Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Jan 25, 2013, 11:50 AM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #226 of 1758 (65714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Bad news for anybody who, like myself, was hoping to attend the first match here on Sunday v Cardiff Blues in LV cup. This match is being used as a test event and capacity is restricted to just their 3,500 season ticket holders. Dissappointed but feel more sorry for Blues fans or any Welsh rugby fans exiled in London who can't go and support their team than us groundhoppers who can pick out any game to attend there.

Thanks for that news Cherryhopper. I was planning to go to Copthall on Sunday but had just seen from Saracens' website the season ticket holders only news - although it is three or four clicks away from the 'Our Next Fixture' banner.

In the process I saw they have another Sunday home match coming up on 3 March against London Welsh. That one talks about matchday entrance and advance ticket sales for all and sundry. So I may go to that one - and I'll be able to supprt the away team, who I had been following for the last couple of seasons until they did a bunk out in to the sticks for this season's home games.

cl
Youth Team Regular

Jan 25, 2013, 8:31 PM

Post #227 of 1758 (65658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 26 January update

Neither coes of Rugby is much use a backup after a severe frost and there are few possibilities in the Midlands or North especially with details availbale predating the snow

With wet weather chances are much higher so RU only a realistic back up in the South West although Esher seem confident if no significant snow falls. This is walkable from Hersham Station

In the south west the nearest game for anyone heading west and south on M4 M5 is Weston Super Mare which has passed an inspection and also has a big stand. Further south Bourmemouth (adjacent to Bourmnemouth Sports ex Dorset County League) seem confident.

All six top games are likely to play as pitches are covered as a minimum including Harlequins Leicester and Bath plus Northampton although Sale may be at risk amd some of the on the day admission charges are excessive

Games off include Westcombe Park and Canterbury along with surprisingly Guernsey

In the Midlands Luctonians bear Leominster and possibly Newport ( Shropshire) say they have a chance at least pre snow as do Waterloo in Crosby but phone calls in the morning would be essential.

I am only passing on what I know and as always don't blame the messenger

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 26, 2013, 9:37 AM

Post #228 of 1758 (65609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cl] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or

Oxford Harlequins v Maidenhead South West Three bottom two clash is on according to club Tweets, in fact they have four teams at home today

ciderjon
First Team Star

Jan 26, 2013, 10:59 AM

Team(s):

Post #229 of 1758 (65597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cardiff v Cardiff Met Univ (SWALEC Cup) @ Cardiff Arms Park 2.30 is ON (club website). It's a 13th revisit but a new fixture (!) so there we will go.

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 26, 2013, 11:04 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #230 of 1758 (65597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Saturday 26 th January

With most football at places I need likely to be off a choice of six RU games is on:

Macclesfield v Coventry
Manchester v Altrincham Kersal
Heath v Old Brodlians
Stockport v DMP
Beverley v Morley
Driffield v Pontefract

Is there a decent website to find out whether these are on or not? Manchester, Stockport, Lymm or Macclesfield would suit me as I'm Stockport based today and have given up on football options...

EDIT: BBC has Stockport and Macclesfield off. Macc football still on (FAC v Wigan). Manchester also off (cheers Hoddy)

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (956) Wellington 0-2 Exmouth Town
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
15/10 FC United v Basford United
16/10 Ashland Rovers v Underwood Villa
19/10 Atherton Collieries v FC United

(This post was edited by oftenscore6 on Jan 26, 2013, 12:29 PM)

IAN S
First Team Star

Jan 26, 2013, 11:44 AM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #231 of 1758 (65584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not one that I know of - just a case of the old fashioned way, phone the clubhouse up, if no answer likely that game is off.

Not tried any as I CBA.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

Seagull
First Team Star

Jan 26, 2013, 9:08 PM

Post #232 of 1758 (65542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southport 3 Sefton 6
South Lancs and Cheshire 2 (level 8)
Att:115
Admission by donation
Programme £1 (20pp, decent effort)

One to note for when it's wet as this was in remarkable condition considering the state of the out pitches and local fields. It's also a very nice ground with an old wooden stand, hard standing and a small walled bank to watch from on the opposite side. Decent clubhouse doing real ale and hot food too.

