First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 8, 2018, 10:49 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #1 of 27 (4353 views)
Shortcut
     Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today   or Reply Privately

Limmy's 5-year tribute: (Warning, Very Strong Language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZzFXolGJc

Annual dram from my bottle of 25 year old Laphroaig tonight.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2018, 11:19 AM

Post #2 of 27 (4028 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [prorege] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Attachments: agree.jpg (11.7 KB)

PaulC

Apr 10, 2018, 1:39 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #3 of 27 (3969 views)
Shortcut

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 10, 2018, 10:26 PM

Post #4 of 27 (3860 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [PaulC] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Taking this twat seriously is akin to believing Jeremy Corbyn has been circumcised.

I don't need Google. I have a Hoddy.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 10, 2018, 10:42 PM

Post #5 of 27 (3848 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Climate Change] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Sorry cc but Kens views are bang on if you happened to live in The 80's. The Wicked witch wanted high unemployment to give her a bigger stick to bash the Unions.

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

(This post was edited by Towlawtom on Apr 10, 2018, 10:45 PM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 10, 2018, 11:05 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #6 of 27 (3824 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Towlawtom] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

From the moderation point of view, I would rather not even have a debate on Thatcher's legacy.
I was never a Thatcher supporter, so it does not fall to me to comment - but I find it deeply dissapointing that the only argument from her support on here is on the lines of her critic being a twat. This goes against the acceptable modes of debate, and if this is the standard of debate, then we are not going very far here before the thread gets locked. Similarly, refer to the Thatcher legacy, but lets not go in for childish name calling - even for the lady herself.

From the non-moderator point of view, and as someone who lived through the 80s, I cannot argue that Thatcher did not change the face of British politics - she was the most influential British politician of my lifetime (to date). I would argue that the change was not for the better - and without the Falklands war, it may have been cut short very quickly.

It seems there was a parallel in the pre-Falklands time to the current situation. The party in power has lurched to the right while Labour opposition has also abandoned the middle ground. In the early 80s, the breakaway SDP had credibility and appeared to have a chance of achieving something until the mad jingosim of the Falklands. This time around, it appears there is no one in line to seize the middle ground, so we just have the live with the mad jingoism of Brexit

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 10, 2018, 11:23 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #7 of 27 (3801 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [leohoenig] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Do you not find it sad that a thread has been started to celebrate the five year anniversary of the passing of the finest post war leader the UK has ever had? And people wonder why a ban on political discussion has not been implemented!!

agamemnon3
Youth Team Sub

Apr 11, 2018, 4:06 AM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 27 (3748 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [kirby knitters] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I find it desperately sad that a thread celebrating the anniversary of the passing of anyone has been started.

Prorege, what are you doing ? Even though I am a few hundred miles south of you, and I know little or nothing about some of the teams on which you report, I always look forward to your posts on WDYG --- they are always well-written, interesting, and informative, and often I find myself wishing that I was able to visit some of these places.

And yet now, what have you come up with ? Is this a one-off Prorege, or do you regularly celebrate the anniversaries of famous deaths ? Do you celebrate the anniversary of the death of Stalin ? Or Mao ? Or Pol Pot ? Or let's climb down the ladder a little --- what about Maurice Chevalier ? Or Ginger Rogers ? Or even Leonard Cohen ? When does it stop Prorege, all this celebrating ?

The moderators won't like this, but it needs to be said (no - what the poster added here never needs to be said -mod)

I hope you grow up soon Prorege, and I look forward to reading your next report on WDYG in due course.

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Apr 11, 2018, 7:14 AM)

prorege

Apr 11, 2018, 7:31 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #9 of 27 (3707 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [agamemnon3] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I wouldn't class Thatcher alongside Pol Pot, Stalin etc - I did not experience the injustices served by them. I do have personal experience of what Thatcher did to the communities in which I have lived.

I was sad about Leonard Cohen's death as I admired his many talents. No view on Maurice Chevalier or Ginger Rogers.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 11, 2018, 1:11 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #10 of 27 (3614 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [kirby knitters] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I rarely subscribe to politically-based threads but I do miss the Dear Leader.

The 80s were great - the world became technicolour once more after the late
70s, one of the drabbest eras for eons.

Tax breaks, shares in private companies - what a bandwagon to jump on.

Greed was/is good - if you are willing to get off your arse and do something
with your lives, rather than be at the behest of two-faced hypocritical union
leaders telling you what is right/wrong.

How many miners, if they'd had the choice, would have struck during the summer?

