Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Archive: 2012-13 CUP Results:
London Sunday Intermediate Cup 2012-2013

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 4, 2013, 4:40 PM

Team(s): Edmonton Rovers (Sunday League) ...and whoever I film for !

Post #26 of 41 (3390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shoots] London Sunday Intermediate Cup 2012-2013 [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hughesvideo I think we would like you to do the Matchday videoing for us, whats the best way to organize it?

I'll P.M. you shortly with details,

http://www.hughesvideoservices.co.uk
http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/hughesvideo

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 4, 2013, 6:24 PM

Post #27 of 41 (3386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] London Sunday Intermediate Cup 2012-2013 [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

HughesVideo, I will defer to you in most cases regarding the quality of Edmonton Rovers' opponents since you were actually at those games and I was not. I accept that edited YouTube highlights might also give an unrealistic impression of a match.

I just find it very hard to imagine Dees or LML Reserves being as good as Yavruvatan for example. Yavruvatan got to the Intermediate Cup final (where they lost to an exceptional Clapton Rangers team), and a couple of seasons before that, were also knocked out by the Intermediate Cup winners Albion Manor (who if we recall stopped Aris' 4 year consecutive undefeated and winning streak as 4 time Intermediate/Challenge cup winners). Can a team defeated in a close contest by probably one of the top 5 sides in London (at the time) really be on a par with LML and Dees Reserves?

I thought Nacional de Londres looked very good going forward. They had some skillful players
(but I agree with you that they did not look so good at the back). Even you admitted that your game against a weakened Albion Manor "was not a close game" and that them winning only 1-0 was because "Albion Manor missed loads of chances". Even as weakened as they were, they were knocked out on penalties AET by a Turkish team that got to the semi-final. Can Dees and LML really be as good as them?

Point taken about A Small World and Kensington Athletic (I think our efforts got them put back in the Junior Cup where they should be!). LOL at "
A Small World were the worst team we have ever played in our 36-year history"! Laugh

Shoots
Junior Team Sub

Mar 4, 2013, 8:00 PM

Post #28 of 41 (3383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] London Sunday Intermediate Cup 2012-2013 [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

Cetinkaya controlled most of the posession of the game but it was us that created the clear cut chances.

We should have gone ahead after 5 minutes but their keeper pulled off a fantastic save.

We had a goalmouth scramble where two shots were saved off the line, then we took the lead on the half hour mark when our tricky winger cut in from the right & drilled a great shot past the diving goalie.

HT: Cetinkaya 0-1 Shoots

Second half they started to come at us more with a long ball over the top to their pacey no 10 as their main source of attack, our defence did well with the high line & caught him offside many times.

We should have gone 2-0 up when the same guy who scored the goal was 1on1 with the goalie but the keeper made another good stop. Just after missing that chance they levelled on the hour mark when the no 10 finally broke the offside trap & rolled the ball past me as I started to try & close down the angle.

This rocked us for a bit & the game looked destined for extra time but on 87mins our main striker managed to crack a volley from outside the box right into the bottom corner.

The last 5-6 mins were pretty scary but they never actually managed to get a shot on target except for the goal that they scored. They even resorted to diving in the final minute to win a penalty but the referee was clever enough to spot it, some would have been conned.

They are a very good side but we stuck it out & dug deep. I would say there was probably only 4 non cypriot players that played against us, the RB who was white, a black CB who was their best player & their 2 strikers with no 10 a black player & no 9 probably serbian, croatian.

Overall they were very gracious in defeat with their management team especially receptive, they had about 20 people watching them

Shoots
Junior Team Sub

Mar 4, 2013, 8:15 PM

Post #29 of 41 (3380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] London Sunday Intermediate Cup 2012-2013 [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To
How has your league been since the two best teams (Fulham United and Pearscroft United) departed it? Has it diminished the quality of the league? Pearscroft have got off to a flying start in Saturday football: The league is being dominated at the min by West London Select, who have won all there games except 1 defeat, which was to us btw. Although they gained revenge last weekend by battering us 7-3, which i missed through illness. Southern Cross are made up of Pearscoft A & B players so are a difficult team. A new team FC Selchp are very good, the best team we have played this season, they beat us 4-2 in our league cup. The other 7 teams are pretty decent with only possibly the Ship being the only weak team. We started the season terribly, we had a completely diferent set of players to what we have now but them early losses have cost us any hope of our own league especially with West London Select winning every week. I saw someone suggested that Faithfold should have been competing in the challenge cup instead of the inter. Are they on par or better than Cetinkaya?

