Rye House Speedway Fold

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Jul 4, 2018, 8:54 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #1 of 7 (1786 views)
Shortcut
Rye House Speedway Fold Can't Post or Reply Privately

It was announced today that the Speedway Control Board have annulled Rye House's Licence due mounting debts, no real surprise as there last 2 fixtures had been cancelled. The move to midweek racing for the club has caused the issue with crowds rarely topping 500 this season, as it was i saw their last meeting on 20th June when they lost 44-46 to Belle Vue. A mate of mine had seen every home fixture this season and said the best estimate of a crowd was about 650 on Bank Holiday Monday v Kings Lynn and a crowd as low as 275 versus Swindon. Rumours abound that a number of tracks are in financial difficulty this season with crowds dwindling rapidly at some tracks and it will be a surprise if no other track fails to see out the season. It now means the top division is down to 7 clubs

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 4, 2018, 9:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 7 (1765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Rye House Speedway Fold [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The only hope the sport has got is if a few more clubs die. Then we can stop all this doubling up, race on nights that suit the clubs, and have a realistic 2 division structure. Wont happen but I can dream.
I started going in 1969, I regard myself as a keen fan having visited almost every track in Europe, but this season I haven't bothered, I watched a couple of meetings on you tube, the Wolves V Leicester was awful. Most races involved 2 x 2nd string 2nd division riders, it was only heats 13 and 15 where 4 reasonable riders came to the tapes. Not too sure how the change of race nights has affected other tracks, but I doubt if it's done them any favours.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 4, 2018, 10:16 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #3 of 7 (1750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Rye House Speedway Fold [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sad but inevitable. The first of many such closures, I expect. Of late, I've watched a few Polish and Swedish league speedway meetings on FreeSports. The quality of the stadia, the size of the crowds, the class of the riders and the excellence of the racing make the sport in Britain look decidedly amateurish and small-time. Which, of course, it now is. Even the old 500/500 jibe is out of date. Many attendances aren't that big! Went to Rye House a couple of times. The first was memorable for an overnight stay in a scruffy B&B near the track. The guy running the place served the greasiest breakfast I've ever seen (or declined to eat).

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 5, 2018, 8:33 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1670 views)
Shortcut

I've seen suggestions Rye House were losing 10,000 every home meeting this season. No wonder the plug has been pulled.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 5, 2018, 3:33 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1586 views)
Shortcut

Fighting talk from the Rye House promotion:

http://www.ryehouserockets.co/news.php?extend.1580

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jul 5, 2018, 3:33 PM)

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Jul 5, 2018, 8:15 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #6 of 7 (1511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Rye House Speedway Fold [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

IMO its not much of a statement, they need to expand greatly by stating what the issues were and what proposal was rejected, then people can judge for themselves if the BSPA were right or not to annul their licence. Like yourself i heard they were losing up to 10k per meeting and over 15 home matches that equates to 150k. It has been suggested that Rye House were paying 3 riders a guaranteed 2k per meeting with extra points money if they scored in excess of 10 points per meeting. If this is correct then Rye House needed 800 full paying Adults per meeting just to cover the guarantees, let alone paying any of the other riders and any other match expenses they will have been incurring.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jul 9, 2018, 3:43 AM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #7 of 7 (1369 views)
Shortcut

I was actually going to attend the meeting tonight! A local couple I know used to attend all their home meetings but work commitments mean they can't do weekday evenings, so they haven't attended this season as far as I am aware.

No doubt the move from Saturday has been unpopular with the fans and is a major contributor to their downfall. I had pencilled in the late May bank holiday fixture with King's Lynn which was originally scheduled for 3pm, trains were running, so an easy journey but they changed it to 19:30 for some unknown reason, so I didn't attend and perhaps fans with a long distance to travel decided not to either.

Hope they are back next year in some form or other.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3