio giving a raised view over the pitch.

The first game kicked-off on pitch two at 12 noon in pouring rain and the last game finished on pitch one at 5pm in warm sunshine. Most types of weather featured in between and the whole surrounds became a slippery sea of mud. I watched large chunks of each of the three warm-up games, and then the Cup Final in its entirety. Only the Tonbridge Juddians team was actually billed as a second XV, but I think that all eight teams were somewhere short of first team status. All eight had supporters present, with Westcombe Park best supported of the seven ‘away’ teams, having brought a coachload down from south-east London. Much beer was drunk and some ‘rugby-behaviour’ was noted.

In the Cup final, Westcombe moved to a 9-0 lead after 10 minutes or so, taking advantage of a series of penalties. But Canterbury were much stronger in open play, leading 19-14 for much of the second half before sealing the game with a late penalty just as it looked as if ‘Combe might get back in to it.

Additional refreshment facilities were set up in marquees for this event, with a hog roast, chips, burgers, locally-made pork pies and other delights on offer. It was hard to put a figure on the attendance as people were coming and going depending upon which match they were here to see, whilst spectators at one game might be players in the next – but somewhere between 500 and 700 I would say. The match programme was included with admission and covered all four games – unfortunately it did not contain as much information about the clubs and competitions as I would have liked. Overall, all quite enjoyable, despite the weather.

(This post was edited by StephenHarris on Apr 30, 2012, 1:10 PM)

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 30, 2012, 4:39 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #139 of 1758 (76663 views)
Shortcut

I also popped into the event in Rochester for an hour or so, I was in the area at the time anyway.

TBH I didn't know much about the teams involved and my knowledge of rugby is rather limited but it's something I've become more interested in recently, all very enjoyable despite the naff weather.

Somebody mentioned that Tonbridge Juddians first team had lost a play off final to Chinnor the previous day.

(This post was edited by Isaac on Apr 30, 2012, 9:28 PM)

SKY BLUE TAT
Youth Team Regular

May 5, 2012, 7:40 PM

Team(s): coventry city ,leicester tigers, coventry bees, leicestershire ccc

Post #140 of 1758 (76584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SATURDAY 5th MAY
AVIVA PREMIERSHIP
LEICESTER TIGERS v BATH RUGBY. 28-3
ATTENDANCE. 24,000
ADMISSION £ 21 ( standing.)
PROGRAMME. £ 3

Leicester got the win they needed for a home semi final next week in front of a sellout crowd at Welford road. The first half was very stop start and tigers were unable to break a poor Bath team down. Leicester were 3-0 up at the break thanks to a Toby Flood penalty. The 2nd half belonged to tigers who scored 3 tries through A.Allen, a penalty try and H.Agulla. B.Twelvetrees kicked 2 penalties and 2 conversions. Bath's only points came from a penalty from Olly Barkley early in the 2nd half.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 5, 2012, 7:47 PM

Post #141 of 1758 (76582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SKY BLUE TAT] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The first half was very stop start

That's the essence of rugby union, surely!

Ostrich
First Team Sub

May 5, 2012, 8:24 PM

Post #142 of 1758 (76574 views)
Shortcut

Match 2

Saturday 5 May 2012
President’s Day fixture (13:30)
Old Yardleians under-16’s – 24 Five Ways OE’s under-16’s -13
No admission or programme.
Attendance - 139 (h/c) (of which, at any one time, approximately 50% were watching the game, 30% were queueing in the bar and 20% were queuing at the barbecue). (Plus 3 canines, a heron, and a few thousand mosquito-like horse-flies congregated around one side of the pitch – which I hastily avoided!)

I arrived from Shirley Town Reserves’ postponed match to find organised chaos in progress with various teams warming up and various mini-rugby participants happily racing round the seconds pitch. I believe a mini-rugby game was actually taking place, but it wasn’t entirely clear.

The entrance is a narrow track off Tilehouse Lane 200 yards south of Whitlock’s End station, and I had to run the gauntlet of a stream of arriving cars. Parking on site for at least 100 vehicles. To the right is the club house, which isn’t as imposing as it looks when viewed from Highgate United’s ground which it backs onto – in fact I had, last season, watched 10 minutes of rugby here during half-time in a Midland Alliance match, as you can hop over the intervening ditch between the two clubs!

