First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

May 4, 2012, 11:24 AM

Team(s): Yeovil Town FC

Post #1 of 38 (75457 views)
Shortcut
The 2012-13 NLM Prediction League Can't Post or Reply Privately

For several seasons now, vienna, RRYFS, BlueUpNorth & I have been running this reasonably popular competition for TK initially, and now NLM.

For the 2011-12 season, vienna has kindly donated a 2013 Non-League Directory (as yet unpublished!) for the winner and has pledged to repeat this small generosity with a 2014 Directory for the winner of next season's competition.

The four Admins work extremely hard for ten months of the year to bring our gamers well in excess of a thousand matches, drawn from Steps 1 to 6 + games from every Round of the big three knock-out tournaments, per season... and while predicting every fixture provided will be no mean feat, to qualify for the prize, one has only actually a need to predict a minimal 58% of available games.
The prize is awarded to the gamer with superior PPG over the season, subject to having made enough predictions.

We need new players for next season, the more the merrier. The game is not exclusive to NLM gamers, so get your friends, relatives, work colleagues & social (and Facebook?) mates to join in the fun. If you are a member of any footie websites/forums elsewhere, get permission to advertise us there. You can set-up your own Private League tournaments within the game, so use that fact to draw in new players too.

The points one wins (to inform one's PPG) come from (a) predicting the exact correct scoreline from a given match, worth 3 points and marked as a Win on the game's main merit table; (b) failing predicting the exact correct scoreline from a given match, nevertheless correctly assigning the H/A win or draw, worth 1 point and marked as a Draw on the game's main merit table; (c) any other incorrect result predicted for a given match, worth 0 points and marked as a Loss on the game's main merit table.
A PPG hovering near 0.7 would be a very good return and might well win the prize!

The current 2011-12 game may be found at http://www.nlpl.co.uk/.../index.php?cmd=table for reference and one may sign-up already for next season's game. This season's standings will remain onsite until 30th. June at least, but will be reset for the coming season shortly thereafter.

Most matches in the game will be set a few weeks in advance of their playing dates, however admin. only guarantees a 24-hour-prior policy, meaning basically, there will never be any matches set up giving gamers less than 24 hours notice of their presence. We restrict to 24 hours, because of the obvious 'imminence problem' that may otherwise affect end-of-season play-offs!

Occasionally illness/connectivity problems DO affect administrators' ability to input fixtures and we have a policy of replacing any/all fixtures so 'missed' at later dates... we try to ensure gamers average two-dozen fixtures each 'normal' playing-week (Sat. to Fri.) & 32 fixtures per Bank Holiday weekend.

Postponements are monitored and re-dated regularly and if for any reason there happens to be any substantial 'glitch' with a given match (e.g. a league brings forward some match with under 24 hours warning, etc.), we may remove it from the system - but replace with a new match at a later date.

If any gamer falls ill, has connectivity problems, holidays, etc. - the game maintains a 'contingency' default-scoreline mechanism - but this HAS TO BE primed by each gamer individually - whereby a cover-all scoreline (say 1-0) is registered by the gamer, who then MUST actully use his "PREDICT" button to apply that default value to his outstanding predictions.

We advise all gamers to do this as a matter of course, on a regular basis, and always whenever admin. has added a new group of fixtures to the game (**NB** very often new fixtures begin life in the game as 'TBA's, only later being designated an actual division & then teams... do your default predictions as soon as you see the 'TBA's appear!).

Further to this and by private, prior arrangement - any gamers not fancying leaving a swath of games to a single default scoreline - may ask vienna (a regular top-player) to duplicate his own predictions for them, or to assign them simple 2-1,1-1,1-2 scorelines (or variants) in accordance to how vienna predicts his own picks. These latter services are however limited in duration and should not exceed a fortnight in any case!

