The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Regular

May 17, 2018, 1:35 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #26 of 42 (5156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited : Probably the Philips Stadion, PSV Eindhoven. For non-league I really liked Aveley
Favourite Ground Visited : Toss up between Windsor Park Belfast for NI friendly and I March Town United - old school grandstand and decent social facilities. I loved it.
Most Friendly Club Welcome : Snodland Town - everyone seemed very very friendly - really recommended trip.
Least Friendly Club Welcome : Again none really stand out.
Best Match Of the Season : Little Oakley 10 Team Bury 1 early in the season. Both were pointless after 3 games and they met. Was not expecting this - was 7-0 at half time.
Worst Match of the Season : I have been really lucky as I have seen nothing that was really dire that I can recall. I am sure that will change with England v Nigeria in a couple of weeks.
Best Food Served : Generally tend to eat before I leave - however the burger, fries and salad at KAA Gent last weekend in their 'Buffalo Bistro' was delightful.
Non League Person of the Season: Difficult to single out one person. My vote goes to all the volunteers at clubs, leagues and the match officials. Without any of them we would struggle to indulge in our passion. Take a bow all of you.

markust
Youth Team Regular

May 17, 2018, 3:15 PM

Post #27 of 42 (5068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onion_bag] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited : Ossett Town
Favourite Ground Visited : Marine
Most Friendly Club Welcome : Abbey Hulton United - Half time rave!
Least Friendly Club Welcome : Hanley Town
Best Match Of the Season: Mossley 0-2 1874 Northwich FAC
Worst Match of the Season: Warrington Town 0-0 Altrincham in FAT - For the love of god please someone have a shot....
Non League Person of the Season: Vicki England - 1874 Northwich. As above, 69 fixtures to arrange, pitch inspections by the dozen, fixture changes every other day and all with a full time job to fit in too!

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

May 17, 2018, 9:28 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #28 of 42 (4801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [markust] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best New Ground Visited : Blyth Spartans and York City
Favourite Ground Visited : Blyth Spartans - a classic
Most Friendly Club Welcome : probably Whitby - Eastleigh are usually pretty good, and there's always a warm welcome in the Hampshire Prem!
Least Friendly Club Welcome : none, but Lymington were definitely the least friendly team
Best Match Of the Season: Eastleigh 4 Hartlepool 3
Worst Match of the Season: Sholing 0 Blackfield and Langley 0 (even the penalty shootout was boring) - definitely my record season for 0-0s
Best Food Served: not much sampled but Blyth Spartans' chicken curry and chips was pretty good
Non League Person of the Season: managers: John Askey and Luke Garrard - generally: all league fixtures secretaries who had to deal with all the postponements/reschedules

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on May 17, 2018, 9:29 PM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 26, 2018, 5:19 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #29 of 42 (4107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having just received news that means I now cannot attend any CONIFA matches (I now know why Timmy Tabby always refers to it w**k!), the season has now ended for me and I can make my contribution to the Onion Bag Awards, which I always enjoy doing. So for the 2017~2018 season...

Best ground visited -
Being someone who resolutely dislikes change and progress, the battered surrounds of Grimsby Town's Blundell Park felt like my spiritual home to me. Rusty wicker floodlight pylons, creaking old infrastructure, a central location crow-barred into racks of Victorian terraces, and a passionate following of locals was everything I tend to love in a football ground. There aren't enough of these sorts of grounds left in the 92 anymore.

Favourite ground visited -
Both the homes of Halesowen Town and Hastings United were packed with old-fashioned non-league personality - especially Haleowen's terracing and Hastings' old wooden bench seating in the cavernous old stand. I loved the supporters' club shop at Bradford Park Avenue - its junkyard vibe was a real highlight of the season. And lower down the pyramid there was plenty to like at Great Wakering Rovers.

Most friendly club welcome -
Despite an appalling season on the pitch, the good people at Shoreham did not forget how to be fine hosts, with everyone at the club appearing hard-working and friendly - I wish them all the best for the future. Just about everywhere was friendly, but Bristol Manor Farm, Pershore Town and Hendon were others that particularly stood out.

