First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CND67
First Team Star

Jan 9, 2013, 9:42 PM

Team(s): Wolverhampton Wanderers & England

Post #1 of 26 (3406 views)
Shortcut
Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Personally I would love this to happen (I know its only half time at the moment etc) what do others think?

Last New Ground: Sherwood Colliery
Grounds Visited: 1,141

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 9, 2013, 9:48 PM

Post #2 of 26 (3404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CND67] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spurs are out so I don't care.

But then I'm a miserable git. Tongue

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

garethwrexy

Jan 10, 2013, 6:03 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #3 of 26 (3365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CND67] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

would be a great final, show what teams outsid the top 4 can do.

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

sandhurstbee

Jan 10, 2013, 7:00 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #4 of 26 (3361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Probably an indication of the sort of ties to expect in the future as the big clubs continue to treat the League Cup and to a lesser extent the FA Cup with contempt fielding so called weakened teams. More shock results and smaller teams progressing in these competitions.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Jan 10, 2013, 7:34 AM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #5 of 26 (3359 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Presumably, Bradford City would thus earn a Europa League place, win or lose in a final v. Swansea?

Professional cretin.

Rob North
First Team Star

Jan 10, 2013, 9:40 AM

Team(s): Didcot Town, Reading

Post #6 of 26 (3343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Probably an indication of the sort of ties to expect in the future as the big clubs continue to treat the League Cup and to a lesser extent the FA Cup with contempt fielding so called weakened teams. More shock results and smaller teams progressing in these competitions.

Given the following list of winners of winners over the last 10 years that argument doesn't hold much water:

2003 Liverpool
2004 Middlesbrough
2005 Chelsea
2006 Manchester United
2007 Chelsea
2008 Tottenham Hotspur
2009 Manchester United
2010 Manchester United
2011 Birmingham City
2012 Liverpool

No suggestion there that the 'big clubs' treat the competition 'with contempt'. The situation is pretty much the same in the FA Cup over the same period and if anything the big clubs dominate the competitions more than ever, so it makes a refreshing to see less high profile clubs make their mark.

Rob

Veteran

Jan 10, 2013, 10:14 AM

Post #7 of 26 (3331 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or

As already reported on a nearby thread Bradford City would need a UEFA licence and runners up do not qualify even if the winners are already eligible e.g. via league position.

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Jan 10, 2013, 11:31 AM

Post #8 of 26 (3317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Is there any reason why a UEFA licence would be refused should the need arise?

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 10, 2013, 11:42 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #9 of 26 (3312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

the FA have indicated in the past that Welsh clubs can qualify for Europe through English competitions

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Isaac

Jan 10, 2013, 12:10 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #10 of 26 (3305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob North] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Given the following list of winners of winners over the last 10 years that argument doesn't hold much water:

2003 Liverpool
2004 Middlesbrough
2005 Chelsea
2006 Manchester United
2007 Chelsea
2008 Tottenham Hotspur
2009 Manchester United
2010 Manchester United
2011 Birmingham City
2012 Liverpool

No suggestion there that the 'big clubs' treat the competition 'with contempt'. The situation is pretty much the same in the FA Cup over the same period and if anything the big clubs dominate the competitions more than ever, so it makes a refreshing to see less high profile clubs make their mark.

Rob

I think what it does prove is most of the top clubs reserve sides can beat the rest, how often do 'big clubs' put out their full strength side for League or FA Cup ties?

sandhurstbee

Jan 10, 2013, 1:12 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #11 of 26 (3288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

2003 Liverpool
2004 Middlesbrough
2005 Chelsea
2006 Manchester United
2007 Chelsea
2008 Tottenham Hotspur
2009 Manchester United
2010 Manchester United
2011 Birmingham City
2012 Liverpool

Rob

I think what it does prove is most of the top clubs reserve sides can beat the rest, how often do 'big clubs' put out their full strength side for League or FA Cup ties?

This is the point I was getting at, The big clubs have tended to field `squad` teams in this competition, I appreciate what Rob says about the winners still coming from the bigger clubs but how often do these clubs put out a full strength team even in the Final? I am sure if they were given the opportunity clubs like man utd and Chelsea would drop the League Cup altogether as the Euro Millions has become the Bee All and End All.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Slumming It
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 11, 2013, 9:26 AM

Team(s): Leeds United, Rawmarsh Welfare (RIP)

Post #12 of 26 (3208 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

2003 Liverpool
2004 Middlesbrough
2005 Chelsea
2006 Manchester United
2007 Chelsea
2008 Tottenham Hotspur
2009 Manchester United
2010 Manchester United
2011 Birmingham City
2012 Liverpool

Rob

This is the point I was getting at, The big clubs have tended to field `squad` teams in this competition, I appreciate what Rob says about the winners still coming from the bigger clubs but how often do these clubs put out a full strength team even in the Final? I am sure if they were given the opportunity clubs like man utd and Chelsea would drop the League Cup altogether as the Euro Millions has become the Bee All and End All.

