Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!!

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next page Last page  View All

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Jul 7, 2015, 1:40 AM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #251 of 399 (12535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
British GP @ Millennium Stadium : 1 Iversen; 2 Holder; 3 Kildemand; 4 Woffinden. Admission £19 (advance concession). Programme £10. Attendance 45,000 est

Another enjoyable day out in Cardiff at Speedway's showpiece event. The track was better than in previous years though the gate advantages were biased so much in favour of those starting from gate 1 - winning gate stats were 16-4-3-0 that it was a surprise to see Niels Kristien Iversen swoop round Chris Holder to take a fine win although Woffinden was the main beneficiary of the evening, extending his lead in the GP series.
KYM picked me up and we lost time on clogged motorways, missing our intended departure from Cwmbran. The delay gave us time to stodge up on the fodder from the excellent station cafe before a well-spent hour or so at The Urban Tap House, right outside the stadium. Within about 200 yards are a number of fine beer establishments - Zero Degrees, the Tiny Rebel house we were in and The City Arms amongst others. There's also a spoons up the road.
As anyone who's been will know, the stadium is perfectly located
across the road from the station though this results in having to queue outside to be allowed in for your return train. We were prevented from getting the 20.10 so had to stand in line until the 20.55 departure with the journey home broken by a stop at the bucolic Clytha Arms.

You won't be surprised that I also attended this, although arrogantly as a guest of the brand owners: so a free starting line seat, although no prawn sandwiches to be seen anywhere. Usually I would include Zero Degrees and Urban Tap amongst my watering holes, but we stayed loyal to The Cottage in spite of a less varied beer choice. 12 pints later we finished at the Black Lion Radyr near where we stayed for a top up. Glad it wasn't one of my low calorie days.

I felt the track was excellent and in spite of the numerical inside gate advantage riders were battling from the outside with several repasses denying more points from those gates. Shame about Tai but he pulled away from his nearest rivals in the standings so job done.

Tickets already on sale for next year. I would recommend a visit to anyone as it is a comparatively cheap night out for a major sporting occasion. Although the doom-mongers on the speedway forum would have you think otherwise it really takes the sport to another level when you are there live. I went to South Wales Scorpions v Gloucester All Golds on my way home and overheard a home supporter, in the clubhouse before the game, telling his friend he had done it for the first time and how he was already looking forward to next year, urging his friend to beg, steal or borrow to get a ticket. A good reference.

Just one thing, Buncranaboy an elderly concession? Surely some mistake or positive proof that drinking is good for you.

AngelicAngelic

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 7, 2015, 8:48 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #252 of 399 (12484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Just one thing, Buncranaboy an elderly concession? Surely some mistake or positive proof that drinking is good for you.

AngelicAngelic

I normally go with a chap who is a genuine concession but his missus booked their holiday for just the wrong week (not happy!)
After last year when I noticed there was no human check on tickets with them only being scanned electronically, I thought why not? More worryingly, KYM also got in on a concession and he has the best part of 20 years to go Cool

I'll be there next year, again as a concession, though with a bit more justification this time as the first digit of my age will have ticked over by then Crazy

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Jul 8, 2015, 12:42 AM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #253 of 399 (12449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

AngelicAngelic

I normally go with a chap who is a genuine concession but his missus booked their holiday for just the wrong week (not happy!)
After last year when I noticed there was no human check on tickets with them only being scanned electronically, I thought why not? More worryingly, KYM also got in on a concession and he has the best part of 20 years to go Cool

I'll be there next year, again as a concession, though with a bit more justification this time as the first digit of my age will have ticked over by then Crazy

Bugger. I'd hoped to say how good you looked on the ale to justify my own habits. Back to the drawing board. You've probably seen, it is being held on 9th July next year with prices still at the same level. Must be touching 10 years with no price increase by then. Great value I'll be there.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 8, 2015, 8:01 AM

Post #254 of 399 (12419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or

When I went to Brighton recently I purchased a adult ticket and a concession the tickets did not state which was which and when I asked a steward by the automatic turnstile he said don't worry just scan them. Seem to recall the same thing at Colchester a few years ago and I think at Barnet a couple of seasons ago where at the latter you printed them yourself or had them on your smart phone. Presume it happens at many places these days, if stewards had to look at every ticket you may as well go back to having turnstile operators.

