Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Recycling

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 24, 2012, 3:09 PM

Post #1 of 16 (1344 views)
Shortcut
Recycling Can't Post or Reply Privately

For years we've recycled. We have a large garden and at the bottom of it we have two large compost bins. We take the time to put our recyclable bottles (not glass), wrappers and all other packaging in our recycling bin and that is put out on a Sunday night ready for emptying by the bin men on a Monday morning.

A new recycling regime is being introduced in our area. We now have new recycling bins for cardboard and paper. We thought it was a good idea. That is until we realised that the bins have no lids. Windy days will see litter strewn across the street. Whoever dreamt up that idea must be a can short of a six pack!

But there's more. We received a little booklet with our bins telling us what we can and cannot recycle. Just a brief read was all we needed to realise that under the new regime we will be recycling less than we were before. For example, drinks cartons, even if they have the recycling symbol, must now be put in the waste bin!

We have been given food waste bins that will attract cats, rats etc. and although we have very little waste in our house I foresee all kinds of scavengers being attracted to these bins in the summer as they sit outside waiting to be collected.

I don't know how much the average councillor is payed, but whoever is responsible for this debacle really needs to lose his/her job.

Here's a news item about it.

http://www.clactonandfrintongazette.co.uk/...anger_and_confusion/

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

VP

Apr 24, 2012, 4:17 PM

Post #2 of 16 (1329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Recycling [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Our council didn't introduce recycling bins until fairly recently. Before then all I recycled was glass.
Now we've got them I throw nearly everything in it. I'm not sure if half the stuff should go in there but my view is that someone's going to have to sort it out so they can decide what should and shouldn't be in there.
Luckily I've got a communal bin shared by another 11 flats so anything that shouldn't be in there won't result in me getting a bollocking from the council!
I know batteries can't go into it but I've recently started on electronic cigarettes and I haven't got a clue if the used atomisers should go in there.
Today I've actually contemplated throwing my old bass guitar into it. It's too old and knackered to sell and I don't play it anymore so need to get rid of it somehow.

UKPunk

Apr 24, 2012, 4:20 PM

Post #3 of 16 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Recycling [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Haven't you got a local recycling centre? Ours in on the outskirts of town and takes just about anything.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Apr 24, 2012, 4:22 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 16 (1324 views)
Shortcut

The main problem is that we do not have a national recycling policy, and every district council (400+) can do something different. I don't know why we even have the recycling symbol on products in the UK, because it is totally meaningless.

In Ipswich our system works fairly well - one blue bin for recycling, one brown bin for garden waste, and a black bin for everything else. At the moment our local composting depot is being upgraded so that we will be able to put food waste in the brown bin at some point in the near future. As a household we are pretty good (we also collect plastic bags, cartons and glass in a separate bin to take to the tip) and have downsized our brown and black bins as they are rarely used (the black bin has about one small bag every two weeks, largely things like foil crisp packets).

I feel particularly sorry for those who live in areas where they use boxes or bags rather than wheelie bins - the money that is supposedly available to councils to reinstate weekly collections should be spent on providing proper bins to those areas that don't have them.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Apr 24, 2012, 4:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 16 (1319 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I know batteries can't go into it but I've recently started on electronic cigarettes and I haven't got a clue if the used atomisers should go in there.

Very likely not - the best place to take anything electrical is your local household waste site.

UKPunk

Apr 24, 2012, 4:38 PM

Post #6 of 16 (1315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Recycling [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We went to the Tendring Hundred show last year and visited the recycling tent. One of the guys in there told me that some packaging that displays the recycling symbol cannot in fact be recycled and that the manufacturers display the symbol to get some sort of tax break from the government or EU or some such body.

I don't know whether that's true or not but I wuldn't be surprised if it is.

VP

Apr 24, 2012, 5:11 PM

Post #7 of 16 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Recycling [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Very likely not - the best place to take anything electrical is your local household waste site.

The atomiser part isn't electrical. It's just like a cigarette butt but made of metal, plastic and wool (or something).
Anyroadup - I've just had a Google and it turns out you can reuse the atomisers loads of times if you give them a good clean out once in a while. I've only chucked one away so far cos I'm fairly new to this lark and thought that once it stopped working that was it.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 24, 2012, 5:33 PM

Post #8 of 16 (1300 views)
Shortcut

Batteries our Sainsbury's has a bin for these, though I don't know about other supermarkets in our area. Have a look in yours.

Recycling in general:
All we are doing in this farce is sorting some of our rubbish for our local authorities. How much is truly recycled and how much still ends up in landfill somewhere in the world? You could write a 20,000 word dissertation on the subject and only scratch the surface. So many different schemes around the country some want more sorting of 'recyclables' than others to ensure that companies who buy the product have 'clean' waste. And how much of Britain's waste comes from our homes? It's quite a low proportion AFAIK: 10-20% maybe. The rest is commercial and industrial.

I am not knocking the practice because I am appalled by our wasteful habits. In the late 80s, the small company that I worked for moved offices and at the same time replaced all of its ageing PC and printers, along with various other electrical items that were dead (heaters, kettles, a microwave), along with some fairly tired furniture. We could not find anyone to take any items away and dispose of them properly, not even a scrap metal dealer (too small a load). Things are better now but could be much better still and too many people still have a couldn't care less approach.

