Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Jan 12, 2013, 5:29 PM

Post #201 of 1758 (72232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 12/01/13 – Midlands 2 West (North)
Tamworth RUFC 10 Wolverhampton RUFC 7
Admission: free, no programmes
Refreshments: £1.20 mug of coffee and Mars bar in the clubhouse
Attendance: 63 (h/c)

Plan A today was Redditch United v Bedford but I didn’t fancy a rail replacement coach south of Birmingham, so scoured the fixture lists and came up with this gem – a bottom-of-the-table v top-of the table clash that didn’t exactly go by the form book.

Tamworth’s clubhouse is at the end of Solway Close, through a housing estate off the Burton on Trent road north of the town centre. There’s an old, converted two storey house which serves as the clubhouse, to which a changing room and function room block have been added, adjacent to parking for around 50 cars. The clubhouse is a bit faded in appearance, although enhanced by two wide-screens showing QPR v Spurs, and the bar is small, but the folk were friendly and a hot coffee was soon rustled up.

The whereabouts of the pitch, however, is not immediately apparent from the clubhouse and turned out to be over a hill and down a slope about ¼ away, at the bottom end of Wiggington Park (a public park), adjacent to the West Coast main line, and therefore quite a haven for railway buffs into Pendolinos, mind you only one freight was sighted all afternoon. Freightliner 90043, if you’re interested. There are three pitches in a line, the main pitch being the central one, which is railed (mostly!) on the two sides, and there is also a small floodlit training area.

As for the match, it was quite an epic. I suppose you could say mud is a great leveller, but let’s take nothing away from lowly Tamworth here, they deserved this! They spent the first half hanging on to their composure and their sanity in the face of relentless Wolverhampton pressure and a series of strange refereeing decisions. The league leaders could have taken the lead after 2m with a penalty dead in front of the posts for offside, but W.13 inexplicably put it wide. It took Tamworth 17 minutes to get out of their half, but then they did have a long period of possession but couldn’t crack the away defence. Wolverhampton were reduced to attempting a penalty from the half way line that fell well short, but just when it looked like Tamworth had successfully navigated a scoreless first half, right on the interval, Wolverhampton broke through on the right and W.7 took the ball over, the try being well converted from wide by W.10.

Into the second half, it was Tamworth’s turn to pressurise, and on 47m, they missed a golden opportunity to score when T.11, on the end of a long cross-field movement, failed to hold the final pass and dropped the ball about 5 yards out with an empty try line beckoning him. Much clutching of heads in the vociferous crowd!

But Tamworth continued taking the game to Wolverhampton and were eventually rewarded on 67m when T.12 went over after the ball had been worked out to the right hand corner, with T.15 notching the equalising conversion. Could this be Tamworth’s day? One final effort, and after 81m, T.15 held his nerve to put over a fine penalty, wide from the left – 10-7 and Tamworth duly survived the remainder of play.

The Tamworth coach was so delighted at the end, he shook everyone’s hand, including the Ostrich Sly. A well-deserved victory indeed!

(This post was edited by Ostrich on Jan 12, 2013, 5:31 PM)

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Jan 12, 2013, 10:26 PM

Post #202 of 1758 (72196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Some pictures here of Saracen's refresh of Barnet Copthall stadium, to be known as Allianz Park:
http://www.saracens.com/news/view.php?Id=7338

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 13, 2013, 11:57 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #203 of 1758 (72127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

RARE MIDWEEK FIXTURE ALERT!
Needing all the back-ups I can get this Tuesday 15 January WINCHESTER v PORTSMOUTH Hampshire Cup Quarter Final. Not sure correct KO time, Portsmouth website says 7pm, Winchester site says 7:30. Ground just behind Winchester City FC.

Seagull
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2013, 11:09 AM

Post #204 of 1758 (72083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rochdale 23 Vale of Lune 11
North One West (level 6)
Att: 125 (h/c - about half with the visitors)
Admission by programme: £5 (44 pages, all very swish but only 4 pages game relevent, although this was the outside 4 with game details on the front and teams on the back)
Ham & Mustard Muffin £1 (it's a muffin in these parts!)

Something of a surprise this as Rochdale's lumbering and aggressive pack got the better of VoL's speedy backs. Two visiting sinbinnings cost them dear with all 3 of the home sides tries coming when the visitors were short handed. There was only one side with any skill and speed, but equally only one side with real aggression and mastery of the dark arts of close contact RU and sadly the latter won.

The ground is very basic, just railed off and floodlit with no spectator facilities other than a small first floor balcony at one end on the clubhouse. Apparantly there used to be a stand but this is long gone. Nice views of the Pennines from one side of the pitch and the area it's in (Bamford) is rather upmarket.

Finally a note to the ref: Maroon and white hoops v red and white hoops (of equal width) is a colour clash in anyone's eyes, especially on a damp and muddy pitch. No wonder he got so many calls wrong!

