Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 6, 2014, 8:13 PM

Post #1 of 53 (6006 views)
Shortcut
Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving Can't Post or

Today I saw some of the worst driving I have ever seen.

1, Going down the M4 between the Chippenham and Bath turnings there was a lorry sat in the middle lane doing about 55mph. The women behind it in a grey car decided she had had enough of him and decided to undertake. As she got level to the back of the lorry it deliberately swerved into the first lane to block her. I am not sure if it clipped her but she braked hard and got into a spin at one point she was about 15 yards in front of me facing the wrong way in lane two. I was lucky and managed to swerve while braking into lane one to avoid her, as did the following cars. The lorry just went on it's merry way. My two passengers were rather shaken up and were pleased with the avoiding action. Not sure who was most to blame think lorry 75% lady 25%. One thing that did come out of it was one of my passengers who for many years had thought there was nothing wrong with middle lane sitters despite me saying they are an accident waiting to happen actually said I see what you mean.

2. After exiting the M4 at the Bath junction I went onto the A420 down the steep hill into Wick. I was third in a queue the first car a small rad thing managed to go 25mph all the way down the hill in what appeared to be a deliberate attempt to hold up the large BMW behind him. When we entered the 30mph zone in Wick he slowed down to 15mph, before speeding up to 40mph. As we left the 30mph zone he dropped his speed to 20mph again. The relief of one of my passengers when he went straight on and we turned left.

3. On the way home I turned off the A34 at Chilton as I was dropping my passengers off in Didcot. As we entered West Hagbourne we came across another small red car doing about 15mph. Every time a car came towards him he applied the brakes. In the space of the two miles from Hagbourne to Didcot he indicated to go left three times but never did so, and on one occasion hit the bank at the side of the road with such force it almost looked though he had buckled his wheel.

Another of my passengers said maybe they ought to make the driving test harder, I said it's not those that have passed recently that are the problem it's those who passed years ago that are. We really need a some sort of top up on driving skills every ten or so years, also it is quite clear many drivers have sight problems certainly in the dark and eye tests should be made compulsory for drivers. I had problems with my eyes and I know when someone brakes when they see an on coming vehicle at night they either have the onset of cataracts or have a stigmatism / blurred vision. I have also noticed how many drivers don't move at roundabouts until they can see a car coming, it appears to me that many have such bad sight that if they cannot see a light they don't move as they are not sure if the road is clear, if they see a light in the distance they think they have time to move.

Isaac

Dec 6, 2014, 10:04 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #2 of 53 (5963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saw a corker today. Silly tart driving through Snodland so busy looking at her phone she didn't see the police car coming towards her. As I went past later on I saw her car departing on a tow truck, presumably no insurance either? Hopefully one less idiot on the road

(This post was edited by Isaac on Dec 6, 2014, 10:05 PM)

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 7, 2014, 6:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 53 (5861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I get really annoyed at the sheer number of faulty car headlights around. Every one of them is a potential MOT fail. The worst is when one broken light is stuck on half beam but the other is dazzling on full beam.

acmold

Dec 8, 2014, 10:15 AM

Post #4 of 53 (5783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aiwa] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or

Those people who don't know how to turn their fog lamps on and off. I once had to do it for a women who said it had been for at least three months since she had purchased the car.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 8, 2014, 12:56 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #5 of 53 (5747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aiwa] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I get really annoyed at the sheer number of faulty car headlights around.

What really annoys me is that they are so difficult to change. My previous car was a Renault. When a headlamp went I consulted the manual to see how to change it and it instructed me to take the car to my local dealership. How useful is that when you notice that it has failed in the middle of the night and you have dutifully kept a spare set of bulbs in your glovebox Mad? Surely a simple, universal, clip-in, clip-out system should be possible to create in this day and age or might that hit profit margins a little to much? Rant over.

Isaac

Dec 8, 2014, 2:13 PM

Post #6 of 53 (5724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
I get really annoyed at the sheer number of faulty car headlights around.

What really annoys me is that they are so difficult to change. My previous car was a Renault. When a headlamp went I consulted the manual to see how to change it and it instructed me to take the car to my local dealership. How useful is that when you notice that it has failed in the middle of the night and you have dutifully kept a spare set of bulbs in your glovebox Mad? Surely a simple, universal, clip-in, clip-out system should be possible to create in this day and age or might that hit profit margins a little to much? Rant over.