Nothing to do with their welcome, but I'd also like to point out AFC Telford United, where I ended up the night 'The Beast From The East' hit. Here, the groundstaff worked a miracle to clear the lines of snow and the terraces of ice, and (with the help of a braver-than-usual referee) they got their match played on a night where almost every other fixture for miles around was called off. This was the second time I'd been to Telford United - the first time was on New Years Day 2014, when the heavens opened and the pitch looked like a farmer's field. But on that day, too, the groundstaff obviously worked their nuts off and got the match on, again on a day where hardly anything else was played.

Least friendly club welcome -
It's so easy to pick on a big club, but even now I can't understand why the powers that be at Leeds United chose to cram 15,000 spectators into the tightest corners of their near-40,000 capacity stadium for the League Cup fixture v. Port Vale. Even their own fans were moaning about not being able to sit in their usual seats!

Best match of the season -
Without a doubt it's Aldershot Town 1 Ebbsfleet United 1 aet, with Ebbsfleet winning 5-4 on penalties in the National play-offs: a fantastic match in a glorious old ground with the most passionate old-fashioned terrace-based atmosphere I've experience in years. I thought nights like this one only existed in my childhood memories.
Coming a very close second was Accrington Stanley 3 Preston North End 2, with Stanley maybe showing the first hints of the sort of season they were about to have.
In the early stages of the FA Cup, I remember enjoying Hayes &Y 4 Maldon &T 3 aet, and Wroughton 4 Letcombe 4 was another belter.

Worst match of the season -
Hardly recognisable as the same sport, Chalfont St.Peter 0 Aylesbury United 1 on a bitterly cold night was a proper 'what-am-I-doing-here?' moment.

Best food served -
The chips at Bristol Manor Farm were wonderful.

Non-league person of the season -
I'll nominate Derek Pope, the chairman at Havant & Waterlooville, who has been putting his time and money into non-league football in Havant for forty years now. He deserves to enjoy next season more than anyone.

Matches - 70

New grounds - 42

Goals - 256

0-0s - 2

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 26, 2018, 8:37 AM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #30 of 42 (4048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited : Rapid Wien is an impressive new build

Favourite Ground Visited : Royston Town has plenty of home-made charm

Most Friendly Club Welcome : Swindon Supermarine seem a friendly bunch

Least Friendly Club Welcome : Nothing really springs to mind, which is refreshing

Best Match Of the Season : Euxton Villa 3-2 Longridge Town was excellent entertainment

Worst Match of the Season : No real stinkers this season, but Trethomas Bluebirds 1-0 Pontyclun had very few highlights

Best Food Served : Excellent sausages at Penybont

Non League Person of the Season : Buckley Town manager Dan Moore has assembled a championship-winning team of players who live within 10mins of the ground. Remarkable turnaround from last season's pitiful relegation, and a real community spirit has been generated.

rambler77
First Team Star

May 26, 2018, 4:53 PM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #31 of 42 (3935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited :
Rotherham United's New York Stadium

Favourite Ground Visited :
Wembley FC's Vale Farm.

Most Friendly Club Welcome :
Maltby Main - could not speak highly enough of them, so much that I plan to visit them again this season.

North Greenford United deserved a mention as well.

Least Friendly Club Welcome :
non particularly unwelcoming, though Higham Town (Northants Comb) had issues with my camera as there was a lad under the age of 18 playing. No photos that day. I have been told since that they are a funny club anyway.

this was Brixworth's response on twitter when I posted that no photos were being taken...

"More political correctness bull shit , take them anyway."

Best Match Of the Season
16/12 - Quorn v Westfields (3-3). A belter of a match before Christmas.

Worst Match of the Season
20/11 - Leicester City Under-23's v Sunderland Under-23's (0-0) borefest

Best Food Served
the Chicken Balti pie @ Rotherham was top draw.

Special mention - to the girl on the tea bar @ Thame United who went out her way to make a sandwich for my then 11 month old daughter on the August Bank Holiday. Only hot food was on the menu.

Disappointment of the season:
two clubs not sending me hard copies of their programmes when I allowed them to use my photo(s).