Dur.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

stingray
First Team Star

Apr 11, 2018, 2:52 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #11 of 27 (3559 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [DonQuixote] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Funny how the deaths of Harold Wilson, Edward Heath and James Callaghan don't seem to be marked or celebrated, given that neither of them covered themselves in glory (the devaluation of sterling, the three day week and finally bankruptcy, rampant inflation and the Winter of Discontent). Perhaps it's because two of them were Labour PMs. I wonder what the reaction will be when Tony B. Liar kicks the bucket.

Let's face it, I doubt even Winston Churchill was universally popular all the time.

2019/20 stats

21 goals in 6 games
£70.60 spent

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 11, 2018, 3:29 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #12 of 27 (3541 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [stingray] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I celebrate the anniversary of Churchill's funeral every year, if that's any help. My wife was born on that day. Tongue

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 11, 2018, 4:00 PM

Post #13 of 27 (3519 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Funny how the deaths of Harold Wilson, Edward Heath and James Callaghan don't seem to be marked or celebrated, given that neither of them covered themselves in glory (the devaluation of sterling, the three day week and finally bankruptcy, rampant inflation and the Winter of Discontent). Perhaps it's because two of them were Labour PMs. I wonder what the reaction will be when Tony B. Liar kicks the bucket.

Let's face it, I doubt even Winston Churchill was universally popular all the time.

I wasn't aware people celebrated the anniversary of that Repulsive womans death in a positive light. Now Harold Wilson yes. The only prime minister in my lifetime who stood up to the yanks and wasn't prepared to lick the presidents ass. .Also responsible for creating the Open university which many classes have benefited from.

(This post was edited by Towlawtom on Apr 11, 2018, 7:44 PM)

Isaac

Apr 11, 2018, 5:40 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #14 of 27 (3464 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Towlawtom] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I wasn't aware people celebrated the anniversary of that Repulsive womans death in a positive light. Now Harold Wilson yes. The only prime minister in my lifetime who stood up to the yanks and wasn't prepared to ass link the president at the time.Also responsible for creating the Open university which many classes have benefited from.

Presumably those who voted for her didn't consider her repulsive?

I have to say that this thread does seem rather pointless.

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 11, 2018, 7:35 PM

Post #15 of 27 (3423 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I wonder what the reaction will be when Tony B. Liar kicks the bucket.

One of immense joy, for me.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Apr 11, 2018, 7:40 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #16 of 27 (3418 views)
Shortcut

History will judge Mrs T to be one of our country's greatest leaders.

Her forcefulness and tenacity to see her policies enacted was something akin to revolutionary zeal. From the Falklands conflict to her dealings with the EU and the Unions she was single minded and had absolute belief that she was on the right side of history.
What other politician in our history has had a branch of economics named after her?

She took a bankrupt nation on its knees and forged an economic path that still resonates today. She was also instrumental alongside Reagan in eradicating the shadow that USSR cast across the world.

Sure there were losers, there is with every new administration. But does anyone really morn the passing of an outdated mining industry or British management that was hidebound by tradition and privilege. Or even a unionised workforce that was subservient to its misguided leadership?

She also took on the EU and the British civil service. Neither remember her fondly.

Her biggest mistakes were in social policy that saw the wholesale sell off of council dwellings, without the funds being ploughed back into new building projects, and the ill fated council tax.

In common with all other recent PMs her career ended in failure.
On balance I contend she will be remembered after Churchill, as our greatest 20th Century leader....

(This post was edited by Ronsdog on Apr 11, 2018, 7:48 PM)

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 11, 2018, 8:05 PM

Post #17 of 27 (3394 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Ronsdog] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I hold no torch for Mrs Thatcher but in the overall scheme of things thats relatively unimportant.

However, history will judge Mrs T to be one of our country's greatest leaders.

Her forcefulness and tenacity to see her policies enacted was something akin to revolutionary zeal. From the Falklands conflict to her dealings with the EU and the Unions she was single minded and had absolute belief that she was on the right side of history.
What other politician in our history has had a branch of economics named after her?

She took a bankrupt nation on its knees and forged an economic path that still resonates today. She was also instrumental alongside Reagan in eradicating the shadow that USSR cast across the world.

Sure there were losers, there is with every new administration. But does anyone really morn the passing of an outdated mining industry or British management that was hidebound by tradition and privilege. She also took on the EU and the British civil service. Neither remember her fondly.

Her biggest mistakes were in social policy that saw the wholesale sell off of council dwellings, without the funds being ploughed back into new building projects, and the ill fated council tax.

In common with all other recent PMs her career ended in failure.
On balance I contend she will be remembered after Churchill, as our greatest 20th Century leader....

She came into office in 1979 with unemployment at 5.8% and it hit its peak in 1983 during her leadership at 13.2% so never really get the argument that this country was on its knees when she took over.

