Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #1 of 15 (2822 views)
Shortcut
Friday 23rd February 2018 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Trowbridge & District League Division One
Oakfield Stadium #2
Melksham Town 'A' 6 Calne Eagles 2
F&N Attendance: 10+

Don't often drop down to Step 8 but the home team are having a good season and as a 'starter' for tomorrow's game, this was worth a saunter up the road. Bitterly cold, but the home side put on a very good display and played some excellent football against a competent Calne side.
In the end the score didn't flatter; they were that much better and this 'A' side are young and talented with a good mix of Youth and Sunday sides.
Scoring sequence as follows:1-0(12), 2-0(16), 3-0(26), 3-1((33), 4-1(41), 5-1(44), 5-2(60) and 6-2(72). Pick of the goals was the home side's 6th, lashed from 30 yards into the top corner.
Also - omen...the team they beat play in all-blue...just like Thatcham...Wink

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 100 Goals: 394 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 58

noprogs
First Team Regular

Feb 23, 2018, 11:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 15 (2711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Friday 23rd February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Witham T 1 Heybridge Swifts 1
Bostik North
Admission 4 (codger) programme 2

The highlight of the first half was a booking for a visitor within 5 seconds, thehome player had barely left the centre circle. Heybridge had most of the play and territory, but created little. They led five minutes into the second half but didn't kick on and fell to a sucker punch on 90.
Not a great game but a very bobbly pitch - I am too used to 3g!
Witham must be delighted however with the switch to a Friday fixture. with a crowd of 407 compared to previous season's best of 140 & 141

(This post was edited by noprogs on Feb 24, 2018, 12:05 AM)

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 24, 2018, 8:37 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #3 of 15 (2168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Friday 23rd February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Porlock 2 Stogursey 2 (4-5 pens) (West Somerset Rose Bowl) Att: 4 h/c f&n

Freezing night at the Bridgwater Academy 3G, which requires no description other than to note the viewing area that runs two thirds of the length of the pitch. This was a much better game than my two previous Taunton League encounters, with Division 2 Stogursey finally overcoming their Division 1 'hosts'. This was one of a number of cups that are played midweek in this league, all games on this 3G or the one at Castle Sports in Taunton. The Academy is also home for Middlezoy Rovers Athletic and Sydenham Rangers, so I won't need to tick them now. Hooray.

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 24, 2018, 10:20 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 15 (2045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Friday 23rd February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Bostik North

The highlight of the first half was a booking for a visitor within 5 seconds, thehome player had barely left the centre circle. Heybridge had most of the play and territory, but created little. They led five minutes into the second half but didn't kick on and fell to a sucker punch on 90.
Witham must be delighted however with the switch to a Friday fixture. with a crowd of 407 compared to previous season's best of 140 & 141

Having been to their previous Friday fixture, I'm amazed at this crowd. Was it all the publicity about "The Witham One" this week? He had a bit on local TV, as well as all the hits on You Tube.

NeilH
Youth Team Star

Feb 25, 2018, 7:30 AM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #5 of 15 (1846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Friday 23rd February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Foxton 0 Hemingfords United 0
Cambs League Premier Division
played at The Sports Centre 3G, Back Lane, Greater Cambourne, Cambs

As this was only up the road from me took the warm coat and headed to Cambourne for a local "tick", given I'd not counted my visit here last Saturday as missed chunks of both halves due to other commitments. This game switched to give Foxton Rec a rest after the recent wet weather.

Arrived just as the game kicked off, for once pleased that the game was a few minutes late in starting. As expected a fair few hoppers had made the effort, with the official headcount being 45. After a fairly dull opening 25 minutes or so Hemingfords gradually took control of the game, seemingly adapting much better to the 3G surface than Foxton.

Hemingfords were 2-0 up at half time and took complete control in the 2nd, rattling in six more. The previous weekend Foxton had won away at Hemingfords and I noticed this morning that Foxton apologised for the fiasco of a performance on Friday via their twtter feed.

A cold but enjoyable night out, and back indoors within 15 minutes or so of the final whistle.

zebedee
First Team Star

Feb 25, 2018, 6:25 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #6 of 15 (1622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Friday 23rd February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Willington 0-1 Hebburn Town
Northern Two

Two matches in the Northern League this evening, slightly oddly only a couple of miles apart, with Crook also being at home. I doubt it was any warmer there. Willington' ground ticks most of the boxes for the archetypical Northern League ground, having a big old stand, some big grass banks and clubhouse decorated with press cuttings from a Wembley cup victory.

The game wasn't particularly exciting, with Hebburn scrambling in the only goal after about 25 minutes. It keeps them in the mix for promotion, which looks a bit beyond Willington now.

noprogs
First Team Regular

Feb 25, 2018, 6:29 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 15 (1611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Friday 23rd February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Bostik North

Having been to their previous Friday fixture, I'm amazed at this crowd. Was it all the publicity about "The Witham One" this week? He had a bit on local TV, as well as all the hits on You Tube.

Sky did have a camerawoman and a reporter there, and I think there must have been some deal because there were a lot of kids there as well.
Having said that there seemed to me to be more away fans than home.

