Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: Programme Editing & Collecting:
The most important, poignant or personal programmes in your collection?

London Harrier
First Team Star

Jun 8, 2016, 1:28 PM

Post #1 of 14 (9638 views)
Shortcut
The most important, poignant or personal programmes in your collection? Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wasn't sure what section to put this in, so feel free to move it.
I tracked down and ordered a copy of Kings Lynn v Ludlow Town (FA Cup 2QR 2/10/2004) on EBay today. This represents one of the biggest ties in the South Shropshire club’s history, at least in terms of prestige. Shortly after this, Ludlow were relegated from the Midland Alliance and began a slow descent into oblivion. There is a pathos attached to this programme that is hard to describe.

What are the most important, poignant or personal programmes in your collection? And for what reasons?

As an FYI, Dave Roberts (he of Bromley Boys fame) has written a very good book on this subject called 32 Programmes.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Jun 8, 2016, 5:04 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #2 of 14 (9557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] The most important, poignant or personal programmes in your collection? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In the late 1950s a school pal bought a mixed lot off a dealer but quickly tired of them. I bought a Bugle v Truro City off him as I was fascinated by the name and where they came from.
I have now been collecting for over fifty six years and are as keen today as then, I still have that programme which sent me off on a long journey of discovery and which also gave me the incentive later on to write programme notes for my own club.

Merthyr Imp
Junior Team Star

Jun 8, 2016, 10:33 PM

Team(s): Lincoln City, Merthyr Town

Post #3 of 14 (9396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] The most important, poignant or personal programmes in your collection? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A Football League programme in my case - the one for the York City v Lincoln City match abandoned at half time after the York player David Longhurst died on the pitch.

Something I'll never forget.

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 9, 2016, 4:54 PM

Post #4 of 14 (9083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Merthyr Imp] The most important, poignant or personal programmes in your collection? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mine is Arsenal v Charlton, 27 Feb 1987. This was the 2nd time my dad took me to Highbury. I don't seem to have a programme for the first one - also vs Charlton the season before.

I also have programmes for the 1971 FA Cup Final and the Spurs v Arsenal league game the same season which my dad left me. Aside from the obvious poignancy of those two for any Gooner, they were bought by my dad as a young man (29), by all accounts very similar in personality to me, rather than the responsible parent that I knew. The link is quite precious for me.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 9, 2016, 7:22 PM

Post #5 of 14 (9000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] The most important, poignant or personal programmes in your collection? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Without a doubt the 1968 FA Cup Final programme which was the last time The Baggies won a major trophy. Although we have reached the semis a number of times since, I can't imagine another trophy in my lifetime (but, after Leicester ... never say never)

We (men and boys only) went down on a coach and I distinctly remember stopping at a very strange building on the way back where all us boys were shunted off into a small room whilst the men went into another. It was only a few years later that I realised this had been a pub (my father was teetotal). This stop off obviously caused a later arrival back home than expected and when we got there all the women were out in the street looking out for us wondering what had happened - no one in the street would have a had a home phone back then.

RussWWFC
First Team Star

Jun 9, 2016, 9:52 PM

Team(s): Wycombe Wanderers

Post #6 of 14 (8929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] The most important, poignant or personal programmes in your collection? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A rather mediocre game for me - Wycombe v Watford in a Friendly - it was my first ever game. Took me a while to get back on eBay.

Visit my Blog - The Wycombe Wanderer
Follow me on Twitter @RussWWFC

dottirofhod

Jun 10, 2016, 12:14 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #7 of 14 (8842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] The most important, poignant or personal programmes in your collection? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

What are the most important, programmes in your collection? And for what reasons?

======================================================================

It was = 1973 European Cup Final . Ajax v Juventus (Belgrade) staples removed and teams neatly inserted in the space provided in the centre pages VERY RARE £4,000.
That is how its on offer today,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was important as the money raised financed quite a few foreign trips.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 21 / 20/ 1/ inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 21/ 07/ 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-3-4-2)/ Lux = 0-3 / Neth = 0-0-0-(2 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany = 0-0-0 /Italy = 0-3 / Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-1.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

Chris1963

Jun 16, 2016, 1:59 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #8 of 14 (6269 views)
Shortcut