In the case of Chelsea that would be a silly move, they failed to qualify for the CL via league position last season (only getting in by depriving Spurs of their rightful place) and they are on course to fail again this season. PL clubs only enter 3 domestic competitions a season, frankly if they choose to frig around with 1 of them they get the expensive failures they deserve.

TBF I am not a big fan of the whining about which players play in which competitions and the accomapnying accusations of "fielding weaker teams". Frankly if you are over 18 and being paid to be a professional footballer at a PL club (or any other fulltime professional club for that matter) then you should be good enough to play and put in a performance.

Bielsa ringing...

Leeds games are my priority but will go anywhere to not be home on a Saturday (Jeff Stelling or the BT version drive me out not my wife and kids).

garethwrexy

Jan 11, 2013, 6:44 PM

Post #13 of 26 (3149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

hope they would let swansea play in europe !

cope1

Jan 11, 2013, 7:03 PM

Post #14 of 26 (3145 views)
Shortcut

I don't see why people make a fuss about what team the big clubs put out. It would be different if there were a group stage where other teams might suffer by Man U, Arsenal etc put a reserve side out but as it's only the club that picks the team which can lose.

Of course, as noted, the big clubs don't lose that often, even with squad players. Arsenal lost to Birmingham in the final a couple of years back and this season to Bradford, both with 1st team players playing. They almost always win comfortably when they put squad players out. Mind you, the 1st team is become ever more what used to be considered squad players...

chef66
Youth Team Star

Jan 11, 2013, 7:46 PM

Post #15 of 26 (3135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chelsea have put consistently strong teams in the League Cup and FA Cup certainly since the Mourinho days, and with significantly reduced prices.

(This post was edited by chef66 on Jan 11, 2013, 8:53 PM)

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Jan 13, 2013, 7:37 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #16 of 26 (3052 views)
Shortcut

I would love to see it. Might even be tempted to go.

All these lists of winners are one thing, but what about the make up of Quarter and semi finals in the League Cup? I have to say in recent years I have certainly taken more of an interest in it than the FA Cup at later stages. Not sure if that is due to the Teams or the way the games are played.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

T P Johnson
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 16, 2013, 3:09 PM

Post #17 of 26 (2950 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Why should'nt they Gareth after all as according to UEFA they are an English club based in Wales

Tim Johnson

garethwrexy

Jan 16, 2013, 7:21 PM

Post #18 of 26 (2917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [T P Johnson] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

i await to see what uefa says........Unsure

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 16, 2013, 9:34 PM

Post #19 of 26 (2895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [T P Johnson] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Why should'nt they Gareth after all as according to UEFA they are an English club based in Wales

Try telling that to their supporters - for some reason they seem to be under the impression they are Welsh.

Steelback
First Team Star

Jan 16, 2013, 11:44 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #20 of 26 (2874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Like all the 'Welsh' teams, they're only patriotic Welsh when it suits them!!

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

PaulC

Jan 17, 2013, 9:24 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #21 of 26 (2843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Like all the 'Welsh' teams, they're only patriotic Welsh when it suits them!!

Can you point to the words "English" or "England" in "Football Association" or "Premier League"?

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 17, 2013, 12:46 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #22 of 26 (2821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In the early years, Scotland and Ireland were represented in the FA Cup. The Welsh were allowed in when they had managed to get some of their balls to the correct shape.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

ictoan
First Team Regular

Jan 17, 2013, 4:45 PM

Team(s):

Post #23 of 26 (2792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
In the early years, Scotland and Ireland were represented in the FA Cup. The Welsh were allowed in when they had managed to get some of their balls to the correct shape.

Not sure about Ireland but in the case of Scotland it was the Scottish FA who ruled that Scottish teams could no longer compete in the FA Cup.

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

The North begins at Gatwick.

jrev61

Jan 17, 2013, 8:14 PM

Team(s): None

Post #24 of 26 (2772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ictoan] Swansea v Bradford League Cup Final? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Not sure about Ireland but in the case of Scotland it was the Scottish FA who ruled that Scottish teams could no longer compete in the FA Cup.

Linfield once entered the FA Cup, although I don't think they actually played any games.

jrev61

rainjar
First Team Star

May 11, 2013, 3:26 PM

Post #25 of 26 (1703 views)
Shortcut

Before this season, the last a major domestic final was contested by two clubs who hadn’t reached the final of that competition before was 1978, when Nottingham Forest faced Liverpool in the League Cup Final.

Coincidentally, the last time the FA Cup Final was between two clubs that hadn’t reached the final before also involved Liverpool – the 1914 FA Cup Final between Burnley and Liverpool.

Bradford City had not reached the semi-finals of the League Cup before this season, while Swansea had not even reached the last 8 before this season.

The other 6 clubs in this season's last 8 all had strong League Cup pedigree. Before this season:

W F SF L8
Aston Villa 5 8 13 19
Chelsea 4 6 10 17
Arsenal 2 7 14 24
Norwich City 2 4 5 13
Middlesbrough 1 3 5 8
Leeds Utd 1 2 5 6
Bradford City 0 0 0 3
Swansea City 0 0 0 0

What was Swansea's best performance in the League Cup before this season?

Football Insights

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3