Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Sports presenters mistakes

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Oct 17, 2013, 3:50 PM

Post #326 of 1110 (34596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

Bosnia AND Herzegovina Wink

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

thowdreds
Youth Team Star

Oct 20, 2013, 1:01 PM

Team(s): Accrington Stanley, Blackburn Rovers, BurnleyLeicester City, Halesowen Town

Post #327 of 1110 (34506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just heard the beginning of Match of the Day 2 Extra. Welcome to Villa Park home of today's only fixture. I think Leeds United and Birmingham City might have something to say about that let alone anyone else who's playing today. Also yesterday afternoon they went for a report from Huish Park where the Championship's two most southerly clubs were playing each other. Clearly AFC Bournemouth don't count.

chris41
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 9, 2013, 12:25 PM

Post #328 of 1110 (34297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Already covered to an extent in other threads, but on Football focus even Dan Walker has just said that The FA Cup has already kicked off with last nights meeting of The 1987 & 1988 Cup winnersShocked.Yeah Right DanCrazy

Veteran

Nov 10, 2013, 11:24 PM

Post #329 of 1110 (34250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chris41] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

Collymoron at it again today, moaning that referees are exaggerating "routine" fouls by giving yellow cards or penalty kicks.

Exactly what does he expect for fouls in the penalty area ?

Isaac

Nov 11, 2013, 6:40 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #330 of 1110 (34230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Crystal Palace's Dwight Gayle was at Bishop Sortford v Northampton yesterday............Clark Carlisle refered too him as Dwight YorkeMad

jrev61

Nov 11, 2013, 10:20 PM

Team(s): None

Post #331 of 1110 (34165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The commentator at Shortwood United v. Port Vale managed to refer to them as Shortwood Town and Southwood United.

jrev61

Isaac

Nov 11, 2013, 10:59 PM

Post #332 of 1110 (34154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The commentator at Shortwood United v. Port Vale managed to refer to them as Shortwood Town and Southwood United.

Somebody on talksport refered to them as ShotwoodCrazy

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 12, 2013, 1:48 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #333 of 1110 (34141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Not only that, he (Darren Fletcher) informed us that Port Vale's Ashley Griffiths was the capital of Montserrat, that one of the forthcoming advertised matches was to be seen on Sky Sports (that would have pleased BT immensely, I'd have thought), that the ground had only 50 seats (I'm sure the Southern League demand more than that) and that the players just play for petrol money - which may be true. And as for tired ill-researched cliches well, that's what the FA Cup is all about (said about a dozen times.
A truly dire commentating performance with whinger Colin interjecting at regular intervals.

chris41

Nov 12, 2013, 10:42 AM

Post #334 of 1110 (34119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Noticed ITV commentator running through the Bishop Stortford line up with their job titles displayed for the Northampton game. Another example of yet again Stereotyping non-league football

(This post was edited by chris41 on Nov 12, 2013, 10:44 AM)

kirby knitters

Nov 12, 2013, 10:49 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #335 of 1110 (34115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chris41] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Noticed ITV commentator running through the Bishop Stortford line up with their job titles displayed for the Northampton game. Another example of yet again Stereotyping non-league football

They can stereotype non-league football until the cows come home it doesnt bother me what does however is when its done in a derogatory manner which belittles our game

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 12, 2013, 11:45 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #336 of 1110 (34109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chris41] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

It's a bit harsh to call this stereotyping. It is factual reporting giving additional information to viewers. That's what commentators are supposed to do. I suppose they could have balanced it out by having captions describing all the Northampton players as 'footballers' (although based on their season so far that might be misleading Tongue).

jrev61

Nov 12, 2013, 11:51 AM

Post #337 of 1110 (34108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Not only that, he (Darren Fletcher) informed us that Port Vale's Ashley Griffiths was the capital of Montserrat, that one of the forthcoming advertised matches was to be seen on Sky Sports (that would have pleased BT immensely, I'd have thought), that the ground had only 50 seats (I'm sure the Southern League demand more than that) and that the players just play for petrol money - which may be true. And as for tired ill-researched cliches well, that's what the FA Cup is all about (said about a dozen times.
A truly dire commentating performance with whinger Colin interjecting at regular intervals.

Must have confused him with Plymouth! They also said that he qualified for Montserrat because of his father. This is not strictly true, as Montserrat is a Crown Colony, anyone with a UK passport can play for them, the same applies to Bermuda, Turks and Caicos Islands, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands and probably Gibraltar too.
As for the 50 seats, I noticed that one stand had the TV gantry placed in front of it and was unoccupied, not sure how many seats are in the main Howard Webb stand. Apparently the Howard and Webb families have contributed a lot towards Shortwood over the years and have therefore had a stand named after them. Not a case of Manyoo fans naming the stand after one of their major benefactors.

jrev61

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 12, 2013, 12:34 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #338 of 1110 (34089 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Must have confused him with Plymouth! They also said that he qualified for Montserrat because of his father. This is not strictly true, as Montserrat is a Crown Colony, anyone with a UK passport can play for them, the same applies to Bermuda, Turks and Caicos Islands, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands and probably Gibraltar too.

