Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Sports presenters mistakes

First page Previous page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

thowdreds
Youth Team Star

May 6, 2014, 9:57 AM

Team(s): Accrington Stanley, Blackburn Rovers, BurnleyLeicester City, Halesowen Town

Post #376 of 1111 (32474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fatboyfat] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Football League specifically planned Newport County v Accrington Stanley as one of the opening matches of last season to be part of their 125 year celebration as being two clubs who had managed to return to the league. We can argue all we like about continued identity or otherwise but have to accept that unless the clubs are forced to have very different names from their original ones the world, including it would seem the football authorities, will continue to see things that way.

Fatboyfat
Reserve Team Star

May 6, 2014, 11:35 AM

Post #377 of 1111 (32463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thowdreds] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The Football League specifically planned Newport County v Accrington Stanley as one of the opening matches of last season to be part of their 125 year celebration as being two clubs who had managed to return to the league. We can argue all we like about continued identity or otherwise but have to accept that unless the clubs are forced to have very different names from their original ones the world, including it would seem the football authorities, will continue to see things that way.

Your comments are very true, thowdreds. Do we assume, then, that the Football League arranged for matches in their 125 year celebrations to feature towns/cities that had founder members of the league, rather than clubs themselves?

I see that you are an Accrington Stanley fan, so you will know that the original members of the league were Accrington FC and not Accrington Stanley at all. Accrington left the league in 1893 and folded in 1896, with the old Accrington Stanley team not joining the league until 1921.

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

May 6, 2014, 12:13 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #378 of 1111 (32457 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
The clueless Kelly Cates on five live just announced that Manchester City are top of the leagueCrazy

I only found out recently that she is Kenny Dalglish's daughter, presumably that's how she got the job?

Quite possibly, but it's hardly uncommon for commentators and pundits to have no idea what's going on.

I don't know what you listen too but I'd have to say most do a decent enough job in my opinion

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 25, 2014, 3:51 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #379 of 1111 (32314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

OK it's not football but 5 Live's summariser at the Heineken Cup Final in Cardiff was waxing lyrical about the strength of today's winners Toulon. "They have become the first side to win back-to-back Heineken Cups since Leinster did it in 2011 and 2012" he gushed.
So then, the first team to win consecutive titles since the previous winners Crazy

zebedee
First Team Star

May 25, 2014, 10:31 AM

Team(s): Southport

Post #380 of 1111 (32284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure I heard Steve Gerrard describe the Champions League as the biggest trophy that you can win domestically.

jrev61

May 26, 2014, 1:30 PM

Team(s): None

Post #381 of 1111 (32207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The commentator for today's Australia v.South Africa match referred to a player who plays his football for Bayer Leverkusen in Australia!
Also I saw a bit of the official FIFA film of the 1954 World Cup. It started with the France v. Yugoslavia game. They showed Yugoslavia kicking off then losing possession. The commentator said 'And France fought back'. This seemed a little odd for the first few seconds of a game, especially as the commentary must have been added long after the match, rather than being 'spur of the moment'.

jrev61

PaulC

May 26, 2014, 4:55 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #382 of 1111 (32172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

$ky $ports commentator just now "Fleetwood Town, from near parks football ..."

(This post was edited by PaulC on May 26, 2014, 5:08 PM)

paulh66

May 26, 2014, 4:57 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #383 of 1111 (32169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

... and ten promotions in six seasons!

PaulC

May 26, 2014, 7:26 PM

Post #384 of 1111 (32144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

and played in the "North Counties League"

Fanatic
First Team Star

May 26, 2014, 7:51 PM

Team(s):

Post #385 of 1111 (32131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
$ky $ports commentator just now "Fleetwood Town, from near parks football ..."

I didn't really see what was wrong with that comment. Step 7 is parks football in several parts of the country.

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 26, 2014, 7:55 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #386 of 1111 (32130 views)
Shortcut

Even the FA can't get the names of the leagues correct:

http://www.thefa.com/news/2014/may/ban-on-betting-passed-by-fa-shareholders

Included within the worldwide prohibition ratified by The FA shareholders’ 111th Annual General Meeting at Wembley Stadium on Wednesday are all those involved in the game at Premier League, Football League and Football Conference levels, as well as the top two divisions in each of the Northern, Southern and Isthmian leagues.

