First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 15, 2013, 5:10 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #1 of 187 (34496 views)
Shortcut
Proper record shops Can't Post or Reply Privately

As someone who has totally missed the supposed 'music revolution' of the past ten years, and still buys their music in physical form from a shop, the end of HMV leaves me wondering how difficult its going to be to buy records in the future. I do buy as much of my music as I can from independent record shop, but I'm still going to miss HMV when they go.

In the light of the 'proper pubs' thread, I think it a good idea to start a thread dedicated to proper record and music shops, particularly any that are near to football grounds and can be reached easily while hopping.

I'll start off with:

Truck Store, 101 Cowley Road, Oxford
When I moved to Oxford in 2002, there were eight record shops in a city dedicated to student life. If HMV folds, this will be the last one left. Strong links with the Truck Music Festival in Steventon every July, and regularly has live acts performing in the shop.

Also...

Rapture Entertainment, Market Square, Witney

Rapture Entertainment, 24 Riverside Centre, Evesham

Collectors Record Centre, 54 Old London Road, Kingston-On-Thames
Lots of vinyl, and on the way from Kingston town centre to AFCWimbledon/KingstonianFC.

Rough Trade East, Dray Walk, just off Brick Lane, east London
Big old place,plenty of choice, and you might bump into Don Quixote in the 'Frank Sinatra' section!

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 15, 2013, 6:33 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #2 of 187 (34478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was a fantastic record shop in Croydon called Beanos but having had a few stays of execution it closed a few years back.

I don't know any others off hand.

HampshireLad2
Youth Team Star

Jan 15, 2013, 7:27 PM

Post #3 of 187 (34467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Alot of the better ones now are the Oxfam ones, the shop towards the south of the main drag in southampton is great

www.threetimesover.co.uk

eesti7
First Team Sub

Jan 15, 2013, 8:43 PM

Team(s): Gillingham, Tonbridge

Post #4 of 187 (34454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HampshireLad2] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There's a shop called Sound It Out in Stockton that featured in a documentary on the BBC a couple of months ago... http://www.sounditoutrecords.co.uk/ .

The shop also hosts gigs despite its modest size... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYP-hn7Ut9g

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 15, 2013, 9:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 187 (34440 views)
Shortcut

Another here who needs 'tangible' product. No interest in downloading, I'm not a luddite but do find technology daunting and a little soulless.

Swordfish Records, Birmingham A couple of minutes from New Street station. I don't frequent the second city anymore, but I believe this is the only record shop remaining.

Sister Ray, Soho, London A marmite/beetroot of a record shop, I do't no many who like but I loved the old shop before they merged with / took over Selectadisc. Still bought no end of obscurities from both.

I found an excellent second hand record shop in Haverhill , the day of Rovers last ever game at Hamlet Croft. A quick search on google suggest the owner (if the same store) won the Euromillions jackpot!!!!

A brief mention of some great shops lost forever

Kriminal Records - Bletchley
Oven Ready - Aylesbury
Selectadisc - Soho
Spinadisc - Northampton

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 15, 2013, 9:39 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #6 of 187 (34435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyjazz] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Probe Records in the city centre at Unit 1, The Bluecoat, School Lane, Liverpool L1 3BX is a long-standing institution. Even has it's own wiki page! http://en.wikipedia.org/.../Probe_Records_(shop)

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jan 15, 2013, 9:41 PM)

VP

Jan 15, 2013, 11:21 PM

Post #7 of 187 (34415 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Rock Box , 151 London Road, Camberley. It's been there since 1987 and has constantly evolved to keep up with the times.

http://www.rockbox.co.uk/

There's also 101 Collector's Records, 101 West Street, Farnham. http://www.djforcex.co.uk/101/

I'm not sure if SpinnaDisc in Aldershot is still open. I heard it had to shut due to a flood from the flat upstairs ruining all the stock.

Regarding HMV, the latest announcement came the same day as Rough Trade released their last quarter's figures. Their sales were up 8% on the same period last year and they say they're busier than they've ever been. Vinyl sales in the UK are up again for the fifth year running and the majority of music is still bought in physical formats so they don't have much sympathy with HMV, blaming their demise on a poor retail experience and the company not knowing what to sell. What's worse is that HMV can get their stock in cheaper than the independents but still manage to get it wrong.

