Northern League 2018/19

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 31, 2018, 10:39 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #51 of 66 (8578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As I say, all about him . He seems to out himself on a pedestal re non league and ground hopping in general but I have found him a fairly bland and arrogant individual.

His "problem" is he wants his blog to be edgy enough to make his blog worth reading without pissing too many people off. It's a thin line

Northumbrian
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 1, 2018, 10:49 AM

Team(s): Ponteland Utd, Newcastle Utd

Post #52 of 66 (8379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I agree a two division structure of 16 teams each would be ludicrous but, whatever's going on in grass roots in the north east, the demise of Blyth and Team Northumbria is, in both cases, very much outside the norm.

Totally agree. Blyth AFC and Team Northumbria have no connection with grass roots football. Blyth AFC is just one man’s vanity project and university teams always sit a bit uneasily with the local community.

Also grass roots football in Northumberland/Tyneside isn’t doing too bad at the moment. The national trend seems to be losing sides and reducing league numbers but for 2018/19 the ‘far north’ has bucked the trend. The Northern Football Alliance has a full complement of 3 16 divisions. Below the Alliance the Newcastle Corinthians League has had a net gain of 5 sides compared to last season, The Tyneside Amateur League has a drop of 1 (mainly due to 3 promotions from last season) and the North Northumberland has held steady at 11 sides.
The Border Amateur League now has 4 Northumbrian sides, up from 3, and the East of Scotland League still has 1 too.
So overall below Step 6 there are more sides and players taking part in Saturday 11 aside football compared to last season.

keneastlancs
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 2, 2018, 1:54 PM

Team(s): all non league - especially north western teams

Post #53 of 66 (8105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Northumbrian] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

can someone point me in the direction of where I would be able to find out who had the free weeks in the northern league due to staring with only 19 teams in the northern league (as at start of season before demise of Blyth) thank you

Mello Yello
Youth Team Sub

Sep 2, 2018, 7:46 PM

Team(s): Torquay United, Whitley Bay, Blyth Spartans, non-league in general

Post #54 of 66 (7951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [keneastlancs] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It would have been whoever were due to play Team North (as the fixtures were already out by the time they withdrew), so other than 2 weekends (when Team North and Blyth AFC were due to play each other), there will be 2 teams not playing.

The groundhopper app still has the Team North fixtures on it (till the end of this month visible at the moment, 8th home to Stockton Town, 15th away to Ryhope CW, 22nd home to Newcastle Benfield and 29th away to Seaham Red Star), but already been a number of fixture changes in the Northern League, so not sure if they are still free.

keneastlancs
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 2, 2018, 10:34 PM

Team(s): all non league - especially north western teams

Post #55 of 66 (7845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mello Yello] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It would have been whoever were due to play Team North (as the fixtures were already out by the time they withdrew), so other than 2 weekends (when Team North and Blyth AFC were due to play each other), there will be 2 teams not playing.

The groundhopper app still has the Team North fixtures on it (till the end of this month visible at the moment, 8th home to Stockton Town, 15th away to Ryhope CW, 22nd home to Newcastle Benfield and 29th away to Seaham Red Star), but already been a number of fixture changes in the Northern League, so not sure if they are still free.

yes thankyou I realised it was whoever was to play team Northumbria and that is what im trying to ascertain. Do you have a link to the app you mention please?

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 3, 2018, 2:51 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #56 of 66 (7556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [keneastlancs] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

yes thankyou I realised it was whoever was to play team Northumbria and that is what im trying to ascertain. Do you have a link to the app you mention please?

On a smartphone, look in AppStore for 'groundhopper'

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (956) Wellington 0-2 Exmouth Town
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
12/10 FC UNited v Buxton
15/10 FC United v Basford United
19/10 Atherton Collieries v FC United

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 3, 2018, 3:15 PM

Post #57 of 66 (7531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The worst scenario would be that the LC still relegates the bottom 2 from NL1, no northeastern clubs come down from step 4 & the NL2 runners up miss out on promotion on a ppg basis. That would mean 4 clubs would have to be laterally transferred into the NL1.
I personally think that the LC will only relegate the bottom placed NL1 side & the odds of the runners up not being promoted are slim. So the LC would still have to find 2 extra clubs. So Knareborough, Harrogate RA & Carlisle City would be favourites.

Presumptuous to include a side that need to be promoted to be considered... Worst case is the LC still demand 2 relegatees from NL1 and the 2nd isn't in the top group by ppg. The latter is certainly not just a slim chance and it's unlikely a NL suitable side will come down from step 4 so we could need 2-4 teams transferred in. This isn't just for this year, it will continue whilst pooling is in place because NL will lose 3 teams per season (2 relegatees plus 1 promoted, but only get 1.6 back) - so even at full complement, NL1 will expand in most seasons. It's an inevitable consequence of putting pooling in place without first having an even structure below it to provide the same number of clubs.

Sarumio - the Northern league has enough quality teams to elevate 6-8 to step 4 and backfill from Northern Alliance and Wearside league. There's plenty of southern areas struggling to fill a single step 6 division, and having 2 Hellenic step 6 divisions of 14 with teams that barely win a game for years is hardly a sign of quality there. What should happen though is the step 5 and 6 boundaries should be ringfenced and aligned. Regions do have uneven numbers of step 5 and 6 divisions but if it makes sense for there to be a 1:1 ratio within a region, that should be allowed without forcing the step 5 division to expand to cover half another region

On the agenda:
12/10 FC UNited v Buxton

windydcfc

Sep 3, 2018, 3:51 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #58 of 66 (7499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pickering Town could easily be counted as a potential northern league side if relegated & they've had a poor start.

