Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Sports presenters mistakes

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 14, 2013, 9:27 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #301 of 1110 (38944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kazy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Agreed. Definitely Shoesbury to the natives.

Isaac

May 12, 2013, 2:09 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #302 of 1110 (38839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ian Brown on five live commented on the Leicester following at Watford today who had traveled down the A1.............I suspect most used the M1 unless they wanted to take the scenic routeCrazy

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 12, 2013, 3:01 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #303 of 1110 (38832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Ian Brown on five live commented on the Leicester following at Watford today who had traveled down the A1.............I suspect most used the M1 unless they wanted to take the scenic routeCrazy

You've confused me now - why would Leicester fans travel down the A1 - it's nowhere near the city?

dottirofhod

May 12, 2013, 3:32 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #304 of 1110 (38827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll let Isaac explain. Shouldn't partake on a Sunday dinner !

Edit. Done. There you go Paddy , easy innit ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 109 / 92 / 17 / 4 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 18 / 11 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-0-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on May 12, 2013, 6:07 PM)

Isaac

May 12, 2013, 5:31 PM

Post #305 of 1110 (38814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

You've confused me now - why would Leicester fans travel down the A1 - it's nowhere near the city?

I suggest you ask Ian Brown, I'm just repeating what he saidTongue

pinewoodste
First Team Star

May 13, 2013, 1:28 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #306 of 1110 (38768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't often read this thread although what I'm about to put isn't actually a sports presenter mistake but so called wonderful technology.

I was watching the FC Porto v Benfica match in a café/bar in Porto. A massive game due to the standings etc & with the score at 1-1 & now into injury time the ball had just gone past the centre circle when suddenly a guy with earphones was celebrating a goal & then a few others joined in. Finally the tv pictures caught up & we finally saw the goal. It was only a matter of seconds but just didn't feel right.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced similar. I must admit I'm sure our delay in the UK must be a fraction quicker.

So much for 'live' football on tv.

kazy
Junior Team Star

May 13, 2013, 8:00 PM

Post #307 of 1110 (38744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not sure if anyone else has experienced similar. I must admit I'm sure our delay in the UK must be a fraction quicker.

I doubt the UK is quicker. The delay has increased since digital replaced analogue. Before the complete changeover I was watching an England game in pub where those in sight of the analogue screen saw the goals at least 3/4 seconds before those viewing the big screen.

Used to be a very good way to make a quick buck on Betfair until they increased their delay on matching bets to 8 secs Mad

Veteran

May 15, 2013, 11:49 PM

Post #308 of 1110 (38680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

Bad English which occurs regularly :

"X are the BEST team" when referring to a game which, of course, has only two teams.

To be fair to Anal Green He always does say "better" but he is almost in the minority.

royals26

May 27, 2013, 1:05 AM

Team(s): Reading

Post #309 of 1110 (38489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
..... the ball had just gone past the centre circle when suddenly a guy with earphones was celebrating a goal & then a few others joined in. Finally the tv pictures caught up & we finally saw the goal. It was only a matter of seconds but just didn't feel right.

So much for 'live' football on tv.

... for recent Euro/World Finals tournaments; on certain nights for most late KOs, our youngest gets sent to bed and is allowed to listen to the radio upstairs.

Unfortunately the sound of his excited 'plates' thumping across his bedroom floor and down the stairs is a sure fire signal there is about to be a goal on the game we are trying to watch on Sk(h)y(pe) in the Lounge.

- we attempted to try and ban him from moving but he was always so keen to see the goal he tended to forget.

I have the distinct impression HD is possibly even further behind by a second or more.

... mind you we could try and enforce a 'talksport' only ruling - then he'd be at least as much behind the play as us - since they so rarely actually cover the game 'live' or keep up with what's going on if they can help it - even when they've been bleating all f£ckin week that they are going to Mad - particularly when 'Stan & Sam' are in the commentary box.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 30, 2013, 10:24 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #310 of 1110 (38413 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not really a presenter's mistake, but after last night's England v Eire match on 5Live, Mark Pugatch said to David Pleat:

"David, you've been around the block, haven't you?"

Fnar fnar!

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 30, 2013, 1:03 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #311 of 1110 (38392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not really a presenter's mistake, but after last night's England v Eire match on 5Live, Mark Pugatch said to David Pleat:

"David, you've been around the block, haven't you?"

Fnar fnar!

Yep, very slowly.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 30, 2013, 6:06 PM

Post #312 of 1110 (38375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

TheWavendonian has just texted to remind me of, back in the days when we both worked on an Isle Of Wight holiday camp during the 1994/5 season, the day we were listening to BBC Radio Solent's usually excellent half-hour non-league roundup. It went along the lines of...

