Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: General:
Longest time between Re Visits

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 27, 2016, 8:20 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #51 of 69 (12539 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Still trying to catch you up, Sandhurstbee!

Last Wednesday I went to Petersfield Town 1 Northwood 0, my first return to Love Lane since attending Petersfield United 2 Portsmouth 2 at a pre-season friendly all the way back on Tuesday 5th August 1986.

I make that a gap of 29 years, 7 months and 18 days between visits.

Putting that into a bit of context, on that evening back in 1986, I got my teamsheet signed by the then-manager of Portsmouth, none other than Alan Ball, while he was stood on the steps outside the Love Lane clubhouse during the match. This would have been a mere 20 years and 6 days after he'd played for England in the World Cup Final on 30th July 1966!

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 28, 2016, 7:49 PM

Post #52 of 69 (12399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or

Went back to Devizes today just under 30 years ago since my last visit. The ground looked the same!

Swindon Addick
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 30, 2016, 11:01 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City, Charlton Athletic

Post #53 of 69 (12146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can't remember the exact dates, but 23 years and a few months between visits to Histon. I saw City win the county cup in April 1989 but had moved away from the area long before we next played there. My next visit was in the early part of 2013/14, for a City home game early in our ground-share there.

As I discovered when researching my answer for the thread on the first few grounds visited, most of my early visits are no longer available to revisit. Turns out the current longest without a revisit but still in use is Barking (early part of 89/90).

Cambridge City - on a tour of places we've never heard of and can't spell.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 18, 2016, 12:00 PM

Post #54 of 69 (11286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tuesday night was my second (and unfortunately almost certainly my very last) visit to Griffin Park, for Brentford's 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest.

My previous visit to the away end was to see Portsmouth lose 1-4 on Tuesday 1st September 1992, a length between visits of 23 years, 11 months and 15 days.

Barry will be very pleased to know that that gives me a record of 100% home wins for Brentford!

pokal02
First Team Star

Aug 18, 2016, 2:52 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #55 of 69 (11182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The longest time since a last visit to any ground that still exists is Hastings, where I saw Barnet draw 0-0 in April 1979. Can't say its on the immediate list to re-visit, though I might one day.

Henfield Bee
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 18, 2016, 7:45 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #56 of 69 (11045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In my grounds list no's 1 to 27 I have either revisited or are now defunct. So ground no. 28 is the one that offers me my potential longest break between visits......
Lewes 5 Addlestone & Weybridge 3 @ The Dripping Pan in 1977 - It's all of 11 miles from my doorstep! Maybe I'll wait for 40 years to elapse and make a re-visit. I understand the ground is slightly changed since I went!
NB Bognor Regis Town is next a few weeks afterwards

nb: i will only post re new grounds when BurgessHill Bee doesn't..(since he's far better informed than I)

(This post was edited by Henfield Bee on Aug 18, 2016, 7:53 PM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Aug 18, 2016, 10:24 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #57 of 69 (10982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Henfield Bee] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My current post in Hampshire has mean several 30 year plus revisits, but Stafford Rangers remains my longest possibility if I were to revisit, as it has now been over 40 years
All the other 46 grounds visited more than 40 years ago have either been revisited, or are no longer available to revisit (or in many cases, both).

I have recently passed the 600th ground to be revisited.
I now have 21 grounds with more than 10 visits. Of these, there are 8 which cannot be visited again (9 if you count old and new Wembley as different venues). 19 of the 21 are in England, the other two in Malaysia.

30 of the first 50 grounds on my list cannot be revisited now. Plus of course, "Ground zero". I know I visited Barking's old ground as a child in the company of my grandfather, but it is not on my list as I do not know the game, and anyway I would have spent more time watching the trains behind the ground than the match

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

pitch 63
First Team Star

Aug 19, 2016, 5:20 PM

Post #58 of 69 (10846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bristol City remains my longest possibility - last there on 28 December 1965 when the new floodlights opened. After that there are a couple that I haven't been back and still exist that are over 40 years - Elland Road and Old Trafford [at the latter for Leeds United v Chelsea FA Cup Final Replay].

As regards non-league several in the 30 plus years category; Minehead being the longest at 38 years.

Fatboyfat
Reserve Team Star

Aug 19, 2016, 6:59 PM

Post #59 of 69 (10793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aicwhu] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I finally got round to sorting my spread-sheet to see what my record might be were I to do re-visits which in general I don't.
Most of my early grounds are long gone or league grounds re-visited for away cup games with the mighty hammers

Haringey 1960/1 is the oldest left followed by Plymouth in 1961/2 and in 1962/3 by Welling Blackpool and Ebbsfleet

Perhaps I should re-visit one of these to set a record of at least 54 years!

andrew c

or maybe leave it another 5 for a 60 year anniversary re-visit to Haringey

Blimey Andrew, I thought I was in with a shout with Notts County which I last visited 50 years ago next March. I blame my Mother for not letting me go to that nasty rough football until I was 13!

Tim

Aug 19, 2016, 10:14 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #60 of 69 (10692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fatboyfat] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
I finally got round to sorting my spread-sheet to see what my record might be were I to do re-visits which in general I don't.
Most of my early grounds are long gone or league grounds re-visited for away cup games with the mighty hammers

Haringey 1960/1 is the oldest left followed by Plymouth in 1961/2 and in 1962/3 by Welling Blackpool and Ebbsfleet

Perhaps I should re-visit one of these to set a record of at least 54 years!

andrew c

or maybe leave it another 5 for a 60 year anniversary re-visit to Haringey

Blimey Andrew, I thought I was in with a shout with Notts County which I last visited 50 years ago next March. I blame my Mother for not letting me go to that nasty rough football until I was 13!