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 5, 2013, 9:22 AM

Post #30 of 41 (3365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] London Sunday Intermediate Cup 2012-2013 [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To
HughesVideo, I will defer to you in most cases regarding the quality of Edmonton Rovers' opponents since you were actually at those games and I was not. I accept that edited YouTube highlights might also give an unrealistic impression of a match.

I just find it very hard to imagine Dees or LML Reserves being as good as Yavruvatan for example. Yavruvatan got to the Intermediate Cup final (where they lost to an exceptional Clapton Rangers team), and a couple of seasons before that, were also knocked out by the Intermediate Cup winners Albion Manor (who if we recall stopped Aris' 4 year consecutive undefeated and winning streak as 4 time Intermediate/Challenge cup winners). Can a team defeated in a close contest by probably one of the top 5 sides in London (at the time) really be on a par with LML and Dees Reserves?

I thought Nacional de Londres looked very good going forward. They had some skillful players
(but I agree with you that they did not look so good at the back). Even you admitted that your game against a weakened Albion Manor "was not a close game" and that them winning only 1-0 was because "Albion Manor missed loads of chances". Even as weakened as they were, they were knocked out on penalties AET by a Turkish team that got to the semi-final. Can Dees and LML really be as good as them?

Point taken about A Small World and Kensington Athletic (I think our efforts got them put back in the Junior Cup where they should be!). LOL at "
A Small World were the worst team we have ever played in our 36-year history"! Laugh

First of all, we fielded a much weaker side against Albion Manor than we did in all five of our London Sunday Junior Cup matches this season, so that needs to be taken into consideration.

Regarding Yavruvatan, it's interesting to note that they are now bottom of the second division in the TCFF. I suspect their quality non-Turkish attacking players left after that Intermediate Cup Final and their remaining players were all as ordinary as the defenders they fielded against us ?

Regarding London Maccabi Lions 'B', maybe the Maccabi League is not as weak as some people on this Forum are suggesting (which doesn't include me by the way). Don't forget, Faithfold are now through to the Sunday Intermediate Cup Final.
OK, they are the top team in the Premier Division, but London Maccabi Lions 'B' are clearly the best team in the next division down and they will be in the Premier Division themselves next season.
In my experience, teams who win a division and get promoted into a top division in any Sunday League invariably finish at least in mid-table the following season...and that to me would prove that London Maccabi Lions 'B' are well above London Sunday Junior Cup standard.

Regarding A Small World, they had 'Johnny Vegas' and 'Adrian Mole' playing for them ! Yes, a bloke wearing glasses...and not Edgar Davids'-style protective glasses, but ordinary spectacles. Good bunch of lads, but typical of the sort of Sunday teams in London that normally wouldn't dare think of entering LFA Sunday Cup competitions. They only lasted a couple of seasons before folding up. That's the problem with competitive Sunday football in London nowadays. The standard is so good that it's not easy for 'anybody' to have a run-out just for fun.
If this link works, you can see a picture of Vegas & Mole here (wearing orange): http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk/...ges/930d573792d7.jpg

London Harrier
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 31, 2013, 3:47 AM

Post #31 of 41 (3280 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Congratulations to Shoots & Leaves. Good luck in the final against Faithfold of the Maccabi Jewish League (final at Wingate & Finchley FC). They beat Convoys 3-2 AET (there is more than one team called Convoys, but this is the team from the Metropolitan Sunday League). How was your game against Cetinkaya? How good were they? Not sure what they are doing in the Intermediate Cup (they won the Junior Cup in 2009 too). They should be in the Challenge Cup.

