Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..'

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 30, 2016, 4:05 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #1 of 17 (8380 views)
Shortcut
Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' Can't Post or Reply Privately

And presumably some of the people posting on here were at the game?

I saw bits of it on TV that day through a shop window Crazy

Barbie
First Team Regular

Jul 30, 2016, 8:09 PM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #2 of 17 (8264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ruined my Radio 5 listening today.
It did get me thinking that if there are infinite parallel universes where all possibilities play out, then there's one where everything that happened in the match was reversed, West Germany won 4-2 and for the next 50 years, the English fans bleated on that Tofik Bahramov was a cheat and the ball didn't cross the line and the match should have been stopped because of spectators running on the pitch, thus cancelling out the final goal as well.
Just a thought.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 30, 2016, 9:31 PM

Post #3 of 17 (8205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I listened to the event on the wireless. I won't be listening to the the Centenary anniversary broadcast.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

Ropemaker
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 30, 2016, 10:21 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #4 of 17 (8159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The BBC didn't keep the radio commentary of the 1966 WC Final, but a copy has just been found

http://www.bbc.co.uk/.../uk-england-36925699

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 30, 2016, 11:25 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #5 of 17 (8100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Ruined my Radio 5 listening today.
It did get me thinking that if there are infinite parallel universes where all possibilities play out, then there's one where everything that happened in the match was reversed, West Germany won 4-2 and for the next 50 years, the English fans bleated on that Tofik Bahramov was a cheat and the ball didn't cross the line and the match should have been stopped because of spectators running on the pitch, thus cancelling out the final goal as well.
Just a thought.

Never a goal Tongue

acmold

Jul 31, 2016, 6:37 AM

Post #6 of 17 (7944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or

England come from two down in Mexico Win the 1974 World Cup and beat Germany umpteen times only penalties. The only downside being a 1-5 home defeat. Hadrian's wall is knocked down my desperate Scots.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Jul 31, 2016, 9:46 AM

Post #7 of 17 (7851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
England come from two down in Mexico Win the 1974 World Cup and beat Germany umpteen times only penalties. The only downside being a 1-5 home defeat. Hadrian's wall is knocked down my desperate Scots.

And we didn't join the EEC in the 1970s.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 31, 2016, 1:33 PM

Post #8 of 17 (7754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The BBC didn't keep the radio commentary of the 1966 WC Final, but a copy has just been found

http://www.bbc.co.uk/.../uk-england-36925699

I wasn't a big fan of Brian Moore and his radio commentary for the BBC in 1966 was just as awful.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

Barbie
First Team Regular

Jul 31, 2016, 8:14 PM

Post #9 of 17 (7608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was amused by the German commentary played by Danny Baker on Saturday morning that began 'Stiles, Achtung. Achtung...'

acmold

Jul 31, 2016, 8:38 PM

Post #10 of 17 (7589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or

Barry Davies was the back up man on ITV behind Huge Johns and Dave Bowen according to the man himself on fighting talk yesterday. Huge Johns to those of us who used to get Star Soccer from ATVland. DuDu,Du,DuDu

Barbie
First Team Regular

Aug 1, 2016, 2:54 PM

Post #11 of 17 (7198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I do believe we have a post on the forum that could be put forward for a Nobel Prize.
A concept that stretches the concept of infinite possibilities to a point that shows that infinity must actually be finite. Wink

garethwrexy

Aug 1, 2016, 3:50 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #12 of 17 (7175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not my era

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

sandhurstbee

Aug 2, 2016, 2:08 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #13 of 17 (6724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don`t think the success we saw that day will ever be repeated in your Era Gareth Unimpressed

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

acmold

Aug 2, 2016, 3:29 PM

Post #14 of 17 (6695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Don`t think the success we saw that day will ever be repeated in your Era Gareth Unimpressed

With the money I get from the Nobel Prize my next project is to build a time machine. You never what will happen, if you look closely is one of those folks running on the pitch Gareth?. Rumour has it he won a Time Machine in a bet.

Richard Rundle

Aug 3, 2016, 12:42 PM

Post #15 of 17 (6303 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Rumour has it he won a Time Machine in a bet.

Don't be silly Andy. When has Gareth ever won a bet?

southend statto
First Team Star

Sep 20, 2016, 12:42 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #16 of 17 (5455 views)
Shortcut

didn't know what football was then - I was given a world cup willie badge but didn't understand - found out what football was on easter Saturday 1969 and loved it ever since

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 20, 2016, 4:46 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #17 of 17 (5399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] Fifty years ago today - "Some people are on the pitch…..' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
didn't know what football was then - I was given a world cup willie badge but didn't understand - found out what football was on easter Saturday 1969 and loved it ever since

A willie badge! Now there's something I have never heard of. Is this a market ripe for exploitation? Smile

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3