Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!!

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 13, 2014, 10:38 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #201 of 399 (12625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
watched by a handful of middle-aged spectators slumped in fold-up chairs.

Aren't you describing county cricket here ?

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 13, 2014, 10:40 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #202 of 399 (12623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another sport with an equally uncertain future!

The Moose
First Team Star

Apr 13, 2014, 10:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #203 of 399 (12616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

To be fair you make some valid points & I noted on Friday night, many of the attendance of 700 were on the more mature side shall we say, including me! It did make me wonder where the next generation is going to come from when my own offspring for example, have found many different ways of spending their income.

I'd like to think speedway will survive as for nine months of the year I'm obsessed with footy so during summer time it can offer you an enjoyable alternative team sport fix. I'll grant you it has a long way to go to catch up with catering, decent facilities in general i.e. any cover at all or seats in some of the smaller tracks like Plymouth or Somerset.

I have enjoyed places like Belle Vue, Workington & Glasgow where you get shabby chic tatty but appealing none the less. I was more intrigued by visiting a new track back then however than worry about whether it was keeping up with the times. Here's hoping there's still plenty of ramshackled places to enjoy some shale action in the next few decades or maybe that's just me being optimistic Wink

KRTM Cool

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Apr 15, 2014, 10:02 AM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #204 of 399 (12571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

By way of contrast amidst all the doom and gloom on here, I went to:

Saturday 13 April

Workington Comets 43 - 50 Edinburgh Monarchs, League Cup 2nd Leg. Adm 14, free 4 page colour programme (the only programme in three attempts and it was given away!!). Attendance c1,000 including probably over 100 from Edinburgh.

After the dross served up at the football we nipped back to our Hotel for a snack then out for this. Derwent Park is a superb old school stadium shared with Rugby League. For some reason I assume to be safety you can't get into the rows of terracing nearest the track for the bikes (although I have stood that close at other venues). Sadly, Workington were already well behind from leg one and despite winning the first heat the Monarchs, cheered on by their enthusiastic support had pretty much sewn it up by about Heat 5. However Comets did mount a fightback, winning four of 5 heats in the middle period. This featured some very good racing including Graczonek winning from last place with some fearless overtaking round the outside of this banked track. Monarchs top riders proved too good though and they ran out comfortable winners.

Despite being a dead rubber this was the most entertaining of the three sports we saw, and had by far the biggest crowd and best atmosphere. I do wonder though at the viability of a sport that relies so heavily on star riders from other clubs, both Howarth and Graaczonek were at Poole last night for example.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

(This post was edited by wishmaster3211 on Apr 15, 2014, 10:04 AM)

Jim S
Youth Team Star

Apr 15, 2014, 4:01 PM

Team(s):

Post #205 of 399 (12554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Workington Comets 43 - 50 Edinburgh Monarchs, League Cup 2nd Leg
This was not a second leg, it was a mini league fixture with Workington very much in contention to finish second in the group and with that a chance of a semi-final place.

TheLinnet
Youth Team Sub

Apr 17, 2014, 10:28 AM

Team(s): Ruislip Manor(RIP), Middlesex C.C.C. King's Lynn Stars

Post #206 of 399 (12517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We will be taking our fold up chairs to Mildenhall v Coventry (NL) on Easter Sunday 20th April 15:30

WE ATE'NT DEAD (with acknowledgement to the late great Terry Pratchett)
Last new ground (Football) - Emirates Stadium
Last new ground (Cricket) - Trent Bridge
Last new track (Speedway) - Buxton

The Moose
First Team Star

Apr 17, 2014, 9:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #207 of 399 (12490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheLinnet] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Personally I think the fact you can if you choose take your own furniture only adds to the pleasant quirkyness of the sport. I love some of the more ramshackled tracks as it reminds me of the day when footy grounds could have grass banks even in the league (i.e. old school Spotland). Some of the now defunct tracks were a sheer delight such as Carmarthen, Long Eaton or St. Austell for their sheer diversity in either crumbling terraces or lunar landscape scenery.