BTW, you beating Cetinkaya prevented an all community leagues cup final. Had they won, it would have been teams from the Cypriot and Jewish leagues in the final. We currently have a situation where all three LFA Sunday Cups could be won by teams from the Cypriot, Turkish and Jewish Leagues. Incredible when you think about it - since the teams in those leagues have a much smaller pool of the population to recruit players, since players must be of a certain ethnicity. Yet teams who are free to pick players from Mars do not do as well as them in LFA Cups!

How has your league been since the two best teams (Fulham United and Pearscroft United) departed it? Has it diminished the quality of the league? Pearscroft have got off to a flying start in Saturday football:
http://nonleaguematters.co.uk/...;;page=unread#unread

Iím on the gate for the final. I suspect Faithfold will have a decent following on the day.

Does anyone know what level this game might equate to in the NLS (Step 7?)

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 31, 2013, 6:57 PM

Post #32 of 41 (3268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] London Sunday Intermediate Cup 2012-2013 [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

Iím on the gate for the final. I suspect Faithfold will have a decent following on the day.

Does anyone know what level this game might equate to in the NLS (Step 7?)

In my opinion, the playing standard in the Finals of the London FA Sunday Cup competitions are generally...
Sunday Challenge Cup...Step 4 !
Sunday Intermediate Cup...Step 5
Sunday Junior Cup...Step 6

In rounds prior to the Quarter-Finals of each competition, the general standard would be...
Sunday Challenge Cup...Step 5/6
Sunday Intermediate Cup...Step 6/7
Sunday Junior Cup...Below Step 7

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 1, 2013, 5:31 PM

Post #33 of 41 (3254 views)
Shortcut

I agree with HughesVideo. The Challenge Cup is pretty much step 4-5 standard from the beginning. The Intermediate Cup is that standard generally from the quarter final stage onwards.

Rarely does a team reach the latter stages of an LFA Cup without several step 3-5 players. Most teams in the Challenge Cup would hold their own in the Ryman Premier or division 1.

Shoots
Junior Team Sub

Apr 2, 2013, 10:35 PM

Post #34 of 41 (3233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] London Sunday Intermediate Cup 2012-2013 [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

Do you know how much they are charging on the day?

Steve
We only have one player who plays in the "steps", he plays for Bedfont Town, not even sure what level they would be classed as.

London Harrier
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 3, 2013, 7:11 AM

Post #35 of 41 (3226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shoots] London Sunday Intermediate Cup 2012-2013 [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Do you know how much they are charging on the day?

Steve
We only have one player who plays in the "steps", he plays for Bedfont Town, not even sure what level they would be classed as.

No idea to be honest. Whatever the cost, it will be set by the London FA, not by Wingate & Finchley.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 3, 2013, 3:09 PM

Post #36 of 41 (3213 views)
Shortcut

Shoots. That is VERY rare (for a team to get to an LFA final without several step 4-5 players). e.g. the current Intermediate Cup holders Yalova are full of Saturday step 4-5 players. Someone who played against them last season described them as "basically a well drilled Saturday team" in disguise. One of their players is the captain of Waltham Forest FC in the Ryman League! (step 4)

The LFA Sunday Challenge Cup is of an exceptionally high standard. I still stand by what I said earlier: 80% of teams in this year's Challenge Cup would hold their own in any step 4-5 league.

Faithfold's league (Maccabi Sunday League) has many players who play on Saturdays in the Spartan South Midlands League (step 5-6).

Bedfont Town's league is a feeder to the Surrey Intermediate League (step 7b).

(This post was edited by stevegraze on Apr 3, 2013, 3:10 PM)

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 3, 2013, 10:38 PM

Post #37 of 41 (3200 views)
Shortcut

Shoots...surely your team has a few players who used to play at Step 3-7 level on Saturdays though ?

What I find in the higher levels of Sunday League football in the London area is that sort of thing is more the case than there being loads of teams packed with current Step 3-7 players (as Stevegraze is saying).

