Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Sports presenters mistakes

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2013, 11:01 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #276 of 1107 (36547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Barcelona have twice come back to win (on penalties) after a 3-0 defeat. They did this against Ipswich Town and Gothenburg.
Ipswich was in the UEFA or Cup Winners Cup, but Gothenburg was in the European Cup Semi-Final of 1986. A substitute called Pichi Alonso got all 3 goals.
Never heard of him before or since.
I think Real Madrid came back from 4-1 down against Derby in the 1975-6 European Cup. Think it was 5-1 in the Bernabeu.
Coming back from 2-0 down is not the same as coming back from say 3-1 down when you have the option of winning on away goals.
What were the details of BATE Borisov's comeback?

Haven't got a clue mate, it is Leo's post that mentioned it I only quoted him.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

leohoenig
Administrator

Mar 14, 2013, 10:18 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #277 of 1107 (36530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2007-8 Champions League (1st qualifying round).
APOEL 2-0 BATE
BATE 3-0 APOEL (aet)

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 14, 2013, 11:01 AM

Post #278 of 1107 (36526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
APOEL 2-0 BATE
BATE 3-0 APOEL (aet)

Cheers Leo, but (tongue firmly in cheek from here) you see where the problem with this stat is, it's qualifying which (to the media anyway) doesn't count either.Wink

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Mar 14, 2013, 1:17 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #279 of 1107 (36511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
APOEL 2-0 BATE
BATE 3-0 APOEL (aet)

Cheers Leo, but (tongue firmly in cheek from here) you see where the problem with this stat is, it's qualifying which (to the media anyway) doesn't count either.Wink

and it's not after 90 minutes either.

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 14, 2013, 7:23 PM

Team(s): None

Post #280 of 1107 (36485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not the Champions League but in the 1980's I saw QPR play Partizan Belgrade at Arsenal in the UEFA Cup, they won 6-2 but still managed to go out on away goals as they lost 4-0 in Yugoslavia. I think this is the biggest comeback in European competitions.
Another big comeback was Hearts 3 Bologna 0 followed by Bologna 4 Hearts 0. I think that was also the UEFA Cup.
Lierse SK were probably the only side to come back from a 2-0 deficit from the home leg. They went to Elland Road and won 4-0. Don Revie put the reserves out in the second leg. Arsenal nearly repeated the feat yesterday.

jrev61

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 14, 2013, 8:01 PM

Post #281 of 1107 (36482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Inter v Spurs is currently in et with the Italians leading 3-0 on the night!

(This post was edited by blackdouglas on Mar 14, 2013, 8:05 PM)

UKPunk

Mar 14, 2013, 9:50 PM

Post #282 of 1107 (36468 views)
Shortcut

Bloody Spurs!! They'll be the death of me. Unsure

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 15, 2013, 12:06 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #283 of 1107 (36451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cup Winners' Cup 1961-2

1 Le Chaux-de-Fonds 6-2 Leixoes
2 Leixoes 5-0 Le Chaux-de-Fonds

That's pretty impressive in my book.

Punky, away goals never killed anybody... Tongue

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

cope1

Mar 15, 2013, 9:47 AM

Post #284 of 1107 (36437 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

As a gooner I think it is high time we got rid of the away goals rule... ;)

UKPunk

Mar 15, 2013, 11:37 AM

Post #285 of 1107 (36430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Punky, away goals never killed anybody... Tongue

Last night my heart told me it was possible it could happen. Unsure

UKPunk

Mar 15, 2013, 11:40 AM

Post #286 of 1107 (36428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

As a gooner I think it is high time we got rid of the away goals rule... ;)

Be patient Andy, you'll have your fun. I'm amazed we've got this far so I'm under no illusions that we can actually win this thing. Crazy

I'm just hoping we can avoid Chelsea and Newcastle.

EDIT
We've been drawn at home to Basel. I'd have preferred the first leg away but I'm happy with that.

(This post was edited by UKPunk on Mar 15, 2013, 11:58 AM)

cope1

Apr 9, 2013, 11:11 PM

Post #287 of 1107 (36182 views)
Shortcut

According to BBC Sport in relation to Dortmund's win tonight:

"It was the first time a team needing to score two extra-time goals to triumph in the Champions League has done so since Manchester United in the 1999 final"

Why do some people find it so difficult to understand the difference between 'injury' or 'stoppage' time and 'extra' time?

jon b
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2013, 7:19 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #288 of 1107 (36168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Alistair Mann deep into the second half of Newcastle Utd v Fulham last Sunday: "Cisse isn't going to score today".

Oh, yeah?! Crazy

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 10, 2013, 3:15 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #289 of 1107 (36146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Jeff Stelling on Saturday: "East Stirling look to be in real danger at the bottom of the Scottish third division."

In danger of what?

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Apr 10, 2013, 8:47 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #290 of 1107 (36127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

To be fair to Jeff, I think he does a better job than most with info coming in left, right and centre and the likes of Matt Le Tiss screaming away in the background. Sure, there's a few bloopers along the way, but fewer than you might expect.