The more rustic the better sometimes & Lathallan in Scotland where a local farmer converted a field into a 'stadium' had a certain charm to it even if a tad basic. Rumours of the sports demise are somewhat premature if this weeks showing on sky is anything to go by. The Poole v Coventry fixture had all manner of overtaking going on and a terrific advert for speedway. Footy will always come first but the shale action makes for an enjoyable alternative. Apparently variety is the spice of a good curry!

KRTM Cool

Sportie
Junior Team Star

Apr 20, 2014, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Weymouth Sports FC

Post #208 of 399 (12445 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good Friday 18th April 2014

Poole 56 Swindon 34
British Elite League & Elite Shield 1st Leg

Admission 17 Adult Programme 3 48 pages Badge 4

Crowd bumper holiday crowd 2,500/ 3.000.

Surprise big win for the Pirates against their local rivals on a very warm sunny day.

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Apr 22, 2014, 7:50 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #209 of 399 (12398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sportie] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am having a week in Finland in early June, the football part is easy to plan but I wondered if anyone could point me to a Speedway fixtures website link for Finland as various web searches turn up nothing outside GP stuff. I know some posters on here have actually been to meets there, and have seen a couple of the tracks myself. Thanks in advance.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

mip
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 22, 2014, 10:03 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #210 of 399 (12390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I am having a week in Finland in early June, the football part is easy to plan but I wondered if anyone could point me to a Speedway fixtures website link for Finland as various web searches turn up nothing outside GP stuff. I know some posters on here have actually been to meets there, and have seen a couple of the tracks myself. Thanks in advance.

I find aktuellspeedway.se a good site for fixtures and results from many different countries.

Finland: http://www.aktuellspeedway.se/...liiga/resultat/2014/ There's also the Kaupunki Cup (2n level perhaps?) with a meeting early in June.

PaulC

Apr 22, 2014, 10:51 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #211 of 399 (12379 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

http://www.speedway.fi/kalenteri.php

bagman

Apr 30, 2014, 4:46 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #212 of 399 (12277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 30/04/2014

British Semi-Final, Rye House (7.30pm)

bagman

May 5, 2014, 11:34 AM

Post #213 of 399 (12223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 25 April 2014

Lakeside 56 v 38 Swindon

bagman

May 10, 2014, 10:16 AM

Post #214 of 399 (12137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 30/04/2014

British Semi-Final, Rye House (7.30pm)

Tai Woffinden 15 pts
Steve Boxall 11 pts
Lewis Blackbird 11 pts
Lewis Bridger 11 pts
Richard Lawson 11 pts

Woffinden provided a speedway masterclass at Rye House signalled his clear intent to retain his national tittle.

footiemug
Youth Team Sub

May 18, 2014, 12:35 AM

Team(s): Eastbourne teams

Post #215 of 399 (12089 views)
Shortcut

Sat 17th May 14

Rye House 52 V Sheffield 38
Premier League,
Admission 16,
Prog 2
Dead level up to heat 6 then sheffield went 2 up until heat 9 and then rye House pulled away
with three 5-1's.
Enjoyable night in t-shirt weather,but only one heat had any overtaking.

bagman

May 23, 2014, 10:29 AM

Post #216 of 399 (12033 views)
Shortcut
Re: [footiemug] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SOMERSET REBELS vs.
SHEFFIELD TIGERS
FRIDAY MAY 23 @ 7.30pm - PREMIER LEAGUE

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2014, 10:37 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #217 of 399 (11945 views)
Shortcut

Speedway has lost one of it's legends and greatest characters in the past week. MALCOLM SIMMONS has passed away at the age of 68 after suffering from emphysemia. His best years were at Poole Pirates for whom he scored over 2000 points between 1975-80. I remember lots of cars in the Poole area having 'Super Simmo' stickers on their back windscreens at the height of his fame.
http://www.poolepirates.co/news/malcolm-simmons-rip.html

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Jun 2, 2014, 11:35 AM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #218 of 399 (11870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [footiemug] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fri May 30th at the Oaktree Arena, Highbridge.
Premier League.
Somerset 55-35 Scunthorpe, att 700 ish (guess).
Admission 15:00, programme 2:00, 2014 badge 4:50.