As far as I am concerned, Sunday League teams with at least five or six former Step 3-7 players can be just as good, if not better than teams with five or six current Step 3-7 players as long as they have kept their fitness levels up...which they invariably do nowadays.
I say better because the former Step 3-7 players playing Sunday football are normally in their late-20's and early-30's and have plenty of experience whereas most current Step 3-7 players playing Sunday football are just out of College/Uni/Pro Club Academies.

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 4, 2013, 10:16 AM

Post #38 of 41 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Is there really enough money in Sunday football in London for all these Step 3/4/5 players?

I know here in Devon & Cornwall the vast majority of Sunday football is very much "pub league" apart from when a few people in Plymouth put together a team of Peninsula League players by flashing a little cash.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 4, 2013, 11:34 AM

Post #39 of 41 (3183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] London Sunday Intermediate Cup 2012-2013 [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Is there really enough money in Sunday football in London for all these Step 3/4/5 players?

I know here in Devon & Cornwall the vast majority of Sunday football is very much "pub league" apart from when a few people in Plymouth put together a team of Peninsula League players by flashing a little cash.

In general in the London area, players don't get paid for playing Sunday League football (apart from some who play for the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Community clubs).
Generally, Step 3-5 players play Sunday football to get in some game time after being sub the day before or just for the enjoyment of the game playing with their mates from work/school/college or whatever.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 4, 2013, 3:42 PM

Post #40 of 41 (3176 views)
Shortcut

The crossover of Saturday pyramid players into Sunday football occurs usually in two ways:

1) Some Saturday pyramid teams also have a Sunday team too: like London Bari of the Essex Senior League (step 5), London Maccabi Lions of the Spartan South Midlands League (step 5) and Sevenacre & Sidcup of the Kent Invicta League (step 6). Hence some players rotate between their club's Saturday and Sunday leagues.

2) Often there are "links" between some Saturday and Sunday teams. e.g. a group of mates from a Saturday pyramid club often get together and play in a Sunday league too. Or there could be another link between a Saturday and Sunday club. e.g. Haringery Borough FC's Saturday coach is also the coach of Sunday team New Salamis. Hence no surprise that many New Salamis players are from Haringey Borough. HughesVideo has mentioned before that FA Sunday Cup semi-finalists Upshire have many current/former Waltham Abbey FC players. In recent seasons, Clapton Rangers have fielded about 10-12 players from Waltham forest FC. Former FA Sunday Cup winners Hetton Lyons were basically a glorified Sunday team for Norhern League champs Spennymoor FC. I believe Spennymoor's chairman was also the manager of Hetton, so not much surprise at the crossover of players between both clubs.

If you read this season's LFA Sunday Challenge Cup thread, you will see an amazing variety of players playing Saturday step 2-7 pyramid and Sunday football across the southeast in leagues ranging from the Conference, to the Southern League, Ryman League, Sussex County League, Essex Senior League, Spartan South Midlands League etc.
http://nonleaguematters.co.uk/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

What I find in the higher levels of Sunday League football in the London area is that sort of thing is more the case than there being loads of teams packed with current Step 3-7 players (as Stevegraze is saying).

As far as I am concerned, Sunday League teams with at least five or six former Step 3-7 players can be just as good, if not better than teams with five or six current Step 3-7 players as long as they have kept their fitness levels up...which they invariably do nowadays.
I say better because the former Step 3-7 players playing Sunday football are normally in their late-20's and early-30's and have plenty of experience whereas most current Step 3-7 players playing Sunday football are just out of College/Uni/Pro Club Academies.

Shoots
Junior Team Sub

Apr 6, 2013, 2:04 AM

Post #41 of 41 (3111 views)
Shortcut

This might be a bit cheeky but does anybody know anything about the player quality of our opponents Faithfold.

They have a couple of youtube posts and the two players that stand out (from the clips) are their left winger, wears no.7 and their bald headed striker.

Has anybody on this forum played against them and are there only pointers you could give.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3