INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: General:
Beaver Hateman message

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Apr 10, 2018, 4:27 PM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #1 of 22 (6562 views)
Shortcut
Beaver Hateman message Can't Post or Reply Privately

Recalling that the thread regarding ACMold's whereabouts was in this section, I trust that I am posting in the correct part of the forum, but would ask moderators to move if necessary. Thanks chaps.

Many of you on the recent South West hop gave BH a much appreciated send off of kind words as he left Brixham on the Saturday, prior to him undergoing open heart surgery the following Friday.

My good lady (her words) and I then spent the Sunday with him and Mrs BH pub crawling between Brixham and Newton Abbot before he had his last alcohol at the Platform 5 microbrewery in Torquay, followed by his final football fix at Plainmoor on Easter Monday.

I am pleased to advise that the surgery went so well, I was able to visit him this morning. He was in some pain, although medication was controlling matters very well, other than when he coughed. He is already doing regular walks of the hospital corridors (I suppose he can't count it unless he does a complete circuit) as part of his physio and incredibly will be going home on Thursday.

I know he is in a BUPA hospital but the menu choice for his lunch was incredible. Bream in thyme was my preferred offering today but I came home to a mushroom omelette. Mad. He is already talking about taking in a match in May

He was really touched by all the good wishes he received in Devon and thanks you all. Until he is on the circuit again he would be happy to hear from anyone and has asked that you either post on this thread or send a PM which he will respond to after he has gone home. Good news.

agamemnon3
Youth Team Sub

Apr 10, 2018, 5:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 22 (6501 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Beaver Hateman message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don't know the man, but always enjoy reading his ramblings. I always felt him to be one of the most literate and entertaining posters on here.

He has my deepest sympathy for his current plight, and my sincere wishes for the speediest of recoveries.

As regards the BUPA hospital --- was it a new tick, or a revisit ?

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Apr 10, 2018, 6:19 PM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #3 of 22 (6439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agamemnon3] Beaver Hateman message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I know he will appreciate the message. Venue was Wellington Hospital, St John's Wood. I walked the final 400 metres from the tube of the same name. A new tick for BH, as far as I know. It was for me. I should have also said F and N.

Smile
I used to frequent the area many years ago, so it was sad to see the cheap commercial Beatles tourist tat on sale, it being around the corner from the famous Abbey Road crossing. I suppose it sells better than quality stuff.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 10, 2018, 6:41 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #4 of 22 (6424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Beaver Hateman message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Get well soon, Beaver Hateman.

It's good to hear that you are on the mend, and that you're tucking in to some quality nosh. I look forward to reading more of your very entertaining WDYG posts about your travels in the very near future.

Oxpete

(This post was edited by oxpete on Apr 10, 2018, 8:41 PM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 10, 2018, 7:29 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #5 of 22 (6385 views)
Shortcut

Shocked to hear this MDM - give BH all my best. A top bloke and great company; I look forward to quaffing with him in the not too distant future as long as no girly drinks are involved.
I'm sure he's a fighter - that goes a long way to dealing with the crap hands that life sometimes deals us.

Dave R
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 10, 2018, 8:37 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 22 (6338 views)
Shortcut

I don't know BH but, as someone who went through similar surgery, please give him my best wishes and tell him "welcome to the zipper club".

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Apr 10, 2018, 9:02 PM

Post #7 of 22 (6306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Beaver Hateman message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks BB, Oxpete and Dave. Will ensure he gets your best wishes. Sadly he has just texted me to say he is not having a great night but the support of you all means a great deal to him, and he is still optimistic of being home in 2 days. Your own positive overcoming of major surgery has given him great confidence.

Sad to report his drink of choice in Devon was rhubarb cider but he seems to have weened off the gin. Smile

ciderjon
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2018, 11:10 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 22 (6189 views)
Shortcut

Dear Beaver

Been so busy polluting the dwarves' drinking fountains, have only just seen this news. All us Badfort lot wish you a quick recovery , even the Old Humbug himself sends regards.

Has your BUPA menu got scob liver sandwiches or shall I send Hitmouse in?. He could hide some between the leaves of his hating book. Better than pigweed truffle buns anyway.

Can't stop long as the badgers are rumoured to be playing on a new pitch at Lost Clinkers tonight. If that's off it'll have to be spigots again and if I get spotted by you know who will kick me up into the most again.

