Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Obituaries and Remembrances:
Cyrille Regis, MBE (Molesey, Hayes, West Brom, Coventry, Aston Villa, Wolves, Wycombe, Chester, England)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jan 15, 2018, 8:41 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #1 of 8 (2585 views)
Shortcut
Cyrille Regis, MBE (Molesey, Hayes, West Brom, Coventry, Aston Villa, Wolves, Wycombe, Chester, England) Can't Post or Reply Privately

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42687285

https://www.expressandstar.com/...e-to-baggies-legend/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCVze6H9B4

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 900; Rugby Union 263; Rugby League 214; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jan 15, 2018, 8:57 AM)

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 15, 2018, 9:12 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #2 of 8 (2550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Cyrille Regis, MBE (Molesey, Hayes, West Brom, Coventry, Aston Villa, Wolves, Wycombe, Chester, England) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am so saddened to hear this. Cyrille Regis was a tremendous striker, but more importantly always came across as a very affable and humble man.
One of my strongest memories of Cyrille is him playing for Chester at Orient in 1995. He was at the end of his career but he was head and shoulders above anything else on the pitch that day. He scored one of Chesterís goals in a 2-0 win and was subbed about 15 minutes from time. He left the pitch to a standing ovation from the Orient fans, such was his master class that day.
Taken from us far too early, my condolences to all who loved him.
Rest in peace Cyrille.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 15, 2018, 9:45 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #3 of 8 (2527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Cyrille Regis, MBE (Molesey, Hayes, West Brom, Coventry, Aston Villa, Wolves, Wycombe, Chester, England) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Very sad news indeed.

I grew up in the era of "The Three Degrees" watching them in a team playing a lovely brand of football albeit from the small screen and Cyrille in particular played a pivotal part in that.

RIP..One of the true gents of our game.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jan 15, 2018, 10:07 AM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #4 of 8 (2507 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Cyrille Regis, MBE (Molesey, Hayes, West Brom, Coventry, Aston Villa, Wolves, Wycombe, Chester, England) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Remember him from his Hayes days and followed him from there.

Great player, great bloke, and did a lot for black players in the 70s/80s in a very dignified way.

Very sad, especially leaving us so young.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jan 15, 2018, 2:57 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #5 of 8 (2319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Cyrille Regis, MBE (Molesey, Hayes, West Brom, Coventry, Aston Villa, Wolves, Wycombe, Chester, England) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good to see the BBC devoted a decent length slot to Cyrille during today's one o'clock news programme.

Cyrille and his West Brom team-mates played a small part in my mid teens. Even in the 70s, very few kids (certainly at my secondary school) went to 'live' football routinely. I always counted myself lucky my dad took me to football from the age of six. Dad grew up in Sheffield, a Wednesday supporter, but felt we should always support our local team. So, when the family lived in Doncaster, we watched Rovers; when we moved to the Halifax area, we switched allegiance to Halifax Town. I'd say ninety-nine per cent of my school pals followed football as (so-called) supporters of First Division clubs. Never saw them play, of course. It wasn't easy joining in Friday lunchtime discussions over selections and tactics for the following day's matches because none of my mates (sadly, along with most of Halifax's population!) had any knowledge of or interest in Halifax Town's players or prospects. So, I decided to add West Brom to my supporting portfolio. Mainly because, in the mid to late Seventies, they were a stylish footballing team, with several star players (Cyrille the leading light), yet still not ranked as equals with the likes of Man U, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton et al. Appealed to my love of the underdog. I recall I even went as far as having West Brom player posters, gleaned from Shoot! magazine, on my bedroom walls. Cyrille prominently displayed, of course. I'd say having an interest in the team boasting the 'Three Degrees' meant I had a special feeling for two black players - Everton Carr and Cec Podd - who were on Halifax Town's books around the same time.

Rest in peace, Cyrille. A life lived well, if tragically short.

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 900; Rugby Union 263; Rugby League 214; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jan 15, 2018, 5:56 PM)

SME
Youth Team Sub

Jan 15, 2018, 5:47 PM

Team(s): Bradford Park Avenue Sutton United

Post #6 of 8 (2165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Cyrille Regis, MBE (Molesey, Hayes, West Brom, Coventry, Aston Villa, Wolves, Wycombe, Chester, England) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I had exactly the same experience at school in Bradford. Then 4th Division, City had few followers in my class despite it being easy to get to the games for the City fans compared with our 1st Division friends. Ces Podd became first black player in the Football League to receive a Testimonial. Bradford City played a game against an all-black XI with many stars including Regis, Batson and Cunningham turning out. Connections made at this match led to Ron Atkinson sending a full strength WBA team to play a pre-season friendly at Valley Parade the following year - the names involved (I think Albion had just finished 6th in the league) were sufficient to attract some of my higher division school colleagues for a rare visit down to the local ground.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 15, 2018, 11:37 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #7 of 8 (1960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SME] Cyrille Regis, MBE (Molesey, Hayes, West Brom, Coventry, Aston Villa, Wolves, Wycombe, Chester, England) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My main memory of Cyrille Regis is when I was at Ferndown Upper School in 1987. The week before some of the rounds in Coventry City's FA Cup winning season the team came down south to train on the pitches at Ferndown Sports Centre while staying at the now closed 5 Star Dormy Hotel, next to Ferndown Golf Course. One lunchtime I was playing football with friends at the same the Coventry team were training accross the field. When we spotted him we started chanting 'Cyrille, give us a wave!' and even got a mention in the Bournemouth Echo, who had a reporter at the session.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jan 20, 2018, 7:56 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #8 of 8 (1525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Cyrille Regis, MBE (Molesey, Hayes, West Brom, Coventry, Aston Villa, Wolves, Wycombe, Chester, England) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It was a wonderful gesture by the PL for all teams in the PL to have a one minute applause before games this weekend and all teams wore black armbands. WBA are planning a tribute for their next home game next week.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3