Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

London Harrier
First Team Star

Oct 4, 2013, 1:46 PM

Post #1 of 167 (20478 views)
Shortcut
Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? Can't Post or Reply Privately

In the last few years we’ve seen household names such as Our Price, Comet, Game, HMV and Woolworths disappear from the high street.

Based on current trends, specifically the ability to buy nearly everything online/in digital format and at a more competitive price, who might be next?

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 4, 2013, 1:54 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #2 of 167 (20476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pedant alert, but HMV haven't gone

London Harrier
First Team Star

Oct 4, 2013, 1:58 PM

Post #3 of 167 (20472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Pedant alert, but HMV haven't gone

Fair point - but they are far less ubiquitous.

On a wider note, its becoming a major chore to find a decent shop where you can buy music and DVDs now. They used to be everywhere.

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 4, 2013, 2:05 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #4 of 167 (20466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Argos seem to be favourites

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 4, 2013, 2:17 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #5 of 167 (20461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have Waterstones gone?2 big branches in Leicester closed last year

Isaac

Oct 4, 2013, 2:36 PM

Post #6 of 167 (20456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Waterstones are still going but seem to be constantly down sizing as are WH Smith

mip

Oct 4, 2013, 2:51 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #7 of 167 (20450 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Waterstones are still going but seem to be constantly down sizing as are WH Smith

Waterstones have an online shop side to the business as well (free UK delivery I believe so why go to the shop...). I guess closing down shops is just a symptom that more and more books are sold online.

While I'd like to do most of my shopping online, buying books is a thing where I like to go to a proper shop and browse just to be inspired by books I'd never have known existed otherwise.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 4, 2013, 3:02 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #8 of 167 (20444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Always thought that DFS were nailed on for the drop but still hanging in there....

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

FA Vase semis wanted: 1978 Barton v Hungerford. 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

acmold

Oct 4, 2013, 3:22 PM

Post #9 of 167 (20435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Our local shopping centre is getting a Poundland to go with the 99p shop which opened a couple of years ago, the trend is for cut price cheap and (hopefully) cheerful shops these days.

Only the odd "Men's Shops" remains locally even with the large student population and private schools who have to buy certain garments at inflated prices, everyone else uses Primark and Peacocks.

Think Waterstones are still open in Oxford but Borders went a year or two ago which I thought was better than Waterstones. But Amazon will kill most of them eventually.

I know someone who was a very senior manager at W.H.Smiths for 40 odd years, last time I spoke he was having problems with some of his secured pension rights as the company were trying to get out of their obligations. Our local Smiths is deserted most of the time and is run by 2 or 3 staff, when I was a kid it employed 20 or 30.. There is a Wilkinsons 50 yards away so who is going to buy stationary at Smiths when it is half the price at Wilko

acmold

Oct 4, 2013, 3:24 PM

Post #10 of 167 (20434 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Always thought that DFS were nailed on for the drop but still hanging in there....

DFS and their ilk are not really shops they are credit dealers who have to have a commodity to exchange for a credit agreements.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 4, 2013, 3:28 PM

Post #11 of 167 (20431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good point and well made but with the last five years being at a fiscal stand still, I just
presumed, wrongly, that many would default on their [DFS] generous offers, sending them
into a Pompeyesque spiral....

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 4, 2013, 4:58 PM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #12 of 167 (20415 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Waterstones are alive & well in Exeter where they have TWO shops, also one in Newton Abbot, but the Torquay one closed when they had their cull.

HMV in Exeter is massive and (seems to be) thriving.

Wouldn't surprise me if Argos did go, they were talking about closing some stores 2 or 3 years back, but nothing seems to have happened as yet.

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

acmold

Oct 4, 2013, 5:05 PM

Post #13 of 167 (20412 views)
Shortcut

Do you have to put some sort of security up or have references / referees who guarantee the debt. Where I worked once they applied for a credit license but were turned down due to the area where one of the shops was located.

I know people who have gone into the likes of DFS and tried to buy a Sofa with cash and have been shown the door.

Likewise whenever I buy a car it is hell of a job to pay cash, last time they insisted if I pay fully upfront it had to be a bankers draft from certain banks. I told them you have the deposit on a debit card and the balance in a building society cheque or £50 notes in a carrier bag or I go elsewhere. Still tried to sell me finance.

There again every bank I have an account with keeps offering me loans and overdrafts despite my accounts being well in the black and having deposit / savings accounts. Also I get numerous (many) offers of credit cards they seem quite befuddled when I say I don't believe in credit and I only buy things when I can afford them. Why use a credit card at 29.6 APR when you have money in the bank.

UKPunk

Oct 4, 2013, 9:50 PM

Post #14 of 167 (20374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
HMV in Exeter is massive and (seems to be) thriving.

The one in Colchester always seems to be busy. I was in there on Thursday filling in a couple of gaps in my collection by purchasing the Bob Dylan album Another Side of Bob Dylan and the Disturbed album Believe. £3.99 each.....a bargain! Smile

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 4, 2013, 10:11 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #15 of 167 (20366 views)
Shortcut

Pedant alert: Presumably you mean 'bite the dust' not 'bite the bullet'. The latter means to put up with something painful in order to survive in the long term.

Isaac

Oct 6, 2013, 12:20 PM

Post #16 of 167 (20287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Pedant alert: Presumably you mean 'bite the dust' not 'bite the bullet'. The latter means to put up with something painful in order to survive in the long term.

Fair point Mr PedantWink

Isaac

Oct 6, 2013, 12:26 PM

Post #17 of 167 (20283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Our local shopping centre is getting a Poundland to go with the 99p shop which opened a couple of years ago, the trend is for cut price cheap and (hopefully) cheerful shops these days.