What I do NOT and will NEVER forgive Sky is employing that utter gobshite and spawn of the devil Chris Kamara. But then you would need to be a Bees fan to understand the depth of animosity Bees fans feel towards that whoreson turncoat lickspittle.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 10, 2013, 9:52 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #291 of 1107 (36120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chris Kamara is a legend in Bradford. He took us to Wembley for the first (and until this year the only) time, and turned a team that was going nowhere into a promoted team within a few months. He played and managed with his heart on his sleeve, and we loved him for it. Why the animosity?

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Apr 10, 2013, 11:04 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #292 of 1107 (36111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Chris Kamara is a legend in Bradford. He took us to Wembley for the first (and until this year the only) time, and turned a team that was going nowhere into a promoted team within a few months. He played and managed with his heart on his sleeve, and we loved him for it. Why the animosity?

In Reply To
I know... you need to be a Bees fan to understand. Chris Kamara was part of the dream Brentford midfield (we've had dream defences, dream attacks and dream midfields, but sadly never all at the same time) of the early 80s of Kamara, Stan Bowles and Terry Hurlock. Think about for a minute and you'll see what a stunning midfield that was (respectively, that'd be realism, fantasy, and brute force) in the context of a third division side... as good as most in the country. Sadly, the rest of the bunch were fairly ordinary.

Anyway, Chris spent the best part of 5 seasons at the club, and was a universally well respected and well treated player.Then he left, then he went into the media, since when he has never wasted an opportunity to pour scorn on the club. Our view has been... well, if that's the way you want to play it...

Kamara in his role as a pundit has had many opportunities to spout his bile. However, he has only rarely returned to GP. To illustrate that it is not just me, but widely felt, a few years ago Sky were covering an FA Cup match and Chris was to be the expert summariser. Facilities at Griffin Park for TV commentary are rather rudimentary (a bit of scaffolding, and a ladder to climb up). So the TV gantry (ie scaffold) was just above me. Chris had just got himself settled down. Little old lady next to me (you know the sort, early 60s, marmite sandwiches, flask of tea, hubby in tow) started waving and shouting "Coo-ee, Chris... coo-eee....", at which point Kamara deigned to look down, smile on his face, probably expecting some kind words, only to be met by little old lady transformed into a figure of hate, shouting "Why do you f***ing hate us so much, you...." well I won't carry on, suffice it to say that (a) she continued with a diatribe involving words you would not expect to hear from an upstanding matron in her 60s with a hot flask in her hands and (b) her words were drowned out by an even ruder (if that was possible) chant from the neighbours in an otherwise Bovril-drinking, programme-reading part of the ground.

So, no, we don't like him because he doesn't like us.

cope1

Apr 11, 2013, 4:46 PM

Post #293 of 1107 (36083 views)
Shortcut

Oi, why has no one else been incensed by the extra-time/injury-time thing???

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Apr 11, 2013, 8:37 PM

Post #294 of 1107 (36073 views)
Shortcut

I might be, but I was then sidetracked by reminders of Chris Kamara (my own fault, admittedly...), which trumped it.

On a further sidetrack, is it just me who is annoyed when Shrewsbury is pronounced as if there were a small furry animal involved? I'm sure someone will tell me that that is an acceptable alternative pronunciation, but I don't care. It still annoys me.

UKPunk

Apr 11, 2013, 11:31 PM

Post #295 of 1107 (36059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
On a further sidetrack, is it just me who is annoyed when Shrewsbury is pronounced as if there were a small furry animal involved?

It doesn't annoy me but I do agree with you re:the pronunciation.

dottirofhod

Apr 12, 2013, 12:42 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #296 of 1107 (36053 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
is it just me who is annoyed when Shrewsbury is pronounced as if there were a small furry animal involved?

I thought ''Taming of the Shrow' was one of Billys best !

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 67 / 57 / 10 / inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 16 / 09 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3(Act 4- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

cope1

Apr 12, 2013, 3:25 PM

Post #297 of 1107 (36016 views)
Shortcut

But Shroosbury is just as correct as Shrowesbury!

kazy
Junior Team Star

Apr 12, 2013, 10:25 PM

Post #298 of 1107 (35989 views)
Shortcut

Many local people say Shoesbury, without an initial 'r'.

Richard Rundle

Apr 14, 2013, 11:06 AM

Post #299 of 1107 (35944 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
On a further sidetrack, is it just me who is annoyed when Shrewsbury is pronounced as if there were a small furry animal involved? I'm sure someone will tell me that that is an acceptable alternative pronunciation, but I don't care. It still annoys me.

I always called it Shrows (to rhyme with throws) bury, until I met a local who called it Shrews (to rhyme with lose) bury which I've used ever since as I assumed that if a local says it that way, that's the correct way.

Same with Southwell (Suthall and South-well)

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 14, 2013, 2:41 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #300 of 1107 (35933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I always though that there was no mid-word "w" in the Nottinghamshire, hence as well as Suth'all (Southwell), we have Blid'urth and Rain'urth

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3