PaulC

May 26, 2014, 8:28 PM

Post #387 of 1111 (32111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When did they play at Step 7?

Fanatic
First Team Star

May 26, 2014, 8:59 PM

Team(s):

Post #388 of 1111 (32092 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
When did they play at Step 7?

I didn't say they'd played at Step 7. The clear inference for me (given the context of those words in the flow of commentary) was that the club had come from the level above parks football.

(i.e. "near parks football" is not "parks football").

PaulC

May 26, 2014, 9:32 PM

Post #389 of 1111 (32076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oh well maybe. Not many "parks" in West Lancs League though.

buncranaboy

May 27, 2014, 12:54 PM

Post #390 of 1111 (32021 views)
Shortcut

Given all the hullaballoo over Gateshead's "possible return to the football league" which was eventually scuppered by Cambridge, did Manish make a mistake in last night's highlights when he said that this was Fleetwood Town's first trip to Wembley?
I was there for the Halesowen v Fleetwood Vase Final in 1985 when 16,715 attended - significantly up on yesterday's attendance by the way. I know the club have folded twice since then - something I'm pretty sure Manish would not have been aware of...........or was he, the cunning little scallywag?

Ropemaker

May 28, 2014, 5:05 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #391 of 1111 (31957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not a mistake as such but Garth Crooks said on the FL Show that he couldn't understand why Steve Evans divided opinions so much. Shocked

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

zebedee
First Team Star

May 28, 2014, 7:00 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #392 of 1111 (31943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not a mistake as such but Garth Crooks said on the FL Show that he couldn't understand why Steve Evans divided opinions so much. Shocked

To be honest I struggle to see why some people like him as well.

Isaac

May 28, 2014, 7:16 PM

Post #393 of 1111 (31936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

So do I but in fairness he was very gracious in the post match interview after the play off final.

scottywalds
First Team Star

May 28, 2014, 9:13 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #394 of 1111 (31919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

So do I but in fairness he was very gracious in the post match interview after the play off final.

Anybody can say stuff like that. It was probably planned months in advance, and written by a scriptwriter.

buncranaboy

May 29, 2014, 1:23 AM

Post #395 of 1111 (31892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I thought it was Leroy Rosenior. I'm not adding anything...............

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on May 29, 2014, 12:57 PM)

Isaac

May 29, 2014, 8:25 AM

Post #396 of 1111 (31869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Anybody can say stuff like that. It was probably planned months in advance, and written by a scriptwriter.

I doubt it, they wouldn't have known months in advance that Rotherham would play Orient in the play off final and that Wolves and Brentford would be promoted.............or is match fixing more widespread than was realised?

(This post was edited by Isaac on May 29, 2014, 8:31 AM)

scottywalds
First Team Star

May 31, 2014, 2:11 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #397 of 1111 (31749 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I doubt it, they wouldn't have known months in advance that Rotherham would play Orient in the play off final and that Wolves and Brentford would be promoted.............or is match fixing more widespread than was realised?

The team names could have been interchanged.

sandhurstbee

Jun 1, 2014, 5:19 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #398 of 1111 (31667 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I doubt it, they wouldn't have known months in advance that Rotherham would play Orient in the play off final and that Wolves and Brentford would be promoted..............

I Did Tongue

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

KnowYourMarket

Jun 5, 2014, 10:53 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #399 of 1111 (31515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On ITV's current World Cup competition, part of the prize is "we'll put you up for 2 nights with accommodation". If I'm being "put up" for 2 nights I'm expecting to get some accommodation, or can you be "put up" without accommodationCrazy

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on Jun 5, 2014, 10:55 AM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 7, 2014, 12:40 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #400 of 1111 (31417 views)
Shortcut

Vassos Alexander, who presents the sports news on Chris Evans Breakfast Show on Radio 2 announced in his bulletin on Thursday that 'London Welsh have secured an immediate return to the Premiership by beating Bristol in a play-off which means BRISTOL, I'M AFRAID, HAVE BEEN RELEGATED!'
Those who follow rugby will know that they haven't been relegated, just missed out on promotion again. You can still listen to this until next Thursday while it's on the BBCi player about 1 hour 20 minutes into the programme.

First page Previous page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3