The game was very tight and runaway leaders Sefton were fortunate to get the points as all the try scoring opportunities went Southport but they bombed the lot.

The ground is about two miles South of the town just past the Royal Birkdale golf course on the A565 and is well worth a visit.

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Jan 27, 2013, 9:10 AM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #233 of 1758 (65514 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

LUCTONIANS 5 STOURBRIDGE 13 National League Division 2 North

Admission-£7 inc programme Attendance 400+

After a morning of CBA and inertia I finally decided to go for some more egg-chasing and drove the 45 miles to Mortimer Park, Kingsland (a few miles north west of Leominster) home of Luctonians. The home officials had made a tremendous job of clearing the pitch, although they may have regretted it by the end as the midfield resembled a quagmire and will take some recovering. Mortimer Park is very basic; nice, new clubhouse, heaving with corporate hospitality pre-match; a complex of at least 6 rugby pitches; the main pitch is railed off on 2 sides with a very small uncovered meccano seating area on the far side and small overhang from a portakabin on the opposite side; the game was certainly one for the purists with most of the action going on in the middle of the park. Stourbridge led 6-0 at the interval courtesy of 2 penalties; they increased the lead with a converted try shortly before the end with the homesters replying with an unconverted try just before the final whistle.
Post-match refreshments were taken at the Queens in Ludlow and the Old Castle in Bridgnorth, both serving local Shopshire ales.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 27, 2013, 11:30 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #234 of 1758 (65423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leeds Carnegie have been ordered to replay their match v Plymouth Albion which they won 34-16 on January 6th due to the condition of the pitch which cut up so badly that scrums had to go uncontested. The match will be replayed next Sunday February 3rd at West Park RFC in Bramhope which has a 3g surface 2:30 KO. Their next 2 home games after that have been switched to Otley: February 10th v Newcastle which, to avoid clashing with Ireland v England, will kick off at 12 noon making a treble possible with Rugby League at Huddersfield 3pm or Castleford 3:30 followed by Dewsbury v Featherstone 6pm (Live on Premier Sports); March 3rd v Cornish Pirates KO 2:30. They hope to be back at Headingley for the visit of Rotherham on March 31st. As far as I'm aware Leeds Rhinos home games are unaffected by these pitch problems.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 28, 2013, 1:07 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #235 of 1758 (65383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Leeds Carnegie have been ordered to replay their match v Plymouth Albion which they won 34-16 on January 6th due to the condition of the pitch which cut up so badly that scrums had to go uncontested. The match will be replayed next Sunday February 3rd at West Park RFC in Bramhope which has a 3g surface 2:30 KO. Their next 2 home games after that have been switched to Otley: February 10th v Newcastle which, to avoid clashing with Ireland v England, will kick off at 12 noon making a treble possible with Rugby League at Huddersfield 3pm or Castleford 3:30 followed by Dewsbury v Featherstone 6pm (Live on Premier Sports); March 3rd v Cornish Pirates KO 2:30. They hope to be back at Headingley for the visit of Rotherham on March 31st. As far as I'm aware Leeds Rhinos home games are unaffected by these pitch problems.

Presumably because RL scrums have been uncontested for years........

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 28, 2013, 8:26 PM

Post #236 of 1758 (65324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

LV Cup
Sale Sharks 36-17 Scarlets
Admission: £17 (standing)

Revisit to Sale, unusually this season to see a home win. Competitive performance first half from a young Scarlets side who led for most of the first half. Once Sale got in front though, they didn't look like losing. In this bizarre competition structure, each team plays the teams in another pool (and none in their own) - don't let vienna get any ideas! Each had won 1 and lost one in Sale's pool, so bonus points were important - and Sale sealed theirs with a few minutes to spare.

Real ale available in the south and east stands (Auld Lang Syne in the south, a lighter beer in the other - not in all bars though). Advance tickets are £2 cheaper than I paid, but you need to buy them before the day. Seats are a hefty £27-47 for adults (also £2 cheaper in advance).

I'd learnt from my last visit that getting here clockwise around the M60 is a nightmare with queues at the junction for at least 90 minutes before kick off, and long waits afterwards to get out. There's still a queue but I'd recommend parking on the other side of the M60 - Eccles rugby league ground is one option, for any event here.

