Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
Midland League 2018/19

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 17, 2018, 7:32 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #1 of 29 (5530 views)
Shortcut
Midland League 2018/19 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Divisional line-ups now on fulltime http://fulltime-league.thefa.com/...lectedLeague=6125369

No surprises in the top two divisions, which run with 20 and 19 teams respectively (more salt in the wound for Stafford Town). Others on here will know more than me about changes to divisions 2 and 3.

craigh
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 17, 2018, 8:06 PM

Post #2 of 29 (5460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lane Head ... Any ideas who they might be In division 2?

leominster
First Team Star

Jul 17, 2018, 8:13 PM

Team(s): Cardiff City, KV Kortrijk, BFC Dynamo

Post #3 of 29 (5451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [craigh] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Lane Head ... Any ideas who they might be In division 2?

There's a Lane Head FC based in Staffordshire who have a whole host of junior teams up to Under 17 age group. Perhaps they are entering a senior team?

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 17, 2018, 8:15 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #4 of 29 (5444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leominster] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd like to know how they've managed to leapfrog into Div. 2!

Bob L. Hatt
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 17, 2018, 8:22 PM

Team(s): Derby County, Belper Town, Derry City

Post #5 of 29 (5428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Playing at The Red Lion Ground, looks like a new name / merger with Bloxwich Town (who are not named in the constitution)

Hence why in Div 2 I guess?

Sniff my blog....

https://bobblestravels.blogspot.co.uk

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 17, 2018, 9:27 PM

Post #6 of 29 (5342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bob L. Hatt] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yeah, that would make sense.

A bit of detail -

Premier
AFC Wulfrunians
Boldmere St Michael's
Coventry Sphinx
Coventry United
Dunkirk (promoted from EMCL)
Highgate United
Ilkeston Town (promoted)
Long Eaton United
Loughborough University
Lye Town
Quorn
Romulus (relegated from Northern Premier League)
Shepshed Dynamo
South Normanton Athletic
Sporting Khalsa
Stourport Swifts
Walsall Wood (promoted)
Westfields
Wolverhampton Sporting Community (promoted from WMRL Prem)
Worcester City

First
Atherstone Town
Brocton
Cadbury Athletic
Chelmsley Town
Coventry Copsewood
Heath Hayes
Heather St John's
Hinckley
Leicester Road
Lichfield City
Littleton
NKF Burbage (promoted)
Nuneaton Griff
Paget Rangers
Racing Club Warwick
Rocester (relegated)
Stapenhill
Studley
Uttoxeter Town

Second
Barnt Green Spatak
Boldmere Sports & Social Falcons (promoted)
Bolehall Swifts (relegated)
Coton Green
Coventry Alvis (relegated)
Earlswood Town
FC Stratford (promoted)
Fairfield Villa
Feckenham
GNP Sports (promoted)
Hampton
Knowle
Lane Head (ex Bloxwich Town? Name change/merger?)
Moors Academy
Northfield Town
Redditch Borough

Third
AFC Church (new)
AFC Solihull
Alcester Town
Bartestree
Birmingham Tigers
Castle Vale Town
Central Ajax
Continental Star
Coventrians
Coventry Plumbing (new - from Coventry & District League)
Enville Athletic
FC Shush (formerly CT Shush)
Inkberrow
Leamington Hibernian
Shipston Excelsior
WLV Sport (new)

The league loses the following clubs -
Bromsgrove Sporting (promoted to Southern League)
Coleshill Town (promoted to Southern League)
Rugby Town (transferred to UCL)
Shawbury United (relegated/transferred to WMRL Prem)
Haughmond (relegated/transferred to WMRL Prem)
Stafford Town (relegated/transferred to Staffs County League)
Smithswood Firs (folded)
Montpellier (folded)
Pelsall Villa (folded?)

I hope that's all correct!

(This post was edited by Bantam Cymraeg on Jul 17, 2018, 9:34 PM)

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Jul 17, 2018, 9:40 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #7 of 29 (5316 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I believe AFC Church may be last season's Alvechurch Reserves.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 17, 2018, 10:08 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #8 of 29 (5261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bob L. Hatt] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The grounds are listed on the official web site

http://www.totalmotionmfl.co.uk/

I did the counts for Premier [19 grounds and one share] and Division One [16 grounds, 3 shares] in the old Midland League thread

Division 2.
Barnt Green Spartak - share at Earlswood
FC Stratford - I don't think these are independent. Are they on main stadium now?
Feckenham - not in Feckenham, but I think the only team in Eldorado Close, Studley, certainly prime user on my list
GNP - share at Covenry Sphinx
Lane Head - see discussion above
Moors Academy - connected I believe with Solihill, but playing at Tally Ho

Droitwich Spa missing - switched to West Midlands?
Pelsall Villa missing - gone?

