Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Sep 20, 2012, 9:34 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #126 of 399 (24471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A quick resume of where i have been recently.

1. 31st August Lakeside 41 v Poole 48 Met up with Bagman at this meeting.
2. 1st September Eastbourne 61 v Belle Vue 29 Elite League. Eastbourne ran out easy winners against a poor Belle Vue team.
3. 10th September Lakeside 47 v Coventry 43 Elite League Lakeside won a close meeting but dropped a point in the chase for Play Off Places.
4. 14th September Lakeside 50 v Peterborough 42 Elite League Lakeside finished their regular season meetings with a win that eventually saw them qualify for the play offs due Peterborough failing to get anything from their meetings this week. This meeting saw Ryan Sullivan second meeting for Peterborough having agreed to ride in place of the Injured Kenneth Bjeere. Unfortunately Sullivan was injued at Belle Vue on Monday.
5. 15th September Rye House 52 v 39 Scunthorpe National League Rye House eventually won this match but results this week meant neither team qualified for the National League Play Offs with the Isle of Wight grabbing the last place after winning at Kings Lynn this week. Match Referee had an excellent meeting.Wink
6. 17th September Birmingham 43 v 47 Poole Elite League. Birmingham needed just 1 point from either this match or Wednesdays v Swindon to qualify for the Elite League Play Offs but managed to lose both, however Peterborough also failed to gain a point and so Birmingham qualified. They started this match poorly being 8 points behind after 2 heats but fought back to lead after 10 heats, however Poole's top 3 riders ensured they won and finished top of the regular season League Table.

mip
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 23, 2012, 12:15 AM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #127 of 399 (24428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nordic Speedway Grand Prix @Vojens Admission DKK350 (£39), programme DKK80 (£9), coffee and sausage DKK45, att. 16,788.

What a great meeting with some very good racing and the most amazing outcome. 20 years old Danish talent and wild card rider Michael Jepsen Jensen squeezed into the semi final with the slimmest of margins on 7 points, missed the start in the semi final completely going into the first bend 4th but fighting back to finish 2nd and outpacing Nicki Pedersen on the final lap in the final for a very popular win. Emil Sayfutdinov finished 3rd and Jason Crump 4th.

This will be the last Grand Prix at Vojens for some time as the track lacks in facilities. Thereís a low and shallow covered stand on the goal line side and for the meeting tonight, a temporary stand had been erected on the opposite site. In all Iíd guess seats for around 3,000 spectators (at most). The remainder of the crowd uses the shallow grass bank around the oval. Very good atmosphere tonight.

After a few meetings (inspired to go by reading reports on this forum), Iím hooked on this sport. Iíll try to get to a couple of meetings in Sweden and Poland next year as well as getting in some more Danish tracks.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 7, 2012, 1:29 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #128 of 399 (24218 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I didn't go, but have just watched the final GP of the year from Torun where Chris Holder clinched the world title which delighted me. For once, however, I did feel a pang of sympathy for his main rival Nicki Pedersen when Holder took him out in the semi and was allowed back in the re-run. An exclusion for Holder would have given Pedersen a golden chance to win the title, though I don't think he had the speed on the night to do so but.......had the roles been reversed, would Pedersen have been excluded......?

Note to self : get Torun in the diary sometime; it looks a belter of a stadium.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Apr 7, 2013, 5:10 PM

Post #129 of 399 (22641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 5th April 2013 Lakeside 43 v 47 Swindon Elite League Admission £17 Prog £2.50 Att 700 Est

First meeting of the season at Lakeside, Bagman Junior wasdown as the ref but did not see Bagman. Freezing cold night, the attendance seemed to reflect this. Despite it being advertised as 8.00pm start thefirst heat was 8.10pm and took 2 hours to run not helped due to a starting gate problem that took a good 30 minutes to deal with. Swindon took an early lead which they never looked like surrending, could be a long season for Lakeside. Prog still 2.50 but still poor.

Saturday 6th April 2013 Leicester 52 v 38 Scunthorpe Premier League Cup Admission £15 Prog £3 Att 800 Est

Having been to Coventry v Brentford i trundled over to see my second fixture at Leicester this season, despite the track being altered during the off season the racing is still not that great but there were a couple of decent overtakes, meeting was close for 10 heats but Leicester pulled away at the end for a comfortable win. After this we had a 6 heat junior match between Leicester 16 v 20 Coventry MDL KO Cup.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Apr 21, 2013, 8:22 PM

Post #130 of 399 (22541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 20th April 2013 Rye House 63 v 26 Glasgow Premier League KO Cup Admission £16 Prog £2 (Not worth it) Att 400 Est. Sausage & Chips £3.40 Coffee £1.