We have a 'hard-core' two-dozen players who rarely miss a single prediction and for 2012-13 I'd like to see us get 100+ regular players... there's over 4000 of us registered here on this Forum. Lets see if 3% would come and enjoy our game in the new season - making all admin's hard work and effort that much more worthwhile and rewarding!

Inherited by AngusGF

bbcgull
Reserve Team Regular

May 8, 2012, 10:08 AM

Team(s): Torquay United, Real Salt Lake, United Services Portsmouth

Post #2 of 38 (75317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kernovian] The 2012-13 NLM Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I missed this season - not even sure why. Im in... thoiugh i can't remember how to join????

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

May 8, 2012, 1:49 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #3 of 38 (75306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbcgull] The 2012-13 NLM Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The link kernovian provided doesn't work for me!

I used http://www.nlpl.co.uk/ and then clicked the link to 'Angus's game'.

If you ever registered for a previous season's game, I happen to know that that registration still exists. If not, the registration process is the usual/easy.

Professional cretin.

(This post was edited by Mister TwoU on May 8, 2012, 1:50 PM)

derekn
First Team Star

May 9, 2012, 2:27 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #4 of 38 (75236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] The 2012-13 NLM Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've just signed up. I'm sure it can't possibly be as complicated as it sounds!

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

May 12, 2012, 12:42 PM

Post #5 of 38 (75143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] The 2012-13 NLM Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You're right. It's easy once you get used to it.

The number of predictions you need to make each week is a bit daunting I guess, but it thoroughly covers every division in steps 1 to 6. I think every team in steps 1 to 4 gets at least three or four mentions and also seems that those in steps 5 & 6 appear at least twice each.

Mind you, I did really well this season, so I'm bound to be enthusiastic!

Professional cretin.

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

May 23, 2012, 10:56 AM

Post #6 of 38 (74656 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kernovian] The 2012-13 NLM Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We're still recruiting players to come and compete in next season's extravaganza!

Inherited by AngusGF

burrow
Youth Team Sub

May 23, 2012, 7:17 PM

Team(s): Chester FC

Post #7 of 38 (74628 views)
Shortcut

I've just signed up and I really like doing predictions so you can put my name down.

All these different languages the world over yet there is only one when you laugh or cry. burrow

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

May 24, 2012, 11:45 AM

Post #8 of 38 (74563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burrow] The 2012-13 NLM Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good stuff. We'll keep you well entertained then. Angus & Richard provided nearly 1100 fixtures in the compy. just finished.

Don't forget that entry is NOT limited to actual Forum users, so friends & family are most welcome to join in - and it IS possible to set-up and run your own private leagues within the main game.

There IS also a small prize awarded for the player achieving the best PPG Average over a minimum of 58% of the provided matches too - 'Fanatic', our 2012-13 champion is set to be awarded the 2013 Non-League Directory upon its publication.

Once registered, you are IN. Just don't forget to enter your predictions each week!

Inherited by AngusGF

Football Man
Youth Team Sub

May 27, 2012, 11:39 PM

Team(s): Hitchin, Royston, Langford, Stotfold, the Biggleswades

Post #9 of 38 (74325 views)
Shortcut

The organisers do a great job, and the lengths they go to, and the depths they plunge, helps me maintain an interest in all levels of non-league. FA Vase predictions being particularly tricky as you have to compare form in different leagues at steps 5-7.

If you visit the site, and look at the list of past winners, you will see I have been reasonably successful. Last season went horribly wrong - I feel like Chelsea, out of the top four, without any idea what actually did go wrong, but now engaging in blind panic to try and re-establish my rightful place at numero uno. Except I don't have any money to throw at it. And I wrote my prediction programme so long ago that I can't fathom how to update it. So, not like Chelsea at all.

Good luck to all for 2012 - 13. Please join us.