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 10, 2015, 12:05 AM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #255 of 399 (12328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thursday 9 July 2015
Ipswich 58 Rye House Rockets 35
Admission £16
Programme £2.50

The meeting was supposed to start at 7.30pm but by 8.05pm only one heat had taken place. It sort of set the tone for the evening. An event that lacked any atmosphere and at times dragged.

Decent programme was available but the food on offer was poor. There is a good choice but the quality is leaves a lot to be desired.

There is plenty of seating on the back straight with two large temporary stands in place. I guess this is for the Stock Car racing and not for the speedway.

martin55
First Team Sub

Jul 27, 2015, 11:17 AM

Team(s):

Post #256 of 399 (12070 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Finally got to a meeting at my last track to visit. Unfortunately it didn’t quite get to the full conclusion.

Glasgow Tigers v Peterborough Panthers 31 – 29

Abandoned after heat 10 (result stands) due to deteriorating track conditions in the persistent, though not too heavy, rain.

I like what they have done to the stadium, a lot of money has been put into it to provided excellent spectator facilities. The banking on the track makes for a different perspective to the racing as well.

Admission £15, Prog £2.50

Can you remember who you were, before they told you who you should be?

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 31, 2015, 7:58 AM

Post #257 of 399 (11987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [martin55] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ipswich 59 Scunthorpe 33

First speedway meeting for two years and first visit to this venue for over 20. I remember the track beinf run down then, but much improved now with two large scaffold style stands and over 2000 seats. I assume top class stock car meetings take place here

Unfortunately the meeting was one sided, a fact that was likely in advance

Good crowd of about 800 consisering heavy rain 90mins before start

Unfortunately minimal overtaking and long gaps between races did little to encourage me back to regulat attendance at the sport

bagman

Aug 2, 2015, 9:19 AM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #258 of 399 (11895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 31 July 2015.

Lakeside 43 v Swindon 50

Elite League points: Lakeside 0 Swindon 4

LAKESIDE 43: Andreas Jonsson 12, Richard Lawson 9+2, Piotr Swiderski 7+1, Adam Ellis 6, Ben Morley 5+1, Edward Kennett 4, Mikkel Bech R/R.

SWINDON 50: Darcy Ward 17+2, Troy Batchelor 11+4, Grzegorz Zengota 9, Carl Wilkinson 6, Lewis Blackbird 5+1, Rob Branford 2+2, Nick Morris R/R.

bagman

Aug 16, 2015, 9:58 AM

Post #259 of 399 (11616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 9th August 2015

City Gearboxes National League

Eastbourne Eagles 49 v 40 Buxton Hitmen

Scorers:

Eagles: Marc Owen 14(5), Bradley Wilson-Dean 13+2(5), Ben Hopwood 10(5), Mattie Bates 8+3(6), Kelsey Dugard 3(5), Niall Strudwick 1(3), Charley Powell (No. 8) 0(1), Rider Replacement for Georgie Wood.

Hitmen: Ryan Blacklock 11(5), Tom Atkin 7(4), Liam Carr 7(5), Tom Woolley 5+2(4), David Holt 4+2(4), Steven Jones 3+1(4), David Speight 3(4).

bagman

Aug 20, 2015, 9:21 PM

Post #260 of 399 (11403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 16 th August 2015

Rye House 51 v 42 Workington ( Premier league )

EDWARD Kennett raced to a six-ride paid maximum as Rye House overcame Workington 51-42 at Hoddesdon in the Premier League on Sunday.

The Rockets’ hopes of being at full strength for the first time since the end of March were scuppered by Nikolaj B Jakobsen being diagnosed with a suspected broken coccyx from a crash in Denmark last week.