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

halsteadhumbug
Youth Team Sub

May 27, 2018, 2:45 PM

Team(s): Halstead Town

Post #32 of 42 (3784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rambler77] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited : Windsor
Favourite Ground Visited : Cornard United, always enjoy going there but no idea why!
Most Friendly Club Welcome : Shaw Lane Association all staff so friendly.
Least Friendly Club Welcome : prefer not to say
Best Match Of the Season: S Shields 3-1 Bridlington T FAC Preliminary Rnd 19/7/17
Worst Match of the Season: Team Solent 0-0 Bournemouth was poor. And that's being kind.
Non League Person of the Season: Every groundsman up and down the country who got the game on in atrocious conditions. I salute you all. Thank you.

intheshire
Youth Team Regular

May 27, 2018, 3:02 PM

Team(s):

Post #33 of 42 (3770 views)
Shortcut
Re: [halsteadhumbug] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited: King Power Stadium

Favourite Ground: Some crackers this year - Ton Pentre shades it with honourable mentions for Bath, Maidenhead and Goytre United.

Most friendly welcome: Hard to choose for all the right reasons - Wellington FC (Hereford) get the vote though.

Least friendly welcome: Nothing specific springs to mind. A couple of teams had a couple of objectionable supporters but nothing too bad.

Best match: Wolves SC 3-4 Leighton Town was a cracker. Honourable mentions for the performances of Taunton and Thatcham in demolitions of Salisbury and Broadbridge Heath respectively. Seeing Coventry knock out Stoke in the FA Cup was fun.

Worst match: Thame 1-0 Cambridge City was a dire game in a biting wind.

Best Food: I enjoyed my faggots, chips and peas at Bedworth.

Non league person - all the fixture secretaries who got the leagues finished in extraordinarily trying circumstances, and all volunteers as ever.

Instagram: JBattheground
www.instagram.com/JBattheground

Last Ground (187): Racecourse Ground, Wrexham

Rebel Yeller
Youth Team Star

May 27, 2018, 3:31 PM

Team(s): Hopper

Post #34 of 42 (3750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [intheshire] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Best Ground Visited: Don't go to too many Step 1 or 2 grounds but did enjoy my visit to Borehamwood

Favourite Ground: Slough Town. The new Arbour Park is well worth many visits

Most friendly welcome: Sheerwater. I've been here a few times and always ended up in conversation with one of the club officials.

Least friendly welcome: AFC Hayes. A surly man on the turnstile told me that they had sold out of programmes when there was 6 people in the ground. They clearly hadn't printed any. Not the first time I've felt like a nuisance for turning up here.

Best match: Middlesex League - FC Assyria 8 Pitshanger Dynamo 5. Need I say more.

Worst match: Surrey Elite League - Chessington KC 1 NPL 0. Even the goal was rubbish.

Best Food: Staines Town . An excellent tea bar here.

(This post was edited by Rebel Yeller on May 27, 2018, 3:32 PM)

Armchair Libero
Youth Team Sub

May 27, 2018, 3:37 PM

Team(s): Wigan Athletic, Atherton Collieries

Post #35 of 42 (3745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onion_bag] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best ground: Memorial Stadium, Bristol Rovers (league) / Dimple Wells, Ossett Albion (non-league)
Favourite ground visited: Sports Ground, Knowle (home of Clee Hill United)
Most friendly welcome: Ludlow FC.
Least friendly welcome: Normally happy to name and shame, but nothing springs to mind this season.
Best match of the season: Wigan Athletic 1 - 0 Man City (FA Cup) / Colwall St. James 0 - 1 FC Korono (Worcester League Div 2)
Worst match of the season: TIE: for quality of play - Monmouth Town 1 - 6 Undy Athletic (Welsh League Div 1). for drabness of game - Hallow 0 - 1 Callow End (Vaughn Albone Memorial Cup, Worcester League).
Best food served: I don't often touch it with a bargepole but everything I had was uniformly shite except a large coffee at Evesham that was passable.
Non-league person of the season: bit of a loner at games so don't do much interacting. Spoke to a chap at the aforementioned Monmouth-Undy game who I wouldn't be surprised if he posted here. He was nice.

