First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 15, 2013, 8:02 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #1 of 140 (34647 views)
Shortcut
Grounds for concern - Rugby Union Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought it was about time we had a separate thread to post news on any rugby grounds under threat from the bulldozers. I'll set the ball rolling with Harrogate who are set to move from their current base at Claro Road near the town centre to their new ground at Rudding Lane on the South-Eastern edge of town in time for the start of next season. A photograph on their website shows construction well under way with the grass already laid out for the main pitch.
Please post on here if you know the latest on Burton, Walsall, Kendal or any other rugby clubs who may be moving.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Sep 15, 2013, 8:03 PM)

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Sep 16, 2013, 12:12 AM

Post #2 of 140 (34615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm not aware that there has been any further progress in Walsall's proposed move to Aldridge Airport, but there's someone on this forum who's more closely linked to the club than I am, so maybe he might have some up-to-date information. Googling indicates that Walsall Council were due to consider the matter of granting the rugby club a "long lease of land" there back in March 2012, but what the outcome was, I don't know.

In contrast, I can report from yesterday's visit that there were rough plans up on the Droitwich notice board showing an increase of their car park spaces from the current 129 by at least a further 100 !! I think that's as a result of the success of their Mini and Junior teams.

IAN S
First Team Star

Sep 16, 2013, 10:26 AM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #3 of 140 (34585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

While not doubting the plans and the move at the end of the season, Harrogate were "moving" when I went - in 1996!

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 16, 2013, 7:39 PM

Team(s): None

Post #4 of 140 (34554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Went to Burton last season. In the programme they were asking for people to come along in June to tidy up the ground, which suggests they will not be moving this season.
The ground is well worth doing, with a lovely old stand. Also a former football league ground.
Someone told me last season that London irish Wild Geese will be moving from London Irish's former home in Sunbury. They seem to be still there at the moment.

jrev61

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Sep 16, 2013, 8:06 PM

Post #5 of 140 (34546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Someone told me last season that London irish Wild Geese will be moving from London Irish's former home in Sunbury. They seem to be still there at the moment.

I assume this is linked to the development of The Avenue site in Lower Sunbury. It's been a long and rancorous process but they have finally got an amended application through the council

http://www.spelthorne.gov.uk/...don-Irish-Rugby-Club

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 19, 2013, 11:58 PM

Post #6 of 140 (34442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

London Irish's 2nd XV have two Monday night home games at The Avenue in the Premiership 'A' League:
This coming Monday September 23rd v Exeter Braves; October 7th v Bath United.
Both matches kick-off at 7:30pm.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 2, 2014, 11:38 PM

Post #7 of 140 (33278 views)
Shortcut

Slightly after the horse has bolted on this one but whilst looking for info on Burton's ground move after reading Sheffgeoff's post (WAYG 11th January) I stumbled accross that Lincoln RFC of Midlands 3 East (North) have moved this season from their city centre Lindum Sports Ground to a new facility 3 miles east at Longdales Park, Lodge Lane, Nettleham. It's just around the corner from Nettleham FC.
Speaking of Burton I can't find any confirmation on their website that Peel Croft is being knocked down next summer or where they will be playing next season if indeed this is to be their last season at the historic old ground.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 6, 2014, 4:29 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #8 of 140 (33140 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Slightly after the horse has bolted on this one but whilst looking for info on Burton's ground move after reading Sheffgeoff's post (WAYG 11th January) I stumbled accross that Lincoln RFC of Midlands 3 East (North) have moved this season from their city centre Lindum Sports Ground to a new facility 3 miles east at Longdales Park, Lodge Lane, Nettleham. It's just around the corner from Nettleham FC.
Speaking of Burton I can't find any confirmation on their website that Peel Croft is being knocked down next summer or where they will be playing next season if indeed this is to be their last season at the historic old ground.

Doesn't look like this will be the last season at Peel Croft. See separate post.

ciderjon
First Team Star

Jan 7, 2014, 9:07 AM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 140 (33096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just moving this scrap of info now we have a separate thread for it. Dings Crusaders ground has been bought by the Univ of West of England (along with several others in vicinity) but this one is going for housing.

