Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

Seagull
First Team Star

Feb 18, 2013, 2:28 PM

Post #251 of 1758 (71625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

North One West
Kirkby Lonsdale 9 Liverpool St Helens 40
Att: 240 (h/c)
Admission: 3 including smart full colour prog (only 4 match specific pages though)

Feversham Lens covered this one in depth earlier this season and it's fair to say that on a nice day (as this was, for Mid Feb) there are few finer places to spend your Saturday afternoon.

The view from the "high" side, compete with grass banks, railed, raised standing and a wonderfully ricketty old wooden stand are splendid with the Western Yorkshire Dales as a high quality backdrop.

Luckily for me this was also a half decent game with the league leading visitors eventually running in 6 tries against a very spirited home side who although second best in many departments never kept trying and were loudy encouraged by the voiciferous locals.

Thoroughly grand entertainment in exquisite surroundings. Oh and a very decent pint too.... Cool

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 18, 2013, 4:07 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #252 of 1758 (71609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

North Lancs Cumbria League
Aspatria 31 Old Aldwinians 18
Admission - 4.00 (non member)
Programme - Free
Attendance - 120 (hc)

Where is Aspatria - well its about 9 miles from Cockermouth, 8 miles from Maryport and 8 miles from Wigton in West Cumbria. It can be accessed by public transport by rail and lies on the Carlisle to Barrow line. The station is about a 5 minute walk to the Rugby Ground. Although it is classed as a small town (its population is around 2,700), Lake District Cheese is produced here and Sealy beds manufactured.

Despite the size of the town Bower Park is one of the better grounds in Cumbrian Rugby Union. It boasts a raised covered seated stand for around 200 people, new floodlights and two step terracing on two sides. There is a also a large clubhouse. The following day two representative Rugby League games between sides from Cumbria and Lancashire were taking place. Aspatria (or Spyat-tree to West Cumbrians or A-spay tree arrr - to posh outsiders whio have moved to the area) used to be the top club in Cumbria many years ago but they have been left behind by Penrith and Kendal. They could still gain promotion this season so the win was a vital one for them.

Just a word on the match programme. For this level of Rugby Union it is very good. It consists of a 40 page shell with the match details on the front cover. There are some very interesting articles inside and it is well presented. Also stapled inside is a 20 page match specific insert which is a good read. It puts the efforts of many higher level clubs to shame.

There's nothing to see in the town but a visit to the Rugby Club is recommended.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 18, 2013, 7:55 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #253 of 1758 (71585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sun 17 Feb 1500
Kassam Stadium, Oxford
London Welsh 25-26 Sale Sharks
Admission: 10 + 2 booking fees
Attendance: 4082

There's a screen at the open end, but it spent quite a bit of time showing adverts rather than the action or replays.

I had an interesting chat at the game with a fella with an Oxford Cavaliers Rugby league top on at the game. Several people with him were also involved in rugby league in the area and he's looking forward to the Championship 1 side starting up shortly - they've taken 3 of last year's Cavaliers side, but those not getting a game with the more senior side could well be making appearances for the Cavaliers... I can see why Oxford rugby league side are choosing not to clash with London Welsh though.

Interesting to read about the screen - pity they don't leave it in place for football, unless it's just been put up. The pitch has been ruined incidentally - it was in a terrible state for last Tuesday's game against Fleetwood, badly rutted and sanded in places.

First time I've seen a reference to the 'Cavaliers' and while I'm not a fan of naming sports clubs in this way (as happens in cricket these days) at least they showed a bit of imagination in using a name with Civil War origins.

acmold

Feb 19, 2013, 12:00 PM

Post #254 of 1758 (71539 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To
Sun 17 Feb 1500
Kassam Stadium, Oxford
London Welsh 25-26 Sale Sharks
Admission: 10 + 2 booking fees
Attendance: 4082

There's a screen at the open end, but it spent quite a bit of time showing adverts rather than the action or replays.