Football Man

burrow
Youth Team Sub

May 28, 2012, 9:49 AM

Post #10 of 38 (74290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Football Man] The 2012-13 NLM Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I run a prediction league on another forum and I know the time you have to give it, if it is to run properly. Whoever runs it, to keep the members happy you have to have the results up, like yesterday, or people will drop out thinking you aren't giving it your all. If you make a slight blunder they are on to you in a flash which is a good thing because it means they are reading it and they also keep you alert.

All these different languages the world over yet there is only one when you laugh or cry. burrow

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

May 28, 2012, 11:18 AM

Post #11 of 38 (74283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burrow] The 2012-13 NLM Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I only started doing this one this last season and it's brilliant. Bloody hard work, but really great. I think its got 3 or 4 ? admins who keep it running quite smoothly and they produce about 25 fixtures a week on average! There's nearer 35-40 fixtures on holiday weeks too.

One minor niggle for me is that sometimes fixtures can be posted only 24 hours before they're due to be played, but the admins are straight up about this in fairness (a 24-hour guarantee's written into the rules) and more often the fixtures are published weeks and weeks ahead of time.
Results can be a few days being updated, but I guess that's because there are often so many, they must need to 'chunk' their time wisely, so can't moan about that. Besides, don't think I recall admins taking more than 48 hours to update, except maybe in the winter freeze possibly?

I'm defo in for 2012-13 season and can hardly wait for the start!

Professional cretin.

derekn
First Team Star

May 29, 2012, 8:07 PM

Post #12 of 38 (74222 views)
Shortcut

As a newbie to this, do we get some notification that the season is about to start or do I just have to keep checking? I guess it can't start before August, but it would be nice to get a nudge of some kind.

burrow
Youth Team Sub

May 30, 2012, 4:28 PM

Post #13 of 38 (74191 views)
Shortcut

I'm afraid the link doesn't work for me. I've shortened it to www.nlpl co uk and I get a poorly designed website that hasn't been updated for two years. I've then clicked on a couple of links for Angus's game and the nlpl 2 and nothing ever happens. So I'll leave it until we get a bit nearer the time.

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

May 30, 2012, 4:44 PM

Post #14 of 38 (74189 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I'm afraid the link doesn't work for me. I've shortened it to www.nlpl co uk and I get a poorly designed website that hasn't been updated for two years. I've then clicked on a couple of links for Angus's game and the nlpl 2 and nothing ever happens. So I'll leave it until we get a bit nearer the time.

This link works fine for me:- http://www.nlpl.co.uk/.../index.php?cmd=table. I wonder if your browser doesn't like something on the page?

I use latest Firefox or Chrome browsers and have no trouble with either.

Professional cretin.

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

May 30, 2012, 5:00 PM

Post #15 of 38 (74187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] The 2012-13 NLM Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As a newbie to this, do we get some notification that the season is about to start or do I just have to keep checking? I guess it can't start before August, but it would be nice to get a nudge of some kind.

I was a newbie last season and can tell you from my experience that as the new season approaches you'll likely be spending hours on the game site and wont miss a thing.

afaik the admins reset the game on or just after June 1st. and fixtures start appearing pretty much as and when the various leagues release them. I think the spread of games can slightly vary season-by-season. I know the game has one fixture compiler for steps 1 to 4 and another compiler for steps 5 and 6 and another game player told me that each of them was trying to give every team under their wing as equal number of appearances as was possible. I'd guess to say that was correct. Apparently in the previous season there were more appearances for step 1 teams than step 2 teams, more step 2 tan step 3 appearances and so on. I was also told that in some previous seasons there have even been Welsh & Scottish non league matches in it.

Every season they cover four to eight Cup/Trophy/Vase games from every round too. It really is comprehensive. I was impressed anyway.

Professional cretin.

derekn
First Team Star

May 30, 2012, 5:19 PM

Post #16 of 38 (74185 views)
Shortcut

If I go to www.nlpl.co.uk, about halfway down the page there's a link 'HERE' that if I click on it sends me to the prediction league site.