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 8, 2014, 9:00 PM

Post #10 of 140 (32995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks Ciderjohn. Do you know the timescale how long they have left at the old ground? Nothing on Dings website about them moving, all I can find is a newspaper article from 2009 in which the club were hoping to take over and develop the ground of Bishopston RFC which is next door but in a different borough - the boundary line between Bristol and South Gloucestershire separates the grounds.

ciderjon
First Team Star

Jan 9, 2014, 1:37 PM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 140 (32957 views)
Shortcut

The University has bought Bishopston RU too, and Ashley Down Old Boys RU and football nearby. Current state seems to be Bishopston will be moved back a bit and rotated but the Dings site goes for housing in 2 years time. Meanwhile some university sport is being played at Dings (I hope to watching an RL fixture on one of the outside pitches next Wed 2pm - weather permitting). I get frequent updates as Mrs Ciderjon works there, also on the Bristol Rovers new ground project as the University owns that too!

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 14, 2014, 12:01 AM

Post #12 of 140 (32690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ambitious Newent RFC, currently top of Gloucestershire Premier (Level 8) are hoping to move from the town's Recreation Ground into a new home of their own.
www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/search-new-home-continues-Newent-Rugby-Club/story-20253473-detail/story.html

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 15, 2014, 12:22 PM

Post #13 of 140 (32614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I assume this is linked to the development of The Avenue site in Lower Sunbury. It's been a long and rancorous process but they have finally got an amended application through the council

http://www.spelthorne.gov.uk/...don-Irish-Rugby-Club

It seems London Irish Wild Geese aim to be playing at Hazelwood from September, which makes 2013-14 their last season at The Avenue. I asked their press officer for a list of remaining first team games at Sunbury (a ground I've yet to visit) and, bizarrely, he sent me the away fixtures. By my reckoning, their outstanding National League Two South home games are:

Jan 25 Dings Crusaders (2pm)
Feb 8th Shelford (2.30pm)
Mar 1st Redruth (3pm)
Mar 22nd Canterbury (3pm)
April 5th Hartpury College (3pm)

I have other plans for Jan 25th and Mar 1st, so I'll head down there for one of the other three.

This was the chairman's New Year Statement (lifted from the club website):

A Happy New Year to all of you. 2014 promises to be one of the most momentous years in the history of London Irish. We will say goodbye to The Avenue and move to our new home down the road in Hazelwood. The new owners of the Pro Club will settle in and some of the significant changes required there will start to happen. The relationship between Pro and Amateur clubs will return to something akin to life pre professionalism and the London Irish family will look forward together with optimism.
Your Executive Committee are going to ask a lot of you this year. We will have all the end of an era celebrations and then the big move followed by a grand opening. Chris Kane is leading the efforts to get us safely to Hazelwood in as seamless a manner as possible. Please put your hands up when asked. If we all work together we can make this happen.
I hope you all have a wonderful break and come back renewed and refreshed for the New Year, next weekend.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jan 15, 2014, 12:37 PM)

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 15, 2014, 6:40 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #14 of 140 (32579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From the Pontypool website

"Pontypool RFC is disappointed to announce that Pontypool Park was subjected to a further act of vandalism earlier this evening.

The commentary and media section of the main stand has suffered significant fire damage as a result of a substantial fire emanating from a waste container.

The fire has since been extinguished fully and police have attended the scene.

This is the second arson attack that Pontypool Park has been subjected to in a matter of months, and Pontypool RFC will continue to communicate with Torfaen County Borough Council regarding this on-going situation".

jrev61

Jan 15, 2014, 8:10 PM

Post #15 of 140 (32566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I read in the Rugby paper a few weeks ago that Exmouth are planning to move to a new ground.

jrev61

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 27, 2014, 8:04 PM

Post #16 of 140 (32207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It was reported on this evening's 'Meridian Tonight' that London Welsh are to leave Oxford's Kassam Stadium and that they are hoping to move into and develop the former ground of Witney Town FC.

acmold

Jan 28, 2014, 10:16 AM

Post #17 of 140 (32156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
It was reported on this evening's 'Meridian Tonight' that London Welsh are to leave Oxford's Kassam Stadium and that they are hoping to move into and develop the former ground of Witney Town FC.