(This post was edited by Armchair Libero on May 27, 2018, 3:38 PM)

richiejenn
First Team Star

Jun 4, 2018, 6:36 PM

Team(s):

Post #36 of 42 (3333 views)
Shortcut

Best ground visited: Arbour Park, Slough Town
Favourite ground visited: Coggeshall Town
Most friendly welcome: Crowborough Athletic
Least friendly welcome: Club Langley
Best match of the season: Crowborough 5-0 Croydon
Worst match of the season: Club Langley 4-1 Old Roan, for the fighting between the teams during and after the match.
Best food served: Melksham Town
Non league person of the season: Keith Harmer, Crowborough match-day host. A great raconteur and nothing is too much trouble for this volunteer.

Matches: 35
New grounds: 15
Goals: 139
0-0 : 1

Wijit99
Junior Team Regular

Jun 13, 2018, 1:38 AM

Post #37 of 42 (2619 views)
Shortcut

Best Ground: Barcelona Nou Camp - just amazing how big it is, particularly when you sit in the very top row and the players look like ants.

Favourite Ground: Stade Malherbe Caen - fantastic stadium in France, 20,000 capacity but so compact you feel like your right on top of the pitch and the atmosphere is incredible.

Most friendly welcome: Kidlington - played them in the FA trophy and both sets of supporters where congregated in a small stand. Great fun having a laugh with the locals who were surprised to see some away fans for once.

Least friendly welcome: Hereford - for what is supposed to be a league club in non league the facilities for away fans are terrible. the food hut is barely big enough for the man to stand in and you only have a choice of a horrible stale hot dog or a horrible stale hot dog. The toilets are little more than a hole in the ground and you can't leave the area which has no drinks or you won't be let back in. You get better facilities at most Sunday league matches and you don't have to put up with the stewards who are looking for a fight at any moment. its funny that the police are in the away section when it is Hereford who have the violence problem.

Best match of the season: Gainsborough 0-6 Slough - brilliant match and a great atmosphere.

Worst match of the season: Kettering 0-0 Slough - what should have been an almighty top of the table clash was ruined by the weather. The gale force winds prevented any football being played added to the awful bumpy pitch, the game never got started.

Best food served: Chips and Maldon and Tiptree and Burgers at Windsor. The lady who serves food at Windsor is fantastic, always smiling and dancing away to the radio but still making sure you get exactly what you want.

Non league person of the year: Super Kev McGoldrick - long time physio who sadly passed away in the new year. There are hundreds if not thousands of non league players whose careers were extended due to this mans kindness and dedication. Years after players had left the club he was still ringing them up giving them advice on how to look after their injuries.

Dudley_BTFC
Youth Team Sub

Jun 13, 2018, 10:08 AM

Team(s): Manchester United, Bracknell Town

Post #38 of 42 (2499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wijit99] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Best Ground: Barcelona Nou Camp - just amazing how big it is, particularly when you sit in the very top row and the players look like ants.

Favourite Ground: Stade Malherbe Caen - fantastic stadium in France, 20,000 capacity but so compact you feel like your right on top of the pitch and the atmosphere is incredible.

Most friendly welcome: Kidlington - played them in the FA trophy and both sets of supporters where congregated in a small stand. Great fun having a laugh with the locals who were surprised to see some away fans for once.

Least friendly welcome: Hereford - for what is supposed to be a league club in non league the facilities for away fans are terrible. the food hut is barely big enough for the man to stand in and you only have a choice of a horrible stale hot dog or a horrible stale hot dog. The toilets are little more than a hole in the ground and you can't leave the area which has no drinks or you won't be let back in. You get better facilities at most Sunday league matches and you don't have to put up with the stewards who are looking for a fight at any moment. its funny that the police are in the away section when it is Hereford who have the violence problem.

Best match of the season: Gainsborough 0-6 Slough - brilliant match and a great atmosphere.