Hope this helps

burrow
Youth Team Sub

May 30, 2012, 6:31 PM

Post #17 of 38 (74182 views)
Shortcut

It will only work for me if I use Internet Explorer. If I use Google Chrome the screen remains blank. Which is roughly the same problem I have with this Non-League Matters site, it will only work on IE.

derekn
First Team Star

May 30, 2012, 10:10 PM

Post #18 of 38 (74169 views)
Shortcut

Have you tried uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling it? I use it and have no problems.

burrow
Youth Team Sub

May 31, 2012, 9:17 AM

Post #19 of 38 (74149 views)
Shortcut

I've done everything possible to get it going properly.
I've had a lot of trouble with Chrome lately and one of the problems was with my security software Panda. Once that was uninstalled and replaced with Norton it ran okay. It's only this site "non league matters" that I'm having any bother with. I have to click on update 3 or 4 times before the page opens completely so I find it easier to open it with IE which is my home page on there.

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 4, 2012, 3:39 PM

Post #20 of 38 (73987 views)
Shortcut

Have you managed to get into the PL site yet burrow?

I'm at quite a loss in what else to suggest if you are still experiencing problems... although perhaps, maybe checking-out your internet security 'allowance settings' might be fruitful.

Inherited by AngusGF

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 4, 2012, 4:05 PM

Post #21 of 38 (73983 views)
Shortcut

Good to see lots of new faces signing up for the 2012-13 PL Game.

Please DO feel free to enthuse anyone in family, pub, place of work, website pals - or indeed anyone else you can think of... the game's not limited to TK Forum site users.

Meanwhile, NEWS

I'm going to be running a new parallel prediction competition that will be open to anyone registered to & actively playing in the 2012-13 PL Game (i.e. completes a minimum of 58% of ALL available predictions) and I'll offer prizes to the top 3 competitors too!

The winner can choose any item(s) to the value of 25 available from Soccer Books Ltd.
Second place can choose any item(s) to the value of 15 available from Soccer Books Ltd.
Third place can choose any item(s) to the value of 10 available from Soccer Books Ltd.

(www.soccer-books.co.uk)

This compy. will be rather similar to the one the NLP operates each season, but with differences.

I'm going to begin building its rules etc. - detailed under 'New 2012-13 PL Game' thread. Watch-out for it!

Inherited by AngusGF

burrow
Youth Team Sub

Jun 4, 2012, 8:04 PM

Post #22 of 38 (73971 views)
Shortcut

Thanks kernovian but I got in later. I have my grandchildren on my laptop and they had done something with it which an oldie like me couldn't fathom out.
Anyway, I fiddled about with the settings and it all came right in the end.

I'm 72 years old and I had a bad few days last week which put me out of action, that's more than likely why I didn't get to you sooner.

(This post was edited by burrow on Jun 4, 2012, 8:09 PM)

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 5, 2012, 2:53 PM

Post #23 of 38 (73950 views)
Shortcut

Having 'glitches' in setting up the new season's game atm.

I've requested SteveWalker's assistance and I'll let you know as and when things untangle.

Inherited by AngusGF

RRYFS
First Team Sub

Jun 5, 2012, 8:02 PM

Team(s): Leicester City, AFC Bournemouth, Hamworthy United

Post #24 of 38 (73934 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chris

Sorry to do this on here, but I see you can't receive PMs, and believe it or not, I don't have contact details for Angus. I have an e-mail saying I have a message on Angus' site, but I can no longer log in, either as RRYFS or my alter ego! All I get is "Username or password invalid" and it isn't! Can you assist, please. I can receive PMs!

regards

Richard

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 6, 2012, 9:55 AM

Post #25 of 38 (73912 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RRYFS] The 2012-13 NLM Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

All part of the 'glitches' unfortunately.

ALL access is presently denied, me and Angus included, so hopefully Steve might get back to us soon.

Message to everybody trying to register/log-in... "Please be patient - normal service will be resumed as soon as possible".

Inherited by AngusGF

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3