We had record high interest rates with 1000's of people losing their homes, She was also responsible for the most unfair tax imposed on us in the uk's living history. Meaning a family of 4 living in a council house, paid 4 times as much as millionaire Lord snooty living in his luxurious 30 bedroom mansion

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Apr 11, 2018, 8:36 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #18 of 27 (3372 views)
Shortcut

What you say is quite true TLT but it ignores the fundamental flaws that the economy had displayed since the end of WW2.

The economy was structurally unsound and required root and branch reform to make it competitive once more.

Thatcher, who I never supported but clearly understood, realised that to modernise the nation, radical even revolutionary change was necessary. This was where her confrontational style was most effective.

In the last analysis, though, her stock in trade was division. By instinct, inclination and effect she was a polariser. She glorified both individualism and the nation state, but lacked much feeling for the communities and bonds that knit them together.

When she spoke, as she often did, about "our people", she did not mean the people of Britain; she meant people who thought like her and shared her prejudices. She abhorred disorder, decadence and bad behaviour but she was the empress ruler of a process of social and cultural feeling that led to polarisation but resonated with the majority of the population.

That's what leaders are about, agree with them or not, they lead. When the majority follow they become great leaders.

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 11, 2018, 10:16 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #19 of 27 (3311 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Climate Change] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I just cannot understand a comment like this.
The anniversary of her death may be a good time to discuss the Thatcher legacy (and hence the thread was not deleted immediately).
But whether you support them or not, the death of Thatcher, Blair, any other politician or any person for that matter should not be a cause for celebration.
You may have liked or disliked what they did in life, but Thatcher ceased to be influential long before her death, and try as he may, Blair has no influence on current affairs now.

If you do not like his policies, then celebrate him losing power, not the end of his life.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

steveking
Reserve Team Star

Apr 11, 2018, 10:53 PM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #20 of 27 (3280 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [DonQuixote] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Greed was/is good - if you are willing to get off your arse and do something with your lives, rather than be at the behest of two-faced hypocritical union leaders telling you what is right/wrong.

Can't agree that greed is good. Now ambition, that's a different matter.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Apr 11, 2018, 11:42 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #21 of 27 (3241 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Ronsdog] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To

What you say is quite true TLT but it ignores the fundamental flaws that the economy had displayed since the end of WW2.

The economy was structurally unsound and required root and branch reform to make it competitive once more.

Thatcher, who I never supported but clearly understood, realised that to modernise the nation, radical even revolutionary change was necessary. This was where her confrontational style was most effective.

In the last analysis, though, her stock in trade was division. By instinct, inclination and effect she was a polariser. She glorified both individualism and the nation state, but lacked much feeling for the communities and bonds that knit them together.

When she spoke, as she often did, about "our people", she did not mean the people of Britain; she meant people who thought like her and shared her prejudices. She abhorred disorder, decadence and bad behaviour but she was the empress ruler of a process of social and cultural feeling that led to polarisation but resonated with the majority of the population.

That's what leaders are about, agree with them or not, they lead. When the majority follow they become great leaders.

That's a very interesting post, although one of the features of the eighties was that most people did not agree with her, but she won her parliamentary majorities through the divided opposition and our political system.

I have actually applauded her in public, although I would never have voted for her; I lived in Sussex in 1985 which was around the time she reopened the Grand Hotel after the Brighton bombing, and my applause was a sort of response to standing up against terrorism.

As you say, though, Ronsdog, she was all about confrontation and division, and I have regretted that applause since. I don't celebrate her death, but I always remember her lack of understanding or empathy when people who were not "one of us" committed suicide as a result of her policies, which they did, believe me.

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 12, 2018, 9:50 AM

Post #22 of 27 (3143 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [leohoenig] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I just cannot understand a comment like this.

Didn’t ask you to understand it.
I don’t understand,or agree,with a lot of people’s views on here but they are still entitled to them.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 12, 2018, 3:41 PM

Team(s):

Post #23 of 27 (3044 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I see from your avatar that you support Wolves, and that the above posting was made at 7.35 pm last night. I hope you managed to make it to the Wolves v Derby County game, which kicked off 10 minutes later (unless you brought a laptop along to the game.)

007Dale
First Team Star

Apr 12, 2018, 3:49 PM

Post #24 of 27 (3036 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [greenwood] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I see from your avatar that you support Wolves, and that the above posting was made at 7.35 pm last night. I hope you managed to make it to the Wolves v Derby County game, which kicked off 10 minutes later (unless you brought a laptop along to the game.)

Have you just woken up from the nineties? We have these wonderful devices called mobile phones that allow you to do amazing things such as ‘surf the net’ or even make posts on forums.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 12, 2018, 3:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #25 of 27 (3030 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [007Dale] Thatcher - 5 Years Dead Today [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I see your point, but if I was a Wolves fan waiting for the game to start, then the last thing on my mind would be making a post about Tony Blair.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3