I totally agree with you about that, just the motor industry looking after their own interests or am I bring too cynical. One garage tried to charge me £10 labour for replacing a bulb for an MOT but I refused to pay it. Halfords 'we fit' service is quite reasonable but obviously not much use in the middle of the night.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 8, 2014, 2:26 PM

Post #7 of 53 (5715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good grief, Isaac, that's two things we have agreed about today. However I am feeling a little under the weather. I am sure normal service will be resumed shortly. Smile

acmold

Dec 9, 2014, 12:57 PM

Post #8 of 53 (5617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or

For the last two years when my car has come back from service I get a message within a few days to say the oil needs changing, which of course it had been done in the service - I did check. I was quite shocked even horrified when I Googled the problem that there was a very simple way to reset the computer on the car and in doing so delete the message. I wonder how many do this without actually servicing the car properly. These messages have nothing to do with what has actually happened to the car they just come on one year or 15,000 miles (which ever is first) after the last time the computer was reset.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Dec 9, 2014, 9:10 PM

Post #9 of 53 (5555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Two things to add to this item -
Firstly, on a two lane motorway today I followed a 17.5 tonne in the fast lane for three miles as it attempted to overtake a car in the slow lane; both were doing 65 mph at the time.
Secondly, after the first cold night following a service I know that my car will not start because it has a warning notice flash up on the screen "engine overheating". Three trips to the garage courtesy of the AA for a new temperature sensor to be fitted have brought the response each time that "I have never known a temperature sensor fail on your model", whereupon I tell the bloke behind the service counter to check his records on my vehicle for the previous Novembers.

acmold

Dec 11, 2014, 12:00 PM

Post #10 of 53 (5469 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or

Yesterday A34 southbound at the Chilton junction, a wide load consisting of 8 to 10 lorries and a couple of support vehicles (from Harwell?) came straight onto the inside lane without waiting for a space forcing everyone out into the 2nd lane. A young women in the 2nd lane about 150 to 200 yards back instead of letting everyone come into the 2nd lane just put her foot down (to about 80mph plus) and started flashing here lights at all and sundry. I managed to get into the 2nd lane and was a good 100 yards plus in front of her it still did not stop her coming right up to the back of my car. Once clear I let her pass, she them proceeded to sit in the 2nd lane at 65mph.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 11, 2014, 4:06 PM

Post #11 of 53 (5426 views)
Shortcut

On Monday evening I was behind a car that was following an ambulance with blue lights on up a slip road. The car was weaving left and right desperately trying to overtake the ambulance. If that was not stupid enough the traffic lights at the top of the slip road were red.

PaulC

Dec 12, 2014, 2:42 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #12 of 53 (5348 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
A young women in the 2nd lane about 150 to 200 yards back instead of letting everyone come into the 2nd lane just put her foot down (to about 80mph plus) and started flashing here lights at all and sundry. I managed to get into the 2nd lane and was a good 100 yards plus in front of her it still did not stop her coming right up to the back of my car.

Shame on you for not deliberately slowing down as she approached,

Isaac

Dec 12, 2014, 3:38 PM

Post #13 of 53 (5330 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
A young women in the 2nd lane about 150 to 200 yards back instead of letting everyone come into the 2nd lane just put her foot down (to about 80mph plus) and started flashing here lights at all and sundry. I managed to get into the 2nd lane and was a good 100 yards plus in front of her it still did not stop her coming right up to the back of my car.

Shame on you for not deliberately slowing down as she approached,

I think that's called a crash for cashShocked

windydcfc

Dec 12, 2014, 4:27 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #14 of 53 (5314 views)
Shortcut

A few months ago I was travelling North up the A1 and a few miles before it becomes the A1M at Ferrybridge. Their was a bit of a traffic jam and the speed never got higher than 40mph. A dickhead was doing exactly the same as acmold posted. He was flashing everyone in the 2nd lane to move out of his way, even though both lanes were chocker block and the speed never got above 40mph and their was only 2 car widths between each car. He eventually got behind me and I wasn't moving out the way for him. Even though he was being very persistant with his flashing lights/fist waving/wanker signs/tailgaiting as close as he could. I still wouldn't move out the way for him. In the end their was a small gap between 2 lorries on the inside lane and he decided to undertake me and then pushed his car in front of the car in front of me. Nearly causing that car, his car and the lorry to crash. Just so he could be 2 cars in front of me and this situation didn't change until the A1 turned into 3 lanes at Ferrybridge and he then decided to do 120mph+.

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Dec 12, 2014, 5:08 PM)

sandhurstbee

Dec 12, 2014, 4:41 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #15 of 53 (5310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Twice in the past couple of days I have seen cars stop randomly by a Zebra Crossing to pick up and drop off passengers regardless of the traffic behind them.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 13, 2014, 9:13 AM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #16 of 53 (5247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I saw someone doing that, near but not at a crossing last night. They were also not in the left hand lane of two either so got out into the middle of the carriageway.

Still not the worst I saw though. Shortly before midnight there was someone driving on the M4 between J4b and J5 who didn't have any lights on.

Isaac

Dec 13, 2014, 10:10 AM

Post #17 of 53 (5244 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I saw someone doing that, near but not at a crossing last night. They were also not in the left hand lane of two either so got out into the middle of the carriageway.

Still not the worst I saw though. Shortly before midnight there was someone driving on the M4 between J4b and J5 who didn't have any lights on.

In fairness I suspect we've all forgotten to put our lights on at sometime?

People failing to use indicators when appropriate are the cause of most annoyance, I mean how difficult is it?

acmold

Dec 13, 2014, 10:32 AM

Post #18 of 53 (5228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

In fairness I suspect we've all forgotten to put our lights on at sometime?

People failing to use indicators when appropriate are the cause of most annoyance, I mean how difficult is it?