Another one for Notts County - 23 March 1974. So a mere 42 years for me, but then I'm only a boy compared with you chaps....

sandhurstbee

Aug 21, 2016, 1:02 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #61 of 69 (10092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Tuesday night was my second (and unfortunately almost certainly my very last) visit to Griffin Park, for Brentford's 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest.

My previous visit to the away end was to see Portsmouth lose 1-4 on Tuesday 1st September 1992, a length between visits of 23 years, 11 months and 15 days.

Barry will be very pleased to know that that gives me a record of 100% home wins for Brentford!

Good man, you can come again Sly

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Aug 22, 2016, 7:29 AM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #62 of 69 (9835 views)
Shortcut

I have just checked my records and my one and only visit to Dundee, at Dens Park, was 5 September 1970 for only my second Scottish match.

That means almost 46 years, with no prospect of me ever going back.

In England, my longest time since my last visit is Workington. First saw them in March 1971 at home to Newport County, the bottom two in what was then Division 4

Saw them again when Halifax played there on 28 August 1976, when the game ended 1-1 in front of a crowd of over 2,000.

dottirofhod

Aug 26, 2016, 12:02 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #63 of 69 (9571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Last night visited the Marakana for the second time , only 43 years and 3 months after my first visit on May 30, 1973.

First occasion had 93,500 and last night 22,314.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

northstandexile
First Team Star

Nov 14, 2018, 10:40 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #64 of 69 (6549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Halifax 1-2 Mansfield Div3 14th February 1976
Fc Halifax 0-1 Mansfield PSF 23rd July 2011

Both games at The Shay, 35 years, 5months, 9days.

Also found this one
Aston Villa 0-1 Mansfield div3. 31-8-1970
And Villa Park again
Aston Villa 0-0 Southampton 19-4-2014

43 years , 7 months, 20 days

Looks like I will be breaking my record next Tuesday when I should be visiting the Valley, Charlton Athletic
My last visit was to see a League Cup tie vs Mansfield was in Sept 1972, So over 46 years between revisits

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 14, 2018, 11:05 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #65 of 69 (6532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Halifax 1-2 Mansfield Div3 14th February 1976
Fc Halifax 0-1 Mansfield PSF 23rd July 2011

Both games at The Shay, 35 years, 5months, 9days.

Also found this one
Aston Villa 0-1 Mansfield div3. 31-8-1970
And Villa Park again
Aston Villa 0-0 Southampton 19-4-2014

43 years , 7 months, 20 days

Looks like I will be breaking my record next Tuesday when I should be visiting the Valley, Charlton Athletic
My last visit was to see a League Cup tie vs Mansfield was in Sept 1972, So over 46 years between revisits

They spent a year or two playing elsewhere so according to some you can count that as a new ground Tongue

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

NoGuruNoMethod
Junior Team Regular

Nov 15, 2018, 1:46 PM

Post #66 of 69 (6396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Very interesting thread was last at Croft Park Blyth in August 1974.(not a clue who opponents were).
Returned May 2016 Blyth Spartans v Workington play off semi final.
Personally it was quite emotional wondering where the years had gone.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 2, 2018, 6:49 PM

Post #67 of 69 (5851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NoGuruNoMethod] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went along to Swindon Town’s County Ground today to watch the FA Cup giant-killing of Swindon Town 0 Woking 1. This was my first return since 29th April 1995, a length of...

23 years, 7 months and 3 days

...since me and TheWavendonian attended Swindon Town 0 Portsmouth 2 in the away end on the day that Swindon were relegated to the third division.

Geofftheref
Ballboy/girl

Dec 2, 2018, 10:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #68 of 69 (5749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
[size 2
I love posts like this. How about these for my first few grounds: Feethams, Durham City (Old Ferens Pk), Roker Park, St James Park (could revisit that I suppose, some may say its a tick given none of the ground I first went to in 1975.

I too remember Feethams (Darlington). I think houses are built on the football pitch now. Whilst trying to get my Class 2 for football refereeing I ran the line there for a pre season friendly between Darlington and Rochdale.
But getting back to grounds that ?I have never been back to I went to watch Darlington away at Crewe’s Gresty road in the second round of the FA Cup in 1966/67. They lost 2-1 and we never saw the Darlington goal as when a steam engine went past the smoke drifted over the pitch. I make that just over 52 years.
They also got to the quarter finals of the league cup during my team supporting days. Read a book on football grounds once for the football league clubs which described the facade that you went through from Victoria Road as the twin towers....the only twin towers that Darlington would ever see........the author was wrong on that one. Went past the old ground just last week and the twin towers are still there.

(This post was edited by Geofftheref on Dec 2, 2018, 10:57 PM)

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

Dec 5, 2018, 5:35 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #69 of 69 (5235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geofftheref] Longest time between Re Visits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I recall watching Chesterfield beat Halifax 2-0 on a wet and windy evening ( round about 68-69 I think) and last Sunday I saw the Spirites go down 2-0 to Grimsby ( a gap of about 50 years) but of course at the spanking new Proact stadium, Saltergate having long gone.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3