Get very well, very soon

Yours hatefully

Nailrod

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 13, 2018, 5:08 PM

Post #9 of 22 (5783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Beaver Hateman message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't know BH but I enjoy his posts. Get well soon.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Apr 13, 2018, 11:30 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #10 of 22 (5606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Beaver Hateman message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My best wishes to BH. We travelled together to matches over 20 years ago I think and I've seen him sober twice possibly three times during that period.

All the best mate, will give you a call at home in due course.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Apr 16, 2018, 8:53 AM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #11 of 22 (5253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Beaver Hateman message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A quick update for all. B H texted me Saturday and we had a long chat over the phone Sunday.

He is home and recovering well, unable to drive for 6 weeks and won't be drinking for 6 to 8 weeks. So your brewery shares may dip slightly for the next few weeks!

He told me he is already feeling better but has loads of tablets to take each day.

He also said he was touched by the messages he received and reiterates his thanks.

Kit-Kat
Junior Team Star

Apr 16, 2018, 3:07 PM

Team(s): Cabbage & Ribs

Post #12 of 22 (5139 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Beaver Hateman message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Glad to hear from Dave56 that you are on the mend. He also expressed his glee at making you laugh. Looking forward to see your cheery smile at a hop in the not too distant future. Chin up, old mate. You will soon be off the wagon.

CND67
First Team Star

May 20, 2018, 6:22 AM

Team(s): Wolverhampton Wanderers & England

Post #13 of 22 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Only just seen this post. I can confirm that BH is well on the mend and was out at Buntingford Town yesterday enjoying the sun (ok one arm, but you can't overdo these things!).

In fact such is his recovery he's managed a trip to Tring brewery yesterday and is probably drinking the beer he purchased for MDM (sadly he couldn't make it in the end yesterday) as you read this.

Has a great day yesterday even if the two football matches (Buntingford & the cup final) were a bit of the poor side

Last New Ground: Retford FC
Grounds Visited: 1,136

(This post was edited by CND67 on May 20, 2018, 6:24 AM)

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

May 20, 2018, 12:42 PM

Post #14 of 22 (4475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CND67] Beaver Hateman message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry to have missed you CND67. [email protected]@@@@@ builders pulled out in the end too. I blame Derby Singh Bros as I would have been well on the way to getting BH to Moira, when the builder phoned, if they hadn't pulled out. Beers on me next time.

As you say great to see how well BH is doing. Met with him and Henfield Bee last weekend and he outdrunk me by a mile, although it was me in pain and on antibiotics that day.

Looking at the opposition I will give Shirebrook Rangers a miss next weekend but may try to twist BH's arm to risk one final blast to some field before the CONIFA "season" kicks in.

I do know that BH had been really grateful to you, and very many others, in taking the trouble to get in touch over the past 6 weeks which has really hastened his incredibly speedy recovery to date.

Beaver Hateman
Junior Team Star

May 20, 2018, 4:37 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Hertford Town

Post #15 of 22 (4377 views)
Shortcut

Six weeks after having my giblets slashed away at seems an appropriate time to post and express my thanks for the messages of support I have received. At the six week point after surgery loads of restrictions are lifted and a heart patient can begin to return to normal, reclaiming some of their previous life. Crossing this Rubicon has seen many limitations removed, not least the ban on driving. Being limited to shanks’s, lifts or public transport has been one of the most depressing aspects of my recovery.

One of the few positives in this situation was that it gave me the opportunity to carry out upgrades on the Hatemobile. Having the starting handle refurbished was one of my more inspired decisions. After a six week period of inactivity the old girl behaved impeccably, springing into life at the seventh crank. Whoever said the Standard 8 is just a poor man’s Morris Minor really needs to take a good, long look at themselves.

Messages of support have arrived in many forms, but I want to reply in public, to those who expressed their good wishes in a similar fashion. As such:

Agamemnon3: As you have said: never met you, but hope to one day. Get the feeling that you don’t live too far from Badfort. Glad that my thoughts amuse you. I hope to bring a little self deprecation to a hobby that can sometimes take itself too far seriously. The hospital was definitely a new tick. No programme, but I could get you a menu or appointment card should you wish?

Oxpete: Chuffed to receive approval from one of my favourite posters. I am an enthusiastic reader of your missives and your pub stuff is particularly informative. I hope that one day we are in the same victualler at the same time. Having said that I may have to be a bit more circumspect regarding ale consumption in the future. This means next season’s posts will have to relate the boring reality or resort to wild exaggeration. At the time of posting, the latter is very much the favourite.