On way home from weeks holiday in Devon/Dorset, my 3rd visit here, first since Prem League Pairs in 2010. Good, if rather, eventually one sided meeting, where the away team didn't really turn up, Josh Auty (No 1) and David Howe hardly bothering the scorers, so in essence Scunthorpe were a one man team, Klindt only scoring well.

Somerset shared the points around the team, with Olly Allen producing some very hard, almost dirty riding.

An enjoyable evening, and met up, unexpectedly with Reading Racers supporting friends (and family), John/Claire (Didcot) and Dan, Dan now living near Cullumpton.

IMO racing always pretty good at Highbridge.

PS: I can recommened the 'Crossways Inn'/West Huntspill, Somerset local pub of the year 2013, an excellent range of ales, good good, from 6pm. And double/ensuite with king size bed was 70 quid for the night, it's 2.5 miles from the track, so doable by cab if you dont drive.

2019-20 - 43 games, last Bris Rov v Bromley - 10/11, goals 140, avgpg 3.25, new grounds 12. Last - Harborough Town 26/10.
New Grounds in 2019 - 25. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1218.
RL Grounds - 34 (Last - Craven Park, Barrow - 8/9/19), Speedway Tracks 50.

(This post was edited by WestBerksPalace on Jun 2, 2014, 11:42 AM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2014, 11:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #219 of 399 (11778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thurs 5th June SWINDON ROBINS 48 LEICESTER LIONS 40

ADM 17 Parking 1.50 Prog 2.50 ATT 1,050 h/c

Full set of away tracks seen once again at the Abbey so job done. Leicester were a tad unlucky to get nought from the meeting & gave it a good go but look a bit lightweight on their promotion to the higher echelons. Always enjoy visits to Blunsdon as it reminds me of 70's style Southern League grounds. Glad to report shale action is alive & well in Moonraker country, with good racing & spectacular crashes (hope all are okay), speedway can still be a good night out!

KRTM Cool

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Jun 6, 2014, 9:38 AM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #220 of 399 (11761 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thurs 5th June SWINDON ROBINS 48 LEICESTER LIONS 40

ADM 17 Parking 1.50 Prog 2.50 ATT 1,050 h/c

Full set of away tracks seen once again at the Abbey so job done. Leicester were a tad unlucky to get nought from the meeting & gave it a good go but look a bit lightweight on their promotion to the higher echelons. Always enjoy visits to Blunsdon as it reminds me of 70's style Southern League grounds. Glad to report shale action is alive & well in Moonraker country, with good racing & spectacular crashes (hope all are okay), speedway can still be a good night out!

KRTM Cool

I was also at Swindon last night! My first visit for about 3 season, as generally the racing at Blunsdon is very processional. TBH last night was one of the better meetings I've seen there over the years. Even after a delay of 25 minutes after heat 4, after seperate horrific looking crashes that resulted in Dakota North/Nathan Greaves (both Swi) and Max Gregg (Leicester) retiring from the meeting.

Half way though it looked like when teams where tied, it looked like it could go to the wire, but Swindon banged in two 5-1s in heats 11 and 12 to swing the match their way.

Though still, Leicester could have got a match point, and a 1-2 defeat if they'd won the last heat 4-2. But it finished 3-3, with the superb rider of the night, the returning Jason Doyle winning that race.

Mention for Steve Worrall riding at reserve for Swindon, who because of Greaves injury took 7 rides, and won himself 14 paid 2 with some excellent riding.

Thoroughly enjoyed chatting to a Leicester fan from Nottingham, also a Long Eaton boy from the old days.

Thought the programme was pretty good. But charging one fifty for the car park is an absolute rip off, as at meetings end there are no stewards at all helping with getting the cars out the car park.

I will take in another meeting at Blunsdon this season though. 1,050, head count, did you really count the crowd?