However, Kennett’s unbeaten show was well backed by Kasper Lykke on 12+1 whilst Ricky Wells (17) and Rene Bach contributed the bulk of the Comets’ points.

bagman

Sep 5, 2015, 11:03 AM

Post #261 of 399 (11165 views)
Shortcut

Friday 21st August 2015

Lakeside Hammers 40 v 50 Poole Pirates

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 6, 2015, 12:02 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #262 of 399 (11108 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 5th September 2015
Berwick Bandits 64 Rye House Rockets 29
Premier League
Admission £15
Programme £2 (28pp)
Attendance 350 (rough h/c)
Refreshments available (didn't bother)

No wonder speedway in Britain is dying on its arse. This really was the most awful pish. Like millions of others, I turned my back on the sport years ago and attended this meeting (my first since 2011) only because I'd been to Kelso RU in the afternoon and it was billed as very probably Berwick's last. I'm not surprised the club is on the verge of packing in: how on earth do you operate a professional sports club on such tiny crowds? When I reported on Middlesbrough Bears for Teesside's evening newspaper, the promoter told me during the club's final season (1996) he was losing a grand every home meeting. And that was on average gates of 850. Two decades on, how much must Berwick be losing?

Took the opportunity to speak to several Bandits fans. It seems promoter John Anderson is not popular. He has appealed for a cash injection but the supporters I chatted with said nobody wants to stump up while Anderson remains the majority shareholder. None had any confidence the Bandits would come to the tapes in 2016, their 50th anniversary season.

On the track, the action was lamentable. Ex-Bandit Edward Kennett apart, Rye House were way off the pace. Without Kennett's 15 points, the Herts-based visitors would have been humiliated. Berwick tracked two guests and operated rider replacement (how crap is that?). A number of crashes meant the early heats dragged on interminably. We'd reached heat four when I remembered why I no longer watch speedway: it simply is not value for money.

Injury-ravaged Berwick have endured a dreadful season but if this was farewell at least their riders enjoyed a decent pay-day. Kevin Doolan (15), Richard Hall (12+5), guest Ryan Fisher (12+2) and guest Theo Pijper (11) all hit double figures. As demanding as taking candy from a baby, most of it.

Berwick's programme always was one of the best in British speedway - at least they've maintained that standard. Shielfield Park is much improved since my last visit in 1997. What could be the last meeting at the track - the British U19 Final - is on September 12th.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Sep 6, 2015, 12:17 AM)

bagman

Sep 7, 2015, 9:13 PM

Post #263 of 399 (10992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 6th September 2015

Mildenhall Fen Tigers 42 v 47 Birmingham Brummies

BIRMINGHAM are the 2015 City Gearboxes National League Champions.

The Brummies needed to avoid defeat at Mildenhall on Sunday to take them clear of rivals Eastbourne’s potential total, and they duly won 47-42 at West Row despite a slow start which saw them go eight points down after six races.

Teenage sensation Zach Wajtknecht won his first four rides to finish with 12 points including the title-clinching ride in Heat 14.

Met up with Burgesshill Bee & Henfield Bee.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Sep 7, 2015, 10:43 PM

Post #264 of 399 (10971 views)
Shortcut

For the benefit of Bagman a short round up of Speeedway meetings attended recently.

Thursday 3rd September Swindon 49 v 41 Coventry Elite League Admission £17 Prog £2.50 Burger and Chips £4.25 Att 1100 Est

This is supposed to be one of Swindon's last meetings on its current site at Blunsdon, they are supposed to be getting a brand new 4500 capacity stadium built soemwhere on the site where the track and car park and a market is located, though there seems to be very little in the way of work being done at present except for more house going up behind the stadium site. As for the meeting it started slowly and was always close, some decent overtakes by Peter Kildermann kept it interesting. Last 5 heats were the best and there seemed to be some hard riding. With 1 heat left Swindon lead by 8 and Coventry needed a heat advantage to get a bonus point which they had until the last lap when Hans Andersen fell whilst leading and the heat finished level. Despite falling in his last ride i felt Andersen was the best rider on the night.