And then there's...no I'd better stop there else I'd still be going at 10pm. Mad

EDIT:
Why are some people drawn to dumping furniture in watercourses?

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Apr 24, 2012, 5:39 PM)

UKPunk

Apr 24, 2012, 5:53 PM

Post #9 of 16 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Recycling [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
EDIT:
Why are some people drawn to dumping furniture in watercourses?

And shopping trolleys.

VP

Apr 24, 2012, 8:53 PM

Post #10 of 16 (1280 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Recycling [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Rant

Have they worked out how to recycle fridges yet or is there still a mountain of them somewhere?

Jamesie
Deleted

Apr 25, 2012, 10:57 AM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 16 (1239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Recycling [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
A new recycling regime is being introduced in our area. We now have new recycling bins for cardboard and paper. We thought it was a good idea. That is until we realised that the bins have no lids. Windy days will see litter strewn across the street. Whoever dreamt up that idea must be a can short of a six pack!

When they introduced this up our way about two years ago, they provided a little "hood" akin to a shower cap to go on the box to keep it dry and contained. The thing is these got lost/robbed/mislaid/blown away so they replaced it with one with a tie string to attach it to the blue box's handle. Still doesn't stop the boxes ending up being blown three streets down the way with the typical Sheffield wind.

The embarrassing thing about recycling is how many bottles we get through in a fortnight. Blush

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 25, 2012, 1:38 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #12 of 16 (1217 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Have they worked out how to recycle fridges yet or is there still a mountain of them somewhere?

No - they're kept in cold storage

acmold

Apr 25, 2012, 4:07 PM

Post #13 of 16 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Recycling [In reply to] Can't Post or

Around here you can get fined if you don't re-cycle correctly, we have brown bins for garden waste we have to pay an extra 36 a year to have garden waste re-cycled, food caddies for food waste, blue bins for cardboard, paper, glass, metal and plastic, and lilac bags for other waste - one a week allowed.

Or local re-cycling centre has had to close to the public during the week as to much stuff was being re-cycled !.

Most supermarkets will take old batteries, Wilkinsons and Lidl are the two I use.

I keep any metel waste as the price of scrap is now so high it is worth keeping and sorting it out and taking it along to the scrapman when you have a car full. Most scrape yards take a number of other things as well as metal. Cable is currently 1,200 a tonne, computer boards and old electic motors are worth a bob or two and the casings from most white goods and computers are worth taking as they are usually made of aluminium and that is around 1,000 a tonne.

One of my relations was telling me he was paid to take a old caravan off some land, he took it home stripped the panels off of it and got 300 scrap value as they were aluminium. As the price for aluminium is so high at present I have noticed that the number of drinks cans being thrown down in the street has decreased, I have seen people going round with carrier bags picking up the cans !.

UKPunk

Apr 25, 2012, 11:55 PM

Post #14 of 16 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Recycling [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Around here you can get fined if you don't re-cycle correctly, we have brown bins for garden waste we have to pay an extra 36 a year to have garden waste re-cycled, food caddies for food waste, blue bins for cardboard, paper, glass, metal and plastic, and lilac bags for other waste - one a week allowed.

I've heard that some councils employ people to do spot checks on some of the rubbish and what goes in the recycling bags and boxes. Is that how it works in your area Andy?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 26, 2012, 12:43 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #15 of 16 (1168 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I've heard that some councils employ people to do spot checks on some of the rubbish and what goes in the recycling bags and boxes. Is that how it works in your area Andy?

I lived in Billericay for a while and they had semi-transparent pink binliner-type bags to put your recyclables in. This meant the binmen could see what was inside. On a couple of occasions, I'd come home to find the pink bag hadn't been collected, but with a council label on it, on which the binmen had ticked one of several boxes telling me what I'd incorrectly put in the bag and where I could go for more advice on recycling. Unsure

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 26, 2012, 10:19 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #16 of 16 (1148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Recycling [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Or local re-cycling centre has had to close to the public during the week as to much stuff was being re-cycled !.

Most supermarkets will take old batteries, Wilkinsons and Lidl are the two I use.

I keep any metel waste as the price of scrap is now so high it is worth keeping and sorting it out and taking it along to the scrapman when you have a car full. Most scrape yards take a number of other things as well as metal. Cable is currently 1,200 a tonne, computer boards and old electic motors are worth a bob or two and the casings from most white goods and computers are worth taking as they are usually made of aluminium and that is around 1,000 a tonne.

One of my relations was telling me he was paid to take a old caravan off some land, he took it home stripped the panels off of it and got 300 scrap value as they were aluminium. As the price for aluminium is so high at present I have noticed that the number of drinks cans being thrown down in the street has decreased, I have seen people going round with carrier bags picking up the cans !.

When I was a student, in the days before recycling was seen as an obligation, I used to sell my old newspapers for recycling. Happy days. Now I pay for them to be taken away through my council tax.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3