Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non League Football Information: Shameless Plugs:
Guide to the Sportsview Book of Soccer annual

midfielder
Junior Team Regular

Nov 18, 2016, 4:25 PM

Team(s): Burgess Hill Town

Post #1 of 1 (2771 views)
Shortcut
Guide to the Sportsview Book of Soccer annual Can't Post or Reply Privately

Here is the latest brief guide post I've put on my football (and cricket) memorabilia blog website just now on the Sportsview Book of Soccer Annual.

I've titled the post Dimmock's Domain as Peter Dimmock was such a pivotal character in everything to do with the annuals and the programme they represented.

As a TV programme, albeit with no competition in days long before the satellite and digital age, Sportsview, established as a mid-week magazine programme, developed a viewership of over 8 million people weekly.

Grandstand developed off the success of Sportsview and became the Saturday afternoon sporting fix for many sports fans for many decades. General sports annuals were published under both programme's titles.

The top broadcasters of the era, David Coleman, Kenneth Wolstenholme contributed to the football annual before having annuals under their own names. Wally Barnes was also involved.

In the case of Sportsview, the football annual was first published in 1958 and lasted for 8 editions until just before the 1966 World Cup Finals, an ironic time to end, considering how well the annuals had covered the build-up to the tournament.

It may have been a coincidence but the annuals stopped their life around the same time that Peter Dimmock left the programme to take on other roles with the BBC.

Like most other annuals of the era, the Sportsview Book of Soccer looked back at the previous seasons highs and lows with excellent written and photo content on the top competitions, clubs and players.

The annuals are a lovely snapshot of their time but also a reminder of an iconic sports programme which set the bar for everything that followed in sports broadcasting.

In the post, there is the usual summary of the annual's story followed by a review of each annual year by year.

As always, all page views are much appreciated, as are any comments on here or on the comments section below the post on the website;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/football/football-annuals/dimmocks-domain-brief-guide-sportsview-book-soccer/

Read my football and cricket memorabilia blog website linked to an Ebay Shop; http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3