Grounds for concern - Rugby Union

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 12, 2014, 2:20 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #26 of 140 (9574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Rotherham Titans are in talks about a grounshare with Mansfield Town FC from the start of next season should they gain promotion to the Premiership.Titans Clifton Lane ground only holds 2.500 and a 10.000 capacity is required for the top flight.

Surely the unused and still standing Millmoor makes more sense, or is it that the rent demands are prohibitive? I would have thought that some income rather than none would help the owner, whoever that may be...

kirby knitters

Feb 12, 2014, 4:54 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #27 of 140 (9555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Theres a big scrap yard that cuts up old railway stock a name that i cant think of but im pretty sure they have something to do with Millmoor,it backs onto the ground.Surely someone on here knows of plans etc?

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 12, 2014, 7:02 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #28 of 140 (9535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Theres a big scrap yard that cuts up old railway stock a name that i cant think of but im pretty sure they have something to do with Millmoor,it backs onto the ground.Surely someone on here knows of plans etc?

The scrapyard is C.F. Booth (known commonly as Booth's). I'm sure he's the guy who owns Millmoor - and the fella Rotherham United FC could not reach agreement with over a new lease. Hence the move to the Don Valley. I'd be surprised if Rotherham RUFC went back to Millmoor: the pitch is well tended but the rest of the place (especially the half-complete new stand) is a mess.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Feb 12, 2014, 7:04 PM)

kirby knitters

Feb 12, 2014, 7:10 PM

Post #29 of 140 (9530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that FL,one question though, why is the pitch well tended?

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 12, 2014, 7:12 PM

Post #30 of 140 (9528 views)
Shortcut

I think it's something to do with a covenant. But I may be wrong.

kirby knitters

Feb 12, 2014, 7:16 PM

Post #31 of 140 (9523 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Very strange but what other reason could there possibly be.Thanks again.

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 22, 2014, 1:52 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #32 of 140 (9418 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Prenton Pirate] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I hope news of Sale moving back to Stockport is true. It's a total nightmare to get to compared to Stockport, with links direct to Manchester. I used to attend a good few home games at Edgeley Park but have knocked Friday nights at the AJ Bell Stadium on the head after nightmare experiences trying to get there. If they persist with playing there it seems obvious to play home games on sunday, it would be much better all round.

Trains to Patricroft, the nearest station, don't run on Sundays, so doesn't ease public transport problems. On Fridays, it's only one per hour, and it's a push to get last trains out to other locations by the time that gets to Manchester Victoria. If games kicked off at 7.30, then the 10pm train would be possible and no problem, but traffic for car drivers is then worse. It's also not far to walk to the Trafford Centre bus station to get to Stockport for example; or also possible to get a bus to Eccles and use Metrolink from there.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (956) Wellington 0-2 Exmouth Town
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
15/10 FC United v Basford United
16/10 Ashland Rovers v Underwood Villa
19/10 Atherton Collieries v FC United

onion_bag
Reserve Team Star

Feb 24, 2014, 6:49 PM

Post #33 of 140 (9346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FL will know the answer ...

I believe the "Scratching Shed" at Otley RUFC is being torn down any day now ? I also believe it is worth a visit and the backdrops are decent as well ?

Can you confirm this ?

http://onion-bag.blogspot.co.uk//
http://rugbyleaguegrounds.blogspot.co.uk/

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 24, 2014, 7:34 PM

Post #34 of 140 (9326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onion_bag] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
FL will know the answer ...

I believe the "Scratching Shed" at Otley RUFC is being torn down any day now ? I also believe it is worth a visit and the backdrops are decent as well ?

Can you confirm this ?

It appears to be true, unfortunately. The stand, located behind the Chevin End posts at Cross Green, was condemned recently following a structural survey recommended during the ground's annual West Yorkshire Fire Service inspection. The players run beneath the stand in getting to the pitch from the dressing rooms. It was built using timbers rescued from the original main stand when that was replaced in the mid-1930s. Roof contains asbestos, too, it would seem. Club secretary Marc Lawrence should be able to provide a demolition date. His mobile number and email address are on the Otley RUFC website. At this stage, it is uncertain what will happen to the terrace when the stand is removed. And, yes, the scenic views of the Chevin rising behind the stand are very fine.

