First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Trevor P
First Team Star

Oct 27, 2012, 7:14 AM

Team(s): Torquay United/Dawlish United

Post #1 of 29 (2161 views)
Shortcut
Things Celebrities Have Said to You Can't Post or Reply Privately

Here are a few of my own selections. I've left out the contexts deliberately!

Little Richard : "That will cost you 20.00!"
Margaret Thatcher : "This must be a good place to meet people!"
Johnny Rotten : "We can but try!"
Jerry Lee Lewis : "I was real pretty back then!"
Gary Glitter : "What are the audiences like in Torquay?"
Enoch Powell : "That's a very bad combination!"
John Lennon : "Ned Bailey!"
Jimmy Savile : "Do you have a much younger sister?"

All right, the last one's not true. He never actually SAID that!

Over to you ...

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 27, 2012, 9:00 AM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #2 of 29 (2150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trevor P] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not exactly an A-list celebrity, but Denise Dufort (the drummer in Girlschool) once said to me "If it ain't stiff it ain't worth a f*ck". As above, I'll leave out the context Wink

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Oct 27, 2012, 3:44 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #3 of 29 (2124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not exactly an A-list celebrity, but Denise Dufort (the drummer in Girlschool) once said to me "If it ain't stiff it ain't worth a f*ck". As above, I'll leave out the context Wink

Wasn't that the advertising slogan for Stiff Records? Or maybe it was her who coined the phrase!

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Oct 27, 2012, 3:47 PM

Post #4 of 29 (2123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trevor P] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Waybne Dobson...

"Do you know where I can get some blow?"

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 27, 2012, 6:27 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #5 of 29 (2109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My god,yes exactly the same question from alex higgins in 96.
Id been to rc warwick and was having a beer in the wellington in leicester.the hurrican was at the nearby grand hotel(where they didn't sell draught Guinness)hed been doin one of those after dinner speeches.
I told him i cudnt help him with what he wanted but he did comment in a positive way on me watching beazer midland football.!!

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 27, 2012, 9:06 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #6 of 29 (2092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fred Dinenage said "How!" to me outside Oxford United's old Manor Ground in 1999, but as we'd just seen Pompey thoroughly stuffed neither of us were really in the chatty mood.

From my time as an off-licence manager:

"20 Marlboro please mate", Liam Gallagher
"Just dump it there [in a huff]", Steve Redgrave
"What's your cheapest wine?", Alvin Stardust
"Have you got a toilet I could use?", Scary Spice
"Ooh, hello!! [with lovely smile!]", Ulrica Johnson

and Michael Howard MP talked passionately about Swansea City's victory in the 1994 AutoWindscreen Shield final.

kirby knitters

Oct 27, 2012, 9:18 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #7 of 29 (2084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Excellent oxpete but wheres a London taxi man when you need one?
We would have more posts than 'the rangers fc'

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 27, 2012, 9:25 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #8 of 29 (2080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"Here is my phone number, ring me tomorrow"

Cheryl Baker, four years before morphing into said
name and having that skirt ripped off in Dublin....

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

stourboy
First Team Star

Oct 27, 2012, 10:33 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #9 of 29 (2064 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The only celebs I've spoken to are Adrian Chiles and Sheridan Smith; just had a photo with the latter Tongue Adrian Chiles said thanks for listening to his radio show (it was a number of years ago; think he did either 606 or Fighting Talk at the time).

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 28, 2012, 8:43 AM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #10 of 29 (2028 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Wasn't that the advertising slogan for Stiff Records? Or maybe it was her who coined the phrase!

Correct! She had it emblazoned on her t-shirt at a signing session, but I couldn't read it properly without appearing to stare at her chest. She helpfully explained what it said. Explaining the context kind of reduces the impact, doesn't it?

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 28, 2012, 10:34 AM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #11 of 29 (2013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"Well played!" - John Major after I'd beaten him at subbuteo.

coops
First Team Sub

Oct 29, 2012, 3:02 PM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #12 of 29 (1942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"What the f*ck are you doing in my garden?" - various over the years.

Roman
First Team Sub

Oct 31, 2012, 4:54 PM

Team(s): Arsenal, Rocester, Brentford

Post #13 of 29 (1868 views)
Shortcut

Paul Gascoigne - "Arsenal are alright, Tottenham are f#cking sh?t"

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Nov 1, 2012, 12:51 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #14 of 29 (1827 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Correct! She had it emblazoned on her t-shirt at a signing session, but I couldn't read it properly without appearing to stare at her chest. She helpfully explained what it said. Explaining the context kind of reduces the impact, doesn't it?

Somewhere I still have an "If it ain't stiff, etc" T Shirt. Dates from about 1977, and first Stiffs Live tour with Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Wreckless Eric, Nick Lowe & that bloke from Motorhead who wasn't Lemmy. My mum (ahhh... bless...) even washed and ironed it for me. More than once. I also managed to collect a full set of the "sex" "drugs" "rock" "roll" badges that Ian Dury used to throw out into the crowd.

Cut to the chase, the most famous person who ever said anything to me was David Bowie, Ziggy tour, Bracknell sports centre, circa 1973. Can't remember the exact words, but they were along the lines of "Get the f**k off that cable".

OK so not my proudest moment, but in that instant I felt we really connected, like totally maaaan...