I had an interesting chat at the game with a fella with an Oxford Cavaliers Rugby league top on at the game. Several people with him were also involved in rugby league in the area and he's looking forward to the Championship 1 side starting up shortly - they've taken 3 of last year's Cavaliers side, but those not getting a game with the more senior side could well be making appearances for the Cavaliers... I can see why Oxford rugby league side are choosing not to clash with London Welsh though.

Interesting to read about the screen - pity they don't leave it in place for football, unless it's just been put up. The pitch has been ruined incidentally - it was in a terrible state for last Tuesday's game against Fleetwood, badly rutted and sanded in places.

First time I've seen a reference to the 'Cavaliers' and while I'm not a fan of naming sports clubs in this way (as happens in cricket these days) at least they showed a bit of imagination in using a name with Civil War origins.

Been watching the Cavaliers since 2000 been putting bits on here for the last 5 or 6 years, I had a feeling no one ever read what I wrote Cool

https://picasaweb.google.com/...lSonics?noredirect=1#

https://picasaweb.google.com/...rdCavaliersOxfordRFC#

Chris1963

Feb 19, 2013, 7:15 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #255 of 1758 (71502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Since I am not a rugby fan myself, until recently (when I got internet access at home) I did not bother to read the 'other sports' section much, if at all. But now that I have time to do so, I find it quite interesting especially when comparing it to football in terms of spectator facilities and programme issuing, etc.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 23, 2013, 1:31 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #256 of 1758 (71371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 22 February - Swalec League Division 3 South-East
Penarth 10-0 Pentyrch - Attendance approx 100
Admission 3 including 20 page programme from games original date 29 December (par for the course for these re-arranged Friday night matches on 6 Nations Weekends but better than no programme at all) with only the home team line-up with their positions in English and Welsh, visitors to be confirmed. Knew before setting out that Tylorstown was frozen off but thought the coast would have a better chance of playing than the Valleys. After Tondu and Tata Steel failed to answer their phones settled on Penarth who confirmed their game was on. Pitch was a bit hard but frost free and was railed off only on near side, behind which was a building containing 2 clubhouses, a kitchen, changing rooms and an old stand on top which may or may not be condemmed. There were 6 people watching the game from here but couldn't work out how to get into the stand until I saw them come out at the end through the kitchen door. The only way in from outside was through a gate which was locked. Luckily it was quite sheltered from the biting wind in front of the stand unlike on the far side which only had some temporary barriers and a roped off cricket square, nothing behind either goal. The game itself wasn't great, the home side with the wind at their backs camped firmly in the visitors half for 30 minutes with only 3 points to show until Aaron Ellis went over for the game's only try. Pentyrch did have a bit more territory in a stop-start scoreless second half but couldn't get back into it and ended the game pegged back in their own 22 for most parts. My lowest ever rugby score but still yet to see a try-less game.
There are now four Principality Premiership matches on Friday 8 March for those attending the hop but have done Ton Pentre. They are Bridgend v Swansea, Carmarthen Quins v Llanelli, Llandovery v Cross Keys and Pontypridd v Aberavon all 7:15 KO's.

PaulC

Feb 23, 2013, 6:20 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #257 of 1758 (71361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

RBS WEST REGIONAL SHIELD - FINAL

Marr 64-31 Kilmarnock
At Fullarton, Troon
Admission: 2 (including programme)
Attendance: 350

RBS sponsors the three national club knockout competitons - Cup, Shield and Bowl - the finals of which are all held at Murrayfield Stadium (this season on 20 April) in a marvellous end-of-season festival of club rugby.

The Cup is competed for by clubs in the 3 national divisions. The Shield is competed for by clubs in the top 2 levels of the regional leagues (for the purposes of the competition clubs are divided into 4 regions - West, East, Borders and Caledonia (Midlands and North) whilst the Bowl is competed for by all remaining clubs.

The 4 regional Shield winners play a semi-final for the right to appear at Murrayfield, so as well as being the West final this match was effectively a national quarter-final.

Kilmarnock are the current holders of the West Regional Shield, but only their most fervent supporters could have thought they had any chance against a Marr team which has steamrollered all opposition this season, winning every match they have played - in the league they have a perfect record winning all their 14 matches and picking up a bonus point for scoring 4 or more tries in every match. Their match average is 50 points scored with under 10 conceded.