Pre-match, first ever visit to the Trafford CentreShocked. Wethertick taken at the Mardi Gras - Ringwood 49er OK, only 2 guest beers so not exactly a top Wetherspoons. More aimed at a food market.

On the agenda:

ciderjon
First Team Star

Jan 29, 2013, 10:21 AM

Team(s):

Post #237 of 1758 (65299 views)
Shortcut

Cardiff 20 Cardiff Metropolitan University 16

Swalec Cup 1R
Sat 26 Jan 13
Venue: Cardiff Arms Park
admit £5 (oldies but goodies reduction) prog £1
attn c.500

This cup has been much devalued by the WRU as it is now restricted to clubs from tiers 2 and 3, lower clubs playing in the bowl or plate competitions,taking away some of the magic of, say, a village side playing a well known name.

We nearly got a shock result here too, as the students put on decent display. Cardiff, who had Crimmins sent off, looked schoolboyish at times but undeservedly crept into the lead in the final few minutes.

Always a pleasure to visit the Arms Park, Men of the Match: The Groundstaff

Livener taken at City Arms, followed by lunch at Zero Degrees home-brew pub both adjacent to ground.

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

Loiner
First Team Star

Jan 29, 2013, 3:58 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #238 of 1758 (65279 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

The main pitch at West Park Leeds RUFC is NOT 3G, but grass.
There is a 3G pitch on the complex, but it has no spectator facilities and would be unsuitable for Championship competition.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 30, 2013, 10:55 PM

Post #239 of 1758 (65235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leeds 30-30 draw with Leinster A in British & Irish Cup on January 19 was played on the 3G pitch at West Park, moved there at the last minute. It was originally due to be played at South Leeds Stadium.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Jan 30, 2013, 10:59 PM)

Loiner
First Team Star

Jan 30, 2013, 11:23 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #240 of 1758 (65226 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Leeds 30-30 draw with Leinster A in British & Irish Cup on January 19 was played on the 3G pitch at West Park, moved there at the last minute. It was originally due to be played at South Leeds Stadium.

Yes you are correct there. The match should have kicked off at 11.30 and after snow was cleared finally got the go ahead at 12.45. There is a match report on the Leeds Carnegie section of the Leeds Rugby website, but no mention of the attendance.
They are charging £!0 on Sunday so I think it will be on the main pitch which has a seated stand, but no other cover.
As I mentioned before the 3G pitch has no spectator facilities. It is caged and similar to the ones used for football.

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 2, 2013, 6:10 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #241 of 1758 (65150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

London & South East Vase Semi Final

Maidstone 38 Old Priorians 0

@The Mote, Maidstone

No admission.charge, programmes were available but I didn't get one.

Both sides went into this with 100% records in their respective leagues and a close encounter was anticipated but it proved to be anything but, once the hosts got their noses in front it was one way traffic for the remainder of the first half and the visitors were probably fortunate to be only 12-0 down.

The visitors threatened briefly in the second half but rarely looked like breaching the hosts solid defence and the final scoreline was probably a true reflection of play.

My first rugby game for years, the most noticeable difference from football is the way players just get on with the game withoit whinging.

An enjoyable afternoon despite the cold swirling wind.

(This post was edited by Isaac on Feb 2, 2013, 6:44 PM)

Seagull
First Team Star

Feb 4, 2013, 10:55 AM

Post #242 of 1758 (65034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sat 2nd Feb 2012
National League 3 North
Kendal 22 Penrith 27
Att: 320 (h/c est)
Admission: £7
Prog: 24pp, fully professional and plenty to read, free with admission
Food: Cumberland Sausage Bap £2.50

After being called off at the last minute two weeks ago I had another crack at this fixture and I was very glad I did.

The game was most un-Union like, wide open and quick as Penrith were seemingly missing over half their regular pack so bottom of the table Kendal won about 6 or 7 scrums against the feed, leaving Penrith to play fast and loose and living off scraps of possession. It was 0-0 after half an hour but could easily have been about 20 all had some of the chances been taken. Then a very flappy drop goal openened the scoring for the visitors and from then on it was great fun. Penrith were 27-10 up on the hour, but the last 1/4 belonged to the home side and two tries gave them real hope of springing an upset, but they just lacked the composure to convert their possession into enough points. Final try count 4-3 to Penrith.