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 14, 2013, 1:37 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #205 of 1758 (72062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Rochdale 23 Vale of Lune 11
North One West (level 6)

The ground is very basic, just railed off and floodlit with no spectator facilities other than a small first floor balcony at one end on the clubhouse. Apparantly there used to be a stand but this is long gone. Nice views of the Pennines from one side of the pitch and the area it's in (Bamford) is rather upmarket.

Here you go!

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Attachments: Rochdale RUFC.JPG (74.0 KB)

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Jan 15, 2013, 12:41 AM

Post #206 of 1758 (72018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Heineken Cup

Sale Sharks 6 Montpellier 27
Att: 6,088

Entry: £15 Standing (£25 - 45 Seating)
Car Parking £5
Coffee £2
Pie/Hot drink £4.50

Visitors always in control, Sale huffed and puffed whilst Montpellier always seemed to have plenty in reserve, and were far more incisive when attacking. HT 6 - 12

Total domination by the visitors in the 2nd half, the final score being a penalty try after the hosts had held the visitors at bay on their own line for several minutes. FT 6 - 27 (Sale: 2 penalties, Montpellier: 4 Tries (one a penalty), 2 Conversions, 1 Penalty).

With only one way in/out of the stadium I was warned that it could take up to an hour and a half to get off the car park. Was able to while away the time as the outside catering and the bar stayed open well after the final whistle. In the event we managed to drive traffic free off the car park 45 minutes after the game ended.

Seagull
First Team Star

Jan 18, 2013, 12:51 PM

Post #207 of 1758 (71882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

One possibility for tomorrow, Burnage's artificial pitch:

"If all goes to plan then there WILL be rugby played at Varley Park this weekend!!!!!! We have made fairly extensive plans in an effort to beat the predicted snowfall over the next 24-36 hours.

Our Grounds Staff & Volunteers will be keeping an eye on things & will attempt to deal with every contingency if the severe weather conditions should hit us.

Provided we don't get a huge dump of snow we should be in a position to plough, brush and even melt the snow which may fall on the 3G pitch prior to the National League Three North fixture against Rossendale RUFC on Saturday afternoon (2:15pm kick-off).

There is a full weekend of activity & fixtures at stake so you may rest assured that every effort will be made to render the surface playable." Taken from their website: http://www.pitchero.com/...-weather-835099.html

Seagull
First Team Star

Jan 18, 2013, 2:09 PM

Post #208 of 1758 (71869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kendal also optimistic:

http://www.kendal-rugby.com/...4:news&Itemid=71

cl
Youth Team Regular

Jan 18, 2013, 2:28 PM

Post #209 of 1758 (71868 views)
Shortcut

Kendal is well worth doing as this has a decent stand and the ground could be lost due to possible relocation

Other Union possible tomorrow for those in London is at London Scottish ( Richmond Athletic Ground 5 mins from station which passed an inspection today and with Scottish opposition shouldn't be a late call off

Brixham and Exmouth also confident but if you can get this far west there should also be some football

Doncaster have travelled to Melrose and of off will be switched to Galashiels and this has underground heating

Carmarten are also confident

All the above should obvoiuly be checked further

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Jan 18, 2013, 2:44 PM

Post #210 of 1758 (71860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cl] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or

Maidenhead are another 3/4G at level 5. They are due to be at home tomorrow, so might be an option.

cl
Youth Team Regular

Jan 18, 2013, 2:55 PM

Post #211 of 1758 (71853 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And Gloucester are very confident

A 'balloon' kept frost out of the pitch until it snowed which could damage it but they have now covered the pitch

Not cheap mind for what is likely to be a weakened team and a one sided game

Seagull
First Team Star

Jan 18, 2013, 4:13 PM

Post #212 of 1758 (71840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cl] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks cl, Kendal is first choice for me now - it's passed a second inspection this afternoon and I suspect provided it stays frost free overnight (which looks likely, too much cloud cover) it'll go ahead.

cl
Youth Team Regular

Jan 18, 2013, 7:13 PM

Post #213 of 1758 (71788 views)
Shortcut

Exmouth now gone despite being on the sea/ estuary which shows how far west one would need to go tomorrow

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 19, 2013, 1:57 PM

Post #214 of 1758 (71729 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Maidenhead are another 3/4G at level 5. They are due to be at home tomorrow, so might be an option.

Maidenhead OFF, Old Patesians unable to travel from Cheltenham. However an Under 18's Academy fixture Wasps v Saracens is being played there later today, 5:30pm KO.