On a beautiful winter' day, with a blue sky and a nip in the air, the match started as one might have anticipated and after 20 minutes Marr had run in 4 converted tries and led 28-3. It looked as if the game would end in a cricket score, but astonishingly Kilmarnock fought back and in the second quarter they dominated the match with their forwards posing a lot of problems for the Marr defence. Half-time Marr 37-17 Kilmarnock.

The second half continued in a similar vein - although Marr always maintained a healthy lead, Killie did not roll over and continued to ask questions of the Marr defence. The final try count was 10-4 to Marr.

So Marr progress to the National Shield semi-finals. They will be joined in the draw by Aberdeenshire (from Aberdeen) (league record 13-0-1) who are the Caledonia winners, Berwick from Borders and the winners of next weekend's East Final between Livingston (league record 12-0-0) and RHC Cougars (Royal High/Corstorphine) from Edinburgh.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Feb 23, 2013, 6:29 PM)

Seagull
First Team Star

Feb 25, 2013, 11:03 AM

Post #258 of 1758 (71283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

North One West
Vale of Lune 20 Liverpool St Helens 16
Att: 125 (h/c)
Admission 5
Prog: Free - 16 pages, 8 match specific. Lots to read but a fixture list and league table wouldn't go amiss.

Powderhouse Lane is one of my favourite sporting venues. A large ramshackle clubhouse at one end, 9 steps of terracing the full length of the pitch, large grass and tree lined bank for those with mountain goat tendancies and always a warm, down to earth welcome. The ground is on the edge of Torrisholme, between Lancaster and Morecambe and has a semi rural feel with plenty of small hills and greenery around. Not one for a cold, wet day (there's no cover any more since the stand was demolished) but on a fine day it's a grand place to be. The pitch is massive and very much encourages open rugby, with 20m in goal areas and loads of width.

Top of the table LSH looked well in control at 9-3 up at h/t (all pens), but Vale came back strong the second half, scored a penalty try after numerous scrum resets on the line and then scored an absolute cracker of a try through their pitbull of a scrum half who seemed to take on half the LSH side over a mazy 40m run, bouncing off tackles before darting between the posts for what proved to be the game winning try. LSH scored a good one of their own with a perfectly executed 3/4 line scissor move, but a late penalty for Vale meant they could hold out for a win that lifts them to 3rd the league, with a game against the other top dogs, Sale, at home next week.

If you're not impartial to the odd bit of punt and grunt it's a game well worth considering.

(This post was edited by Seagull on Feb 25, 2013, 11:06 AM)

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 25, 2013, 1:11 PM

Post #259 of 1758 (71272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

AVIVA Premiership
Leicester Tigers 27 Saracens 32
Admission 24.00 to stand - complete and utter rip off - I know I should have avoided it.
Programme - 3.00 - 100 pages very good with lots to read
Attendance - 20,728

Quite a subdued atmosphere for the late Saturday night 8.00pm kick off. Interesting to hear two Brummies embarrass themselves. One was attending his first ever game of Rugby. He was a "Villaaar" supporter and couldn't understand why all the crowd were not singing songs so he decided he would sing "get into em and [email protected]@@ em up" a few times. He also thought that, even though he had never played Rugby, it looked quite easy and he would be good at it. He then had to leave before half time because he was cold.

Can't say I would recommend a visit due to the expensive admission fee.

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 3, 2013, 2:13 PM

Post #260 of 1758 (69606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Midlands 1 East
Peterbrough Lions 54 Market Bosworth 19
Admisssion - ?
Programme - 2.00
Attendance - around 100

Very strange set up at Peterborough Lions. Just to clarify Peterborough Lions could be classed as the second Rugby Union Club behind the longer established Peterborough RFC. Both clubs now play at the same level but the upstart Lions, who have quite a bit of money behind them, have moved forward on the field and are leaving the older club behind.