It's a shame that you didn't particularly enjoy your recent visit to The Greenwood. I do tend to regard that establishment through nostalgia tinted glasses, so it's different for me. If it's any consolation the beer and service was that awful in the early 80s, too.

Buncranaboy: Do you know what, BB? Your post has got me thinking! I was never in this position before I took to girly drinks!! You could be onto something. I look forward to buying you a pint, and discussing this matter of great import at the earliest opportunity, preferably in a juniper free environment. We can investigate the curative properties of malt, and maybe write a paper or something. I reckon one day they will mention our names in the same breath as Curie, Babbage and Mandela etc.

Dave R: Thank you for your kind message. I understand that you recently met up with Dave 56. I hope you didn’t reveal the details of the Zipper Club’s secret handshake or he’ll be showing everyone, and any old riff raff could pass themselves off!

I have to say that my “zipper” is not the neat, straight line that the illustrations suggest, but is somewhat “rustic”, suggesting that the surgeon had a large Wetherspoons breakfast with “cold refreshments” before he set about me. Good man!!

On the downside, one avenue of generating income has been closed to me. The Badfort press publish a periodical for the Badfort thug-about-town: Play-Yob. Never again will I be asked to be their centrefold.

Ciderjon: Nailrod, you old sod! You always were the soft one. You may accept the Tyrant’s good wishes at face value, but has history taught you nothing? I have taken this opportunity of inactivity and enforced truce to purchase The Complete Uncle (£100, no dust jacket) to remind myself of his duplicitous nature!

Hostilities will be resumed at the earliest opportunity. Work on new obscenities to be directed at Wizard Blenkinsop is complete and I am at an advanced stage in the development of a crookball blight fungus.

Just out of interest, was there any overlap at Lost Clinkers, and did they issue a programme? Wouldn’t mind a copy if you’ve got a spare.

UKPunk: Not only kind comments, but wise words in general. It was you that kept me going when I frst started posting and wondered how my posts would be received. Not the first time I have reason to be grateful to you.

Kit Kat: We have PM’d and want to reiterate that you don’t get away that easy! Dave 56 speaks very highly of your knowledge of Edinburgh pubs. I will take advantage of this at the earliest opportunity, I am sure I remember you volunteering to be my carer for the day. Do they have motorised wheelchairs that far north? Hope so, or otherwise you’re gonna be bloody exhausted!

Special mentions must go to:

CND 67: A true gent who has offered to ferry me around, no matter how inconvenient. Went out of his way to pick me up and take me to Buntingford yesterday. It was awful, the git.

Dave 56: Has been in constant touch, and when I was just out of hospital did his best to see me back there by making me laugh, knowing that mirth was bloody painful. Glad to see that he hasn’t posted anything amusing since. I am sure this is only out of respect for me!

Go back a long way with Dave, and it was good to see him when we met in the Eastbrook. However, answering the question “How are you?” with the response: “Yeah, better than expected, thanks” seems to constitute going on about my operation. Be warned and don't tell him about your ingrowing toenail.

Main Drain Man: An overused expression, but Sigismund has been a rock. He came to visit me in hospital and has been in constant touch since. He was there for me in my time of need and the incident when he donned a spare a gown and tried to pass himself off as me to steal a shepherds pie from the hospital catering dept has been declared by the police as a misunderstanding. I for one am willing to accept the Met’s decision.

Such friendship deserves reciprocation, especially now that Siggi’s obsession with Val Doonican has returned with a vengeance, just when we all thought he was over it. Di is distraught.

He has been admitted to the Surbiton Infirmary for the Chronically Deluded, and as soon as he is released from the restraints I will be visiting him. Should you wish to send him a telegram, its ward 7A. Please try to avoid mentioning rocking chairs or cardigans, as it vitally is important that he is weaned off of them both before it's too late. And worse still, don't wish him luck with his VD problem!

On a serious note and without evangelising, I would urge anyone who is not sure of their health status to get themselves checked out. My story is not one of a heroic battle against a debilitating illness. I refused to accept the conclusions of experienced and highly qualified medical professionals all the way for the best part of 4 months.Eventually I had to succumb to their expertise. My resistance was fuelled by the fact that at no time did I experience anything that could be described as a symptom. The surgeon has told me that if this issue hadn’t been discovered a catastrophic cardiac arrest would have been inevitable. In that event, Main Drain Man would have had no doubt in regard of where to post about this issue. I’ve had a very lucky escape, get yourself seen to!