The ground is well worth a look, having been the home of Kendal RU since 1927. There's a great old barrel roofed stand with about 8 rows of wooden bench seating on the East side, with three separate areas around the ground of raised gras banking that provides a good view of the action and of the Southern Lakeland Fells.

A typical large RU clubhouse and changing room complex is at the entrance end, the bar had two handpulled beers from the Lancaster Brewery (Amber and Blonde).

Cracking afternoon out :)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 7, 2013, 7:43 PM

Post #243 of 1758 (64936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Darlington Mowden Park played their first match at the Northern Echo Arena last Saturday in which they beat Bromsgrove 62-7. Sunday saw the last ever match played on the first team pitch at Yiewsley Drive before the developers moved in, an Under 14's County Plate match v Westoe. The last match the first team played there turned out to be the 40-10 win over Birmingham on January 5 as the scheduled swansong v Huddersfield January 19 fell victim to the snow.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 7, 2013, 8:21 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #244 of 1758 (64932 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Darlington Mowden Park played their first match at the Northern Echo Arena last Saturday in which they beat Bromsgrove 62-7. Sunday saw the last ever match played on the first team pitch at Yiewsley Drive before the developers moved in, an Under 14's County Plate match v Westoe. The last match the first team played there turned out to be the 40-10 win over Birmingham on January 5 as the scheduled swansong v Huddersfield January 19 fell victim to the snow.

Attendance for the Bromsgrove game said to be between 1,800 and 2,000. Average at Yiewsley Drive was 300. Mowden Park expect to average between 600 and 700 at the NEA. That's an awful lot of empty seats.

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 10, 2013, 2:29 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #245 of 1758 (64852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ealing Trailfinders 34 Richmond 17
National League 1
Admission - £15.00 - complete and utter rip off.
Programme - 28 pages, match specific glossy print. Free with admission
Attendance - hard to tell as there we maybe 200 pitch side and maybe another hundred in an upstairs balcony area.

It's about three years since my last visit to the Trailfinders club. With the clubs rise through the leagues I thought that there may have been some ground changes. There is a new scoreboard/TV gantry, very much in an East German stylee. There is now some seating in front of the clubhouse but thats it. For a club close to promotion to the next level I thought a bit more work would have been done such as hardstanding.

The off the field facilities are very good and its just what Rugby Union people need as the majority who attend the games go for the social aspect and not the spectating of the game. Home made pies and Cumbrland Sausage baguettes (£3.75) were on sale in the clubhouse. The sausage was nice but no way was it Cumberland.

Despite the fine club house the spectating facilities are basic. Behind both sets of posts is grass standing. It's also grass standing opposite the clubhouse with a couple of portable uncovered seating stands in place. The ground is floodlit. A gazebo club shop is next to the club house selling clothing and club lapel badges.

The Moose
First Team Star

Feb 10, 2013, 3:13 PM

Team(s):

Post #246 of 1758 (64844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

12.15 ko: Eggchasing Championship - LONDON SCOTTISH 25 NOTTINGHAM 13

ADM: £12 PROG: £3 (poor) ATT: h/c 480

Having driven through snow on the way East to Londinium I was quite relieved to find game on and never in doubt with only light rain in Richmond. This was Brucie Bonus starters for me as main reason for heading this way was the 3pm ko at Staines Town later on. I was surprised how well the Jocks played against a team much higher in the table and the result was never really in doubt. If the rugby isn't up to much you can always plane spot being on the Heathrow flightpath.

Typical rugby ground where the bar facilities are far more important than the 'stadium'. Old concrete 60's style of cantilever stand with wooden bench uncomfortable seats which they charge much more to sit on. Spent most of the game standing on the terracing in front of the stand and was amazed on a chilly February day to see so many exiled Scots wearing their family logo skirts aka kilts! We even had a lone bagpipe player too to remind peeps of the Highlands. Rest of the ground is just railed off grass flat standing so not great but most of the locals stay on the main stand side. Mad dash in trusty steed onto;

CONFY SOUTH: STAINES TOWN 1 EASTLEIGH 3

KRTM Cool

Seagull
First Team Star

Feb 11, 2013, 11:54 AM

Post #247 of 1758 (64801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

North One West
Altrincham Kersal 3 Sale 9
Att: 180 (h/c)
Admission £3
Prog: free with admission, 24 pages, 4 page match insert.

