Towlawtom
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 13, 2018, 8:15 PM

Post #1 of 107 (15727 views)
Shortcut
Tottenham new ground opening delayed Can't Post or

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45177215

states now that it wont be ready until 28th October against Manchester City

Games against Liverpool and Cardiff have been moved to Wembley.

Just for clarification, this will be ticked as a new ground won't it?. Old ground demolished,new one built. Not the same ground as Old White Hart Lane, surely not!

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

(This post was edited by Towlawtom on Aug 13, 2018, 8:15 PM)

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 13, 2018, 9:08 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #2 of 107 (15699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No pitch overlap, so it's a new ground by my rules Wink

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 13, 2018, 11:53 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #3 of 107 (15631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The NFL game has also been moved to Wembley.

007Dale
First Team Star

Aug 14, 2018, 5:53 AM

Post #4 of 107 (15611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

See ‘Premier League 2018/19’ thread, where I did say I couldn’t see any way the stadium would be ready by September 15th - and so it proved.

Tottenham have been sneaky here. Had they declared in June that they wouldn’t be ready until 28th October - i’m Sure the PL would have asked them to play the whole season at Wembley.

This incremental shifting of the date seems to make that OK. I also said in my message, Spurs should face penalties for missing the deadline.

jon b
First Team Star

Aug 14, 2018, 11:29 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #5 of 107 (15544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
See ‘Premier League 2018/19’ thread, where I did say I couldn’t see any way the stadium would be ready by September 15th - and so it proved.

Tottenham have been sneaky here. Had they declared in June that they wouldn’t be ready until 28th October - i’m Sure the PL would have asked them to play the whole season at Wembley.

This incremental shifting of the date seems to make that OK. I also said in my message, Spurs should face penalties for missing the deadline.

Really? Why? Am I missing something?

007Dale
First Team Star

Aug 14, 2018, 12:18 PM

Post #6 of 107 (15522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Really? Why? Am I missing something?

Premier League rules state that members must play all season at the same ground.

Spurs were given special dispensation for ONE game only. That is now at least three and will probably be more. There’s bending the rules and then there’s smashing them over Scudamore’s head.

jon b
First Team Star

Aug 14, 2018, 1:56 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #7 of 107 (15467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that.

I've now found an article from 2015 stating the Premier League's position on it.

https://www.theguardian.com/...rd-scudamore-wembley

As you say, Spurs must have been well aware of the rules.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 14, 2018, 2:04 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #8 of 107 (15459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surely Scudamore has to resign not stand down ? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44405190

But the Premier League’s chief executive, Richard Scudamore, has revealed that would be against its regulations. “They’d have to play in the same stadium for the entire year,” he said. “For the integrity of the competition.''

Integrity = ''the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles.''

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 220 / 181 / 39 (You know my rules) @11 /04 /2019. Only 17 x 0-0's - ( 3 in 10 recently !).
Project TFTopTierUEFAGrounds2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).(Inc Summer Leagues 2019. TBC) .
Need - 102 (14-3 %) @ 23/03/2019.
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/author/dadofdottie/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Aug 14, 2018, 2:06 PM)

stugg93
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 14, 2018, 6:38 PM

Team(s): Southampton, Shef Weds, Shef Utd, Ipswich, Blackfield & L, Hythe & Dibden

Post #9 of 107 (15411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

To be honest it's a bit of a silly rule. No one will be moaning about the integrity of the competition when AFC Wimbledon move in mid-season to their ground next year, nor were they when AFC Bournemouth played at Dorchester all those years ago. It's about being practical. No one wants to see a club play away from home if it can be avoided, and whats the point of Spurs playing at Wembley for practically a whole year longer than necessary.

dottirofhod

Aug 15, 2018, 10:21 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #10 of 107 (15286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stugg93] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Agree re rule , its his attitude I'm questioning.

Saying one thing and doing another.

Seems to be getting worse , 3 European games at Wembley and no venue for Oct 28th game v Man City.

PS. This is the Premier League we are talking about , Wimbledon ? Dorchester were D2 at time.

Its in my brain cells ( what's left) didn't Tottenham have problems once before at start of season and could not play at home when scheduled ? Coventry ?

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 220 / 181 / 39 (You know my rules) @11 /04 /2019. Only 17 x 0-0's - ( 3 in 10 recently !).
Project TFTopTierUEFAGrounds2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).(Inc Summer Leagues 2019. TBC) .
Need - 102 (14-3 %) @ 23/03/2019.
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/author/dadofdottie/

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 15, 2018, 2:00 PM

Post #11 of 107 (15226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It looks like this rule only applies to PL. It might have been put in place to stop PL teams from switching the occasional fixture to the far east but the rule then isn't flexible to allow situations like Tottenhams. It probably could have been handled better by both the PL and by Tottenham.

If the same rule applies in the FL then it must be a recent rule change because in 2006/07 Doncaster Rovers played up to Christmas at Belle Vue before moving to the Keepmoat.

(This post was edited by Tykeoldboy on Aug 15, 2018, 2:01 PM)

Whiskey Coates
Reserve Team Star

Aug 15, 2018, 4:21 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #12 of 107 (15176 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Its in my brain cells ( what's left) didn't Tottenham have problems once before at start of season and could not play at home when scheduled ? Coventry ?