After the football is was across to Rye House who easily beat a poor Glasgow by 37 points. Apparantly 400 is average here at the moment. Score should have been a bit bigger but Glasgow got a surprisse 5-1 in the last heat. Second meeting i have been to with Bagman Junior as the referee, though he hardly had any tough decisions to make. And it was rather cold at the end.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Apr 26, 2013, 2:26 PM

Post #131 of 399 (22490 views)
Shortcut

Two matches this week instead of football.

1. Lakeside 53 v 39 Kings Lynn Elite League Admission £17 Prog £2.50 Att 600 Odd

If Lakeside are wondering why they are getting some low crowds,then charging £17 and using the programme for the rained off meeting with Birmingham with an insert and charging £2.50 for it, all for a Live TV meeting will probably answer it.

Kings Lynn have had a good start to the season but failed to impress against Lakeside who ran out easy winners with veteran Peter Karlsson amassing 12 points for the home team.

2. Redcar 48 v 42 Newcastle Premier League Cup Admission £15 Prog £2 Att 750 Est Coffee £1.10 Sausage & Chips £3.50

Had a choice of here or the British Semi Final at Sheffield and at 7.30pm thought i had made the wrong choice as track work was still on going due to rain earlier in the day, we eventually got going at about 8.30pm. Not many passes due tothe work,though the track was perfectly raceable.Micky Dyer of Redcar being the star of the show but the Redcar manager made an error in heat 14 when he missed the chance to bring in Dyer as a reserve change and as a result they conceded a 5-1,followed by another 5-1 in heat 15 meant Newcastle nicked a point at the end. Despite the late start the meeting was completed in 90 minutes thanks to the efforts of the riders and the referee Chris Gay who came upfromSouthend for this meeting.

Back in Scunthorpe for midnight.

TheLinnet
Youth Team Sub

Apr 28, 2013, 11:51 AM

Team(s): Ruislip Manor(RIP), Middlesex C.C.C. King's Lynn Stars

Post #132 of 399 (22458 views)
Shortcut
Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 28th April

National League

Going to Mildenhall v Coventry Storm this afternoon, my first meeting of the season 4:30pm

WE ATE'NT DEAD (with acknowledgement to the late great Terry Pratchett)
Last new ground (Football) - Emirates Stadium
Last new ground (Cricket) - Trent Bridge
Last new track (Speedway) - Buxton

PaulC

May 21, 2013, 9:20 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #133 of 399 (21360 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheLinnet] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What a Premier League cracker on $ky Sports. Good crowd, fast track, good racing and plenty of controversy . A final heat decider.

Barwick Bandits 41-49 Newcastle Diamonds

dottirofhod

May 23, 2013, 4:44 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #134 of 399 (21305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
What a Premier League cracker on $ky Sports. Good crowd, fast track, good racing and plenty of controversy . A final heat decider.

Barwick Bandits 41-49 Newcastle Diamonds

Saw a tape of it , was amazed that cheating is now allowed.
Was it race 11 when a Berwick rider at the back facing a 1-5 deliberately laid his bike down and got a rerun minus himself of course , which ended in a 3-3. Ref bottled that one.
Cracking action though.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

bagman

May 27, 2013, 11:43 AM

Post #135 of 399 (21219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Monday 13th May 2013

Kent Kings 22 v 44 Isle of Wight Islanders

Match abandon after 11 heats result stands

My first visit to this stadium for speedway, saw Burgesshillbee & Hensfield Bee

buncranaboy

May 28, 2013, 1:51 AM

Post #136 of 399 (21182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Monday 25th May - Premier League : Scunthorpe Scorpions 37 Somerset Rebels 56. Admission £16; Programme £1. Attendance 550 (hc)

A glorious day in Lincolnshire with a clear run via grumpydwarf taxis enabling pre-race ticks at The George Hogg in Winterton and a strange visit to the Ferry Bridge Inn at Burton Stather in an idyllic location on the banks of the Trent. The dithery woman serving in the almost deserted pub (why - on a day like today?) mumbled "you'll have to see my husband about beer" after we noticed that the only hand-pump was turned the wrong way and we were about to exit when yer man duly appeared and took us into a side room where he had 8 ales on cask and appeared to be the only one enjoying his own beer festival. A decent pint nonetheless and a shame it wasn't better supported although lots of broken glass up by the tables on the embankment suggested the previous nights excitement hadn't yet been tidied up and maybe nobody else had resurfaced yet!
The track is a couple of miles north of Scunthorpe and is reasonable for one at this level. Most facilities are along one side with two covered terraces flanking an open seated stand with more open terracing at the first bend. The rest is flat standing with a portakabin bar at the far end and a good cafe on bend one where a huge and excellent home made pie/peas/chips & gravy was £4.50. Unlike Plymouth last week, this is a fast wide track with many opportunities to make passes and generally the racing was very good. At 3-15 after three heats it didn't look good for the homesters but by heat 8 they led 26-25. That was as good as it got as Somerset upped their game and clinched victory in heat 13 when they overturned what was a 5-1 at one stage into a 1-5 of their own. The idiosyncratic announcer apologised for Scunthorpe being crap and he was very entertaining all afternoon, if a little dejected. Ashley Birks (12+1) top scored for Scunny while the Rebels scored consistently with Jason Doyle top-scoring with 10+2.
There was a second (challenge) meeting between Scunthorpe Saints and MK Knights but we headed back to get grumpy junior his tea.