This one wouldn't have lived long in the memory but for the warmth of the welcome at this very homely club.

The game was very much "one for the purists" as big spending Sale "Amateurs" just about deserved to win this 80 minutes of punt and grunt by 3 pens to 1. The heavy pitch didn't help but the home side just didn't have the pace or knowhow to break down the visitors defence despite spending an unfeasible amount of the 2nd half camped in their 22.

Pitch side facilities were nigh on non existant, it's simply a railed off pitch (but with match standard floodlights), one of three in a pleasant leafy area between Sale and Altrincham. There is a little raised grass standing on the West side of the ground sheltered by trees, which afforded a decent elevated view, but wellies were the order of the day as the pitch surrounds were sloppy to say the least.

The clubhouse was pleasant and the beer excellent (Monty's Pale Ale at 1.99 a pint), fast food was available in the clubhouse with a bbq going on the patio outside as well.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 15, 2013, 12:06 AM

Post #248 of 1758 (64580 views)
Shortcut

Italy v Wales on February 23 + all the recent postponements = a number
of SWALEC League matches re-arranged for Friday February22 and a few on Saturday morning:
Kick Off's 7:15 unless stated
Championship: Ebbw Vale v Glamorgan Wanderers; Newbridge v Llanharan; Tata Steel v Narberth.
League 1 East: Heol y Cyw v Tredegar.
League 1 West: Llangennech v Carmarthen Athletic.
League 2 E: Tylorstown v Llantwit Fardre (7pm); Rhiwbina v Garndiffaith (Sat 1130).
League 2 W: Haverfordwest v Builth Wells (Sat 1145).
League 3 E: Brynmawr v Abergavenny (Thursday 21st); Abertillery BG v Tredegar Ironsides.
League 3 SE: Penarth v Pentrych.
League 3W: Newcastle Emlyn v Amman Utd (Sat 1200).
League 4 SW: Bryncethin v Briton Ferry.
League 4W: Trimsaran v Llanybydder.
League 5E: Newport Saracens v RTB Ebbw Vale.
League 5W: Gowerton v Cefneithin; Pembroke v Pontyates.
League 6 Central: Cambrian Welfare v Llandrindon Wells (Sunday 24th 1430).
Fixtures from www.wru.co.uk/994_774.php subject to change, advisable to check on individual club websites. Please ignore all fixtures listed for this Sunday 17th, they all involve teams playing in SWALEC Cup/Plate/Bowl this Saturday and it's a safe bet they won't be playing twice in 2 days. Hopefully some of these will be re-arranged for Friday March 8th on Hop weekend. So far that night just Llandovery v Cross Keys in Premiership, Oakdale v Machen in 4E & New Dock Stars v St Davids (7:30) in 5W. If arriving in Wales a day early there's Tata Steel v Bonymaen in Championship & Blackwood Stars v Cefn Coed in 5SE on Thursday March 7th.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Feb 16, 2013, 5:19 PM

Post #249 of 1758 (64524 views)
Shortcut

Sat 16/02/13 (14:15): National 3 Midlands
Sutton Coldfield RUFC 31 Sandbach RUFC 5
Admission: £5 including programme
Programme: 20pp glossy with a few topical articles, match reports, fixtures etc.
Refreshments from the Hard Ruck Cafe: £3:00 pork bap and apple sauce, £1.60 2 x percolated coffees
Attendance: 204 (h/c).

The Ostrich continues his flight through the N3M clubs, (only South Leics, Nuneaton and Syston to see now) as Sutton Coldfield push for back-to-back promotions. They’ve won their last two matches, both away, scoring 98 and conceding none, but today was a sterner test – if you’re going to be consistently successful, whatever the shape of the ball, sometimes you’ve just got to get stuck in and grind out the win – and that’s what happened today; the final result in no way reflects the battle mid-table Sandbach put up.

Arriving reasonably early, I was able to secure a front row seat in the upstairs bar in front of the picture-windows, which gives about the only panoramic view you can get of the ground.