A blog from a couple of weeks ago - http://www.danlesac.co.uk/...maybe-hmv-goes-boom/

(This post was edited by VP on Jan 15, 2013, 11:27 PM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 16, 2013, 12:03 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #8 of 187 (34400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cob Records in Porthmadog

robgrillo
First Team Star

Jan 16, 2013, 6:58 AM

Post #9 of 187 (34385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Jumbo Records in Leeds
Discovery in Bradford is a second hand store that sells lots of VINYL :)

LATE TO THE GAME - The origins of soccer in Bradford. Available from www.bantamspast.net

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Jan 16, 2013, 1:49 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #10 of 187 (34355 views)
Shortcut

HMV didn't seem to want to sell music for the past two years anyway. At least not to anyone who would go to a music shop for it. Several hid anything beyond the mainstream away upstairs or at the back and kept most bizarre back catalogues. The comments on VP's post above ring true with me. Trying to compete with the supermakets for the latest X factor releases whilst marginalising real Music fans and collectors was never going to be a winning business case. Still sad though, I think we had a thread a few months ago with people reminiscing about their HMV moments...

I have already mentioned on here before:

Raves From the Grave - Warminster and Frome. Real proper record shops. great back catalogue and selection, also collectors vinyl etc. They also stock a lot of DVDs and I have found DVDs in there that HMV didn't have, hence why I gave up on HMV.

Theres also Sound Knowledge in Marlborough, although a bit more mainstream and without the collectables.

TBH the demise of HMV will only help these kind of stores.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

(This post was edited by wishmaster3211 on Jan 16, 2013, 1:54 PM)

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Jan 16, 2013, 3:47 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #11 of 187 (34336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've a load of old vinyl in my shed, getting more and more damp and warped each day. I sold what I thought was the rarer/more valuable stuff on eBay a few years ago, but couldn't be bothered with the rest as it was becoming such a pain in the arse putting it on there and packaging it all up for the sake of making 20p, or lugging it all to the car-boot sale and lugging it all back again. If anyone wants it, or wants more info, then feel free to pm me and if you can come and collect it then it's yours for free (it's all or nothing mind)! There's probably at least a couple of hundred each of 7" and 12" singles, and the odd album, mainly 80s/early 90s chart pop stuff and a bit of indie.

First come, first served.

*Sits back and waits for nothing to happen.*

(This post was edited by Whiskey Coates on Jan 16, 2013, 3:48 PM)

gcnc

Jan 16, 2013, 4:05 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #12 of 187 (34331 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spillers in Cardiff claims to be the oldest record shop in the world;

http://www.spillersrecords.co.uk/

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 16, 2013, 4:52 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #13 of 187 (34321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Spillers in Cardiff claims to be the oldest record shop in the world;

I used to frequent Spillers as a student. There also used to be several good record shops in Swansea (spent much of my grant in Musicquarium and More Music), but I think the only one still going is:

Derrick's Records, 221 Oxford Street, Swansea city centre

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 16, 2013, 8:08 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #14 of 187 (34297 views)
Shortcut

Quite a few in Manchester, my regular being Piccadilly Records in Oldham Street (http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/shop/index.php), which handily is just across the road from a great second-hand shop Vinyl Exchange (http://www.vinylexchange.co.uk/)

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

VP

Jan 16, 2013, 8:14 PM

Post #15 of 187 (34295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I've a load of old vinyl in my shed, getting more and more damp and warped each day. I sold what I thought was the rarer/more valuable stuff on eBay a few years ago, but couldn't be bothered with the rest as it was becoming such a pain in the arse putting it on there and packaging it all up for the sake of making 20p, or lugging it all to the car-boot sale and lugging it all back again. If anyone wants it, or wants more info, then feel free to pm me and if you can come and collect it then it's yours for free (it's all or nothing mind)! There's probably at least a couple of hundred each of 7" and 12" singles, and the odd album, mainly 80s/early 90s chart pop stuff and a bit of indie.

First come, first served.

*Sits back and waits for nothing to happen.*

Why don't you put them on eBay as a job lot? I used to have 6-7000 records which I've been selling on eBay after digitising them. It's taken nearly eight years so far but I'm getting there. I sell most records individually but anything that doesn't sell or I don't think will sell I put in a job lot. When I get to about 300 records I list them in one lot as pick up only. Job done.

(This post was edited by VP on Jan 16, 2013, 8:16 PM)

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 16, 2013, 9:46 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #16 of 187 (34274 views)
Shortcut

There's one in Waltham Cross but I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head.

Regarding HMV, like all companies they got too big for their boots, lets go back to how it was, one big store in Oxford Street that stocked everything. If you wanted something in particular you went there.

