Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
19th February 2016

codofthenorth
First Team Regular

Feb 19, 2016, 8:25 PM

Post #1 of 11 (3755 views)
Shortcut
19th February 2016 Can't Post or

AFC Darwen P-P Nelson FC NWCL

Game confirmed as on at 4pm but the drizzly rain never cleared as forecast....and game called off about 6.45.

Mark
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 19, 2016, 8:34 PM

Post #2 of 11 (3744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] 19th February 2016 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Al Ahli 3-0 Al Wahda
Arabian Gulf League
Attendance: 6,000-ish
Admission: free (or UAED 10 or UAED 50)
No progs

Second played fifth in an attractive-looking game in which a win for Al Ahli would take them top. They started well with an early goal but the visitors dominated most of a high tempo first half played on a well-watered pitch. A sending-off for Al Wahda just before half-time made it more comfortable for the home side but they didn't put it beyond doubt until late, with two goals in injury time.

The Rashid Stadium is very easy to reach, being next door to the handily-titled Stadium metro stop. There was very much a football feel outside the ground as vendors sold snacks and scarfs, and there was a modern club shop in the car park but which offered a fairly limited selection.

Finding a way into the complex was easy but actually getting into the ground proved quite tricky. The first ticket office I saw was for away fans and was charging UAED 50, or £10. I was 'directed' to a home ticket office which turned out to be an ambulance point.

I next tried a steward at the main stand entrance who told me that the stand was sold out and I should go to the opposite side. I did and there was no way back inside the complex. I returned to the main stand and spoke with the same steward who said I should now follow the path directly behind the away fans' end to get to the other side. I squeezed past a barrier that looked as if it was probably meant to block the route, got to the opposite side and realised the barrier had definitely been blocking the route as there was a fence running across the whole gangway. Fortunately, a couple of locals had followed me, remonstrated with a steward and some fences were shifted to allow us through.

The concourse was rather chaotic (probably best to go to the loo before you set out) but I found the ticket hut and was given a free ticket with a face value of UAED 10 or £2. I later realised that the simplest route here would have been to go to the opposite end of the main stand and continue behind the far goal!

Good seats were at a premium with the whole side pretty much full, the home end mostly full amongst those seats higher up with better views and only half of the opposite end open, with 600-700 from Al Wahda based there. In addition, a lack of stairs meant that some seats were covered in wet footprints (it rained the other day) as this was the only way to access higher rows. Being in the 'proles' part of the ground during a busy game was certainly a contrast to my recent experiences in main stands.

The ground is similar to the other two Dubai grounds I've been to - oval shaped (but no running track), 11 rows of open seating around 3 sides and a covered main stand that looked a bit larger this time. Both sets of fans had their ultra groups, a network of loudspeakers providing amplification for the home lot.

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 19, 2016, 9:49 PM

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #3 of 11 (3692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] 19th February 2016 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gibraltar Lions 0 Europa 3
Gibraltar League Division 1
Admission Free Programme No
Attendance about 75

Stadium consists of 2 sides of seating , one wholly uncovered, the other has the central area covered, the ends uncovered. No spectator access behind either goal. The pitch is encircled by a running track. And the stadium provides tremendous views of The Rock

Football seen in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Iceland, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Lichenstein, Poland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Italy Czech Republic and ukraine

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, JD Cymru South Division, JD Cyrmu North, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

(This post was edited by nervous rec on Feb 19, 2016, 9:55 PM)

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 19, 2016, 10:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 11 (3612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] 19th February 2016 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Felixstowe 3-0 Clacton

I'll leave it in the capable hands of Runwell to tell you all about it, unless the boy from pinewood beats him to it.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Feb 19, 2016, 11:10 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #5 of 11 (3565 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] 19th February 2016 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties League Premier Division
Felixstowe & Walton Utd 3 (17, 24 & 74)
FC Clacton 0
KO: 19:45 Att: 165 (as per league website) Cost: Pay what you want. Progs: Yes

Venue: Goldstar Ground, Dellwood Avenue, Felixstowe

Match: 3rd v 11th out of 20
Odd spot rain at start but it was cold & windy. 2nd half was mostly played in swirling rain.
FCC shot just over on 7mins when ball fell kindly to forward. FWU scored 2 goals with the 2nd being a quality strike. FCC had plenty of possession & shot over again just before h/t. Shots 3-8.

FCC shot just wide on 55mins & up to this point probably had shaded the game so far despite being behind. The remainder saw FWU dominate & after a fine low save by the gk, a 3rd goal from close range secured the points. The gk saved late on to keep the score down. Shots 9-1.

I watched game with youngster, a couple of locals & there were some hoppers about as well.

Howieb73
Youth Team Sub

Feb 19, 2016, 11:25 PM

Team(s): Nottingham Forest & non-league.

Post #6 of 11 (3537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] 19th February 2016 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lowland / East of Scotland U20 League.
BSC Glasgow 1 Spartans 2.
Venue: New Tinto Park, Benburb FC.
Admission: Free. Programme: No.
Attendance: Approx 25.

Original plan was Partick v Aberdeen but when that was postponed, this fixture came to the rescue.

I popped into Firhill at midday and bought a programme ... But I wasn't confident enough to get a ticket.

It was no surprise that Partick was postponed but it was somewhat of a 'surprise' when the news finally came because no inspection had been announced, and Partick were still enthusiastically tweeting about the 2000 seat cushions they were going to give away tonight. Partick have now had several postponements at Firhill and will have problems fulfilling fixtures at this rate.