From their website,

"The Club was formed in 1944 by workers at the Baker Perkins factory, who organised a team to play against the Free French Air Force based at the Westwood aerodrome, hence the original name of the club.

The Club remained on this site until the relocation of APV Baker in the late 1980's. The club then became nomadic moving from Phropres Sports Club to Stanground College to Deacon School, where the Club formed close links and launched its junior section.

The 2000 to 2001 season saw the club promoted to East Midlands Div I, missing out on the championship spot on points difference. Cup competition saw The Club progress for the first time to the 3rd round of the Tetley Bitter Vase, a performance that we intend to improve upon. Relegation in 2003-4 occurred despite the club having a thriving social side and significant numbers of new payers.

In 2005 the club changed its name to Peterborough Lions and signed a deal to play its home games (2005-6) at Peterborough United Football Ground. Promotion to Midland 4 ES rapidly followed. A change in ownership at the football club saw the Lions move after two successful seasons to the East of England Showground for the 2007-8 season.

Finally for the first time since leaving Baker Perkins at the end of the 1980 the club can look forward to a home to call its own. Thanks to the support of Peterborough City Council the Lions are leasing part of Bretton Park for the next 60 years. Ambitious plans have been drawn up for a new clubhouse, playing and training facilities.

Due to time constraints the start of the 2009 season will see the Lions making use of temporary accommodation at Bretton Park. However the location and the support of the local community will ensue that a warm welcome awaits all who visit the new Lions Den".

I think that there is probably a bit of, lets say, not friendly rivalry as the Lions have more money to spend than Peterborough and aquired a large contingent of their players. The Lions line up contained a large number of Lithuanians and a smattering of South Africans.

The ground is very difficult to find with my sat nav giving up. Basically you need to get near to the Cresset Shopping Centre in Bretton a suburb of Peterborough. Lets just say it appears to be a rough area. If you can get to the back of Sainsbury's you are nearly there. There is a small wooded area, with quite a few taxis parked up. The ground is behind the wood. It's a very large site with the club having two pitches, clubhouse and car park enclosed by security fencing. The changing rooms are outside the complex in a block of changing rooms used for adjacent football pitches.

It's a really quirky set up. I believe that the land used to be used as a school sports facility. It is now a bit of a dump. The club have laid a car park with some derelict tarmac tennis courts next to it. It could easily be used for overflow car parking if required but I'm not sure if there is adequate access. The main feature is a massive clubhouse area which is of the temporary corporate hospitality nature used as golf tournamnets etc. It really has seen better days and is a bit ramshackle. The strange thing is when you go inside a new wooden chalet type clubhouse has been constructed inside. The rest of the place has either been abandoned or never developed. The wooden chalet is bland inside with a small bar. Outside is a small tarmaced area with bench seating fastended to the ground. An electronic scoreboard is in place but does not work so a cricket scoreboard was used today instead. There is a large metal fence down one side of the pitch and that is it. The rest of the site has various portacabins, bits of fencing etc left lying around. It's hard to tell if things will be developed or this is it. Anyhow it is quirky and ramshackle. From rumours going around Peterborough the club allegedly do pay out a lot in wages so that may be where their prioroities lie. If they do move up the leagues and did develop the facilities you could guarantee that any grandstand would be built out of scaffolding poles and planks. It's just that sort of place.

I arrived late so I'm not sure if there is any admission charge. There were a couple of young girls in the clubhouse with a box of programmes and I purchased one for 2.00. Its a 20 page A5 issue printed professionally on glossy paper in full colour. It is also match specific.

On the field the Lions dominated but seemed to get bored as they racked up the scores.

simonblues
Youth Team Regular

Mar 3, 2013, 3:56 PM

Post #261 of 1758 (69593 views)
Shortcut

Midweek Rugby!

Those of you who have not visited Delves Road, Walsall may be interested in a rare midweek match under our floodlights.

Wednesday 27th March KO 7.30pm
Staffordshire Cup Quarter Final
WALSALL v LICHFIELD

First team match, usual admission is 4 including a programme.