Otley have three home league games left this season. I'd have thought it would make sense to leave the demolition until summer. They could close the stand and, in the meantime, maybe get the players to walk round the back and side of the stand to access the pitch. Home fixtures (all 3pm) remaining are Leicester Lions (March 1st), Luctonians (March 29th) and Hull (April 12th).

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Feb 24, 2014, 7:57 PM)

onion_bag
Reserve Team Star

Feb 24, 2014, 9:38 PM

Post #35 of 140 (9294 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Andy ,
I heard tonight (Via Marc) that they have already started to dismantle some of the stand , the rest is only a matter of days away.
I am intending to visit v Leicester Lions Smile.
Really looking forward to visiting a ground with such history. I hear in '79 they hosted the mighty All Blacks.

buncranaboy

Feb 24, 2014, 11:44 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #36 of 140 (9279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onion_bag] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Thanks Andy ,
I heard tonight (Via Marc) that they have already started to dismantle some of the stand , the rest is only a matter of days away.
Really looking forward to visiting a ground with such history. I hear in '79 they hosted the mighty All Blacks.

I went there for a Rugby World Cup game in October 1991 when Italy beat the USA 30-9 which preceded my visit to Guiseley.
23 years ago............sheesh Crazy

Loiner
First Team Star

Feb 25, 2014, 7:23 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #37 of 140 (9226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Thanks Andy ,

I went there for a Rugby World Cup game in October 1991 when Italy beat the USA 30-9 which preceded my visit to Guiseley.

I was in Otley this afternoon and had a look at Cross Green. The ground was locked and there was no sign of any activity in the demolition department.

onion_bag
Reserve Team Star

Mar 2, 2014, 2:30 PM

Post #38 of 140 (9087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Thanks Andy ,

I was in Otley this afternoon and had a look at Cross Green. The ground was locked and there was no sign of any activity in the demolition department.

I visited yesterday v Leicester LionsSmile , and it was superb. The people who are doing the demolition are the players as time permits in order to avoid expensive and rip off prices by third parties.
I think they only have 2 or 3 home games left this season. My advice would be to get there at the earliest moment.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 16, 2014, 4:35 PM

Post #39 of 140 (8898 views)
Shortcut

London Irish Wild Geese host a Farewell to the Avenue double-header on Saturday, 17th May. The club is leaving the Sunbury venue for new facilities close by at Hazelwood. At 2.30pm, the Wild Geese play an Invitation XV. Then, at 4.45pm, a London Irish Legends XV takes on a Topsy Ojo/Declan Danaher XV. Admission will be by souvenir programme, for which a donation is requested. There will be a lunch and post-match party.

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 16, 2014, 7:34 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #40 of 140 (8868 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, know very little about rugby union venues. Presumably this was the main London Irish venue before they went 'walkabouts'? Is it being built on, and are there any spectator facilities there?

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 16, 2014, 8:02 PM

Post #41 of 140 (8862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, it was the home of the 'original' London Irish. There is a decent-sized, modern-ish stand and a clubhouse. Ground held 6,600 in its heyday. I gather stand and clubhouse are to be demolished and 206 houses built on the site. London Irish Wild Geese have two home league games left - plus the farewell match in May. The new ground is on the site of a golf course.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 16, 2014, 8:04 PM)

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 16, 2014, 8:33 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #42 of 140 (8851 views)
Shortcut

Cheers. Much appreciated.

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

AndrewG
First Team Star

Mar 16, 2014, 8:39 PM

Team(s):

Post #43 of 140 (8846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Photo of the stand on this link http://www.london-irish-amateur.co.uk/club-house.html

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 24, 2014, 9:16 AM

Post #44 of 140 (8698 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A few shots from Saturday's (22/03/14) National Two South game at The Avenue, Sunbury, between London Irish Wild Geese and Canterbury (13-29). It's a cracking little set-up, run by friendly people. Just two games left now before the bulldozers advance: v divisional leaders Hartpury College (April 5th) and a celebratory ground-closing double-header (May 17th).

