Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Odd pub names...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

TheWavendonian
Youth Team Star

Jun 10, 2017, 2:13 PM

Team(s): Anywhere picturesque making good tea

Post #76 of 85 (1860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Odd pub names... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It looks like the sort of place i would probably give a miss. Judging by the pictures of the food i would end up with more than a rusty cutter. Bet they sell Doom Bar by the skipload.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 10, 2017, 2:36 PM

Post #77 of 85 (1854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheWavendonian] Odd pub names... [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
It looks like the sort of place i would probably give a miss. Judging by the pictures of the food i would end up with more than a rusty cutter. Bet they sell Doom Bar by the skipload.

Bet the beer mats are collectable if you can get them out of the door.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 10, 2017, 4:45 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #78 of 85 (1825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Odd pub names... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Hardly odd names, I admit, but in Emmer Green just north of Reading there are two old pubs facing eachother on the corner of the village green. One is 'The White Horse' and the other is 'The Black Horse'.

Similar situation in our village. 2 pubs, no more than 30 yards apart - Red Lion and White Lion.

The two pubs on the High Street in the village of Southwick, near Fareham, are: 'The Red Lion' and 'The Golden Lion'.

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Jun 15, 2017, 12:53 PM

Team(s): Wrexham, Wales, Coedpoeth United, Cefn Druids, Cardiff City

Post #79 of 85 (1744 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Hardly odd names, I admit, but in Emmer Green just north of Reading there are two old pubs facing eachother on the corner of the village green. One is 'The White Horse' and the other is 'The Black Horse'.

Similar situation in our village. 2 pubs, no more than 30 yards apart - Red Lion and White Lion.

The two pubs on the High Street in the village of Southwick, near Fareham, are: 'The Red Lion' and 'The Golden Lion'.

Similar situation in Coedpoeth too. At the very bottom of Castle Road there is the Red Lion, then go up to the top of Castle Road where it meets the High Street and there is another Red Lion. If you then continue straight on up Tabor Hll there is the Golden Lion. So that's 2 Red Lions and 1 Golden Lion within half a mile of each other in a straight line.

Welsh Head Researcher for Football Manager computer game series. Anyone interested in being a researcher get in touch.

noprogs
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2017, 4:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #80 of 85 (1705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamsquire86] Odd pub names... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I remember one in the Fens called The Dog in a Doublet.
Great pub sign too.

Also in Leeds an ex-police station was converted into a pub and called the Dock Green. It was opened by Jack Warner ( not of Trinidad fame).

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jun 15, 2017, 4:38 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #81 of 85 (1689 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Odd pub names... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Huddersfield has The Rat and Ratchet and The Slubbers Arms, whilst Portsmouth boasts The Sir Loin of Beef (the slob) and Southampton had The Honest Lawyer about 100 yards from The Bent Brief, the former is now Lime Bar and the latter closed and boarded up.

acmold

Jun 15, 2017, 6:07 PM

Post #82 of 85 (1657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Odd pub names... [In reply to] Can't Post or

Don't think l've mentioned it in this thread but the pub nearest my house is The Jolly Postboys which has been in situ since the 1930's with same name though in those days most of the customers spoke Welsh.

There used to be another pub near me and that was called The King of Prussa then the Allied Arms then The Ox then back to The King of Prussa. It then burnt down.

In Bletchington the pub is The Blacks Head.

KnowYourMarket

Jun 16, 2017, 11:12 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #83 of 85 (1613 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Odd pub names... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whippet Inn in Lichfield is named after a pub in a Carry On film.

George and the Dragon in Gnosall, "the" refers to George the landlord's wife. She finds it amusing too.

Leeky Tap in Leek. There is also a micro pub in Aldridge called the Turtles Head....

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 27, 2019, 10:47 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #84 of 85 (471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Odd pub names... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Went to a pub in Birmingham last week called The Flapper.

Rob North
First Team Star

Oct 28, 2019, 2:50 PM

Team(s): Didcot Town, Reading

Post #85 of 85 (352 views)
Shortcut

There was the 'Drookit Dug' pub in Cupar, but that's now the The Boudingait. A googlebox of the interweb reveals there is another Drookit Dug in Lennoxtown.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3