Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
Andover and Salisbury District Leagues "Partial merger"

Sarumio
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 3, 2018, 9:45 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #1 of 5 (2572 views)
Shortcut
Andover and Salisbury District Leagues "Partial merger" Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whether this is desperation or ingenius and innovatve or just plain daft, the Salisbury & District League and the Andover & District League are forming a strange partially merged alliance of sorts. Whilst the two leagues remain separate, due to the low numbers in both leagues, and their proximity to one another – they are arranging a mid-season competiton between the two league's clubs in order to orvide more fixtures and more variety of opponent. Quite how this works I don’t know.

The two leagues finished with 11 clubs between them last season. 5 in Salisbury and 6 in Andover.

And quite why these two can’t just admit defeat and club together into a fully merged alliance I really don’t know - they aren't that far apart. It isn’t gonna get better peeps – merge (to delay the inevitable) or fold. Simples.

allthingswilts
Junior Team Sub

Aug 3, 2018, 11:50 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Andover and Salisbury District Leagues "Partial merger" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The clubs are in their respective League as they don't want to or cant commit to travelling due to work/family, the only option to SDFL clubs would be Trowbridge, sides in both leagues were concerned on distances for away matches.
If the two leagues can get together with an initial competition it can only be a positive

Sarumio

Aug 3, 2018, 12:30 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #3 of 5 (2423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [allthingswilts] Andover and Salisbury District Leagues "Partial merger" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hmmm

Four of the six Salisbury & District League sides play in Salisbury
The other two play outside in the villages of Porton to the east and Broadchalke to the west

3 of the 6 Andover sides play in Andover – the other three play in:
Broughton to the south (literally halfway between Salisbury and Andover anyway)
Kings Somborne 5 miles east of Broughton (closer to Andover but only just)
Kingsclere (15 miles east of Andover – and on the outskirts of Basingstoke – whose own district league they should really be playing in. Kingsclere’s odd league choice and thus geographic isolation should not be used as a barrier to a proper merger between these two leagues

Salisbury and Andover are only 19 miles apart. And that’s from their respective central points – their outskirts are even closer to one another.

In between the two places are SDFL member club Porton Sports and ADFL members Broughton and King’s Somborne.
Such is the case that Salisbury to Broughton is only 13 miles, Salisbury to Kings Somborne (18 miles) and the distance between Porton and the Hampshire duo of Broughton and Kings Somborne is 9 and 14 miles respectively.

And these two leagues can’t merge why exactly? Are these really insurmountable distances to get a squad of players to travel to once a fortnight?

Chalke Valley (in Broadchalke) to the west of Salisbury and Kingsclere to the east of Andover are the only clubs that could possibly have a problem with the two leagues merging. And as said before Kingsclere can “do one” on that subject! Excluding them, then Broadchalke to Andover would be the longest trip in the league at 27 miles.

I was on the fence before but now I’ve done the above research – they really should have merged!

allthingswilts
Junior Team Sub

Aug 3, 2018, 1:15 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Andover and Salisbury District Leagues "Partial merger" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not clear in my first post, I believe there was concern for they SDFL Clubs on travelling should the go in the Trowbridge League, looking at the Andover League I would agree travelling should not be an issue.

Not sure its quite as simple as just merging two league under two different county FA's instantly, but cant disagree it would be the way forward to keep Saturday football at this level going in both areas.

Richard Rundle

Sep 1, 2018, 12:42 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [allthingswilts] Andover and Salisbury District Leagues "Partial merger" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Two teams have been added to the original 5 in the Andover & District League constitution - both from Tidworth

Tidworth Town FC Saturday
Tidworth Town Youth FC Adult

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3