Division Three
AFC Church - share at Northfield Town
Birmingham Tigers - at Hadley Stadium. I have this listed at West Midlands League Wonder Vaults, but ticked in 1999 for Smethwick Rangers.
Castle Vale Town - at Vale stadium with Romulus
Coventrians - moved to Colliery Sports Ground. Assume a share with Coventry Alliance Club
Coventry Plumbing - listed as "Coventry Sporting Ground"
FC Shush - previously CT Shush and at Coleshill Town (even though Coleshill were at Chelmsley). Now at The Glades.
Leamington Hibs - at Cubbington, not where I saw them a couple of years ago, but not necessarily first season here
WLV Football - at Walsall Sports Campus. My only ever match in the Midland Combination U-21 League was to see Tipton Town U21 at this Campus. However that was a grass pitch, WLV is on 3G. I'm uncertain about locations, but unlikely to return unless they move up

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 17, 2018, 10:16 PM

Post #9 of 29 (5239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FC Stratford are run as an independent club, playing in the main stadium at Knights Lane.

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 18, 2018, 8:51 AM

Team(s): None

Post #10 of 29 (4987 views)
Shortcut

The 3G pitch at Walsall Campus is not too bad as there is plenty of spectator accommodation inside the cage, along one side, although no cover or seats.

jrev61

Sunny Nunny
Youth Team Star

Jul 18, 2018, 10:09 AM

Team(s): Nuneaton Borough

Post #11 of 29 (4896 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Coventrians have moved to the Colliery sports grounds in Keresley Village , right on the outer edge of the city . It was the ground of Coventry Colliery United ( Cov Alliance ) but they have moved to the Hawkesmill social club ground . Coventrians are the primary / probably only Saturday uses .
Coventry Plumbing play at the Coventry Sporting ground , which is close to but not the site of the original Cov Sporting ground . They are also the primary and probably only Saturday uses .

Rog Dodge
Youth Team Regular

Jul 18, 2018, 11:34 AM

Team(s): England--Grantham Town-Melton Town -NKF Burbage - Leics City Women

Post #12 of 29 (4802 views)
Shortcut

Stapenhill in from EMCL.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Jul 18, 2018, 11:53 AM

Post #13 of 29 (4764 views)
Shortcut

No longer a Coventry and District League!
Coventry Plumbing were champions of Division Three of the Coventry Alliance League under Kevin Kingham who is well known in Midland Football League circles having in the past been associated with such as Massey Ferguson, Griff and Studley.

villan
First Team Regular

Jul 23, 2018, 8:01 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #14 of 29 (3791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sunny Nunny] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am hoping you can clarify whether Coventry Plumbing will be playing at a new venue for me. I have been to 2 venues in Westwood Heath road but Coventry Sporting were before I started at Mid Comb level. I saw Coventry Amateurs in April 2010 at David Sinclair sports ground & then Coventry Spartans in December 2011 at Westwood Heath sports ground also referred to as Coventry university SG. I recall these were on opposite sides of the road & not directly opposite but I cannot remember the distance between them. I was aware of another team Coventry Spires forming around this time & my directory listed them at Millennium ground but I was told this was same place as one the the other grounds mentioned so I did not go. How many venues exist in this road???? Can you clarify if Sporting ground is different to either of the one's I have done & whether Plumbing are playing at yet another site??? Cheers hoping you can alleviate my confusion!!!!!

End 2017-18, Total Grounds 1365

New grounds 2018/19. 22

shimtoan
First Team Sub

Jul 23, 2018, 10:41 PM

Team(s): Dunkirk

Post #15 of 29 (3604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villan] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fixtures are out! Well, Premier and Division 1 have the whole season. None yet for Divisions 2 & 3

unless stated, all views are my own and are not the views of any other person, club, or organisation

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2018, 9:24 AM

Post #16 of 29 (3336 views)
Shortcut

I am hoping you can clarify whether Coventry Plumbing will be playing at a new venue for me. I have been to 2 venues in Westwood Heath road but Coventry Sporting were before I started at Mid Comb level. I saw Coventry Amateurs in April 2010 at David Sinclair sports ground & then Coventry Spartans in December 2011 at Westwood Heath sports ground also referred to as Coventry university SG. I recall these were on opposite sides of the road & not directly opposite but I cannot remember the distance between them. I was aware of another team Coventry Spires forming around this time & my directory listed them at Millennium ground but I was told this was same place as one the the other grounds mentioned so I did not go. How many venues exist in this road???? Can you clarify if Sporting ground is different to either of the one's I have done & whether Plumbing are playing at yet another site??? Cheers hoping you can alleviate my confusion!!!!!