The bar is quite small, but the usual honours and captains boards were on display, complete with a collection of around 250 rugby club ties from teams across the globe. Outside, I was served with a hot-dog from the barbecue (£1.50) but the onions were watery and turned the bread bun and the tissue paper into an amorphous mess. The sausage was quite tasty!

The organised chaos eventually morphed into a presentation of trophies to the mini-players and juniors which we dutifully applauded. Then, 10 minutes late to the annoyance of the match referee, it was on with the U-16’s game, which turned out to be 30 minutes each way.

Old Yardleians U-16s are, I gleaned, a bit of a joint venture with Birmingham and Solihull Bees U-16s, which led to a strong home side being fielded. However, coaches from both these clubs were prowling the touchlines shouting instructions at the home team, which was slightly confusing. The match started evenly with a FW.10 penalty miss from 30 yards just wide, followed by OY.26 forcing a try in the left hand corner and OY.10 brilliantly converting from the touchline, the ball bouncing off the cross-bar and over.

This was a game of intelligent, thoughtful rugby, but it didn’t pay to think about it too long on the pitch because both sides were pacy and when following up, were often on the opposition before they knew it. There were some well-worked back moves, kicking from hand was largely accurate, and at least one of the OY backs possessed a wicked side-step which gained him many, many yards running.

After 15m, FW.6 grounded a push-over try from 10 yards, Old Yardleians then made it 12-5 on 26m after pressure had won them a 5m scrum and a break by OY.20 saw him over in the left hand corner. A FW.10 penalty bounced in off a post to make it 12-8 at the break.

The away side took the lead on 36m, with KE.14 going over in the corner following a quickly taken penalty, and on 43m, I thought Yardleians might have blown it when they gave up an easy penalty attempt from dead centre in favour of kicking the ball into the corner, but the kick was poorly directed and KE regained possession.

However, Yardleians raised their game and as their opponents tired, they started to gain yardage with searing runs from the back, and bulldozed through to score two tries on 52m and 57m. KE.13 was ejected from play by the referee for some skulduggery or other (substitution was allowed), but overall it was a clean, fast-paced, absorbing match.

With the game finishing at 14:45, it was time for a quick sprint up the road for Match 3 …..

to be continued back on the WDYG thread ….

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

May 14, 2012, 9:51 AM

Post #143 of 1758 (76468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 13 May 2012, 3:00pm: London Welsh 17-24 Bedford Blues; RU Championship – Play-Off; att: 3,010; Entry £15; programme issued.

With beer-swilling, fancy-dress clad rugby fans clogging all of London’s public transport in London on Sunday morning (heading to the Sevens at Twickenham) it was hard to guess that there was also a serious match taking place at Old Deer Park. The Championship play-offs are, typically, a bit of a nonsense. Newcastle are in theory ‘relegated’ from the Premiership, with Welsh, Bedford, Cornish Pirates and Bristol playing off for the single promotion spot. Except that ..... Bedford and Cornish Pirates have been told that they will not go up even if they win. Bristol would be promoted, but they are now out, having lost to Pirates over two legs. That leaves Welsh, who have lodged an ‘appeal’. They say they have two options on grounds to play on next season “Both of which have hosted Premiership and Heineken Cup rugby this season”. Favourite rumour around the ground yesterday was that one option might be a groundshare with Harlequins at The Stoop. Overall, Newcastle might not be worrying too much just yet.

This was actually a pretty good game, highly competitive, largely error-free, and pretty tough. It was noticeable that almost all of the crowd were, for once, actually watching. Welsh dominated the first half hour, during which I do not think the ball entered their half, but had just 9 points to show for that domination. From here on, Bedford just got stronger and stronger. By the end, Welsh were very much on the back foot, but Bedford could not quite score enough points, and the score left the two-leg aggregate at 30-27.

This was a big crowd by Old Deer Park standards. Since my last visit, several units of temporary, uncovered seating have been placed on the east side of the ground where a couple of months ago there was some temporary, uncovered terracing. And additional standing was provided yesterday behind each goal in the sophisticated form of a line of wooden pallets. Kevin and I were fortunate enough to find a perch on the rail in the tiny paddock in front of the stand from where we had a good view.