27th August 1988 vs Coventry City. Brain cells working well.

https://hotspurhq.com/2012/08/27/tottenham-match-off-27th-august1988-know-your-tottenham-history/

Ropemaker

Aug 15, 2018, 4:26 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #13 of 107 (15173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If both Wembley and the new ground aren't available for the Man C game, I'm sure Arsenal would be happy for the game to be played at the Emirates Smile

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

(This post was edited by Ropemaker on Aug 15, 2018, 4:27 PM)

007Dale
First Team Star

Aug 15, 2018, 5:05 PM

Post #14 of 107 (15157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If both Wembley and the new ground aren't available for the Man C game, I'm sure Arsenal would be happy for the game to be played at the Emirates Smile

I think a 3 point deduction per game moved would please the Arsenal fans more

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 15, 2018, 6:04 PM

Post #15 of 107 (15134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

I

Tottenham are really in the S**t over this. They are considering playing the Man City game at Twickenham if not ready. They cant switch because it will give them an unfair advantage playing 4 of their last 5 games at home. So 3 venues in 1 season seems likely.

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 15, 2018, 6:32 PM

Post #16 of 107 (15121 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think a 3 point deduction per game moved would please the Arsenal fans more

It would also speed up completion of the stadium.

Ropemaker

Aug 15, 2018, 6:38 PM

Post #17 of 107 (15120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

RFU have said no to Spurs using Twickenham, according to the Independent

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 16, 2018, 4:51 PM

Post #18 of 107 (14949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stugg93] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
To be honest it's a bit of a silly rule. No one will be moaning about the integrity of the competition when AFC Wimbledon move in mid-season to their ground next year, nor were they when AFC Bournemouth played at Dorchester all those years ago.

AFC Wimbledon are not in the Premier League and AFC Bournemouth were not when they played in Dorchester.

I agree that moving mid season does not really affect the integrity of a league, but that is what the PL rules state and Scudamore was clear it would not be allowed.

More of an issue, in my view, is that AFC Bournemouth are now starting their fourth season in the PL at a ground with a capacity of less than 11500 but that is seemingly not against the rules.

(This post was edited by mick on Aug 16, 2018, 4:54 PM)

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 16, 2018, 7:39 PM

Post #19 of 107 (14903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
To be honest it's a bit of a silly rule. No one will be moaning about the integrity of the competition when AFC Wimbledon move in mid-season to their ground next year, nor were they when AFC Bournemouth played at Dorchester all those years ago.

AFC Wimbledon are not in the Premier League and AFC Bournemouth were not when they played in Dorchester.

I agree that moving mid season does not really affect the integrity of a league, but that is what the PL rules state and Scudamore was clear it would not be allowed.

More of an issue, in my view, is that AFC Bournemouth are now starting their fourth season in the PL at a ground with a capacity of less than 11500 but that is seemingly not against the rules.

But Bournemouth are now looking at a move to a larger stadium or expanding their current one. To be fair to Bournemouth they have waiting until they established themselves in the PL before looking at the possibility of something bigger.

UKPunk

Aug 16, 2018, 9:24 PM

Post #20 of 107 (14880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The whole thing is a complete cock up. As a Spurs supporter I'm really not surprised though. After all, we are the masters of cocking things up right at the end of proceedings.
Personally, I think the rule regarding only using one stadium in any given season is unnecessary, especially when a club is building a new stadium. Having said that, rules are rules and I expect there will be some sort of sanction against the club.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 16, 2018, 9:40 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #21 of 107 (14867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There must be a date for when the keys are handed over to Tottenham and the people involved in the construction of the stadium have failed to complete on time so there will surely be financial penalties handed to them from the club. Safety is paramount so is this all really the fault of Tottenham?

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 16, 2018, 11:47 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #22 of 107 (14814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It looked nowhere near ready when I passed the stadium on way to the CONIFA World Cup final in June, so not surprised by this delay. As for the Man City game, they could always follow Spain's lead and try to play the game in the USA, or the far east should the new stadium not be ready in timeBlush.

UKPunk

Aug 19, 2018, 8:57 PM

Post #23 of 107 (14635 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There must be a date for when the keys are handed over to Tottenham and the people involved in the construction of the stadium have failed to complete on time so there will surely be financial penalties handed to them from the club. Safety is paramount so is this all really the fault of Tottenham?

Obviously we don't know what's been said and done behind the scenes but regardless of where the blame lies I can understand why some people are insisting on the current rules being applied, regardless of whether those rules make sense or not.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Ropemaker

Aug 20, 2018, 2:17 PM

Post #24 of 107 (14543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

First Champions League home game to be played at Wembley

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45248629

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 20, 2018, 3:15 PM

Post #25 of 107 (14525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Tottenham new ground opening delayed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tottenham are now requesting special dispensation to switch a possible League Cup 3rd round game should they be drawn at home, Wembley isn't available during the week of the 3rd round ties which leaves reversing the fixture or finding another neutral ground.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3