Once again, thanks all and see you all next season.

Everyone has the right to be in doubt, but this is not an obligation.

(This post was edited by Beaver Hateman on May 20, 2018, 5:17 PM)

Dave R
Reserve Team Sub

May 21, 2018, 5:55 PM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 22 (3925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beaver Hateman] Beaver Hateman message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What a superb post!
Glad you're on the mend.

leohoenig
Administrator

May 21, 2018, 6:57 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #17 of 22 (3887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave R] Beaver Hateman message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welcome back BH!

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

agamemnon3
Youth Team Sub

May 22, 2018, 3:47 AM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 22 (3695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beaver Hateman] Beaver Hateman message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A stunning post sir, well done !

Warm, honest, and at times, incomprehensible --- rather like Mary Beard, in fact, or possibly even Pam Ayres.

Curie, Babbage and Mandela ? Wasn't that the original half-back line-up at Middlesbrough Ironopolis ?

Beaver Hateman
Junior Team Star

May 22, 2018, 11:38 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Hertford Town

Post #19 of 22 (3604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agamemnon3] Beaver Hateman message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Me again! At the risk of making Dave 56’s comment regarding “going on about my operation” a reality, it was remiss of me not to express my gratitude to those who have passed on their good wishes via methods other than the forum.

Messages have reached me through PM’s, via mutual acquaintances and in person. Every single one has done me good, and not to acknowledge that it’s an omission that needs rectifying.

Alan B, Chelsea Spud, Beer Monster, The Wall, Henfield Bee, Hainault Dave and Old Knut I really do appreciate your kind wishes. Looks like I’ve got a lot of beers to buy people in the future. I’ll have to change my appearance.

The messages of support and kind comments keep coming, thanks everyone. I work hardest on the incomprehensible bits of my posts. Maybe I should throw some light on the goings on at Badfort? We’ll see.

Once again, thanks to everyone and roll on next season.

Everyone has the right to be in doubt, but this is not an obligation.

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

May 22, 2018, 10:05 PM

Post #20 of 22 (3380 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
UKPunk: Not only kind comments, but wise words in general. It was you that kept me going when I frst started posting and wondered how my posts would be received. Not the first time I have reason to be grateful to you.

You're very welcome sir, and it's great to see you're back in the saddle.

Regarding health, I had a check up less than a year ago and apart from a gammy knee (football and running related) it would appear I'm in fairly rude health. I can only echo your comments and urge others to get checked out.

Having said that, there was the time when the missus, someone with a nursing background, declared that she thought the mole on my arse looked dodgy. (No, seriously. I'm not making this up!)

So after a good deal of nagging I went to the doctor's and showed her the offending Nevi, at which she declared she didn't like the look of it either and that I'd have to come back and have it cut out.

So there I was, less than a week later, face down having the thing removed while the doctor and her female assistant discussed their holidays and all I could do was lie there silently wishing they'd just concentrate on the job in hand!

It had echoes of the time I had the snip. The procedure was carried out by two female nurses who spent the time discussing handbags! Not very reassuring when all you can think is, "Concentrate ladies!! I'd ideally like to remain a Dave, rather than being instantaneously converted into a Davina!"

When the results came back regarding the mole from my backside it was found there was nothing wrong with it! Crazy

Still, better safe than sorry I suppose.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

May 23, 2018, 10:42 AM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #21 of 22 (3262 views)
Shortcut

When the results came back regarding the mole from my backside it was found there was nothing wrong with it! Crazy

Still, better safe than sorry I suppose.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Arse', to quote from a certain character from the Fast Show.

Another who enjoys your posts BH, glad all went well! :)

2019-20 - 12 games, last Kidlington v Daventry T, 17/8, goals 27, avgpg 2.25, new grounds 3. Last - Northampton ON Chenecks, 11/8.
New Grounds in 2019 - 17. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1210.
RL Grounds - 33 (Last - Macron Stadium, Challenge Cup SFs (5/8/18), Speedway Tracks 50.

(This post was edited by WestBerksPalace on May 23, 2018, 10:43 AM)

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

May 23, 2018, 11:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #22 of 22 (3086 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

When the results came back regarding the mole from my backside it was found there was nothing wrong with it!

I had a small mole on my face removed in 2010 and never got the results! (presumably in my area they only inform you if the results show cancer - I suppose that is what is called a postcode lottery)

(This post was edited by greenwood on May 23, 2018, 11:05 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3