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

May 28, 2013, 4:32 PM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #137 of 399 (21145 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Monday 25th May - Premier League : Scunthorpe Scorpions 37 Somerset Rebels 56. Admission £16; Programme £1. Attendance 550 (hc)

The idiosyncratic announcer apologised for Scunthorpe being crap and he was very entertaining all afternoon, if a little dejected.

The announcer in question is actually Rob Godfrey aka Scunny promoter. Anyway onwards..............
Monday 25th May - National League : Kent Kings 42 Fen Tigers 48. Admission £12; Programme £2. Attendance c 2,000.

Refusing to take in the first meeting at Central Park against the American Internationals; a side containing just 2 Americans and no internationals, I chose their second bank holiday fixture to visit the countryís newest track.

With the local Sittingbourne track at Iwade some 5 miles away recording an attendance of 14 during its time in this division and seeing very low attendances on here from higher level matches they seem to be getting some of the biggest crowds in the sport. I know novelty is an issue but having proper facilities must help. A huge seated stand with excellent views of the whole arena is a definite bonus.

This being speedway there were some negatives on the day, the length of the meeting being the usual pain, but hopefully improvements will happen and the positives of this venue will be promoted and negatives got rid of.

Much has been made, by the keyboard warriors on the speedway forum, of the regular 6.30 start time. The anti brigade all seem to live miles away but I reckon the locals could really appreciate the early finish and that is always one thing never considered by those who may only go once. This start time could be the way forward for many tracks.

Although I wonít go every week, I can put my foot down and get there in an hour from London so look forward to future visits even with the earlier start time.

buncranaboy

May 29, 2013, 12:11 AM

Post #138 of 399 (21120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Going on Saturday to the British GP at the Milennium Stadium and really looking forward to it. Only been to one final before and that was back in 1981 when Bruce Penhall won at Wembley in front of 92,500 and delighted all the Cradley Heathens fans present.
A crowd half that size would be decent on Saturday but the possibility of a home win with the flying Tai Woffinden in unbelievable form should add a few to the gate.

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

May 29, 2013, 12:07 PM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #139 of 399 (21082 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Going on Saturday to the British GP at the Milennium Stadium and really looking forward to it. Only been to one final before and that was back in 1981 when Bruce Penhall won at Wembley in front of 92,500 and delighted all the Cradley Heathens fans present.
A crowd half that size would be decent on Saturday but the possibility of a home win with the flying Tai Woffinden in unbelievable form should add a few to the gate.

Also doing this. Missed last year owing to it clashing with Mid Wales Hop but always worth doing, and Iíve been to all the rest. Sadly hotels cash in big time (£200 for one night quoted to me) and while around 30 of us used to make a weekend of it, we are down to around 10, most of whom are just going for the day. As has been pointed out though most of those cashing in are multi nationals while the Welsh Tourist Board are one of the major event sponsors. Can't blame the locals. Having lived through the London Olympics, the same happened here.

It also shows how much domestic speedway hasn't kept up with the times when you see events like this taking it to another level, although some of the music makes me sigh. Why people need to do the effing Hokey Cokey at a speedway event I have no idea.

Looking at the field any one of them could make the final. Should be a brilliant night.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2013, 12:34 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #140 of 399 (21078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
some of the music makes me sigh. Why people need to do the effing Hokey Cokey at a speedway event I have no idea.

Most music at sporting events makes me sigh. Why is it necessary? If the sport can't entertain people enough without music there must be something wrong with the sport. At the test match in Leeds on Saturday music was played during drinks breaks. Why? Were they afraid everyone would get bored and leave during the five minute break?