At times around here I reckon 75% of vehicles don't have indicators, at most roundabouts it's a lottery when those who do indicate often have the wrong one on. Also give way to your right seems to elude most people in this neck of the woods.

The other day I was in my road, it's a shared private one leading onto a main road. I got to the end and some bloke was reversing into it, I blew my horn as he had failed to notice I was stationary behind him. He then started ranting and raving wanting me to reverse down my private road so he could do a U turn. When he attempt the U turn he had forgot to take into account the numerous parked cars and ended up blocking the whole road for 10 seconds. He was still ranting when I drove off as I had to move so others could use the end of my private road to get past him. One old boy in one car just looked and me and pointed at the U turner and made various hand gestures!.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 13, 2014, 7:23 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #19 of 53 (5167 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
When he attempt the U turn he had forgot to take into account the numerous parked cars and ended up blocking the whole road for 10 seconds. He was still ranting when I drove off as I had to move so others could use the end of my private road to get past him. One old boy in one car just looked and me and pointed at the U turner and made various hand gestures!.

He blocked the road for ten seconds? What a git!

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 13, 2014, 10:23 PM

Post #20 of 53 (5135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Please .... this is a private road in Oxford and 10 seconds of someones time who lives there must be the equivalent of at least 10 minutes of the time of lesser mortals.

acmold

Dec 14, 2014, 1:59 PM

Post #21 of 53 (4975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

Please .... this is a private road in Oxford and 10 seconds of someones time who lives there must be the equivalent of at least 10 minutes of the time of lesser mortals.

He blocked the public road while executing his 5 point turn.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 15, 2014, 8:51 AM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #22 of 53 (4850 views)
Shortcut

The word I find myself muttering time and again at bad drivers is "oblivious" - very often they're driving smoothly and not fast, but have just forgotten anyone else is on / near the road.

I've had craash for cash tried on me twice (overtaking me then brakes slammed on, in old cars) - A34 and somewhere round near Ashford Middlesex where the road's 3 lanes at lights then very quickly back to 2.

I passed the IAM exam out of curiosity a few years back (learnt a bit about cornering and observation) - no you don't get better insurance premiums. As an ex-rep (including in France) I can drive like a total arsehole on occasions but these are rare(ish...) Concentrate anticipate tolerate eh?

jon b
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2014, 1:56 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #23 of 53 (4782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The funniest piece of bad driving I've encountered this year was when driving through the Chatsworth Estate a few months back.

The Estate is certainly scenic, with a fine view of the Duke of Devonshire's rather big detached house, but you have to be wary of animals wandering across the road as loads of sheep and deer display a total lack of knowledge of the green cross code....where's Tufty when you need him?!

After several instances of slowing down to avoid having extra woolly passengers travelling on the car bonnet I suddenly realised that the patience of the guy behind had snapped and he was overtaking. The problem was that he chose just about the worst possible spot where unbroken double white lines began in the middle of the road coupled with a bend in the road ahead.

As he charged past I caught a glimpse of an oncoming vehicle rounding the bend. I rapidly swung as far left as possible and pulled up. The oncoming vehicle also did an emergency stop and had a very up close and personal view of the overtaker as he desperately tried to pull back to his side of the road.

The overtaker missed becoming an ex-overtaker by inches. The driver of the oncoming vehicle looked at me and me at him. We both spread our hands and shook our heads. The overtaker pulled up about 50 yards further on. When he'd so nearly come in contact with the oncoming vehicle he'd had a nice close up view of the word POLICE emblazoned all over it. No doubt he expected the local Plod to want to discuss his driving skills with him. I reckon however that they thought him frightening himself to death was sufficient.

We started up again and found it vastly amusing just how slow and steadily the overtaker now drove as we covered the miles to Owler Bar. No doubt thinking that at any moment he'd see Derbyshire Constabulary in his rear view mirror.

acmold

Dec 15, 2014, 4:53 PM

Post #24 of 53 (4747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Middle Lane Sitters and Bad Drving [In reply to] Can't Post or

On Saturday I was queuing to get onto the Eastern Bypass at the Rose Hill Roundabout end of my road - I was 6th or 7th in queue, a car coming from the Heyford Hill direction (my right) indicated to turn left into my road and was in the correct lane to do so. The first 2 or 3 cars in the queue in my road proceeded forward onto the roundabout only to find the car was not turning left but was going straight on. He was flashing his lights, sounding his horn and braking hard as well as still indicating left!.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 15, 2014, 8:30 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #25 of 53 (4686 views)
Shortcut

On Saturday I was driving along the M56, heading for Manchester. At one point I was in the outside lane, about to overtake a car that was in the middle lane. I should point out that was doing 70mph, with cruise control on. A car came right up behind me, flashing his lights and gesturing for me to get out of the way. I was overtaking - what did he expect me to do? Slow down and pull in so that he could get past? I just waved and smiled, then carried on and pulled in after I had overtaken the car. The nobhead gave me verbals as he overtook, then swerved into the middle lane in front of me and braked. He then drove at about 62mph for the next couple of miles in the middle lane. Can't have been in that much of a hurry after all. I would really love to have had a conversation with him, so that he could explain just what exactly I was doing wrong, and why it merited what he then did. The cock.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3