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Jan 19, 2013, 6:11 PM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #215 of 1758 (71710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

STOURBRIDGE RUFC 12 BROMSGROVE RUFC 21 National League 2 North

Admission £8 for me and the lad and a programme Attendance-well in excess of 300

A revisit to Bridgnorth Rad Stourton to watch top of the table Stourbridge (played 18 won 18) take on eleventh placed Bromsgrove. SHOCK HORROR..the visitors ran out deserved winners.They scored a converted try early on and were never behind. It seemed that the homesters were always taking the ball standing still and created very little. The ground consists of a main stand on the far side, an area of terracing on the clubhouse side and a raised outside balcony from where I watched proceedings. Many less hardy souls watched from inside the clubhouse. The pitch was almost perfect, if a little sticky down the middle. Good to get some sport in on a day like this.

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 20, 2013, 10:03 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #216 of 1758 (71669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Stourbridge 12 Bromsgrove 21. My first ever rugby union game - better than it is on telly, but still not quite convinced its any good. I was rather glad Bromsgrove won as Stour's fans seemed mainly rather arrogant. I've no idea whether it was a good game or not, but as it turned out, better than driving to Telford for a 0-0.

Grumpydwarf and Grumpyjunior must have been in disguise as snowmen because I was unable to spot them. Admission £10, prog £2.

The Moose
First Team Star

Jan 20, 2013, 4:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #217 of 1758 (71624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welcome to the brave new world of eggchasing TIM Wink

Anyhoo as the snow came down on Friday I expected to be going nowhere however I was rescued by;

EURO LOSERS CUP: BATH RUGBY 53 BUCHAREST WOLVES 8

TKTS: £15 (BOGOF) PROG: £3 ATT: 9,873

Convinced madam to sludge through several inches of white stuff so we could join the masses going to Bath on Thomas. Normally tiz nigh on £30 to be seen at the Rec but yes'day they did a two for one offer at a bargain half price deal. Whilst the game was as expected somewhat one sided I was still grateful to get my sporting fix.

Due to it's temporary stands on two sides this'll never be my favourite ground but at least it's handy for the train station. Highlight of the afternoon was to watch many of the crowd 'enjoy' a free for all snowball fight that kicked off big time. Not a day to be a steward as they got splatted several times!

KRTM Cool

Seagull
First Team Star

Jan 21, 2013, 12:34 PM

Post #218 of 1758 (71563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kendal v Penrith (National League 3 North) - p-p

Penrith seemingly took one look at the pitch and refused to play, hopped back on their bus and buggered off. Thanks chaps. My petrol expenses are on the way to you. Call yourselves Northerners? Pah.

martin55
First Team Sub

Jan 21, 2013, 2:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #219 of 1758 (71546 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Penrith seemingly took one look at the pitch and refused to play, hopped back on their bus and buggered off. Thanks chaps. My petrol expenses are on the way to you. Call yourselves Northerners? Pah.

As did their 2nd XV at Hawcoat Park

Can you remember who you were, before they told you who you should be?

Seagull
First Team Star

Jan 22, 2013, 10:47 AM

Post #220 of 1758 (71493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [martin55] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

As did their 2nd XV at Hawcoat Park

Tish, bunch of Southern Pansie Interlopers.

Thankfully I've already done their ground as I think I'll be boycotting them from now on Wink

IAN S
First Team Star

Jan 22, 2013, 3:06 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #221 of 1758 (71473 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 26 th January

With most football at places I need likely to be off a choice of six RU games is on:

Macclesfield v Coventry
Manchester v Altrincham Kersal
Heath v Old Brodlians
Stockport v DMP
Beverley v Morley
Driffield v Pontefract

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

(This post was edited by IAN S on Jan 22, 2013, 3:13 PM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 22, 2013, 6:36 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #222 of 1758 (71445 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've been to all those, Ian. I'd pick Heath out of this little lot. Nice setting, cover and a decent Halifax derby, too.

IAN S
First Team Star

Jan 23, 2013, 10:19 AM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #223 of 1758 (71416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It would depend on the state of Scapegoat Hill, not driving through Huddersfield with its wall-to-wall roadworks.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

Seagull
First Team Star

Jan 23, 2013, 12:22 PM

Post #224 of 1758 (71405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If it manages to beat the freeze I may try Heath too, although I think further West will provide better options for beating the weather if the forecast is correct.

I'm looking at:

Chester v Percy Park
Lymm v Billingham
Wirral v Anselmians
Caldy v Otley
New Brighton v Orrell
West Park (St Helens) v Warrington

followed by ice hockey at Cleveleys, Fylde v Deeside.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 24, 2013, 11:16 PM

Post #225 of 1758 (71335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Some pictures here of Saracen's refresh of Barnet Copthall stadium, to be known as Allianz Park:
http://www.saracens.com/news/view.php?Id=7338

Bad news for anybody who, like myself, was hoping to attend the first match here on Sunday v Cardiff Blues in LV cup. This match is being used as a test event and capacity is restricted to just their 3,500 season ticket holders. Dissappointed but feel more sorry for Blues fans or any Welsh rugby fans exiled in London who can't go and support their team than us groundhoppers who can pick out any game to attend there.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Jan 24, 2013, 11:17 PM)

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3