They play on their own ground on the opposite side of the road to the Uni playing fields. The boss of Coventry Plumbing bought the ground a few years ago. Not sure of the name of the ground but as soon as the fixtures come out it will tell you. I believe reading your post that you have been to the venue before, If you look on Google maps you will see the ground, it has a dressing room building on the right as you go towards the pitch.

Bob L. Hatt
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 24, 2018, 10:34 AM

Team(s): Derby County, Belper Town, Derry City

Post #17 of 29 (3250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

They play on their own ground on the opposite side of the road to the Uni playing fields. The boss of Coventry Plumbing bought the ground a few years ago. Not sure of the name of the ground but as soon as the fixtures come out it will tell you. I believe reading your post that you have been to the venue before, If you look on Google maps you will see the ground, it has a dressing room building on the right as you go towards the pitch.

The ground Coventry Plumbing are using is the one that was previously known as the David Sinclair Sports Ground and used by Coventry Amateurs. I have looked on Google Maps and Google Street and this does confirm it.

Sniff my blog....

https://bobblestravels.blogspot.co.uk

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2018, 11:52 AM

Post #18 of 29 (3153 views)
Shortcut

That's the one, just checked in the 2009-10 Handbook. Coventry Amateurs also issued an attractive programme, my copy is from 2008-09.Laugh

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 24, 2018, 11:54 AM

Post #19 of 29 (3147 views)
Shortcut

By this, I assume you mean Coventry Amateurs who were in the Midland Combination 2008-11 and then changed name to Coventry Spartans and continued in the Combination until 2013
As opposed to Coventry Amateurs who were in the West Midlands League 1967-74, changing name to Coventry Sporting, famously beating Tranmere (1975) and spending six seasons in the Southern League before dropping out in 1989

Fat AND Pompous.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2018, 12:53 PM

Post #20 of 29 (3053 views)
Shortcut

That is correct sir!
I seem to remember someone originally with the Amateurs/Sporting wanted to bring the club back to life. The handbook does say the club was reformed in 2008 and like such as Leamington I suppose some would claim it is the same club. Not in my book though but what do I knowCrazy

villan
First Team Regular

Jul 25, 2018, 1:07 AM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #21 of 29 (2667 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you all for your help. It seems I just need Coventrians then. Just out of interest did Sporting play at one of these sites or has that venue disappeared.

End 2017-18, Total Grounds 1365

New grounds 2018/19. 22

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Jul 25, 2018, 8:51 AM

Post #22 of 29 (2502 views)
Shortcut

Gorn, gorn, and never even called me mother! (showing my age!Angelic)

That ground went years ago.

(This post was edited by GRIFFON on Jul 25, 2018, 8:52 AM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 25, 2018, 9:31 AM

Post #23 of 29 (2462 views)
Shortcut

So are you saying the original Sporting Ground has now been built over?
My listing for Coventry Sporting gave the ground name as Kirby Corner and the map shows this as the name of the junction at the East end of the Westwood Heath Road
AT this point, there are a mulitude of pitches, but one is partially enclosed and apart from the rest. I was assuming this was the one I had been to.

The map shows a smaller area of pitches further west, and to the south of the road. I am guessing this is the Plumbing ground - opposite a road called Highgrove

While there has been a lot of development to the North or Westwood Heath road over the last 20 years, there is no sign of any other football pitches on google earth. Unfortunately, as Earth has a 1945 picture, but nothing else older than 1999, there is a lack of data for the date I went

A number of sports pitches appears to have been taken up by university buildings to the south east of the roundabout.

Fat AND Pompous.

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 25, 2018, 9:38 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #24 of 29 (2453 views)
Shortcut

A quick look in my vintage A to Z reveals that Coventry Sporting's ground was where University House now stands, next to the car park to the east of the roundabout.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 25, 2018, 9:46 AM

Post #25 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Midland League 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks Tim - no chance of me accidentally revisiting it then

Fat AND Pompous.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All