Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non League Football Information: Shameless Plugs:
Turned over by Dover...FA Cup dream ends for Hillians

Townsendaround
Junior Team Star

Oct 21, 2016, 6:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 6 (8140 views)
Shortcut
Turned over by Dover...FA Cup dream ends for Hillians Can't Post or Reply Privately

http://www.townsendaround.co.uk/...m-ends-for-hillians/

Burgess Hill Town, Dover Athletic, the FA Cup, and a little bit of local politics.

midfielder
Junior Team Regular

Oct 27, 2016, 4:04 PM

Team(s): Burgess Hill Town

Post #2 of 6 (7631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Townsendaround] Turned over by Dover...FA Cup dream ends for Hillians [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for posting this.

I was hoping that be Hillians would win this one and reach the FA Cup 1st round for the first time.

Alas, it was clearly not to be.

Your comments about Dover's extra pace and power are interesting, demonstrating again the differences in the levels of the game.

I had a very happy season playing in the reserves of Burgess Hill Town back in 1982/83 and at that time, the 1st team was in the Sussex County League (Step 5), 2 divisions / levels from where they have risen to now.

I had been playing for Winchmore Hill in the Southern Amateur League, mainly in the 1st team, for the previous 5 seasons and the standard at BHTFC was just a bit higher.

The SCL was always one of the stronger County leagues and the Hillians used to get a home crowd of nearly 250 every game in their tree-lined ground.

Again, the players were a bit quicker, stronger and more skilled.

By the time I got used to the reserves, I always felt I could have not disgraced myself at 1st team level, having always done well in practice matches in training with the 1st team players. I would have been stretched to the limit, though.

Of course, matches are different to training and looking back, I had a terrific time playing in the reserves with a great bunch of lads and an inspirational manager (see below).

We won the Reserves' League (East Section), the Reserves' League Cup and were runners-up in the Mid Sussex Charity Cup after a defeat to Franklands Village at Heywards Heath's lovely ground.

Away games were played in some super grounds across Sussex including games at Eastbourne United and Eastbourne Town, both grounds used to football at a higher level in the past.

Below, I've put a link to a post I wrote on my blog about our manager back then, Ken Swallow, who died in tragic circumstances with his wife after an accident with a gas heater at their home over Christmas a couple of years ago.

Finally, a question on Burgess Hill's ground - I noticed that one of your images shows Dover fans standing under a covered stand. Is this a new structure? When I was there and up until recently, the only covered stand was the one down the right hand side (from the changing rooms / club house) with the seats in it.

Here is the link to my Ken Swallow tribute;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/football/football-editorial/goodbye-gaffer-my-tribute-to-sussex-football-man-ken-swallow-the-man-with-the-big-heart/

Read my football and cricket memorabilia blog website linked to an Ebay Shop; http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/

(This post was edited by midfielder on Oct 27, 2016, 4:13 PM)

Townsendaround
Junior Team Star

Oct 27, 2016, 4:13 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 6 (7622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [midfielder] Turned over by Dover...FA Cup dream ends for Hillians [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the nice words.

They've built a new stand behind the goal at the clubhouse end (and have recently covered it, it was uncovered when first installed), and also installed a small covered terrace at the opposite end, to the right of the goal as you view it from the front.

They had to do this to meet Ryman Premier League requirements last season, but the council had to be pushed to grant permission and the deadline was only just met.

midfielder
Junior Team Regular

Oct 27, 2016, 4:15 PM

Post #4 of 6 (7618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Townsendaround] Turned over by Dover...FA Cup dream ends for Hillians [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the fast reply.

I wonder why the council is dragging its heels on the issue of the ground.

Have they got other agendas with development or commercial property in mind?

BHTFC is a wonderful club and I can't imagine it not being there.

Read my football and cricket memorabilia blog website linked to an Ebay Shop; http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/

Townsendaround
Junior Team Star

Oct 28, 2016, 4:36 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 6 (6431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [midfielder] Turned over by Dover...FA Cup dream ends for Hillians [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd say yes to both of those questions. But in truth the whole council is afflicted by a lack of common sense and inertia.

midfielder
Junior Team Regular

Oct 28, 2016, 4:39 PM

Post #6 of 6 (6429 views)
Shortcut

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

PS Back in 2006ish, I went to Haasocks and thought the ground was being developed quite well. Nice setting.

For some reason, I'm at a loss to remember / explain, back in 82/3, I didn't play there with BHT even though I'm sure Hassocks were in the same East section of the Reserves' league as we were.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3