NeilH
Youth Team Star

Feb 25, 2018, 6:43 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #8 of 15 (1596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Friday 23rd February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That should read: Foxton 0 Hemingfords United 8 (eight)

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Feb 25, 2018, 11:39 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 15 (1458 views)
Shortcut

Royal Albert 0-1 Bellshill...Mc .Adm 5....Bovril 1
This game was played at Carlukes John Cummings Stadium south of Motherwell .Had a quick look round town and put my football coupon on for Saturday....it got me in out of the cold wind for a while.Back at the groud I met a number of football travellers from Tooting,Halifax and Brum...all with plans for tomorrow but wary of the weather.
A plastic pitch and 8 lane running track never helps making a ground appealing.Add to that 5 sets of goals and a dugout either side and it wasnt surprising the view was distant and not always great.Their is a 10 step terraced Stand for cover inside the ground as well as refreshments and toilets.Its pretry much a one sided ground for spactators but no one minded if you went for a walkabout on the far side.
A goal on 62 minutes was all that seperated the sides at the end of the game as the Sky Blues took the points.It was good to get back on the road and get warm again.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

hotchkiss
First Team Sub

Feb 26, 2018, 11:52 AM

Team(s): wolves,non league

Post #10 of 15 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Friday 23rd February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

GRONINGEN (0) 1 BREDA (0) 1 Eredivisie Division.Admission bought on line 25 Euros.Programme 1.50 Euros Att: 21,875. Another early morning start for the 8-30am Rynair flight to Eindhoven ( about 47 return ) from Stansted.After Sorting out the hire car we headed for our hotel in Groningen. Parking seemed tight at the ground so we paid 1.50 an hour in the the underground car park under the stadium.Nice stadium with all green seats.Our seat was near the front opposite the main stand as there was plenty of empty of empty seats we moved towards the back for a great view.Decent game with relegation threatened Breda equalising near the end.

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 26, 2018, 12:07 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #11 of 15 (1287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Friday 23rd February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Royal Albert 0-1 Bellshill...Mc .Adm 5....Bovril 1
This game was played at Carlukes John Cummings Stadium south of Motherwell .Had a quick look round town and put my football coupon on for Saturday....it got me in out of the cold wind for a while.Back at the groud I met a number of football travellers from Tooting,Halifax and Brum...all with plans for tomorrow but wary of the weather.
A plastic pitch and 8 lane running track never helps making a ground appealing.Add to that 5 sets of goals and a dugout either side and it wasnt surprising the view was distant and not always great.Their is a 10 step terraced Stand for cover inside the ground as well as refreshments and toilets.Its pretry much a one sided ground for spactators but no one minded if you went for a walkabout on the far side.
A goal on 62 minutes was all that seperated the sides at the end of the game as the Sky Blues took the points.It was good to get back on the road and get warm again.

Other sources give the score as 1-1, e.g.

https://gameofthrowinssite.wordpress.com/2018/02/25/royal-albert-v-bellshill-athletic/

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 26, 2018, 4:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 15 (1163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Friday 23rd February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Other sources give the score as 1-1, e.g.

https://gameofthrowinssite.wordpress.com/2018/02/25/royal-albert-v-bellshill-athletic/

And both clubs have it as 1-1, just amazed I've never got a score wrong with my memory. I probably have, but nobody noticed.

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Feb 26, 2018, 5:13 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 15 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Friday 23rd February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Aye I must hold up my hands and admit brain freeze on this one.Must post after each game rather than aftwr a weekend.A notepad maybe an idea as well!!!

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

Speedball
Junior Team Star

Feb 26, 2018, 5:25 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, King's Lynn Town & England

Post #14 of 15 (1140 views)
Shortcut

King's Lynn Reserves 1 Wisbech St Mary 2
Eastern Counties Division 1 - played at The Walks
Attendance: 100 (approx)
Admission: 5 No programmes but managed to get a free teamsheet

A draw would have probably been a fair result but Wisbech took their chances and Lynn didn't. Not the greatest of games. At times, both sides played some nice stuff but periods of the game were scrappy. Certainly there was no one on show who looked like they'd be progressing to the Lynn first team any time soon.

Ipeland
Reserve Team Star

Feb 28, 2018, 11:25 PM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #15 of 15 (839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Speedball] Friday 23rd February 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunderland U23 1-1 Hull City U23 (0-0 HT) at Eppleton Colliery Welfare
Premier League Cup Group Stage
Admission: 3, Programme: None, Teamsheet: Didn't see any, Tea: 1.20, Mince pie: 1
Attendance: 173 (announced)

Missed out on a previous Sunday match due to oversleeping and probably won't be here for the Durham FA county cup finals that'll be held here so decided to tick this ground off for this match. First half was pretty dreadful, with both sides being incredibly poor quality for professional players as well as not being keen on attacking. Fortunately the second half perked up a bit, with the visitors waking up first, Keane Lewis-Potter knocking in at the far post after the Sunderland keeper missed a free kick on 55 minutes. This goal spurred Sunderland on and they got an equaliser with around five minutes remaining, substitute Luke Molyneux getting on the end of a ball in the box before slotting past the keeper into the far corner. Decent little ground, Northern League standard with one decent sized stand with a section of terracing at the top, grass banking on the other side can also offer a raised view, hard standing otherwise. Tea bar at one end, serves usual range of food and hot drinks, first time I've ever paid more for a tea than a pie, both were reasonable. Decent sized car park if coming by car and there's plenty of street parking nearby, if coming by public transport the X1 bus from Newcastle stops at an interchange a few minutes walk away with reasonable timings for 1900 kick off, which is how I travelled to/from the ground. Back indoors just after 11pm.

Grounds visited: 240
Last new ground: Millfield (Crook Town)
Next planned fixture: Unsure

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3