First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 9, 2016, 1:15 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #1 of 49 (6618 views)
Shortcut
BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. Can't Post or Reply Privately

The BBC has published a cast photo for the remake of Are You Being Served which is be part of the BBC celebration of 60 years of tv sitcoms. Other remakes will include Porrisge and Up Pompeii. I'm not usually one for remakes, Reggie Perrin was very disappointing, although Still Open All Hours and Danger Mouse have worked well and haven't changed from the original format.

These new remakes should be one-offs and it will be good to see how they compare to the original.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37008782

BigJR
Reserve Team Star

Aug 9, 2016, 1:36 PM

Team(s): Chelsea, Corinthian Casuals

Post #2 of 49 (6602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have doubts about re-making such brilliant classics.

derekn
First Team Star

Aug 9, 2016, 1:40 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #3 of 49 (6597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigJR] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They're using the original scripts so if they were funny before, they will be now, current taste notwithstanding

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 9, 2016, 2:24 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #4 of 49 (6564 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm not usually one for remakes, Reggie Perrin was very disappointing, although Still Open All Hours and Danger Mouse have worked well and haven't changed from the original format.

Not a remake exactly, but one sitcom that definitely did benefit from a change of format from its original was 'Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads'.

And TheWavendonian swears that 'Going Straight' (the follow-on from 'Porridge') is one of his all-time favourite sitcoms (though personally I'm not that convinced!)

Ropemaker
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 9, 2016, 2:48 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #5 of 49 (6537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
They're using the original scripts so if they were funny before, they will be now, current taste notwithstanding

Some are using the originals, some are new scripts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...s/2016/sitcom-season

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 9, 2016, 2:53 PM

Post #6 of 49 (6536 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
I'm not usually one for remakes, Reggie Perrin was very disappointing, although Still Open All Hours and Danger Mouse have worked well and haven't changed from the original format.

Not a remake exactly, but one sitcom that definitely did benefit from a change of format from its original was 'Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads'.

And TheWavendonian swears that 'Going Straight' (the follow-on from 'Porridge') is one of his all-time favourite sitcoms (though personally I'm not that convinced!)

Whatever happened to the Likely Lads, although not a remake was a continuation of the original series, portraying the lives of Bob & Terry 5 years on. This would be a sitcom that would be ideal for an update, as in where they are today and how their lives panned out since the the 1970's) with the original cast but sadly will never happen.

Going Straight is another excellent series. Not sure how far you could take this, once Fletch was free from prison there is not a lot you could do with the character.

Steptoe & Son would be ideal for a one off remake, providing an original script was used and the Liver Birds would be relevant today given the current housing issues younger people have these days.

I think a Hancock Half Hour as also been remade with an original script.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 10, 2016, 7:27 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #7 of 49 (6399 views)
Shortcut

All remakes should be banned, that includes all TV series! Mad
Try coming up with something new! Oh sorry, they have, and in general it's normally ****!
I'm glad I was around for 80s/90s TV Wink

637 GROUNDS - AFC Fylde(61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

PaulC

Aug 10, 2016, 9:46 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #8 of 49 (6372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
All remakes should be banned, that includes all TV series!

I think I would agree with that. Just show the originals again.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 10, 2016, 10:25 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #9 of 49 (6350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
All remakes should be banned, that includes all TV series!

I think I would agree with that. Just show the originals again.

There are a couple of channels that show most of the above mentioned sitcoms all the time and i'm another who has no interest in watching remakes.

BigJR
Reserve Team Star

Aug 10, 2016, 10:37 AM

Team(s): Chelsea, Corinthian Casuals

Post #10 of 49 (6343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Using original scripts is fine, BUT, the delivery is just as important.

The skill of timing and working well together such as Messrs Barker and Jason.

jon b
First Team Star

Aug 10, 2016, 1:12 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #11 of 49 (6275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Unfortunately, a lot of old tapes at the Beeb etc were wiped so it's either remakes or nothing.

On radio they've been re-running a series of Hancock Half Hour remakes with Kevin McNally voicing Hancock. I've enjoyed them.

Personally, I'd like to see a re-run of "It aint half hot Mum!" the PC reaction would be as fun as the shows themselves.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 10, 2016, 3:54 PM

Post #12 of 49 (6223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The one off remake of Porridge will be about Fletch's Grandson who is in prison for cyber crimes, so will be a new script.