Only the odd "Men's Shops" remains locally even with the large student population and private schools who have to buy certain garments at inflated prices, everyone else uses Primark and Peacocks.

Think Waterstones are still open in Oxford but Borders went a year or two ago which I thought was better than Waterstones. But Amazon will kill most of them eventually.

I know someone who was a very senior manager at W.H.Smiths for 40 odd years, last time I spoke he was having problems with some of his secured pension rights as the company were trying to get out of their obligations. Our local Smiths is deserted most of the time and is run by 2 or 3 staff, when I was a kid it employed 20 or 30.. There is a Wilkinsons 50 yards away so who is going to buy stationary at Smiths when it is half the price at Wilko

I think most of what WH Smith sell has been superseeded by the onset of the internet, they gave up on music, and fewer people buy books, magazines and stationary nowadays.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 10, 2013, 10:16 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #18 of 167 (20187 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think most of what WH Smith sell has been superseeded by the onset of the internet, they gave up on music, and fewer people buy books, magazines and stationary nowadays.

There was a whole page in The Guardian on Saturday about how Waterstones are coping with the High Street downturn (in their own opinion, well enough). It was also mentioned on the radio this morning, with the opinion expressed that the sale of e-books and kindles will at some point soon level out (personally I'm not so sure about that, but hope I'm wrong).

The strength of WHSmiths is in their shops at railway stations and airports, which are incredibly profitable and I suspect can carry any losses they make in their High Street shops. Marks & Spencers have also benefitted from their successful food branches at railway and motorway service stations, with their profitable food sales carrying their loss-making clothes section.

One High Street shop who aren't in that fortunate position are British Home Stores, who seem to be squeezed more and more by the expensive quality end of the market on one side and Primark on the other. In Oxford, BHS and Primark are almost next door to eachother - Primark is always packed while BHS, despite being by far the more pleasant to shop in, seems to be empty of shoppers almost all the time.

One type of shop whose success continues to amaze me is that of mobile phone shops. Its an item that is so cheap and easy to buy on the internet, you can pay bills at the bank and you can buy credit at supermarkets, newsagents and even cashpoints, and yet these shops seem to pack town and city centres, always in the highest rent locations. And they are ALWAYS woeful to go into. I can't understand why they are so successful.

VP

Oct 10, 2013, 7:38 PM

Post #19 of 167 (20132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

The strength of WHSmiths is in their shops at railway stations and airports, which are incredibly profitable and I suspect can carry any losses they make in their High Street shops.

WH Smith have been clever in getting Post Offices put into some of their stores. After today's announcement they'll have 98 shops with Post Offices in them shortly. Not only do they make money on selling PO services, there's the added bonus of higher footfall in their shops.

(This post was edited by VP on Oct 10, 2013, 7:42 PM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 11, 2013, 8:55 AM

Post #20 of 167 (20075 views)
Shortcut

Hopefully Wetherspoons....

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013, 10:48 AM

Post #21 of 167 (20064 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The strength of WHSmiths is in their shops at railway stations and airports, which are incredibly profitable and I suspect can carry any losses they make in their High Street shops.

WH Smith have been clever in getting Post Offices put into some of their stores. After today's announcement they'll have 98 shops with Post Offices in them shortly. Not only do they make money on selling PO services, there's the added bonus of higher footfall in their shops.[/
reply]

Mind you post offices are seriously struggling now as well, I really cannot remember the last time I used one.

acmold

Oct 11, 2013, 11:08 AM

Post #22 of 167 (20057 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or

The last time I used one was to post a programme, it cost over a £1 to send a non league programme 2nd class. Don't think I will be using it much in future. Most of my local post offices closed years ago and we now have one left in the local Co-op

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 30, 2013, 3:58 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #23 of 167 (19774 views)
Shortcut

http://www.theguardian.com/...-bid-retail-business

As I've worked in retail for nearly 20 years now, I'll always try and be positive and optimistic about High Street shops.

However, even I could see that Blockbuster's first bailout earlier this year was never going to work. If ever there was a chainstore that shoved its head in the sand over the very technological advances upon which its whole business depended (and had been doing so for the past 20 years), it was Blockbuster Video.

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Oct 31, 2013, 12:17 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #24 of 167 (19718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
http://www.theguardian.com/...-bid-retail-business

As I've worked in retail for nearly 20 years now, I'll always try and be positive and optimistic about High Street shops.

However, even I could see that Blockbuster's first bailout earlier this year was never going to work. If ever there was a chainstore that shoved its head in the sand over the very technological advances upon which its whole business depended (and had been doing so for the past 20 years), it was Blockbuster Video.

Indeed.

Smiths - will be like Woolworths in that its main big stores will be struggling but those in smaller towns will still be OK and making a stack out of its Transport outlets.

Due to my job I get a lot free time in the week and find it quite pleasant to drive to a local town, have a coffee and/or a beer and a stroll around. You'd hardly do that at an out of town retail park! Its quite interesting seeing whats happening to high streets and what you can still buy there. I had a very succesful trip to Trowbridge recently, where there was an old fashioned department store that sold under one roof a whole lot of things that I had been looking for in supermarkets to no avail for weeks.

Planners and money grubbing Councils have a lot to answer for. Two big supermarkets in Trowbridge are actually built in the Town Centre. In fact I used Sainsbury's for free parking and spent £50 in the Town before i did my shopping there! Parking prices in Chippenham, where the supermarkets etc are all out of town, are actually dearer than Trowbridge and killing the Town Centre slowly.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

Isaac

Nov 5, 2013, 8:57 AM

Post #25 of 167 (19612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On this mornings news that Marks & Spencer are sruggling again on the clothing side, food section seems to be doing ok.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3