Worst match of the season: Kettering 0-0 Slough - what should have been an almighty top of the table clash was ruined by the weather. The gale force winds prevented any football being played added to the awful bumpy pitch, the game never got started.

Best food served: Chips and Maldon and Tiptree and Burgers at Windsor. The lady who serves food at Windsor is fantastic, always smiling and dancing away to the radio but still making sure you get exactly what you want.

Non league person of the year: Super Kev McGoldrick - long time physio who sadly passed away in the new year. There are hundreds if not thousands of non league players whose careers were extended due to this mans kindness and dedication. Years after players had left the club he was still ringing them up giving them advice on how to look after their injuries.

Did Hereford v Alvechurch two years ago (with Alvechurch fans) and 100% agree with your statement.

It's a shocking place for away fans and I certainly won't go back again.

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

Jun 13, 2018, 10:19 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #39 of 42 (2487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dudley_BTFC] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Did Hereford v Alvechurch two years ago (with Alvechurch fans) and 100% agree with your statement.
It's a shocking place for away fans and I certainly won't go back again.

Not a great experience when I went to Edgar St many moons ago and my wife was spat on when she went...I will not be going to Melksham's pre-season game against them

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 101 Goals: 399 GPG: 3.95 New Grounds: 59

RussWWFC
First Team Star

Jun 17, 2018, 4:45 PM

Team(s): Wycombe Wanderers

Post #40 of 42 (2114 views)
Shortcut

Favourite Ground Visited
Saffron Walden Town

Most Friendly Club Welcome
Quorn

Least Friendly Club Welcome
None

Best Match Of the Season
AFC Aldermaston 4-3 Milton United

Worst Match of the Season
Swindon Town 1-0 Wycombe Wanderers

Best Food Served
Glossop NE

More here: http://footygrounds.blogspot.com/...n-awards-201718.html

Visit my Blog - The Wycombe Wanderer
Follow me on Twitter @RussWWFC

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 4, 2018, 10:11 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #41 of 42 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussWWFC] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As the dust has settled on my 2017/18 season, and I'm still a few days away from beginning my 2018/19 ...

Best ground visited: Aveley - much better than I expected for a new build with an artificial pitch

Favourite ground visited: Coxhoe Athletic - proper old-style non-floodlit ground of a type rarely found outside of Scotland these days (at least for grounds I've not been to before)

Most friendly welcome - tricky as most games I simply turn up and watch the game without discussing groundhopping or where I've travelled from, but the friendly enthusiasm of the chap from the Glasgow Colleges FA taking the admission money for their cup final at Petershill was memorable.

Least friendly welcome - none spring to mind. Even the staff at Southampton's training ground were welcoming, although I doubt they would've been had I not got an email giving permission to watch their youth team game.

Best match: Isle of Man League 7 Liverpool County Premier League 4 aet in the FA Inter League Cup, even if extra time threatened to scupper my restaurant reservation. As it turned out we just made it in time, luckily it didn't go to penalties.

Worst match: none stand out hugely, but FC Hamlets 0 Hutton 1 on 'show pitch 2' at Hackney Marshes was a poor match at a poor ground. I'd planned to watch a cup semi final at Frenford but diverted to FC Hamlets when that was off at the last minute, so at least I saw a game on a new pitch.

Best food: There's not often food on offer at games I go to, but the free curry and chapatis at last month's Khalsa FF tournament in Leicester was very tasty.

Non League person(s) of the season: Should be shared by all those who volunteer at clubs and leagues so I can enjoy my hobby, but to be more specific I'll go for those who run Bellevue FC in the North East Wales League. The club was set up to provide football for local people from diverse multinational backgrounds. They suffered a torrid season but kept going to the end, even picking up a point late on, and I enjoyed a visit to watch them back in August.

Stats:

Matches: 131 (not including the early abandoned 'hop' game at Long Sutton Athletic)
New Grounds: 131
Goals: 669
0-0 Matches : 0

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

NoGuruNoMethod
Junior Team Sub

Jul 5, 2018, 7:01 PM

Post #42 of 42 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Went to the vase final in 2016 Hereford fans were very arrogant .
Morpeth played them off the park .

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3