Chris1963

Aug 10, 2016, 4:01 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #13 of 49 (6217 views)
Shortcut

Cyber crimes? That reminds me of the joke about Saudi Arabia (or similar countries) where they cut off your head or your hands for certain crimes. If you commit computer crime, they cut off your electricity!

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 10, 2016, 4:33 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #14 of 49 (6199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Personally, I'd like to see a re-run of "It aint half hot Mum!" the PC reaction would be as fun as the shows themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y2WIOa7CEI

Enjoy! Wink

jrev61

Aug 10, 2016, 6:20 PM

Team(s): None

Post #15 of 49 (6122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y2WIOa7CEI

Enjoy! Wink

'Love thy neighbour' would be even better.

jrev61

acmold

Aug 11, 2016, 9:02 AM

Post #16 of 49 (5820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or

Yesterday and Drama are both showing Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads at the moment. Like Dad's Army on a Saturday night on BBC2 (in my view) they are still funny no matter how many times you watch them.

Ropemaker

Aug 11, 2016, 10:37 AM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #17 of 49 (5747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Yesterday and Drama are both showing Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads at the moment. Like Dad's Army on a Saturday night on BBC2 (in my view) they are still funny no matter how many times you watch them.

I happened to catch a bit of one of those "I know things were different back then but even so how on earth did these things ever get made" progs a while back.

Along with the usual suspects Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads was given a slot for Bob and Terry's remarks about schoolgirls. So I can't see it on BBC2 any time soon unfortunately.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

kirby knitters

Aug 11, 2016, 11:00 AM

Post #18 of 49 (5724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I happened to catch a bit of one of those "I know things were different back then but even so how on earth did these things ever get made" progs a while back.

Along with the usual suspects Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads was given a slot for Bob and Terry's remarks about schoolgirls. So I can't see it on BBC2 any time soon unfortunately.

I watched it last night and they were asked to leave a boozer by the landlord who called them a couple of fairies. Never get away with that sort of thing these days unless of course in sainsburys in Hackney!!

acmold

Aug 11, 2016, 4:36 PM

Post #19 of 49 (5568 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or

There are still comedies today that don't seem that PC, I watched Man Down (which I quite enjoy but would do so more without out all the swearing) and that is very near the PC mark at times.

It's a cross between the Inbetweeners, Time Team and Grange Hill.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 11, 2016, 5:24 PM

Post #20 of 49 (5528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There will be a new series of Still Game which isn't PC at all.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 29, 2016, 3:46 PM

Post #21 of 49 (5012 views)
Shortcut

I watched the 2 most recent remakes, Are You Being Served and Porridge. The first was ok for a one of remake. Roy Barrowclough portrayed Mr Grainger very well and Matthew Horne's role of the young Mr Grace worked well. I wouldn't like a new series though.

Porridge saw Nigel Norman Fletcher, played by Kevin Bishop, inside for cyber crimes. The whole episode worked well. it was written by the original writers Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais. There was one character from the original series, now sharing a cell with Fletcher. I think this would work as a series due to the quality of the writing of Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 2, 2016, 4:19 PM

Post #22 of 49 (4799 views)
Shortcut

The latest BBC sitcom remake has been shown. This was Till Death Us Do Part. (BBC Four)) This wouldn't be made for today's PC viewing audience due to the content., even this remake would be seen by some as unacceptable The remake worked well and Lizzie Roper played Dandy Nichols as Elsie Garnett very well. Simon Days portrayal of Alf Garnett lacked Warren Mitchell's cockney edge although the script was well written by original writer Johnny Speight.

I forgot to mention that this was an original script from a lost episode and not a new script.

(This post was edited by Tykeoldboy on Sep 2, 2016, 5:08 PM)

kirby knitters

Sep 2, 2016, 4:31 PM

Post #23 of 49 (4793 views)
Shortcut

With Goodnight Sweetheart tonight at 9 on BBC1 followed by Young Hyacinth.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 2, 2016, 5:13 PM

Post #24 of 49 (4762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] BBC 60 years of the tv sitcom. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Goodnight Sweetheart is a new episode set in 1962, it is 17 years since the series finished, so makes sense being 1962 (17 years after the end of the war), The original cast will return, both women from the latter 3 series and again written by the original writers.

kirby knitters

Sep 2, 2016, 5:25 PM

Post #25 of 49 (4736 views)
Shortcut

I've enjoyed them all. There is a Hancock's Half Hour to come, any more?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3