Will double check all the details on Saturday when we are at home to Stratford.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 3, 2013, 4:47 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #262 of 1758 (69582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonblues] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Midweek Rugby!

Those of you who have not visited Delves Road, Walsall may be interested in a rare midweek match under our floodlights.

Wednesday 27th March KO 7.30pm
Staffordshire Cup Quarter Final
WALSALL v LICHFIELD

First team match, usual admission is 4 including a programme.

Will double check all the details on Saturday when we are at home to Stratford.

Excellent Simon - keep us posted

The Moose
First Team Star

Mar 3, 2013, 5:00 PM

Team(s):

Post #263 of 1758 (69575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonblues] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

EGGCHASING DIV.1: CINDERFORD 37 ESHER 41

ADM: 10 PROG: 2 ATT: h/c 400

This had always been one of the to do list one day and it wasn't till around lunchtime I made the decision to head to the Forest of Dean. Well chuffed I did too as even though I'm more of a footy buff I thoroughly enjoyed the game as the result was in doubt right up to the final whistle. With five tries for each side it could've gone either way.

Like its neighbour up the hill, Dockham Road has two sides which are steep grass banks providing superb views over the Forest and beyond to the Brecon Beacons. A small olde worlde wooden bench stand on the clubhouse side and elevate pitch carved out into the hill. On a pleasant Spring day this was a delightful place to spend my afternoon.

Bimbled up the hill to catch the last half an hour of

STH. LGE DIV.1 S+W: CINDERFORD TOWN 2 YATE TOWN 2

Both grounds are well worth the visit though interesting to note the rugby is the main sport in the town getting around 400 compared to the footy's 138. Grounds in this part of the world never fail to disappoint.

KRTM Cool

Seagull
First Team Star

Mar 4, 2013, 4:04 PM

Post #264 of 1758 (69491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SWALEC Welsh Division Two North
Denbigh 30 Colwyn Bay 3
Admission: 2 including 20pp prog (8 pages match specific)
Att: 95 (h/c)

I'd always been curious about how the Northern Divisions in Wales had been re-aligned within the league structure (they used to start at Division 5 level if memory serves correct), so I wasn't expecting too much quality at a level which may once have been supposedly on a par with National League division 6 (effectively 8, with the Premiership and Championship now in place).

My fears worsened when the visitors ran out in a fair old mish mash of shorts/socks (although almost all were navy and white, just not all the same kit or vintage!).

It was obvious from the outset there was only going to be one winner as Denbigh not only looked the part but were stronger in every department as well as being bigger/faster/fitter. The only surprise that that through their own over elaborance and profligacy they only managed 5 tries. It was no surprise at all that Colwyn Bay didn't get a sniff of a 5 pointer all afternoon but to their credit they never gaver up even though the situation was beyond hopeless for most of the time.

The ground is much more non league football than typical RU club. Railed on 3 sides with floodlights it also boasts a neat modern stand with concrete terracing and crash barriers that would shelter around 70-80. There's also hard standing along most of the side nearest the clubhouse, which has a number of rooms but was much more down to earth than most you'd encounter in English Union circles.

Not in the most scenic location on the edge of an industrial estate to the North of the Town it does have good views of the Clwydian Hills to the East however and on a pleasant early Spring Afternoon I could have done much worse for two quid!

Quite hard to compare the standard to the English system as there was a big gap between the sides. Denbigh would probably be OK in North One West (level 6), but Colwyn Bay would be a couple of Divisions lower, being level 8 at best I guess. I'm going to try to get to a game in Division One North before the season's out to see what the standard in that is like.

cope1

Mar 4, 2013, 9:36 PM

Post #265 of 1758 (69472 views)
Shortcut

RFU PREMIERSHIP
Sunday 3 March 2013

Saracens 35 - 14 London Welsh (Allianz Park, Copthall - att. 9,960 or so)

25 for a ticket in one of the temporary stands (at one end); 3 for a programme; 5 for a burger(!); 2.50 for chips; 1 for a cup of tea was very reasonable I thought.