There were a whole host of additional catering facilities set out on the grass in front of the pavilion yesterday. We stuck to liquid refreshment in the form of cask London Pride. The usual heavyweight, but advert-laden, London Welsh match programme was issued. Interestingly, the home leg of the Play-Off final will be played at a ‘venue to be advised’.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

May 15, 2012, 11:25 AM

Post #144 of 1758 (76412 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Sunday 13 May 2012, 3:00pm: London Welsh 17-24 Bedford Blues; RU Championship – Play-Off; att: 3,010; Entry £15; programme issued.

The Championship play-offs are, typically, a bit of a nonsense. Newcastle are in theory ‘relegated’ from the Premiership, with Welsh, Bedford, Cornish Pirates and Bristol playing off for the single promotion spot. Except that ..... Bedford and Cornish Pirates have been told that they will not go up even if they win. Bristol would be promoted, but they are now out, having lost to Pirates over two legs. That leaves Welsh, who have lodged an ‘appeal’. They say they have two options on grounds to play on next season “Both of which have hosted Premiership and Heineken Cup rugby this season”. Favourite rumour around the ground yesterday was that one option might be a groundshare with Harlequins at The Stoop. Overall, Newcastle might not be worrying too much just yet.
Interestingly, the home leg of the Play-Off final will be played at a ‘venue to be advised’.

I'm not usually in the habit of quoting from my own posts!

London Welsh have now said that The Stoop is not one of the grounds they are considering for next season should they be promoted, but that Oxford United's Kassam Stadium is. Indeed Oxford has been announced as the venue for the 'home' leg of the Play-Off final on 30 May. Seems bonkers to me.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

May 15, 2012, 1:26 PM

Post #145 of 1758 (76399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

The Championship play-offs are, typically, a bit of a nonsense. Newcastle are in theory ‘relegated’ from the Premiership, with Welsh, Bedford, Cornish Pirates and Bristol playing off for the single promotion spot. Except that ..... Bedford and Cornish Pirates have been told that they will not go up even if they win. Bristol would be promoted, but they are now out, having lost to Pirates over two legs. That leaves Welsh, who have lodged an ‘appeal’. They say they have two options on grounds to play on next season “Both of which have hosted Premiership and Heineken Cup rugby this season”. Favourite rumour around the ground yesterday was that one option might be a groundshare with Harlequins at The Stoop. Overall, Newcastle might not be worrying too much just yet.
Interestingly, the home leg of the Play-Off final will be played at a ‘venue to be advised’.

I'm not usually in the habit of quoting from my own posts!

London Welsh have now said that The Stoop is not one of the grounds they are considering for next season should they be promoted, but that Oxford United's Kassam Stadium is. Indeed Oxford has been announced as the venue for the 'home' leg of the Play-Off final on 30 May. Seems bonkers to me.

Can confirm the above, told to me chapter and verse by an Oxford United person yesterday. London - Welsh, suppose Oxford is almost halfway between the two, and there are lots of Welsh people or decendants of Welsh people in the area near the Stadium Cool

The Moose
First Team Star

Aug 12, 2012, 3:06 PM

Team(s):

Post #146 of 1758 (75774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sat Aug 11th: PSF - BATH 40 LONDON WELSH 31

ADM: £10 ATT: 4,493 PROG: none they couldn't be bothered!

Pleasant afternoon in the sunshine and a five try to four win for the locals which was easier than the score suggests. I don't think either side will trouble the top four mind and both defences seem a tad fragile. Missed opportunity by not producing a programme as there was a decent crowd in so money could've been made. That said many of those there were more interested in trying out the new two pint buckets of beer!

KRTM Cool

simonblues
Youth Team Regular

Aug 31, 2012, 8:38 PM

Post #147 of 1758 (75556 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 1st September
Here we go again -

First match of the season - Midlands 1 West

WALSALL v BERKSWELL & BALSALL

Possibly last season at Delves Road.

zebedee
First Team Star

Sep 9, 2012, 11:30 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #148 of 1758 (75414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonblues] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sale Sharks 16-23 Saracens
Premiership

This was my first rugby union match in several years and Sale's first competitive match in their new home of the Salford City Stadium. This wasn't a particularly exciting match with the first half seeing each side score a few penalties but not really come close to scoring a try. Sale did eventually score a try early in the second half when a Saracens pass was intercepted and one of Sale's wingers ran seventy or so metres to score. However Saracens were the better team overall and managed a try of their own in the corner (allowed after consultation from the TV official) and then extending their advantage with a couple more penalties.