The Cheshire side were out of the starting blocks early, on a heavy-looking pitch and, with the philosophy that attack was going to be the best form of defence, they nearly shocked Sutton when SA.11 just failed to get in the corner in the 2nd minute. By the quarter-hour mark, the visitors had had a major proportion of the play, and Sutton were having to embark on some desperate defensive work at times. The excellent female referee sensibly ignored the odd bout of off-the-ball handbags and let the combatants get on with it, but quickly stamped on any dissent. With tempers fraying, play became a bit sloppy and SA.11 took advantage of a break-down in play on 25m to intercept and hack the ball forward, twice, breaking the defence and picking up to touch down in the right corner. The conversion drifted wide right.

Sutton, perhaps surprisingly, eschewed a couple of reasonable penalty attempts, but as the first half drifted to a close, they embarked on a long, 10 minute period of possession in the left-hand corner which left both Sandbach and the Ostrich woozy, the former from the pressure and the latter from having to hang over a central-heating radiator on at full blast in order to eyeball the action, and it was more than a relief when the home forwards finally drove over for a try which White converted.

Into the second half and on 51m, Sutton scored a second converted try, a hack-on and pick-up similar to Sandbach’s opener but nowhere near as elegant. Play was then fairly evenly poised, and it was only in the last 10 minutes that Sutton pulled away with further converted tries from White, a break through the middle, and SC.18, finishing off a move wide to the right. A penalty from last play of the match made it 31-5, a somewhat flattering score, but a win is a win and it keeps Sutton up in contention with Ampthill for the league title.

(This post was edited by Ostrich on Feb 16, 2013, 5:21 PM)

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 17, 2013, 10:53 PM

Post #250 of 1758 (64431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sun 17 Feb 1500
Kassam Stadium, Oxford
London Welsh 25-26 Sale Sharks
Admission: £10 + £2 booking fees
Attendance: 4082

A lovely day for a first visit for me to the Kassam Stadium, out in the countryside, and without any of the town sighted as I travelled on the Sale supporters coach. Pre-match stop in Brackley, a useful reccy should FC United get promoted this season! Quick post-match beer in the Priory Inn, next to the ground - well actually in their marquee as there's no real ale in the main bar, or within the ground.

In this 3 sided ground, I was in the bottom of the south stand at the open end. The stand behind the goal was closed and I think it was only London Welsh fans in the stand opposite (mixed in south stand). There is quite a pricing difference, as blocks went from £10 to £22 in the next block and £26 in the one after. There's a screen at the open end, but it spent quite a bit of time showing adverts rather than the action or replays.

The match see-sawed with Sale opening an early lead, then giving away several penalties to allow Welsh to build up a 12-3 lead before coming back right at the end of the first half to score the first try (converted) to take a 13-12 lead. Another 7 points for Sale was added within 3 minutes of the restart and it looked like Sale might kick on from 20-12, but Welsh scored a penalty straight back, before a try of their own. Another penalty stretched their lead to 5 before Sale replied twice, once off the inside of the post to take the lead in the final 10 minutes. With 2 minutes to go, from a sustained spell of pressure, Sale got a penalty in front of the posts, but elected for a tap penalty - reasoning being that if they could score a converted try, that would eliminate Welsh's consolation bonus point, but that almost came back to bite them, as they lost the ball within 20 seconds remaining, but on the Welsh tryline. After an initial break, Sale contained quite well however and after several phases, the indiscipline was on the Welsh side and Sale were able to kick it out to finish the game. Cracking finish!

This leaves an intriguiging dogfight at the foot of the table, with Sale a single point behind London Irish and Welsh 2 points further ahead. Worcester aren't out of it yet, another 4 points further ahead. There are 7 games to go.

I had an interesting chat at the game with a fella with an Oxford Cavaliers Rugby league top on at the game. Several people with him were also involved in rugby league in the area and he's looking forward to the Championship 1 side starting up shortly - they've taken 3 of last year's Cavaliers side, but those not getting a game with the more senior side could well be making appearances for the Cavaliers... I can see why Oxford rugby league side are choosing not to clash with London Welsh though.

On the agenda:

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3