The mrs and I went along to see what was what, both having been to Copthall as kids for sports days. The setup is good excepting the predictably extortionate food prices. Sarries got a win and a bonus point to go top of the table and the atmosphere was fairly good (bearing in mind the amount of 'encouragement' given over the tannoy etc). What's a nice touch is that people can go on the pitch after the players have left it so kids can play around etc. The thing that did get up my nose a bit was, sitting at ground level, having the London Welsh squad players and coaches warming up in front of us and obscuring our view. I wished they'd buggered off and done it somewhere else - not in front of paying fans trying to see the game.

Overall worthwhile although I'd like it to be about a fiver cheaper per ticket. The mrs enjoyed her look at Gavin Henson's arse and she is pleased with her gloves and scarf (and chips!).

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 5, 2013, 12:20 AM

Post #266 of 1758 (69455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

UPDATE on SWALEC League fixtures this Thursday & Friday for those heading to Wales for the hop with a few additional matches from previous post, KO's 7:15 unless stated:
Championship - Friday - Llanharan v Bargoed.
Tata v Steel v Bonymaen previously scheduled for this Thursday now being played March 23.
Division 1 East - Thursday - Merthyr v Gilfach Goch.
Division 2 East - Thursday - Llantwit Fardre v Rhiwbina
Division 4 East - Friday - Blaenavon v Monmouth; Oakdale v Machen
Division 4 SW - Thursday - Pyle v Penlan (7pm)
Division 5 SE - Thursday - Blackwood Stars v Cefn Coed
Division 5 West - Friday - New Dock Stars v St Davids (7:30) ground just over roundabout from Parc y Scarlets on A484.

Seagull
First Team Star

Mar 5, 2013, 5:10 PM

Post #267 of 1758 (69404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Although some way away, depending on what direction you are travelling from there is also:

Friday 8th March
Wrexham v Welshpool
SWALEC Lge 3 North
7-30 ko

Ground at Bryn Estyn Road on the Holt side of Wrexham, LL13 9TY

Looks to be railed with a decent sized stand and floodlights.

(This post was edited by Seagull on Mar 5, 2013, 5:14 PM)

SKY BLUE TAT
Youth Team Regular

Mar 7, 2013, 6:16 PM

Team(s): coventry city ,leicester tigers, coventry bees, leicestershire ccc

Post #268 of 1758 (69094 views)
Shortcut

A venue change for Saturday 9th March
NATIONAL 3 MIDLANDS
BROADSTREET v SCUNTHORPE
@ RUGBY LIONS RFC . Webb Ellis Road. 3PM.

This is due to the Daily Mail school's cup competitions being played at Broadstreet.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 8, 2013, 9:14 PM

Post #269 of 1758 (68974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SKY BLUE TAT] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 8 March 2013 @ Church Bank
Llandovery 39-17 Cross Keys - Attendance about 250
Admission 12 - Programme (28 pages) 2
A nightmare journey which took over 5 hours to drive 170 niles from my home near Ringwood - the main hold up a broken down vehicle on the M4 roundabout at Swindon which took 40 minutes to get past - meant missing the first 10 minutes and an early Llandovery try. The Drovers added 2 penalties before scoring another try from a well worked move on the left hand side which started in their ownhalf. Cross Keys kicked their only points of the half before another home try made it 25-3 at half time. The bonus point was secured early in 2nd half after a kick through. The visitors then started to make a game of it coming back with 2 tries of their own but the home side had the last word scoring their 5th try to make the final score 39-17. The ground is dominated by an impressive elevated stand with seats in the clubs green, red & white colours spelling out LRFC flanked by 2 covered terraces. A narrow terraceprovides more cover on opposite side withno barriers behind either goal, one end has the entrance and clubhouse with another pitch behind far end.

simonblues
Youth Team Regular

Mar 9, 2013, 8:16 PM

Post #270 of 1758 (68917 views)
Shortcut

Midlands West 1
WALSALL 26-14 STRATFORD UPON AVON
Delves Road, Walsall.
2 (membership) including programme.