Saturday 5th September Berwick 64 v 29 Rye House Premier League Admission £15 Prog £2 Burger and Chips £4.50 Att 400 Est

After watching Berwick Rangers we retired to the Black and Gold Club to watch the England game and have a couple of drinks, the locals informing us that crowds are down by at least a third in the last couple of years. Feversham Lens has summed up the meeting, Kennett would probably have got a maximum but for a 1st heat Engine Failure and Rye House cause was not helped by having 2 rookie guests and losing Luke Bowen to injury in his second ride. After the main meting there was just time for the 6 heat Northern Junior League match between Berwick and Redcar which Berwick won 25 - 11. Footnote i saw Thomas Jorgensen guest for Coventry at Swindon but it was claimed he was injured and could not ride for Berwick on Saturday, though it appears he did ride on Sunday at Sheffield in the PLRC !

Sunday 6th September Mildenhall 42 v 47 Birmingham National League Admission £12 Prog £1.50 (Not worth £1) Tea £1 Att 600 Est

As mentioned myself and Henfield Bee met bagman here and Chatham Bee was in the referee's box. Birmingham's victory means they win the league,after having to drop out of the Elite League midway through last Season with financial issues. It was a reasonable meeting with Birmingham coming from 8 points down after 6 heats to win the match helped a bit by some unfortunate falls for a couple of Mildenhall riders when in good scoring positions. As well as spending the meeting in the company of Bagman we also had the company of Jack Kingston's father, Jack Kingston was riding for Mildenhall.

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 14, 2015, 1:11 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #265 of 399 (10835 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 13 September 2015
Mildenhall Fen 46 Tigers Rye House Raiders 44
National League
Admission £12
Programme - £1.50

Followed by:

Milton Keynes 6 Belle Vue Colts 30
Midland Development League
Entry – free
Programme – Free

For a very long time a really entertaining day out at Speedway. This was due to three reasons:

1. A really close meeting with the result going down to the last heat
2. Plenty of passing during the heats
3. The threat of rain – which meant no messing about with introducing the riders before the start and a quick change over between heats – why can’t they work at this speed every meeting?

The Fen Tigers programme – oh dear what a rip off. After looking at earlier issues this season – it has gone on a diet. Started off as a decent A5 glossy issue. It has gone down to a folded sheet of paper to make 6 pages. Milton Keynes showed them up as theirs was a full colour glossy 4 page issue given away free on entry.

The Fish and Chip shop was a bit of a let-down. Jacket Pots were advertised but they didn’t have any and no chilli which was also advertised.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Sep 14, 2015, 11:34 PM

Post #266 of 399 (10781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having seen Rye House lose heavily at Berwick last week we saw them lose twice more on Saturday 12th September.

Rye House 38 v 53 Plymouth PL Rye House 43 v 47 Somerset PLKOC Admission £20 Prog £3 (Overpriced) Chips £1.70 Tea/Coffee £1

Despite a 15 point maximum for Edward Kennett Rye House slumped to defeat against Plymouth whose win meant they qualified for the PL play offs. Rye House were not helped by the fact that they lost Nikolai Jakobsen to injury in his second ride. The big difference being the Plymout reserves who outscored the Rye House reserves 20-4.

For the second match Rye House borrowed Linus Eklof who rode for Plymouth to replace Jakobsen who was injured. Somerset had a 30 point lead from the 1st leg and never really looked like losing with their solid top 5. Kasper Lykke top scored for Rye House in this meeting and Reserve Ben Morley improved as the meeting went on. Despite a number of crashes both meetings were completed in about 4 hours and reasonably entertaining.

kirby knitters

Oct 30, 2015, 10:38 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #267 of 399 (10181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's looking increasing likely Cov Bees will be leaving Brandon within the next 18 months as a planning application has gone in to build 250 new homes on the site. Next stop for the club will probably be Beaumont Park home of Leicester Lions.

buncranaboy

Nov 1, 2015, 7:41 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #268 of 399 (10101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It's looking increasing likely Cov Bees will be leaving Brandon within the next 18 months as a planning application has gone in to build 250 new homes on the site. Next stop for the club will probably be Beaumont Park home of Leicester Lions.