Not actually correct, FIFA demand a residence or birth connection with the territory.
In 2000, the Cayman Islands thought of this, and tried to recruit a team without connections to the Islands before a World Cup game with Cuba. They persuaded Wayne Allison, Ged Brannan, David Barnett, Martin O'Connor, Dwayne Plummer, Barry Hayles, Neville Roach and Neil Sharpe to "sign" for them. All except Allison played for the Caymans in a friendly match against DC United, (DC won 5-0). FIFA informed them that the players were ineligible and they did not appear in any full internationals, with the exception of Barry Hayles who won ten caps with Jamaica

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 12, 2013, 12:42 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #339 of 1110 (34085 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Port Vale's Ashley Griffiths was the capital of Montserrat,

Did he refer to Ashley Griffiths?, or Anthony Griffith - the Port Vale player who captained Montserrat during their last two world cup games, but did not play in last years Caribbean Cup qualification games.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

buncranaboy

Nov 12, 2013, 12:53 PM

Post #340 of 1110 (34076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Port Vale's Ashley Griffiths was the capital of Montserrat,

Did he refer to Ashley Griffiths?, or Anthony Griffith - the Port Vale player who captained Montserrat during their last two world cup games, but did not play in last years Caribbean Cup qualification games.

He called him Ashley Crazy

chris41

Nov 12, 2013, 1:20 PM

Post #341 of 1110 (34068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

It's a bit harsh to call this stereotyping. It is factual reporting giving additional information to viewers. That's what commentators are supposed to do. I suppose they could have balanced it out by having captions describing all the Northampton players as 'footballers' (although based on their season so far that might be misleading Tongue).

It's patronising to say the least to your everyday football fan. Surely any football fan with even half a brain would know that that the Bishop's Stortford players would have other jobs.

cope1

Nov 12, 2013, 2:11 PM

Post #342 of 1110 (34058 views)
Shortcut

I don't think it's offensive that they list their jobs. It's more annoying when they describe them all as plumbers and postmen when they're not. It doesn't really bother me that people focusing on the professional leagues come out with (often inaccurate) clichés, I get more annoyed by people who know a little bit and therefore consider themselves officianados and spout all sorts of myths. A friend of mine 'loves the FA Cup because any team in England can enter'. I point out clubs local to us who cannot and she suggests I'm being ridiculous because obviously 'those are just amateur clubs - they don't count'.

(This post was edited by cope1 on Nov 12, 2013, 2:12 PM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 23, 2013, 7:13 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #343 of 1110 (33893 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just come up on the BBC live feed....

Ten minutes to go at Stamford Bridge. It will take something remarkable for West Ham to come back into this.

Hmmmm

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Isaac

Nov 24, 2013, 7:27 PM

Post #344 of 1110 (33812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kelly Cates on five live announced tonight that Tottenham were down to 9th but still only two places outside of the top fourCrazy

buncranaboy

Nov 24, 2013, 7:30 PM

Post #345 of 1110 (33810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Kelly Cates on five live announced tonight that Tottenham were down to 9th but still only two places outside of the top fourCrazy

Yes, she competes well with "Wrighty's" special level of fickness

As soon as you hear "talking points a-plenty", you know it's time to switch off because little of the following conversations will have anything to do with the football.

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Nov 24, 2013, 8:48 PM)

Richard Rundle

Nov 24, 2013, 8:46 PM

Post #346 of 1110 (33796 views)
Shortcut

I'm sure I heard Martin Keown on 5 Live yesterday afternoon talking about the Arsenal match as a "war of nutrition"

jrev61

Nov 25, 2013, 5:39 PM

Post #347 of 1110 (33752 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm sure I heard Martin Keown on 5 Live yesterday afternoon talking about the Arsenal match as a "war of nutrition"

Obviously diet is increasingly important in today's football.Smile

jrev61

buncranaboy

Nov 25, 2013, 7:19 PM

Post #348 of 1110 (33743 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Obviously diet is increasingly important in today's football.Smile

Stop it at once - you're sounding like Muesli-face Molders Tongue

paulh66

Dec 16, 2013, 12:51 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #349 of 1110 (33390 views)
Shortcut

Not a presenter's mistake but still marvelling at Pardew's "handbags at half mast" quote yesterday...

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 22, 2013, 8:18 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #350 of 1110 (33224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Obviously the researcher for BBC sport is away for the holidays....

Teenager Ross Barkley scores a superb late free-kick as Everton win 2-1 at Swansea
and move into the Champions League places.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3