Fairly comfortable victory in the end although Walsall spent much of the last 10 minutes showing solid defence as the visitors tried to turn the game round. Three tries to one in the mud at Delves Road.

MIDWEEK MATCH
The details of the forthcoming floodlit midweek match posted earlier were confirmed in todays programme. You would all be very welcome at-

Wednesday 27th March ko 7.30pm
Staffs Cup Quarter Final
WALSALL v LICHFIELD (first team match)
Delves Road, Walsall.
4 admission including programme, bar and tea bar open throughout.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 12, 2013, 12:22 AM

Post #271 of 1758 (68803 views)
Shortcut

List of SWALEC League matches this week on Thursday 14th & Friday 15th March:
(KO's 7:15 unless stated)
Championship - Friday - Bridgend Athletic v Llanharan; Ebbw Vale v Bonymaen
Division 1 East - Thursday - Merthyr v Heol y Cyw
Friday - Rumney v Rhydyfelin (6:15); Tredegar v Penallta; Ystrad Rhondda v Gilfach Goch
Division 1 West - Thursday - Kenfig Hill v Loughor
Division 2 East - Friday - Abercynon v Llantwit Fardre; Llantrisant v Pill Harriers
Division 2 West - Friday - Haverfordwest v Aberystwyth (7:30)
Division 3 East - Friday - Abertillery BG v Brynmawr; Pontypool Utd v Abergavenny
Division 3 SE - Friday - Brecon v Pentyrch
Division 4 East - Thursday - Clifynydd v Chepstow (7pm); Oakdale v Machen
Friday - Caldicot v Hafodyrynys
Division 4 SW - Friday - Birchgrove v Glyncorrwg; Nantyffyllon v Pyle
Division 4 West - Friday - Tycroes v Llanybydder
Division 5 East - Friday - Usk v Nantyglo; Brynithel v Rogerstone (Saturday 1230)
Division 5 South Central - Thursday - Ferndale v Glyncoch.
It is advisable to check these games on each club website including away team if home site doesn't mention the game.

Jim S
Youth Team Star

Mar 14, 2013, 10:50 PM

Team(s):

Post #272 of 1758 (68671 views)
Shortcut

TWICKENHAM

Can anyone help please. We are going to Twickenham in a couple of weeks (Saracens v Ulster). Where are the best places to park or the easiest way to get to the stadium.

Thanks.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 14, 2013, 11:50 PM

Post #273 of 1758 (68661 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jim S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South West Trains run half hourly services to London Waterloo from both Reading and Windsor & Eton Riverside which stop at Twickenham. I often catch the train from Sunningdale just off the A30 on the former line but if you're coming from Chorley the latter line would be your best bet, Datchet (2 miles from J5 of the M4) looks the easiest station to reach on that line.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 15, 2013, 7:01 PM

Post #274 of 1758 (68518 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 16 March 2013
With another wet Saturday forecast rugby backups to the weekend football may be needed. Not mentioned in last Sundays Rugby Paper are the regional finals of the Intermediate Cup, Senior and Junior Vase which double as National Quarter Finals. KO's 3pm unless stated:
Intermediate Cup
North - Bridlington v Eccles
Midlands - Coalville v Old Laurentians
London & SE - North Walsham v Brighton (2:30)
Senior Vase
North - Selby v Trafford Metropolitan Vickers
Midlands - Stourbridge Lions v Old Leamingtonians (2pm, I think they play at same ground as the main Stourbridge club)
London & SE - Maidstone v Cantabrigians (2:30)
Junior Vase
North - Manchester Medics v Baildon (they groundshare at Bowdon RFC)
Midlands - Harbury v Old Yardleians
London & SE - Wymondham v Farnham (2:30)
The South West Finals were played on February 23rd with St Austell, Drybrook and Newent winning through to the National Semi Finals which take place on Easter Saturday.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Mar 15, 2013, 10:43 PM

Post #275 of 1758 (68496 views)
Shortcut

Cherryhopper, many thanks for that, as you've just given me a Plan B for tomorrow (Harbury) if Woodford United doesn't survive the rain .....

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3