This is just a slight twist on an old story been going on for a year or so now. They want to move to the area and have been looking at sites in and around Oxford for a while. Not sure that a stadium big enough to house top division rugby would be allowed in Downs Road, they are top of the second tier. It was mooted a year or so ago they were going to take the ground over as their training headquarters and for the other teams to play on as it has two pitches.

Think the Kassam bit is like Oxford United down to the rental they have to pay. As an aside if they moved much further west they will end up in Wales, Witney is nearer the Welsh Border than London. It's nearest point is less than 50 miles from Downs Road.

Other stories say Downs Road is to be knocked down and turned into a Hotel for the adjoining Witney Lakes Resort which own the site.

AndyE
First Team Star

Jan 28, 2014, 1:15 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #18 of 140 (32132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is the Polythene Stadium, isn't it? Since London Welsh's main sponsor is a law firm, would that be renamed as the Legal (no longer Polythene) Stadium?

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 31, 2014, 10:41 PM

Post #19 of 140 (31984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sale Sharks are considering moving back to Edgeley Park. Despite the Salford stadium being 2 miles closer to Sale than Stockport their crowds are down with fans put off by queues on the M60 and lack of public transport links among many problems making it unviable financially to play there.
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25981348

acmold

Feb 1, 2014, 11:54 AM

Post #20 of 140 (31948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
This is the Polythene Stadium, isn't it? Since London Welsh's main sponsor is a law firm, would that be renamed as the Legal (no longer Polythene) Stadium?

Think it was something else after the Polythene bit think that died when they morphed from United to Town.

In recent years all at Downs Road, Town folded but Academy carried on. They folded and United formed, they morphed into Town who folded.

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 9, 2014, 8:51 AM

Post #21 of 140 (31662 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was at Victoria Rangers RL today played on a borrowed ground which was just a field by the River Aire but offered a lift to one of the players dads from the clubhouse where I needed to get directions

Anyway he advised me that Otley RU had sold thier ground and were likley to vacate this soon

Does anyone have any info on this. I have no idea of the accuracy but this is one of the best traditional grounds in the sport and a must visit. I have only looked through the entrance gates. Had I known this was possible even thirty mins earlier I would have diverted.

I did check this was Otley and not Harrogate as there move is well documented

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 9, 2014, 10:15 AM

Post #22 of 140 (31658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to the online version of the Wharfedale Observer, Otley's weekly newspaper, the club has sold "part of its training pitches" to a housing developer; not Cross Green itself. The land concerned is off Pool Road. I went to the Otley-Harrogate game just before Christmas, and there was no mention either in the programme or on the terraces about the ground having been sold.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Feb 9, 2014, 10:17 AM)

Prenton Pirate
Youth Team Star

Feb 11, 2014, 1:26 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, Widnes Vikings RL, Southport, Hibernian and many more

Post #23 of 140 (31539 views)
Shortcut

I hope news of Sale moving back to Stockport is true. It's a total nightmare to get to compared to Stockport, with links direct to Manchester. I used to attend a good few home games at Edgeley Park but have knocked Friday nights at the AJ Bell Stadium on the head after nightmare experiences trying to get there. If they persist with playing there it seems obvious to play home games on sunday, it would be much better all round.

(This post was edited by Prenton Pirate on Feb 11, 2014, 1:27 PM)

jrev61

Feb 11, 2014, 6:38 PM

Post #24 of 140 (31508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Prenton Pirate] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I hope news of Sale moving back to Stockport is true. It's a total nightmare to get to compared to Stockport, with links direct to Manchester. I used to attend a good few home games at Edgeley Park but have knocked Friday nights at the AJ Bell Stadium on the head after nightmare experiences trying to get there. If they persist with playing there it seems obvious to play home games on sunday, it would be much better all round.
Salford RL are playing on Sundays now, so there would be fixture clashes.

jrev61

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 12, 2014, 11:58 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #25 of 140 (31449 views)
Shortcut

Rotherham Titans are in talks about a grounshare with Mansfield Town FC from the start of next season should they gain promotion to the Premiership.Titans Clifton Lane ground only holds 2.500 and a 10.000 capacity is required for the top flight.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3