Acceptable swear words.....

TempWorksCo
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 4, 2013, 10:02 AM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 20 (2507 views)
Shortcut
Acceptable swear words..... Can't Post or Reply Privately

Seeing as Richard Rundle got his knickers (or should that be underpants?) in a twist over the use of 'sod off' where can we draw the line on what/cannot be used on the forum?

Grounds visited - A few
Wetherspoons visited - Not many
Ales tasted - Loads

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 4, 2013, 10:06 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #2 of 20 (2503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TempWorksCo] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Entrapment?

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 4, 2013, 10:08 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #3 of 20 (2502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TempWorksCo] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Seeing as Richard Rundle got his knickers (or should that be underpants?) in a twist over the use of 'sod off' where can we draw the line on what/cannot be used on the forum?

I would have thought only the 'f' and the 'c' word were strictly off limits, other than that I guess it depends upon the context in which any word is used and whether it is accompanied by a smileyWink

TempWorksCo
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 4, 2013, 10:14 AM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 20 (2497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I would have thought only the 'f' and the 'c' word were strictly off limits, other than that I guess it depends upon the context in which any word is used and whether it is accompanied by a smileyWink

Some people frown on a smiley as much as a swear word
Sly

Grounds visited - A few
Wetherspoons visited - Not many
Ales tasted - Loads

dottirofhod

Feb 4, 2013, 10:16 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #5 of 20 (2493 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

So obvious Baris.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 69 / 59 / 10 / inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 19 / 09 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3(Act 4- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

UKPunk

Feb 4, 2013, 11:31 AM

Post #6 of 20 (2474 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Sly

And as I posted on another thread, some people take this messageboard stuff far too seriously. Not that I'm advocating a complete free for all you understand. I just think so much of what is posted is blown up out of all proportion. For example if we ban the phrase 'sod off' do we also ban 'bloody hell'? I personally didn't take offence at Gareth using the phrase and I think it's preferable to him sending abusive PM's using the 'f' and 'c' words.

In my view each post has to be judged on its merits based on content, context and the relationship between the posters concerned. Having met people like Mishi, Runwell, Richiejenn, Hoddy, Youngster and Fleetfan if I'm having a pop at them they know it's in jest. But you'll almost always get someone not involved with the dialogue between said posters who takes it upon themselves to complain to the mods when I think they should leave it to the posters concerned. After all, if one poster has a problem with another it should be up to them to complain to the mods shouldn't it?

Also, I realise we could use the PM facility for contentious posts but what's contentious to one poster wouldn't be to another so again it's all down to interpretation. Besides, if it's a third party taking offence then the problem is surely with them.

None of us want to go down the route most other forums have trodden with their sometimes unrestrained abuse, but to go to the other extreme and over sanitise contributions would in my opinion make the forum as boring as the alternative is unsavoury.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 4, 2013, 11:36 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #7 of 20 (2470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

satis dictum...

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Isaac

Feb 4, 2013, 11:43 AM

Post #8 of 20 (2467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Sly

And as I posted on another thread, some people take this messageboard stuff far too seriously. Not that I'm advocating a complete free for all you understand. I just think so much of what is posted is blown up out of all proportion. For example if we ban the phrase 'sod off' do we also ban 'bloody hell'? I personally didn't take offence at Gareth using the phrase and I think it's preferable to him sending abusive PM's using the 'f' and 'c' words.

In my view each post has to be judged on its merits based on content, context and the relationship between the posters concerned. Having met people like Mishi, Runwell, Richiejenn, Hoddy, Youngster and Fleetfan if I'm having a pop at them they know it's in jest. But you'll almost always get someone not involved with the dialogue between said posters who takes it upon themselves to complain to the mods when I think they should leave it to the posters concerned. After all, if one poster has a problem with another it should be up to them to complain to the mods shouldn't it?

Also, I realise we could use the PM facility for contentious posts but what's contentious to one poster wouldn't be to another so again it's all down to interpretation. Besides, if it's a third party taking offence then the problem is surely with them.

None of us want to go down the route most other forums have trodden with their sometimes unrestrained abuse, but to go to the other extreme and over sanitise contributions would in my opinion make the forum as boring as the alternative is unsavoury.

There is always a very thin line between the two extremes but generally speaking I think this board manages quite well?Wink

UKPunk

Feb 4, 2013, 11:48 AM

Post #9 of 20 (2464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

There is always a very thin line between the two extremes but generally speaking I think this board manages quite well?Wink

So do I Isaac. Others have a different opinion of course as is their wont. It's a small example of the diversity that makes the forum so interesting.