I consider all my programmes equally worth of keeping, but how you got the programme bug (whether at your first ever match or later) is interesting. In my case, my first ever game was Oxford United v. Bristol Rovers on 06/12/75. Although I had asked to be taken to an Oxford United home game, I don't think I was really aware of the fact that there were such things as programmes and so it was a surprise when my father said to me "I'm going to buy a programme" as we entered the Manor Ground, even though he was never a collector. It was a newspaper style issue and I left it lying around the house when I got home and had finished reading it. A few days later it disappeared altogether, probably thrown away by my mother who did not realise its significance. After that, I made sure that I stored all future programmes away in my bedroom. I did eventually get a copy of the missing programme from the Bristol Rovers club shop when I ticked Eastville in 1984. Incidentally the 1975-76 Oxford United programmes are much sought after by collectors, at least when compared with other seasons.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Jun 16, 2016, 2:02 PM)

acmold

Jun 16, 2016, 2:20 PM

Post #9 of 14 (6245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] The most important, poignant or personal programmes in your collection? [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Incidentally the 1975-76 Oxford United programmes are much sought after by collectors, at least when compared with other seasons.

Used to be a few years ago. One or two are worth a bob or two the friendly v Royal Antwerp and Derby springs to mind. Most of the rest if listed on Ebay for 99p don't attract any bids. The team sheet for the friendly between Oxford United Youth and the Rest of the Midland Youth League is worth £25 plus.

thecoldend
Youth Team Star

Jun 17, 2016, 4:44 AM

Post #10 of 14 (6094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] The most important, poignant or personal programmes in your collection? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There are many... much to my wife's annoyance...

Enfield FC v Welling United 1987 - My first Enfield game
Arsenal v Newcastle United 1987 - First ever footy game with my Dad

All of The E's games v footy league sides in the FA Cup from 80s and 90s like Cardiff City, Leyton Orient, Chesterfield, PNE, Leicester City, Aldershot, Torquay United - some great memories there.

Basildon United v Enfield Town - new clubs first ever competitive fixture

steveking
Reserve Team Star

Jun 17, 2016, 10:37 AM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #11 of 14 (6013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thecoldend] The most important, poignant or personal programmes in your collection? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

OK, here's my two pen'orth -

Ware vs Cheshunt 1923 - The oldest Ware programme I have.

Luton Town vs Ware 1968 - Our first appearance in the FA Cup competition proper.

Kettering Town vs Stafford Rangers 1979 - I get my name in a Wembley programme.

Probably others I would be unhappy to part with but these three I will always cling on to.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 18, 2016, 11:42 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #12 of 14 (5644 views)
Shortcut

The most poignant programme in my collection is probably for Eoin Hand's Testimonial on Wednesday 18th April 1979, Portsmouth v. Eire at Fratton Park. Aged 10, I watched that match from the wooden seats in the North Stand and at some point in the match spilt a cup of Bovril over the programme (just a single glossy sheet of A4 listing the teams, coloured black and white with a bit of green). To this day, that programme still holds the smell of Bovril and damp wood that soaked into it. I've few other possessions that bring back memories of a time and place as powerfully as smelling that programme today.

As for the match itself: unlike testimonials today (which are all-too-often populated with players from boy-bands or television talent-shows), this one was treated like a proper full-on competitive match (there was a more laid-back Pompey Old Boys v. Saints Old Boys played beforehand), with both Pompey and Eire played their full first-choice line-up, and Eire coming back from two-down to draw 2-2. Liam Brady play a blinder, just as he would do 24 days later in the 1979 FA Cup Final.

http://www.footballzone.co.uk/...es/i-23002/23977.jpg

(This post was edited by oxpete on Jun 18, 2016, 11:43 AM)

southend statto
First Team Star

Jun 18, 2016, 2:34 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #13 of 14 (5566 views)
Shortcut

I have a few that mean something to me - mainly 'firsts' - these are some of them:
1968-69 Southend Utd. vs. Grimsby Tn. D4 - 1st game
1970-71 Southend Utd. vs. Weymouth FAC - 1st FAC-tie
1970-71 Coggeshall Tn. vs. Gt. Wakering Rvrs. EIC Final - 1st NL game with programme
1975-76 Newcastle Utd. vs. Man. City FLC Final - 1st game at
Wembley

I have a binder of these special games. Others include first FAV-tie/Final, 1st FAT-tie/Final etc. etc. etc.

BJM
Junior Team Star

Jun 20, 2016, 12:39 PM

Team(s): Thatcham Town

Post #14 of 14 (4692 views)
Shortcut

Guess the most personal programme in my collection must be when I went to see my, then, local non league club i.e Southall v Redhill 23 August 1947. Southall lost 0 - 1 but I was well and truly hooked and continued to support them for several years. Though I now have a reasonable collection of programmes, ironically, one programme that has eluded me was my first ever football match - Watford v QPR on 28 December, 1946. At that time I was completely unaware of such items as football programmes!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3