The Moose
First Team Star

May 30, 2013, 9:50 PM

Team(s):

Post #141 of 399 (20954 views)
Shortcut

I was also at the 1981 last ever Wembley world speedway final which now has fantastic memories. Some great overtaking by Mr. Penhall who beyond 82 & winning it again in LA decided to take his blue eyes to Hollywood. Dudley Wood housed a great team back in the day with Erik Gunderson as well so worthy champions. Twin towers, steep terracing behind the goals before all seater stadia, shale action not just footy ooooooh the nostalgia! Yes I am getting old Tongue

KRTM Cool

Red Robbo
First Team Star

Jun 1, 2013, 12:48 PM

Team(s): Local football in Herts and Beds

Post #142 of 399 (20922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was also at Wembley in 1981, have never been to Cardiff though but maybe one dayWink

My speedway for this weekend will be;

Mildenhall Fen Tigers v Buxton Hitmen (National Trophy)

Visted KENT KINGS on bank holiday Monday, impressive venue, good support, well organised. Once the track has settled should see some good racing as well. Will hopefully go back later in the season but Monday at 6.30pm will make if difficult for me.

I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row.

Games seen in 2016/17: 54
Goals : 214
Goal less draws: 0

acmold

Jun 1, 2013, 6:34 PM

Post #143 of 399 (20916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or

Watching it now one of the commentators in the studio (not really a studio) does a good impression of Youngster.

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 1, 2013, 10:25 PM

Team(s): Man City,Oldham Ath, Runcorn, South liverpool now non league traveller.

Post #144 of 399 (20902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The best speedway long weekend I have had, in 81, Hackney v Belle Vue Friday, World Final Wembley Sat and Rye House v Belle Vue Sun.

buncranaboy

Jun 3, 2013, 2:01 PM

Post #145 of 399 (20856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hoppy] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

British GP at the Millennium Stadium. Admission £38; Programme £10. Attendance 38,760

First time at this for me and all in all it was a positive experience. The track was lousy and caused one or two to give up the ghost while chasing as well as catapulting Freddy Lindgren from his bike in the final when he hit a hole but there were a number of really good heats with aggressive riding from Kasprzak and Lindgren providing the highlights as well as a thriller involving Chris Harris where he held on for an unlikely heat victory. Home favourite Tai Woffinden came a cropper in his 4th outing when Lindgren was (harshly in my view) disqualified for an over-zealous inside manouevre which caused Woffy to smash into Pedersen (again!) and hit the track hard where he broke his collarbone. The re-run final, without Lindgen, was another thriller with Sayfutdinov just holding off Kasprzak (who broke the track record tonight) with Iversen ultimately nipping in for second place and become top scorer on the night.
It was a beautiful day in Cardiff and the atmosphere was festival-like. I parked up at Cwmbran Station and caught the train in for £8 return which was a good move to avoid Cardiff's notoriously difficult parking and access. Pre-match supping away from the madding crowds at the Mochyn Du by the entrance to Sophia Gardens. The stadium capacity for speedway is 62,500 so a crowd under 40,000 was easily managed with short queueing for beer, most of which was consumed by Poles. Food didn't enter the equation after the 3-sausage torpedo in the cafe at Cwmbran Station; excellent soakage.
Meeting ended about 8.15, home before eleven.

footiemug
Youth Team Sub

Jun 4, 2013, 9:45 AM

Team(s): Eastbourne teams

Post #146 of 399 (20812 views)
Shortcut

Monday 4th June

Kent Kings 40 v Kings Lynn Young Stars 49
Admission £12
Prog.£2

Never seen so many riders coming off or bikes not running properly.Heat 2 The Kent rider Jack Kingston smashed through the barriers and didn't move for a good 10 mins.He was taken to hospital .

First time i have seen a meeting at this level.Very different to the Elite league.Had a good night out,but freezing sitting in the huge stand.

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Jun 9, 2013, 12:28 AM

Post #147 of 399 (20706 views)
Shortcut
Re: [footiemug] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

2013 Veteran Speedway Riders Open Championship
Lydd speedway, Belgar Farm, Kent
Admission by donation (£5 club membership fee suggested)
Programme £2. for 12 pages.
Attendance c200

Parc de Princes to Reedham Park, Qualcomm Arena San Diego to Shottermill and now Millennium Stadium Cardiff to Lydd provides my latest contrast in stadia sizes for consecutive sports events. Having partied in a 70,000+ all seater stadium in the centre of a major city one week ago I now find myself watching the same sport in the middle of a field, a mile from the nearest road.

A huge 43 races was a bit of a test even to a fanatic like me but I stayed until the last final. Although not recognised by the authorities a sprinkling of former league riders entered this contest at "pirate" track Lydd, which was completed by riders from some of the amateur competitions.