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 1, 2012, 1:07 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #15 of 29 (1822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

that bloke from Motorhead who wasn't Lemmy

Larry Wallis: a rock god, in my opinion. Ex Pink Fairies, a punk band from the decade before punks were even thought of.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Nov 1, 2012, 1:33 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #16 of 29 (1816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's the chap. I saw the Stiffs tour in Leicester and there were only four out of five,because:
"Wreckless can't be here because.... he's too drunk". I did see Wreckless Eric a few months later and can't imagine what state he must have been in for the Stiffs tour since he was absolutely paralytic when he DID play.

Everyone was playing in each other's band. I think Ian Dury's girlfriend at the time was on the drums for Larry Wallis. She was definitely on the drums for the finale of Sex+Drugs+Rock+Roll. I think he only played about 4 or 5 songs max, 15-20 minute set, including Police Car (which is the one on the live album). They were about halfway through a tour, and it really seemed like they were quite enjoying it.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 1, 2012, 1:51 PM

Post #17 of 29 (1810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Edward Tudor-Pole: "A pint of Hoskins, please" when working a real ale bar at Nottingham University in October 1980. That was a Stiff Tour gig.

A few minutes later: "Another pint of Hoskins, please."

sandhurstbee

Nov 2, 2012, 1:31 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #18 of 29 (1751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

`Do you want to be in my Gang?` - Gary Glitter Tongue

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

(This post was edited by sandhurstbee on Nov 2, 2012, 1:31 PM)

richiejenn
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2013, 6:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 29 (1348 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Paul Elliott in the Pub at Charing Cross today in reply to my "Hello Paul"

"Alright Mate!"
To be fair, he was on the phone most of the time on official PFA business.
HOTP: Robbie Fowler role at PFA???

Edge of the seat stuff I know. In his designer suit and LV man bag, I must have felt Well Jel!

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Jan 14, 2013, 8:55 PM

Post #20 of 29 (1331 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richiejenn] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Francis Rossi and/or Rick Parfitt...

"Can you mop the toilets out please mate?"

Actually, I think it was more of a command than a request.

buncranaboy

Jan 15, 2013, 1:50 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #21 of 29 (1278 views)
Shortcut

June 20th 2004..........very very hungover after a long long night with my bruv and his missus who live in Oliveira de Azemeis with a couple of forum members in attendance also, after seeing a wonderful Czech Republic v Holland Euro 2004 game in Aveiro. Following day, on train, groaning, en route to Lisbon to watch Spain v Portugal at the Alvalade. There's a spare seat across the aisle from me. I'm in my Ireland shirt and shorts really not wanting to talk to anyone. Ever again.....

Scruffy bloke in teeshirt and cut-off jeans gets on at Coimbra : " Is this seat taken, mate?" in a very Dublin accent.
Me : " Nah, you're alright"
Bloke : "Has the ticket collector passed yet only I haven't a reservation for this train?"
Me : "Think so; I was asleep. Long night y'see"
Bloke : " Heading for the match?"
Me (wishing he'd stop talking to/at me): "Yes"
Bloke : "Me too"
Me : "You here for the tournament, doing the grounds like us?"
Bloke : " No, I'm working tonight"
Me, perking up : "Hows that then, are you a journalist?"
Bloke : "No, I'm not"
Me : "Are you involved in the game then, in some way?"
Bloke : "You could say that, yeah"
Me : "Are you a manager then, or something?"
Bloke : "Yes, I am a manager"
Me, getting quite close face to face now in the hope of recognising something about him : "Of who?"
Bloke : "Ireland"

Cue howls of derision from my "mates" as I wished a hole would open up and swallow me. I had even met Brian Kerr some years before as he used to work with my sis, and he's a thoroughly decent down to earth bloke who just loves football. He just smiled benignly at me and told me to go back to sleep......
We actually spent the rest of the journey chatting football and he didn't mind giving the lowdown (to a degree) on players past and present and it ended up being a very memorable journey indeed. Some on here however won't let it lie Crazy

Mishi

Jan 15, 2013, 3:38 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #22 of 29 (1260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nothing as glamourous & funny as that, a cracking anecdote bunranaboy, but in the late eighties there was a two day football conference for coppers, academics, assorted freeloaders, called 'Football into the nineties', & it was at Leicester University. Very posh, by my standards, evening dinner, with Graham Taylor as guest of honour, anyway a number of ordinary supporters from fanzines were there, at a discounted rate. They called it a bursary. I was there, and queuing up to register on the first day, some bloke was talking to me in the queue, he asked about me, I mentioned Dulwich Hamlet, he steered the conversation onto t*****g, asked me about them, & what did I think of their manager, Barry Neville. I told him, in my own usual honest style...he then put him hand out, & said 'pleased to meet you, I'm Barry Neville'! He was on a junket, from his day job, in the leisure department of Havering Council!

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

dottirofhod

Jan 15, 2013, 4:02 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #23 of 29 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Linda Lovelace said 'Wow' to me once.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 120 / 101 / 19 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 02 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Jan 15, 2013, 9:56 PM

Post #24 of 29 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Things Celebrities Have Said to You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Linda Lovelace said 'Wow' to me once.

And then you woke up...

UKPunk

Jan 15, 2013, 10:26 PM

Post #25 of 29 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Nah, Hoddy was working in a record shop and Linda Lovelace walked in and asked, "Have you got the new Kate Bush single in yet?" Hoddy said, "What's it called?" and she replied, "Wow!" Tongue

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3