Presenter: "And in the Wessex League, BAT 1 Aerostructures 1, East Cowes Vics 3 Downton 0, Ryde Sports ... er ... er ... er ... ... OH BOLLOCKS!!!"

quickly followed by the clunking sounds of a studio tape machine being kicked to a grinding halt. Getting on now for twenty years ago, and still the funniest radio I've ever heard.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 18, 2013, 1:14 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #313 of 1110 (38242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Showing the special insight expected of BBC pundits, John Hartson commented at half-time after numerous missed chances by Nigeria against Tahiti - "I wouldn't be surprised if they (Nigeria) made six or seven changes for the second half" Crazy

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Jun 20, 2013, 10:28 AM

Post #314 of 1110 (38141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

I could swear John Hartson was saying pelanty last night in the Italy v Japan game

chris41

Jun 21, 2013, 12:52 PM

Post #315 of 1110 (38064 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Showing the special insight expected of BBC pundits, John Hartson commented at half-time after numerous missed chances by Nigeria against Tahiti - "I wouldn't be surprised if they (Nigeria) made six or seven changes for the second half" Crazy

In the same game with Kevin Kilbane summarising, I am sure he stated that Australia would now struggle moving to The Asian confederation. Doesn't appear to be happening so far qualifying for two successive World Cup Final tournaments.Crazy

zebedee
First Team Star

Jun 21, 2013, 9:53 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #316 of 1110 (38036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chris41] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kevin Kilbane also managed to refer to Spain as Spurs during the Tahiti game last night.

Steelback
First Team Star

Sep 5, 2013, 7:52 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #317 of 1110 (36847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Smug git Simon Thomas has just informed us on the FL72 Review Show that Newport 'Town' were one of two 'Towns' promoted from the Conference last season?!?! He also claimed that Newport 'Town' are back in the Football League! And here's be thinking they were formed in 1989 and have never been in the Fotball League

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

Sarumio

Sep 6, 2013, 8:33 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #318 of 1110 (36815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Smug git Simon Thomas has just informed us on the FL72 Review Show that Newport 'Town' were one of two 'Towns' promoted from the Conference last season?!?! He also claimed that Newport 'Town' are back in the Football League! And here's be thinking they were formed in 1989 and have never been in the Fotball League

And here was me thinking Newport Town played in the West Midlands Regional League.

Ancient Wolf
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 7, 2013, 8:05 PM

Team(s): Middlesbrough and Norton and Stockton Ancients

Post #319 of 1110 (36763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No Football League Show tonight.
In previous seasons they have shown League 1 and 2 goals on international weekends.
Further decline in BBC coverage!

As an aside did anyone notice the number of sendings off in the FL today. Possibly refs from higher leagues interpreting the laws more strictly?

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 11, 2013, 12:38 PM

Post #320 of 1110 (36680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ancient Wolf] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another from Radio 5Live...

Last night, they broke off from Ukraine v. England to go over to the Luxembourg v. Northern Ireland match, where Luxembourg had just taken the lead. The commentator said:

"...and you can't not say that they don't deserve to be winning."

which I think is the exact opposite to what he actually meant.

jrev61

Sep 19, 2013, 5:38 PM

Team(s): None

Post #321 of 1110 (36495 views)
Shortcut

Not a sports presenter's mistake but this year's Sky Sports Football Yearbook has a feature on Sir Alex Ferguson which his record season by season as a manager.
For the 1979-80 season with Aberdeen it gives the following league record.

P W D L F A PTS POS

46 19 10 71 61 38 48 1

This shows the absolute genius of the man. He can lose 71 games in a season yet still win the leagueSmile

Not sure they played 46 league games in a season in the Scottish Premier League either.

jrev61

Richard Rundle

Sep 19, 2013, 5:56 PM

Post #322 of 1110 (36489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They've also used Celtic's Goals F & A (they were runners-up).

Mind you, it wasn't the "Scottish Premier League" back then either, it was the Scottish League, Premier Division.

Isaac

Sep 28, 2013, 7:49 PM

Post #323 of 1110 (36318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Darren Fletcher on 606 is plonker of the day

A caller from Brislington , with a broad west country accent, calls about their FA Cup win over Truro City today. Fletcher goes on to make several refererences to Bridlington and trips to the seasideCrazy. Surely it should be obvious that Truro wouldn't be going to Bridlington in a regionalised draw?

Fletcher later admits he's never heard of Needham MarketMadMad

(This post was edited by Isaac on Sep 30, 2013, 9:55 AM)

UKPunk

Sep 30, 2013, 12:23 AM

Post #324 of 1110 (36276 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Fletcher later admits he's never heard of Needham MarketMad

Of course he's never heard of them. They're not in the premiership.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 17, 2013, 1:57 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #325 of 1110 (35796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At the end of the game at Wembley on Tuesday the stadium announcer informed everyone that England had qualified for the World Cup Finals in Brazil where they would join the hosts and 31 other teams.

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3