First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Aug 15, 2016, 5:13 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #26 of 48 (5201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Couldn't give a toss for any of it myself. Same applied when it was in London.
Not so one of my pals. I work with this bloke :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-37081920
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/andy-murray-superfan-makes-12000-8635844
Cracking line from his Missus about why she lets him do it : “It’s either that or you have him sitting on the sofa with a little face on because Andy’s won and he’s not there.”

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 15, 2016, 6:31 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #27 of 48 (5155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/andy-murray-superfan-makes-12000-8635844
Cracking line from his Missus about why she lets him do it : “It’s either that or you have him sitting on the sofa with a little face on because Andy’s won and he’s not there.”

At least his missus believed him when he said he wasn't in the pub after the Aberdeen game and would be late home Laugh

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 15, 2016, 6:48 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #28 of 48 (5149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I finally watched some Olympic action last night as the thrilling tennis final got me hooked. A ferocious game that neither combatant really deserved to lose, but well done again Andy Murray.
I've said it before but we'll not see his like again for a very long time to come in terms of home-grown talent in his sport.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 15, 2016, 7:01 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #29 of 48 (5144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I finally watched some Olympic action last night as the thrilling tennis final got me hooked. A ferocious game that neither combatant really deserved to lose, but well done again Andy Murray.
I've said it before but we'll not see his like again for a very long time to come in terms of home-grown talent in his sport.

The best Olympic sport by a mile is volleyball (not the beach variety). There was a brilliant women's match last night between the USA and China. I usually which defeat on the US, regardless of what sport it is, but the US women's VB team is class.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 15, 2016, 7:35 PM

Post #30 of 48 (5127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A part from Andy Murray, the only thing I've found worth watching was the men's & women's cycling road races. As for a replacement for Murray, well Kyle Edmund is heading up the rankings and if he can get in with a top class coach and stay injury free he might make a top 20 player.

paulh66

Aug 15, 2016, 9:05 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #31 of 48 (5084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I finally watched some Olympic action last night as the thrilling tennis final got me hooked.

Now you're hooked, feast your eyes on this triple gold medallist doing her stuff. A thrill a minute (all seven of them), what's not to like?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36689481

buncranaboy

Aug 15, 2016, 9:31 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #32 of 48 (5064 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's sport? Really ?

paulh66

Aug 15, 2016, 9:46 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #33 of 48 (5043 views)
Shortcut

All joking aside, it does raise an interesting question as to whether either Murray or Ms Dujardin, for example, really belong at the Olympics - or whether they both do. And, if so, can the Olympics really combine elite professional sport and this kind of stuff without having an identity crisis.

I'd watch Murray all day long over this but I'd be hard pushed to decide who, if either, is the greater Olympian in terms of capturing what the games are/should be/used to be all about.

PaulC

Aug 15, 2016, 9:55 PM

Post #34 of 48 (5031 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I'd watch Murray all day long over this but I'd be hard pushed to decide who, if either, is the greater Olympian in terms of capturing what the games are/should be/used to be all about.

They both got gold medals but all Blueberry got was an soddin' carrot.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 15, 2016, 10:03 PM

Post #35 of 48 (5021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No one has mentioned golf being in the Olympics. My thoughts are golf is one pastime, it isn't a sport. more of a 4 hour walk, that shouldn't be in the Olympics.

Ropemaker

Aug 16, 2016, 12:21 AM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #36 of 48 (4960 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
All joking aside, it does raise an interesting question as to whether either Murray or Ms Dujardin, for example, really belong at the Olympics - or whether they both do. And, if so, can the Olympics really combine elite professional sport and this kind of stuff without having an identity crisis.

Olympic gold should be the pinnacle of the sport.

If it isn't, it shouldn't be at the Games

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 16, 2016, 2:00 PM

Team(s):

Post #37 of 48 (4711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm loving some of the great performances from the Brits. The cycling team has been brilliant, but probably the most surprising medal was the bronze in the hammer. Compare the dedication of hours of training with the few hours footballers do here and there, these Sportsmen and Women deserve everything they get.
I haven't a clue what they earn, but I'm sure it's not enough compared to certain other sports.