......which will be their death-knell.

Must get back to Brandon one last time next season; I always enjoyed the stadium even if the track wasn't the greatest.

kirby knitters

Nov 1, 2015, 9:05 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #269 of 399 (10084 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Must get back to Brandon one last time next season; I always enjoyed the stadium even if the track wasn't the greatest.

There is talk of a potential move to a new site in Rugby but Cov say they can't wait around for something that may never happen so will end up in Leicester

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 2, 2015, 1:01 PM

Post #270 of 399 (10031 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yes, a nice venue (by speedway standards), but a slick track serving up poor racing. Used to go regularly to big meetings at Brandon until the lack of overtaking prompted me to stop bothering. Certain irony here: wasn't Coventry's Charles Ochiltree responsible, in the Eighties, for selling Blackbird Road (with minimal warning), thereby putting the skids under Leicester Lions? Sorry to see Brandon go, especially as the usual scenario is for teams to disappear for good once their circuit is bulldozed. The list is almost endless. Another nail in British speedway's coffin...

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Nov 2, 2015, 1:02 PM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 23, 2015, 9:32 AM

Post #271 of 399 (9690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Saturday 5th September 2015
Berwick Bandits 64 Rye House Rockets 29
Premier League
Admission £15
Programme £2 (28pp)
Attendance 350 (rough h/c)
Refreshments available (didn't bother)

No wonder speedway in Britain is dying on its arse. This really was the most awful pish. Like millions of others, I turned my back on the sport years ago and attended this meeting (my first since 2011) only because I'd been to Kelso RU in the afternoon and it was billed as very probably Berwick's last.

Further to the above, Berwick have been 'saved' and will race on in 2016, the club's 50th anniversary season.

http://www.berwickbandits.co/article/new-speedway-consortium-announced

TheLinnet
Youth Team Sub

Apr 3, 2016, 1:42 PM

Team(s): Ruislip Manor(RIP), Middlesex C.C.C. King's Lynn Stars

Post #272 of 399 (8609 views)
Shortcut

3rd April 2016 3:30pm
Fenland Fours, Mildenhall

WE ATE'NT DEAD (with acknowledgement to the late great Terry Pratchett)
Last new ground (Football) - Emirates Stadium
Last new ground (Cricket) - Trent Bridge
Last new track (Speedway) - Buxton

TheLinnet
Youth Team Sub

Apr 17, 2016, 1:27 PM

Team(s): Ruislip Manor(RIP), Middlesex C.C.C. King's Lynn Stars

Post #273 of 399 (8296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheLinnet] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

17th April 2016 3:30pm
NATIONAL TROPHY
Mildenhall v IOW

WE ATE'NT DEAD (with acknowledgement to the late great Terry Pratchett)
Last new ground (Football) - Emirates Stadium
Last new ground (Cricket) - Trent Bridge
Last new track (Speedway) - Buxton

bagman

May 2, 2016, 10:31 AM

Post #274 of 399 (7958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheLinnet] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Monday 2nd May 2016

BANK HOLIDAY DOUBLE-HEADER - 30 RACES IN ONE AFTERNOON!

RYE HOUSE ROCKETS v
WORKINGTON COMETS
MONDAY MAY 2, 2016 @ 2.00pm - PREMIER LEAGUE
Followed immediately by...

RYE HOUSE RAIDERS v
STOKE POTTERS
NATIONAL LEAGUE

bagman

May 6, 2016, 9:06 PM

Post #275 of 399 (7736 views)
Shortcut

KING'S LYNN SPEEDWAY
Present...
fim.png
FIM GRAND PRIX
QUALIFYING ROUND
SATURDAY MAY 7, 2016 @ 7.30pm

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3