Richard Rundle

Feb 4, 2013, 1:32 PM

Post #10 of 20 (2436 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Anything that is intended in an aggressive manner towards any other poster.

UKPunk

Feb 4, 2013, 1:44 PM

Post #11 of 20 (2425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Anything that is intended in an aggressive manner towards any other poster.

But it's not always as simple as that is it? An example would be a thread some years ago in which Youngster, APL and a couple of other posters were having a pop at each other and someone not directly involved in the discussion complained to the mods. What they didn't know was these guys have known each other for years and it was all in jest so rather than posters interfere why can't they just leave it to those involved to either sort it out or complain to the mods?

cope1

Feb 4, 2013, 2:34 PM

Post #12 of 20 (2406 views)
Shortcut

I find the level of discussion and behaviour on here very high but obviously there are times when people get up my nose. The thing I get cross with most is people deliberately misunderstanding what I've said, or at least, rather than asking for clarification on something, slagging the whole post off. This winds me up not only because it's childish and rude but also because it breaks up a perfectly interesting debate. I don't claim to be any saint but I try to ask questions when I think something doesn't add up, not just judge it as complete nonsense. It's invariably the case that if something seems to be nonsense then you are missing something.

acmold

Feb 4, 2013, 7:03 PM

Post #13 of 20 (2362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or

As I get older I try not to swear, football would be a far better if swearing on the field and in the dug-outs was cut out. So in our own little way if we refrain from using rude words it may help. As an aside I just turn off the so called comedians who swear every other word when doing their act or on a panel show. You can be funny without swearing it is a shame modern life was no racier or rude than a Donald McGill postcard or a Max Miller routine

Isaac

Feb 4, 2013, 7:52 PM

Post #14 of 20 (2347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I also find gratuitous swearing irksomeUnsure

VP

Feb 4, 2013, 10:20 PM

Post #15 of 20 (2321 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

But it can be funny. Try 'Ullo John, Gotta New Motor? (Part 4) by Alexei Sayle. Probably the swearyist song that's ever been recorded. I won't put a link on here but it is available on Youtube. For those interested, make sure you search for part 4. There were four different versions recorded.

cope1

Feb 4, 2013, 11:10 PM

Post #16 of 20 (2309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As I get older I try not to swear, football would be a far better if swearing on the field and in the dug-outs was cut out. So in our own little way if we refrain from using rude words it may help. As an aside I just turn off the so called comedians who swear every other word when doing their act or on a panel show. You can be funny without swearing it is a shame modern life was no racier or rude than a Donald McGill postcard or a Max Miller routine

I'm with you there. I find in comedy it is the refrain of those who can't figure out how else to get a laugh and on a football pitch it tends to be the refrain of those who don't really have anything useful to say, but want to be seen to be full blooded. When I played I often ended up doing a lot of the talking and swearing, I found, was a quick way to lose people's attention. Even if they don't realise it - and even if they disagree with what I've just written - I find people don't take you as seriously if you swear a lot. They might jump to it the first couple of times because of the shock but once they get used to it they don't take any notice.

jon b
First Team Star

Feb 5, 2013, 3:15 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #17 of 20 (2259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Many forums are unreadable because of the mindless clutter of infants using naughty words.

Mind you in some circumstances the absence of swearing can be amusing. I think it was a visiting Grantham Town central defender who, when receiving an adverse decision from the Ref coupled with lots of abuse from the home support, responded with a very loud "Oh, goodness gracious me" which brought loud laughter and applause from the crowd. Cool

prorege

Feb 5, 2013, 3:37 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #18 of 20 (2249 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I don't think you'd like Junior football in Scotland. Even the refs are known to swear at the players.

dabberfan
Youth Team Regular

Feb 5, 2013, 5:30 PM

Team(s): Nantwich Town FC, Warrington Wolves RLFC, Cheshire CCC

Post #19 of 20 (2229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I don't think you'd like Junior football in Scotland. Even the refs are known to swear at the players.

Or the Liverpool Premier League!

jon b
First Team Star

Feb 6, 2013, 6:52 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #20 of 20 (2156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dabberfan] Acceptable swear words..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Currently, most of the generally unacceptable adjectives I've been drawn into using when out and about, have preceded the word "snow". Frown

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3