Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Basque region trip

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Mar 5, 2018, 3:37 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #1 of 3 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Basque region trip Can't Post or Reply Privately

On Friday I was due to be on the 17:45 easyjet flight from Stansted to Bilbao. During the week I`d checked to see if there had been an early canx. Thursday mornings Euronews showed snow laying in Bilbao but when I checked the forecast it was due to be mid to high teens. A few snowflakes as I drove to the airport after getting out of my road easier than expected. When my gate number came up I noticed it was snowing & snow ploughs were being used including clearing up where our plane would be. The plane arrived late & I was stil wondering if we´d go. Further delays sitting on the plane with it needing to be de-iced & the runway was also briefly closed. Thankfully we departed at aprox 20:20. Arrival time was at 22:05 rather than 20:45. I caught the bus into the city cost 1.45 Euros on the half hourly service. My accomodation was close to the centre. So somehow I´ve still never had a flight cancellation.

On Saturday I thought I was dreaming as I wasn´t cold outside for the 1st time in a long while. Lovely mild sun with only a few clouds about. I visted the Museo Diocesano de Arte Sacro & also purchased bus tickets for my trip on Sunday.

I later caught the metro to Gobela station with the ground across the road.

SEGUNDA DIVISION B GRUPO 2 (LEVEL 3)
ARENAS CLUB GETXO 2 (75 & 81)
CAUDAL DEPORTIVO 1 (39)
KO: 17:00 ATT: 287 H-C (Marca paper said 650) Cost: 20 Euros Saw no progs but I did pick up a team sheet which also had league table & next weeks round of games.

VENUE: CAMPO GOBELA, CALLE LUIS LOPEZ OSES, LAS ARENAS-GETXO
Very enclosed ground with artificial pitch & 4 corner white floodlights on top of concrete blocks. Only 1 side for spectators which is slightly elevated & has 10 rows of covered green seats with a walkway half'way up with a rail. There´s railings at the front as well. In corner it goes down to 3 rows only with only part of 2 rows having the seats. There´s wider hardstanding area. This goes to each 6yd box. Also in corner is entrance to the clubhouse. The other 3 sides have high white metal mesh loking fencing. Behind one goal it´s very high The other 2 aren´t as high. THe other goal has caged fencing ontop with concrete wall behind with a brick building next to it. Other side has fencing on top with floodlights for other sports behind & then blocks of flats.

MATCH: 14th v 20th (2 wins in 27 games) out of 20
ACG made CD look half decent. ACG´s 1st shot was a free kick on edge of area after 26mins which gk tipped over. A wayward pass on 30mins saw CD scoop the shot just over. They took the lead when ACG player converted a cross giving his gk no chance. Within 2mins a lob went just over & moments later a shot went just wide. They could´ve been further ahead. Shots 2-7.

H-t lasted just under 15mins.

Stupidly CD sat back inviting pressure. ACG shot wide within 2mins of re-start. On 61mins a chance but player needed to make more contact, this hapened again with a header on 77mins. They did equalise with a volley which went in off the post. On 79mins they had a goal disallowed but got the winner was a free kick from an angle which went over everyone. At end CD attacked again but it was too late. Shots 7-4.

If CD had continued to attack throughout 2nd half they could´ve got something as ACG´s defence was suspect.

Towards end of the game I got a bit cooler.

I will post Sundays games tomorrow when I´m back in cold England.

If I had been in England at the weekend I wouldn´t have gone to a game. I wouldn´t have chanced going anywhere.

Regarding Ryanair - Although I still use them (not as often as I did - I don´t like the limited time of printing the boarding pass off) I do prefer easyjet.

(This post was edited by pinewoodste on Mar 5, 2018, 3:44 PM)

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Mar 6, 2018, 1:23 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Basque region trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On Sunday I was on the 08:45 bus to Irun which cost 7.77 Euros. A group of young lads were very rowdy & kept swearing repeating stuff over & over again which they thought was hilarious. Thankfully they fell asleep after an hour. It started to rain during the journey & the only other stop was Donostia/San Sebastian when there was a brief deluge. Not many people left on the bus to Irun which doesn't have a proper station. The bus uses the train station car park so I had to run to get out of the heavy rain but it soon stopped. The bus arrived approx. 10:35. The train departure board also lists the bus departures. I then walked back to the outskirts of the town to watch:
-
Giupuzcoa - Preferente Division (level 6)
Club Deportivo Marino 0 (miss pen 75)
Santo Tomas Lizeoa Kirol Elkartea 1 (51)
KO: 11:30 Att: 64 h/c Cost: Free Saw no progs
-
Venue: Campo Ugalde-Ventas, on a road called Araba Kalea, Irun