I'm not a fan of 3g pitches but on nights like this they are the difference between games taking place or not. At Benburb, a kids team having a training session & then hosting an u20 match to bring in revenue, makes good business sense. New Tinto Park is about half a mile from Ibrox & is enclosed, railed off & a stand with 400 seats. There is no cover so I retreated to the clubhouse for half an hour in the second half when the rain became torrential.

The game was entertaining enough with BSC taking the lead about 10 minutes before the break. Spartans levelled from a penalty, then a header proved to be the winner.

St Mirren was my preferred option tomorrow but I might stick with artificial pitches and head to Airdrieonians instead.

CND67
First Team Star

Feb 19, 2016, 11:44 PM

Team(s): Wolverhampton Wanderers & England

Post #7 of 11 (3514 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] 19th February 2016 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Western League - Division One
Calne Town 1 Corsham Town 0 (HT 0-0)
Admission: £5 Programme: £1 Metal Badge: £3
Attendance: 163

Nothing special!

Last New Ground: Bamber Bridge
Grounds Visited: 1,149

Runwell
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 19, 2016, 11:56 PM

Team(s): Team 'Impersonating other Twitter Users' - est. 2011

Post #8 of 11 (3499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] 19th February 2016 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, I was another at...

Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties League Premier Division
Felixstowe & Walton United 3(2)-(0)0 FC Clacton
Goldstar Ground, Dellwood Avenue, Felixstowe, Suffolk
Attendance: 165
Admission: Pay What You Want - I put a tenner in. Didn't purchase programme

Also purchased: Sausage Roll £1.50 and can of RWhites Lemonade £1

My third successive Friday night ECL game, although the last I will be able to get to for a little while. Bit of a tight one, due to leaving work late then some traffic, but at the Goldstar at 7:30.

Bit of a strange game really, in very poor conditions - a cold gusty wind all game, accompanied by swirling rain in the 2nd half. Clacton very unlucky to be 2-0 down in the first half, then 2nd half mysteriously didn't seem to turn up. They may be close to securing safety for another season, but that's no reason to go in to holiday mode now. As a result, a straightforward victory for Felixstowe, to keep their title charge alive.

The home side started the brightest. However Clacton missed two decent chances on the break - Andrade blazing over in the box after being teed up, then Condon with a sight of goal putting in a weak effort that didn't trouble Holland in the Stowe goal.
Those misses would prove costly shortly after, when a player ghosted in behind the Clacton defence and fired home. Then, after a couple more good half chances for Clacton, a short taken corner was smashed from outside the box in to the far corner to double the hosts' lead.
Although Felixstowe should have scored a third shortly before the break, when a player received the ball a few yards out but got the ball stuck under his feet, it was Clacton who finished the half very strong, with a corner almost going straight in and having to be hacked off the line, then Parkin missing a glorious chance, after he blazed over a knockdown to him in the box. And several other close efforts for the visitors too. If they had their shooting boots on, could have been a different game.

Second half, with conditions worsening, was pretty dull. Clacton just never really turned up, not creating anything, and with a defence that was kamikaze in its approach. Countless decent chances were spurned, although Fowler did make the odd good stop, and a goalline clearance in there as well.
A surprise the net bulged only once in the second period, with a corner deflecting off someone on the line, with the loose ball hammered home to seal the win, and keep Norwich honest at the top.
Summing up Clacton's night, from a rare opportunity, Coyle's free kick by the touchline was a great delivery. However it came straight off the head of the referee, standing by the penalty area, with Stowe almost scoring on the break.

Clubhouse plans were on show in the old facility, which should be a lot lot closer to the pitch than the current one.

Not a bad attendance, although I wonder whether some were put off by the weather, as thought we might get nearer 180?

Pretty horrible driving conditions due to the gusty winds and the swirling nature of the rain. Going over the Orwell Bridge both ways was particularly nasty, especially on the way back.

Last match:
Monday 17th October 2016
Aveley 1-1 Phoenix Sports (Isthmian League Division 1 North)

Next scheduled match:
Tuesday 18th October 2016
Burnham Ramblers v Haringey & Waltham (Essex Senior League)

RussWWFC
First Team Star

Feb 20, 2016, 7:42 AM

Team(s): Wycombe Wanderers

Post #9 of 11 (3384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] 19th February 2016 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Felixstowe 3-0 Clacton

I'll leave it in the capable hands of Runwell to tell you all about it, unless the boy from pinewood beats him to it.

Also my destination http://footygrounds.blogspot.co.uk/...goldstar-ground.html

Visit my Blog - The Wycombe Wanderer
Follow me on Twitter @RussWWFC

CND67
First Team Star

Feb 20, 2016, 10:07 AM

Team(s): Wolverhampton Wanderers & England

Post #10 of 11 (3233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CND67] 19th February 2016 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Western League - Division One
Calne Town 1 Corsham Town 0 (HT 0-0)
Admission: £5 Programme: £1 Metal Badge: £3
Attendance: 146

Nothing special!

Has there been a bust up between the social club and the football club in the past? The social club in the car park doesn't seem to be used by the football club, they use the North Star club for their after match entertainment etc which is just at the back of the ground. Anyway know the history of this?

Last New Ground: Bamber Bridge
Grounds Visited: 1,149

Wanderer71
Junior Team Star

Feb 20, 2016, 9:28 PM

Post #11 of 11 (2967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CND67] 19th February 2016 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hull City U21's 3 Bolton Wanderers U21's 0 at the K C Stadium, Hull.

Admission £4 Free Teamsheet but struggled to get one as the duplicator packed after about 20 copies had been run off and no one knew how to repair it!

A comfortable home win for the hosts in front of about 200 fans. Bolton U21's, like the Wanderers first team, have not managed an away win the the league this season!!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3