PaulC

Aug 16, 2016, 4:18 PM

Post #38 of 48 (4653 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Was your pal one of "the little band of England supporters" Murray went over to after the match?
https://mobile.twitter.com/...212227346432/video/1

acmold

Aug 16, 2016, 4:33 PM

Post #39 of 48 (4648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I'm loving some of the great performances from the Brits. The cycling team has been brilliant, but probably the most surprising medal was the bronze in the hammer. Compare the dedication of hours of training with the few hours footballers do here and there, these Sportsmen and Women deserve everything they get.
I haven't a clue what they earn, but I'm sure it's not enough compared to certain other sports.

More importantly did you see her do the Hula Hoop challenge.

East Fork Utd
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 18, 2016, 5:21 AM

Post #40 of 48 (4482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I just retired last month, so I've been in Olympics overdrive! I like watching sports that aren't normally covered on a regular basis here in the States. I've been able to see preliminary rounds and finals in volleyball, table tennis, badminton, archery, and rowing. I can take or leave the commentary on the events, but I've got six stations available for Olympics coverage, so I can usually find something good to watch. I echo youngsters earlier post about compensation for the men and women, particularly in the lesser-known events. Most of the athletes at the Games will go back to their regular jobs in a week or so after they get home, whether they win a medal or not. I too appreciate the training and dedication these people put into their sports for the chance to compete and maybe win an Olympic medal.

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Aug 18, 2016, 7:39 PM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #41 of 48 (4343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [East Fork Utd] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well I am in a very tiny minority who thoroughly enjoys watching our success in the Olympic Games. Today I enjoyed watching the Brownlee Bros destroying the rest of the opposition in the Triathlon. Also enjoyed the rowing, swimming, athletics (so far),rugby sevens, boxing, cycling, canoeing, hockey and even some of the gymnastics.
Have to agree with the man from Buncrana that the tennis was rivetting; I am not normally an Andy Murray fan but i was right behind him in his quest to beat his South American opponent , just to shut the pesky Argies up.
Not sure that tennis or golf belong in the Olympics.

garethwrexy

Aug 19, 2016, 5:00 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #42 of 48 (4209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Did Ireland have team in the football ?

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

kirby knitters

Aug 19, 2016, 5:12 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #43 of 48 (4198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Did Ireland have team in the football ?

No.

noprogs
First Team Star

Aug 20, 2016, 10:24 AM

Team(s):

Post #44 of 48 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Interesting to see the nature of the 'penalty' shoot-out in the women's hockey, namely where the player had 8 seconds to run from a fixed line and try and beat the keeper, as opposed to just a straight hit from the penalty spot.
I believe the NASL, or whatever the title then was, in the 1970's had a similar method to determine the result, due to American's aversion to draws.

I've always liked the idea, but I guess with the timing element as well, that this could only really be tried at the professional level.

Ropemaker

Aug 20, 2016, 11:21 AM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #45 of 48 (3982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Interesting to see the nature of the 'penalty' shoot-out in the women's hockey, namely where the player had 8 seconds to run from a fixed line and try and beat the keeper, as opposed to just a straight hit from the penalty spot.
I believe the NASL, or whatever the title then was, in the 1970's had a similar method to determine the result, due to American's aversion to draws.

I've always liked the idea, but I guess with the timing element as well, that this could only really be tried at the professional level.

Also, if the keeper fouled the attacker, a hit from the penalty spot was given. But anyone from the attacking team could then take it.

So there could be no tactical fouls to force a nervous player/rubbish penalty taker to take a penalty.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

windydcfc

Aug 20, 2016, 12:30 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #46 of 48 (3947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I love the emotions shown by GB's Lutalo Muhammad after he'd just missed out by 1 second in winning Taekwondo Gold.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36691180

jon b
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2016, 2:32 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #47 of 48 (3703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] 2016 Olympic Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well I am in a very tiny minority who thoroughly enjoys watching our success in the Olympic Games.

I think plenty of us have enjoyed it. Perhaps we've been too busy watching to post about it.

Some sports I struggled to understand though, like the cyclists trying to catch up with the motorbike rider who drops out through boredom after a bit.

Richard Rundle

Aug 25, 2016, 7:09 AM

Post #48 of 48 (3635 views)
Shortcut

I liked the tweet from JK Rowling that said something along the lines of "watching the cycling omnium. And people tell me Quidditch is complicated?"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3