A nasty fall in heat 2 put track owner Malcolm Smith out after one lap, which was a shame as he looked like he knew how to really race on this track.

The two main 4 valve finals were won by ex league riders Dean Felton and Gary O'Hare with the former coming to grief on the last lap of he laydown final, although a little too far behind by then to have done the double. Ironically I saw Dean's final league meeting at Buxton at the end of last season when an early fall saw him retire from the professional game with a painful injury against the Isle of Wight. Fortunately his entry into veteran status ended with no more than sore pride. Had it been a normal timed meeting I would have taken in Eastbourne v Wolves on the way home but it wasn't to be.

Will hopefully see future matches there, and who knows may have a skid myself at some stage.

mip

Jun 26, 2013, 8:36 PM

Post #148 of 399 (16533 views)
Shortcut

Danish Speedway League
Grindsted v Outrup 45-38 Admission DKK100 (£11) (ticket from postponed meeting did the trick for me), programme/scorecard free, sausage, hotdog and coffee DKK60, att. 978.

At last I managed to see a meeting at Grindsted after two previous attempts were rained off. The sky was leaden today but as promised the rain kept off until just after the meeting which started half an hour late as two ambulances were called on duty on their way to the track. But it was worth the wait with some excellent racing, probably the best meeting Iíve been to yet with Martin Smolinski and Michael Jepsen Jensen starring for the home side. Smolinski was fabulous with 17 point in six heats, aggressive riding and several passes, the lost point was by no more than the width of a wheel as he challenged Kenneth Bjerre heavily on the finish straight.

The match was close, Outrup leading for much of it, but the score tied at both 18-18 and 27-27 before Grindsted went 39-32 in front with two heats remaining. In one of the crucial heats Lasse Bjerre lent too heavily on Kikkenborg to send both crashing and earning himself an exclusion much to his dismay with a few handbags thrown in on the way from the track. Penultimate heat was 5-1 Outrup setting up a thrilling last heat where the storyline of the evening was repeated, Kenneth Bjerre making the start but Martin Smolinski and Michael Jepsen Jensen both passing him for a 5-1 win. Excellent stuff!

(This post was edited by mip on Jun 26, 2013, 9:29 PM)

mip

Jun 30, 2013, 11:45 AM

Post #149 of 399 (16131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Danish Speedway Grand Prix @Parken Admission DKK530 (£59), programme DKK100, hot dog and coffee DKK67, att. 15,507.

I saw my first indoor football match earlier this year and have now seen an indoor speedway meeting. Didnít really feel right on either occasion although without a roof we might not have had a race at all with the amount of rain in the days leading up to the meeting and on Saturday. The track wasnít great and there were five crashes, four times riders likely hit holes in the track. Fredrik Lindgren crashed in his last heat before the semi final and broke an arm and in heat 3 a tussle between Zagar and Saifutdinov sent Sayfutdinov crashing and he was hit by Jonsson while on the ground. It didnít look good but Saifutdinov could carry on, Jonsson couldnít (fractured ribs and shoulder blade) and Zagar was, harshly, excluded from the restart. Jonsson's injury gave two local lads Peter Kildemand (Fjelsted) and Kenni Larsen (Munkebo) five rides between them and four points for their efforts was approved.

Indoor speedway somehow didnít feel right and throw in music at a ridiculously high volume and an exasperating speaker telling the crowd to cheer whenever he mentioned anyone Danish (thank you, I think people can cheer whenever thereís something to cheer about without being told so) and it wasnít the greatest of experiences. The disappointingly low crowd was probably due to ticket pricing, £59 was the second cheapest ticket, £83 and £100 in the categories above and thatís really pushing it I think. From a Danish point of view there wasnít much cheering to do tonight with no Danes making the semi finals. Some good racing in between with Darcy Ward a deserved winner after consistently good riding and holding off surprise Zagarís strong challenge in the final where Holder was third and Gollob, who had delighted the Polish contingent, fourth.

The best thing about Parken is its compactness with steeply raked stands and its central location but I donít like it and wonít be rushing back. Good day in all though.

buncranaboy

Jun 30, 2013, 3:34 PM

Post #150 of 399 (16104 views)
Shortcut

I watched the meeting on Eurosport Michael, and I thought it was pretty good - better than Cardiff at any rate. There appeared to be more than 15,000 there as one side looked to be full. The pricing you mention is crazy though - the equivalent in Cardiff was £38 but you could have paid up to £100 if you wanted to. TV boys were saying it's probably not going to happen at Parken next year as they'd rather have the Eurovision?
Zagar very unlucky to be excluded early but he rode like a man possessed thereafter and Ward was just different class. Shame for grumpy Nicki though Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3