Artificial pitch with 3 floodlight poles each side. Only 1 side for spectators. Behind near goal is hardstanding path in front of metal changing rooms. Behind is a large marquee then blocks of flats & beyond are houses then hills. Behind far goal is a tiny covered stand with fencing but I reckon this is used for when games are played using half the pitch. The main side also has one in one half. Also behind far goal is netting & behind is grass banking & trees although this is outside the ground but the gate was open. People walked through the ground during the game. Behind are industrial units & hills. One side has high netting with bushes & trees behind. There's industrial units & blocks of flats & in corner views of trains. The main side is elevated up 8 steps. Straddling half-way line are 4 steep rows of covered terracing with metal rail at front. Either side at an angle is h/s behind railings. In near half is a snack bar with overhang above tables & chairs. Next to this is a covered area with long wooden benches & tables with shutters down to the possible snack bar. Spacious behind cover & far side. Behind fencing is car park to the big industrial unit.
-
Match: 9th v 5th out of 16

As the game wore on it became sunnier & almost mild but a bit of coolness in the air.
STL shot wide on 5mins & made gk save on 12mins. Another save came from a 25yd free-kick on 19mins. CDM had a chance saved on 29mins & a couple of mins later should've done better with a shot going wide. STL had a 1on1 with gk but gk saved. Shots 5-7.
-
Just over 16mins h/t break.
-
STL #17 scored & a couple of mins later shot was saved by the gk. CDM had a chance to equalise from 6yds out but defender dived down & the ball deflected off him & went over. #17 had a 1on1 with the gk but the gk came out on top before he hit the bar. In between CDM had a penalty which went well over the bar. On 90+mins a cut back was perfect but from 2 yds out STL player somehow tapped it wide. Shots 6-7.
-
STL should've won by a lot more but if CDM had scored the penalty who knows what would've happened.
-
I walked to the town & had a wander, it was warm. I got to Irun Colon station on the EuskoTren network & decided to pay 1.70 Euros for the 2 stop 4 min journey to Hendaye/Hendaia in France. I had just over an hour there including seeing the Stade B.Lizarazu which is just a railed pitch close to the waters edge. The signs in the town are in French & Basque. It was now t-shirt weather.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Mar 6, 2018, 1:24 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Basque region trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went back on the train 1 stop as Irun FICBA is closer to the ground.
-
Segunda Division B Grupo 2 (level 3)
Real Union Club Irun 3 (23, 26 & 71)
Club Deportivo Lealtad Villaviciosa 1 (56 pen)
KO: 17:00 Att: 436 h/c (Marca paper said 500) Cost: 25, 15 & 12 Euros Saw no progs
-
Venue: Stadium Gal, Irun

I liked this ground. 2 corner floodlight poles with lighting along the main stand roof. Fully railed with advert boards with wide h/s path at front. Main side has overhang at front due to the stand being elevated approx 16ft with a rail at the front. There's 12 rows of covered white seats which reach each 6yd box with brick structures in the corner. Opposite are 7 rows of covered white seats with black seats spelling out the club name. This reaches one 6yd box. There's h/s area at the back & just behind is the River Bidasoa. Behind both goals are 3 steep rows of terracing. The one which is covered has the cover continuing behind & is used down the side of the 2nd pitch. There's then houses & hills behind. The other goal has concrete wall, advert boards & an industrial unit.
-
Match: 12th v 17th out of 20

Little happened except RUC scored twice in 162 seconds. Shots 2-4.
-
H/t break lasted just over 14mins.
-
Cloudy & a lot cooler in 2nd half. LV shot just wide on 53mins & moments later a looping header beat the gk but hit the post. They then converted a penalty. On 70mins RUC had a header which gk dived & punched away. Moments later a cross was volleyed at the gk but same player converted the rebound. The game then petered out. Shots 6-4.
-
I walked back into the centre with the temp dropping just into single digits. I caught the 20:45 bus back which cost 7 Euros & started with a number of people to start with before almost filling up at Donostia/San Sebastian. It arrived at a milder Bilbao at approx 22:30.
-
On Monday I spent just over 3 hours at the Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao. The sun gradually went during the afternoon & there was some rain & it appeared a bit heavier at night. A bit cooler today as well. I caught the 21:25 flight home & it arrived at Stansted at 22:00, 20mins early.
-
I was hoping for a quick journey home but diversion on the newer part of the A120 at Braintree & then on the A12 at Colchester. I did see snow still by the side of the road on the A120 this side of Braintree & also near Capel St Mary.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3