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

markust
Youth Team Star

Sep 3, 2018, 11:01 PM

Post #59 of 66 (7232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The worst scenario would be that the LC still relegates the bottom 2 from NL1, no northeastern clubs come down from step 4 & the NL2 runners up miss out on promotion on a ppg basis. That would mean 4 clubs would have to be laterally transferred into the NL1.
I personally think that the LC will only relegate the bottom placed NL1 side & the odds of the runners up not being promoted are slim. So the LC would still have to find 2 extra clubs. So Knareborough, Harrogate RA & Carlisle City would be favourites.

I can't see them moving Carlisle over. With the gentle persuasion that went on with the Evostik D1's East/West and the North/South split of the NWC D1's over the summer it seems the LC want the Pennines to be a hard boundary. I can even see Penrith going the opposite way eventually too.

robgrillo
First Team Star

Sep 3, 2018, 11:10 PM

Post #60 of 66 (7219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [markust] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't see the Pennines as being a hard boundary. Remember the NWC has three teams from the 'east' of the Pennines - Silsden, Steeton & Shelley.

LATE TO THE GAME - The origins of soccer in Bradford. Available from www.bantamspast.net

alderman friend
Youth Team Regular

Sep 4, 2018, 6:43 AM

Post #61 of 66 (7132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robgrillo] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I don't see the Pennines as being a hard boundary. Remember the NWC has three teams from the 'east' of the Pennines - Silsden, Steeton but with the northern league boundry moving southwards over the next few years they could end up in the north east counties league.

pokal02
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2018, 2:13 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #62 of 66 (6877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alderman friend] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A quick look at an atlas suggests to me that Carlisle/Penrith are better off in the NWCL at Step 6 but the NL in Step 5. I've never travelled directly from Carlisle to Newcastle though - what's the A69 like, especially in midweek?

Northumbrian
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 4, 2018, 4:05 PM

Team(s): Ponteland Utd, Newcastle Utd

Post #63 of 66 (6808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
A quick look at an atlas suggests to me that Carlisle/Penrith are better off in the NWCL at Step 6 but the NL in Step 5. I've never travelled directly from Carlisle to Newcastle though - what's the A69 like, especially in midweek?

It always takes about an hour (slightly less if you’re lucky). It’s single carriageway from Carlisle to just before Hexham and not too easy to overtake. It’s dual carriageway from Hexham to Newcastle which is very good.

windydcfc

Sep 4, 2018, 4:30 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #64 of 66 (6788 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Northumbrian] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

It always takes about an hour (slightly less if you’re lucky). It’s single carriageway from Carlisle to just before Hexham and not too easy to overtake. It’s dual carriageway from Hexham to Newcastle which is very good.

It must surely be quicker to travel from Carlisle to Northallerton. Than it would be to travel from Carlisle to Whitchurch? So I agree that the NWCL step 5, isn't the same as the NWCL step 6. With 2 teams likely to be relegated from the NPL1W into the NWCL Prem. Then teams like Silsden, Whitchurch & Carlisle(if promoted) will be the teams most likely laterally transferred. As for Carlisle, the LC has a track record for moving promoted teams first off all.

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

robgrillo
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2018, 6:09 PM

Post #65 of 66 (6715 views)
Shortcut

I hope for Silsden's sake (& Steeton's) they they don't get moved across to the NCE. Yes, the distances might be less but actual travelling time will increase massively. On a good day you can be over half way to Staffordshire or Carlisle (to the 'west') from there by the time you've waded through the Bradford district en route to Notts, Derbys et al to the 'east'.

LATE TO THE GAME - The origins of soccer in Bradford. Available from www.bantamspast.net

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 11, 2018, 4:33 PM

Post #66 of 66 (6023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [markust] Northern League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I can't see them moving Carlisle over. With the gentle persuasion that went on with the Evostik D1's East/West and the North/South split of the NWC D1's over the summer it seems the LC want the Pennines to be a hard boundary. I can even see Penrith going the opposite way eventually too.

Even if they were thinking of such boundaries, my point is because the number of divisions are uneven, and promotion is via a pooling pot rather than a logical area, the NL1 is set to expand into the North west and/or NCEL territory every year until it's covering an area which produces enough teams from NWC1N and NCE1 naturally. There is virtually no chance of Penrith going the other way at step 5 because there's more step 6 divisions in the North West, plus NP1W covers almost vthe same area as NWCP. So NWCP will lose 1 up and 2 down, but receive 4-6 (depending on ppg). Those excess clubs have to go somewhere - and the West Midlands also has 2 step 6 feeders so that's unlikely. At least one team will have to move from NWCP to either NL or NCEL, and possibly up to 3..

If Penrith were to be relegated, if the Northern League had a full complement, they would likely shift across to NWC1N but would undoubtedly be back in NL1 at step 5.

Robgrillo - Silsden's best chance of remaining playing in the North West next year is to get promoted to NP1W!

On the agenda:
12/10 FC UNited v Buxton

(This post was edited by oftenscore6 on Sep 11, 2018, 4:37 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3