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 24, 2014, 9:20 AM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 26, 2014, 8:53 AM

Post #45 of 140 (8631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I thought it was about time we had a separate thread to post news on any rugby grounds under threat from the bulldozers. I'll set the ball rolling with Harrogate who are set to move from their current base at Claro Road near the town centre to their new ground at Rudding Lane on the South-Eastern edge of town in time for the start of next season.

An update: Harrogate's secretary tells me the first game at the new Rudding Lane ground will "probably" take place in mid-January 2015, which gives those who haven't visited Claro Road additional opportunities to do so. He says Gate will continue at their present ground "for the first part of next season".

Barnsley Dave
First Team Star

Apr 3, 2014, 7:50 AM

Team(s): Barnsley ,non league football,Yorkshire C.C, ,,wherever I lay my hat

Post #46 of 140 (8527 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
A few shots from Saturday's (22/03/14) National Two South game at The Avenue, Sunbury, between London Irish Wild Geese and Canterbury (13-29). It's a cracking little set-up, run by friendly people. Just two games left now before the bulldozers advance: v divisional leaders Hartpury College (April 5th) and a celebratory ground-closing double-header (May 17th).

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

and frequented quite regularly by Becky Mantin the ITV weather lady

(This post was edited by Barnsley Dave on Apr 3, 2014, 7:53 AM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2014, 11:09 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #47 of 140 (8336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barnsley Dave] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Old Elthamians, newly promoted to National League Two (South), are moving from their Foxbury Ground in Chislehurst to a new facility at College Meadow within the grounds of Eltham College in time for the start of next season. The cricket club, who play in Kent League Division 3, will also be moving here in 2015 when the new facilities are complete so anyone wishing to tick them at Foxbury has one last summer to do so.
oecc.hitsports.co.uk/news/default.aspx

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on May 29, 2014, 11:11 PM)

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 4, 2014, 4:49 PM

Post #48 of 140 (8159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looking up the Herefors United story on the local paper website I noted that Hereford Rugby which is on the riverbank near Hinton FC are moving out of town to a new site. Nothing started yet but planning permission is ok after high court hearing so I assume 12 months at least

Not been but walked past some time ago and tend to remember small stand

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 1, 2014, 5:21 PM

Post #49 of 140 (7868 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Grounds for concern - Rugby Union [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Harrogate, of National League Two North, report they're still on course to quit Claro Road in January 2015 for a new, seven-pitch complex at Rudding Lane.

Scheduled Claro Road fixtures to the end of December:

Sept 6th Stourbridge (3.0)
Sept 20th Caldy (3.0)
Oct 4th Otley (3.0)
Oct 18th Stockport (3.0)
Nov 1st Sedgley Park (2.0)
Nov 15th Preston Grasshoppers (2.0)
Nov 29th Chester (2.0)
Dec 6th Leicester Lions (2.0)
Dec 20th Huddersfield (2.0)

Potential 'openers' at Rudding Lane:

Jan 10th Hull (2.0)
Jan 24th Broadstreet (2.0)

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Sep 13, 2014, 8:36 PM

Post #50 of 140 (7698 views)
Shortcut

Stafford RUFCís ground at Castlefields (aka the County Ground) should be flagged up as an medium-term Ground for Concern.

As I understand it, the landlord, Lord Stafford (one Francis Fitzherbert, the 15th Baron Stafford, if Iíve got it right) wants the rugby club to move so the existing ground can be developed for housing. Although itís not a huge area, itís a prime site, given its proximity to the town centre. The Good Lord has apparently earmarked some land off the Doxey Road, again quite close to the town centre, for a brand new development, clubhouse, stand, and pitches complex. I think itís going to be somewhere at the back of the Timberland Road estate.

Anyway, they are cracking on with the planning, etc. and negotiating grants, according to the programme, and hope to be in their new home some time in 2015/16 (at the earliest). I would think thereís certainly at least one and possibly two seasons left at Castlefields; we all know how long these things take, i.e. Burton, Walsall Ö..Sly

http://www.staffordshirenewsletter.co.uk/...41-detail/story.html

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3