Having watched much more league than union in recent years it took some time to get use to seeing sides kicking for goal when given a penalty twenty yards out rather than running.

SKY BLUE TAT
Youth Team Regular

Sep 11, 2012, 10:01 PM

Team(s): coventry city ,leicester tigers, coventry bees, leicestershire ccc

Post #149 of 1758 (75352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MONDAY 10th SEPTEMBER
AVIVA PREMIERSHIP 'A' LEAGUE
LEICESTER TIGERS A v NEWCASTLE FALCONS A
Admission .free complementary
team sheet -free.

A wet evening at Welford Road . A healthy crowd saw a comfortable win for Tigers who ran in 7 tries to Newcastle's 2. Leicester got 5 of their tries in the first half to lead 31-13. A closer affair in the 2nd half . Leicester won the match 45-23.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Sep 15, 2012, 5:36 PM

Post #150 of 1758 (75279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SKY BLUE TAT] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National 3 Midlands
Sutton Coldfield RFC 60 Derby RFC 5
Admission: £5 (non member). They tried to sell me membership. Do the maths: membership = £60 + £1 admission x 13 league fixtures = £73. Non membership admission = £5 x 13 league fixtures = £65. Right …..
Programme: with admission, 20pp glossy but flatters to deceive. 11.5 pp adverts and (compared to the previous home game programme, which was available free in the bar) 2 articles and all the photos were generic).
Attendance: 172 (h/c, as best you can judge these things, given the floating population back and forth to the bar)
Refreshments: ½ Strongbow and ham cob £1.40 at the bar. Teas, coffees, burgers, hot pork/chicken sandwiches available at an outside BBQ.

A pleasant, warm day to get the Ostrich’s rugby season underway, and the objectives this year will be to complete ticking the 10 teams I need to see in this division, plus recomplete Midlands 1 West, the level below, in which I need three teams.

Sutton won promotion into this league with an unbeaten record. This was their third game in N3M, the highest level they’ve played at, and they have now won all three, but it has to be noted two of those have been against fellow promotees, the visitors today having won Midlands 1 East last season. Sutton haven’t run up against any of the division’s big beasts yet, like Ampthill, and it will be interesting to see how they get on when they do.

The home side nearly took the lead in 43 seconds when speedy winger Burchill was forced into touch by a last-gasp tackle a few yards out. But despite constant Sutton pressure, Derby opened the scoring when Miller mishandled in midfield and gave possession to Marlow who had an easy canter in. Sutton’s Edwards went over after 10m but play was called back for offside. Then on 15m, Miller equalised with a try in the left corner, and following that, it was more or less one way traffic. Sutton added tries from Edwards, Burchill, Mark Sutton and Evans to lead 31-5 at the interval, and although Derby rallied at the start of the second half to at least have an equal share of play, Sutton’s clinical finishing continued to rack up points with further tries from Tait, Raistrick, Miller, Burchill and Tweedie, by which time the Derby defence was in disarray and blaming each other.

It was a clean game with only one minor bout of handbags following some Derby dullskuggery in a maul (a Derby forward was clearly short-arm jabbing an opponent in the ribs). Chatting with the miked referee’s watcher (assessor) at the interval (they are far more approachable than their soccer counterparts, I reckon), I learnt that they aim to watch each referee around 8-10 times a season at this level, and today’s referee, Ben Ward, who confusingly played in virtually the same yellow and black strip as Derby, was only in his 3rd or 4th appointment at this level. He seemed happy to let the game flow, and I thought overall he had a good game.

On the adjacent pitch (I patrol the touchlines between the two), Sutton 2nds tanked Droitwich Saxons by 76 or thereabouts to 3, with the referee taking pity on the visitors and ending the match 15 minutes early! Imagine the furore if that happened in soccer!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3