2019-20 - 43 games, last Bris Rov v Bromley - 10/11, goals 140, avgpg 3.25, new grounds 12. Last - Harborough Town 26/10.
New Grounds in 2019 - 25. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1218.
RL Grounds - 34 (Last - Craven Park, Barrow - 8/9/19), Speedway Tracks 50.

sandhurstbee

Jun 6, 2014, 9:40 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #221 of 399 (11759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Speedway has lost one of it's legends and greatest characters in the past week. MALCOLM SIMMONS has passed away at the age of 68 after suffering from emphysemia. His best years were at Poole Pirates for whom he scored over 2000 points between 1975-80. I remember lots of cars in the Poole area having 'Super Simmo' stickers on their back windscreens at the height of his fame.
http://www.poolepirates.co/news/malcolm-simmons-rip.html

That is a great shame. I remember him more Pre Poole days when he formed a formidable challenge alongside Terry Betts at Kings Lynn.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

The Moose
First Team Star

Jun 6, 2014, 5:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #222 of 399 (11727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Never easy to count the crowd at the greyhound style speedway tracks as there's always a few hiding in the tote bars and restaurant. Only place you couldn't walk through was the restaurant unless you're a diner. That said Swindon tend to get around the 1,200 mark in recent years for bread and butter fixtures. I thought it was a tad down on that but happy to sit corrected! Considering there's nought else along the M4 corridor these days (in either direction) tiz a shame they can't get a few more. Good to see Leicester back in action, it's many a moon since I went to the old Blackbird Road track!

KRTM Cool

TheLinnet
Youth Team Sub

Jun 14, 2014, 10:48 AM

Team(s): Ruislip Manor(RIP), Middlesex C.C.C. King's Lynn Stars

Post #223 of 399 (11585 views)
Shortcut
Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 15th June National League pairs @ Mildenhall 3:30pm

....and a belated RIP SIMMO !

WE ATE'NT DEAD (with acknowledgement to the late great Terry Pratchett)
Last new ground (Football) - Emirates Stadium
Last new ground (Cricket) - Trent Bridge
Last new track (Speedway) - Buxton

(This post was edited by TheLinnet on Jun 14, 2014, 10:49 AM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Jun 19, 2014, 9:29 PM

Team(s):

Post #224 of 399 (11461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheLinnet] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Weds 19th June - Elite Lge: POOLE PIRATES 59 LEICESTER LIONS 34

ADM: 17 PROG: 3 ATT: h/c 1,250

My OCD tendencies can rest easy again with all possible away sides now seen at Swindon, Poole, Somerset & at defunct tracks Exeter & Weymouth. So then I can now go when I choose to rather than 'have' to. With all tracks in the UK also already visited it could be a while before I go again but time will tell.

If I'm honest it wasn't the best meeting I've ever seen but then with the Lions struggling on their return to higher echelons it didn't surprise me. Only two heats went the way of the away team so that tells its own story. The young Oz, Darcy Ward seems invincible around Wimborne Road & Poole won comfortably on the night. Crowd was down on recent years so maybe people are either becoming blase about winning most seasons or it was a case of world cup itis keeping folk away.

KRTM Cool

buncranaboy

Jul 13, 2014, 5:15 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #225 of 399 (11215 views)
Shortcut

Sat 12th July - British GP @ Millennium Stadium. Admission 30. Programme 10 Attendance 45,000 est
Winner : Hancock; 2nd Woffinden; 3rd Ward 4th Kasprczak

A most enjoyable day in Cardiff, easily accessed by parking up at Cwmbran station and letting the train take the strain. Around 50,000 were expected and it certainly looked a bigger attendance than last year.
A better track too, though not enough overtaking. Greg Hancock scored only 2 from his first two rides but, as he does, bucked up and went on to win the final though Woffinden actually scored higher and jumps back into the lead by three in the cumulative standings.
Pre-match pints and excellent gammon meal at Y Mochyn Du next to Sophia Gardens,a few minutes walk away. All very smoothly run and back in my local for 22.15 having caught the 20.10 out of Cardiff with no issues.
It would be churlish not to mention the myriad eastern European beauties spotted in and around the stadium......

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3