634 GROUNDS - Punjab United (61/92)
580 WETHERSPOONS - Wallasey
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

UKPunk

Jan 16, 2013, 10:33 PM

Post #17 of 187 (34265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've never been to any record shop that has stocked all that I want. Unlike most music buyers I don't do all that x factor shite so it's always a struggle to find outlets that stock the kind of stuff I like, particularly since John Peel died and I, like so many others, lost a vital barometer as to the decent new stuff available.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 16, 2013, 11:26 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #18 of 187 (34258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I've never been to any record shop that has stocked all that I want. Unlike most music buyers I don't do all that x factor shite so it's always a struggle to find outlets that stock the kind of stuff I like, particularly since John Peel died and I, like so many others, lost a vital barometer as to the decent new stuff available.

Try this ... http://www.dandelionradio.com/

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

UKPunk

Jan 16, 2013, 11:50 PM

Post #19 of 187 (34254 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Try this ... http://www.dandelionradio.com/

Top stuff Steve, thanks for that.

Currently playing The Goat/What A Life

davy c
First Team Star

Jan 17, 2013, 12:25 PM

Post #20 of 187 (34218 views)
Shortcut

As Steve B correctly mentions Piccadilly Records is a sure fire winner and I spend way too much money with them, but you will get laughed out of the shop if you want crap like Muse, Kings of leon etc. Vinyl Exchange is across the road and purely for the second hand market, I also incidentally spend far too much money in there as well.
Action Records in Preston is fantastic, Grey n pink Records in Chester is top draw, head down to london and Rough Trade (East) plus 2 or 3 decent ones on berwick st is Soho (Sister Ray is one). Also shout outs for Probe in Liverpool, small but thorughly enjoybale experience in that shop.

HMV have done little or nothing for the independents so good riddance, although I do feel sympathay for distributors and the affected workforce in the actual shops, as this will clearly be a body blow for them.

Fopp (who HMV bought out I believe) are decent for a chain in fairness, good one in Manchester and Glasgow, not sure what if anything the HMV issue impacts on Fopp

Oh and nearly forgot, Spillers in Cardiff, awesome

The physical format will continue to grow as a niche market now and ask anyone working at piccadilly records about their business in the last few years and its clearly been on an upward curve.

twitter @davyc1976

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Jan 17, 2013, 1:18 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #21 of 187 (34208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the advice VP, I might do it that way then.

Runwell
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 17, 2013, 5:15 PM

Team(s): Team 'Impersonating other Twitter Users' - est. 2011

Post #22 of 187 (34189 views)
Shortcut

Adrians in Wickford.

Used to have an extremely diverse range of media in Wickford High Street. It's now solely located in a side alley but is still a well known outlet regionally as well as locally for rare vinyl etc.

Last match:
Monday 17th October 2016
Aveley 1-1 Phoenix Sports (Isthmian League Division 1 North)

Next scheduled match:
Tuesday 18th October 2016
Burnham Ramblers v Haringey & Waltham (Essex Senior League)

davy c
First Team Star

Jan 17, 2013, 7:24 PM

Post #23 of 187 (34174 views)
Shortcut

Punky with all soundclouds, youtubes and soundbites available there is no excuse not too find out new or previously unheard acts. You dont appear to be very far fom a keyboard so whats stopping you. X factor and mainstream shite has nowt to do with it as any good independent shop or mail order would not contemplate selling that crap which is a) why popular music fans download and b) why hmv have gone tits up

twitter @davyc1976

UKPunk

Jan 18, 2013, 12:24 AM

Post #24 of 187 (34156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davy c] Proper record shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
You dont appear to be very far fom a keyboard so whats stopping you.

My time online is somewhat misleading as although I'm often logged in I just snatch what time I can at the keyboard between work and other stuff.

You're right about the amount of good music that's out there but whereas you knew when JP was going to be on and you could listen in these days it's a case of searching for good new music and I don't often have the time.

Nevertheless, I've been pointed in the right direction and I'm grateful for that.

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 18, 2013, 6:22 AM

Team(s):

Post #25 of 187 (34145 views)
Shortcut

Radio 6 as my online listening. If you took in Marc Riley last night you'd have heard blasts from the past from Killing Joke & Jonathan Richman, plus a whole load of new stuff not aired on other stations. I like Riley as he doesn't really go down the obvious Muse, Kings of Leon route that other presenters are keen on.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3