Ipeland
First Team Sub

Nov 14, 2018, 8:47 PM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #1 of 20 (6378 views)
Shortcut
Wednesday 14th November Can't Post or Reply Privately

More of a where didn't you go:

Silksworth CW P-P Darlington Town at Silksworth Welfare Park (postponed due to floodlight failure)
Wearside League

Home club posted on twitter that the match was called off due to floodlight failure about half an hour before kick off, at which time I was waiting for my second bus to Silksworth having managed to successfully find a way around the big Metro delays going towards Sunderland. Fortunately the bus continued on to Sunderland so I just stayed on past the ground (floodlights off so they weren't lying I guess), and arrived in time for a Metro back. Annoying but these things happen. Kind of ironic seeing on yesterday's post I hoped for better than a 0-0 draw in this match, and I end up getting no match at all. Nevermind.

Grounds visited: 290
Last new ground: Gladstone Playing Fields (Hawarden Rangers)
Next planned fixture: Cefn Druids v Airbus UK Broughton - Cymru Premier - 23/8/19

(This post was edited by Ipeland on Nov 14, 2018, 8:48 PM)

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 14, 2018, 9:56 PM

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #2 of 20 (6311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ipeland] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Barmouth And Dyffryn United 0 Penrhyndeudraeth 6
Lock Stock Welsh Alliance Division 1
Admission £3 Programme £1.50

Second attempt at seeing a game at this ground after a visit in late April ended with a 2pm postponement due to waterlogged pitch. On arrival in the town, I went to the ground to check the game was on, and was given a guided tour and history of the club by the very friendly and enthusiastic chairman. I was also given the match programme, or book as I prefer to call it, a 56 page tomb packed with reading and statistics, which whiled away a couple of hours in my B&B prior to kick off. Best programme I have seen in years. Unfortunately, the game did not live up to the chairman’s enthusiasm, the home side two goals down inside five minutes, and the game effectively over. A further goal before half time, and three more early in the second half, before the visitors had a man sent off, and Barmouth’s night summed up by missing the resulting penalty. All spectator facilities are down one side, a row of uncovered seating, with a brick built covered seated stand straddling the half way line. There is also a tea bar and club shop along this side. The remaining three sides are uncovered standing. Floodlights were installed in the close season, and the next job on the chairman’s list is to raise £200,000 to install a drainage system, while keeping the grass pitch.

Football seen in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Iceland, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Lichenstein, Poland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Italy Czech Republic, Ukraine, Gibraltar, Andorra, Luxembourg, San Marino, U.S.A., Canada, Portugal, and Slovakia.

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, Welsh Championship South Division, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

(This post was edited by nervous rec on Nov 14, 2018, 10:00 PM)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Nov 14, 2018, 10:30 PM

Post #3 of 20 (6238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Westfields Reserves 4 Holme Lacy 3

Allpay Park: Herefordshire FA County League Premier Division

This was my first visit to Allpay Park for just over three weeks when I watched the first team entertain Quorn in a Midland League Premier Division encounter. I had not watched as much football at this ground so far this term, compared to previous seasons, but did witness Westfields Reserves in pre-season action against Newent Town Reserves back in July. The home team came into this evening’s fixture in third place in the Herefordshire FA County League Premier Division table following a 2-2 home draw with fellow high-flyers Malvern Town Reserves on Saturday afternoon. Holme Lacy, whom I last saw gracing Edgar Street last term in a county cup tie, found themselves in the lower-half of the table but had reached the last-four of the Herefordshire FA Charity Bowl after winning 4-2 at Kington Town in their last outing the previous weekend.

The hosts opened the scoring in the fifth minute when the Holme Lacy goalkeeper missed a backpass and the ball rolled into an unguarded net. The visitors levelled the score 20 minutes later when a Holme Lacy player nipped in at the back post to convert a cross from the right. Westfields Reserves regained the lead in the 31st minute when a home forward latched on to an underhit backpass and slide the ball past the Holme Lacy custodian. The away teams were back on level terms two minutes before the interval when a terrific shot from nearly 35 yards out thundered into the net via the underside of teh home crossbar. The Hereford club regained the lead for a third time when a 50th minute corner was headed home at the far post. But the villagers responded yet again when a 67th minute corner was not cleared and the ball was stabbed in from close range. Westfields Reserves scored what turned out to be the winning goal from a 74th minute penalty after the Lacy custodian brought down an onrushing opponent.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 443
Matches: 91
New Grounds: 14

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Nov 14, 2018, 10:33 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #4 of 20 (6234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hampshire Premier League

Locks Heath 3 Sway 5

admission/programme none attendance 42 h/c
14th v 11th/16
1930 kick off started 1958 due to traffic light failure on slip road off M27 causing major delays Mad - thanks to Alan at Locks for keeping me informed.
Game well worth waiting for, as Sway played some lovely counter-attacking football but then almost self-destructed with about seven yellows and a red for dissent (plus one on the bench). Locks kept going and came back to 3-4 but were undone by a breakaway near the end.
A fast start to the game by both teams but Brading and Petty, the front two for the visitors, prompted by the left foot of L.Churchill, caused the Locks defence, playing a high line, problems all night. An early flick-on saw Petty almost in for a shot but he was well blocked. However, he did score the opener for Brading on 8 mins after nice work down the left by Brading. He then had another shot over. After 15 mins the ref warned both sides about their language. On 17 mins a raking ball from left to right by L.Churchill found Richie on the right who produced a superb first-time volley into the net from a ridiculous angle to make it 0-2. Eagle then had the home team's first shot, just wide. But it was three for Sway on 22 mins as L.Churchill sent Petty clear on the left, and he produced a good finish. Brading went clear again soon afterwards, rounded the keeper but his shot was well cleared off the line. Bockhart went clear on the right but this time the angle was too tight for him. The game quietened down a bit after this, and the home team came into the game. After a header over the bar from a free-kick, they got a penalty on 41 mins for what looked to me like a hard, but fair, tackle. Wall converted efficiently. Bockhart nearly set up L.Churchill for another near half time but his shot was well blocked to leave it HT 1-3.
Much the same after the break, and it was 1-4 after 51 mins as another cross saw a first time volley from Bockhart on the right into the net. Brading almost extended the lead further, and he almost set up Petty for another one. However, by now Sway's frustrations with the ref were reaching fever pitch and they had several players booked for dissent. The ref also wanted to send off one of the officials but he didn't, because 'he was the first-aider'. Then Sway conceded another penalty - a good run by Eagle saw him cut in, and was fouled. Wall scored efficiently again. A free kick by Bruce almost cut the deficit further but home keeper Coombes mad a good save low down by his post. At the other end a good ball picked out L.Churchill, he showed some great skill to beat his man but his shot was well saved by Gardiner with his legs. Locks pulled it back to 3-4 on 76 mins as a good ball saw the ball moved out to the right and Chambers finished well, although there were appeals for offside. Shortly afterwards Jones for the visitors saw his second yellow and Sway were up against it. Locks had a couple of chances, and in the 85th minute had a decent shout for another penalty. Instead the ball went up the other end for Brading to score and seal the win for Sway, a win which should have been much easier if they had kept their discipline.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Nov 14, 2018, 10:33 PM)

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Nov 14, 2018, 10:42 PM

Post #5 of 20 (6186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Western League Premier Division
Westbury United 1 Chipping Sodbury Town 1
Admission £5 including programme.
Programme: 24pp b+w from the AM Print stable, the usual informative issue
Teams: Not obtained
Refreshments: £1 for a mug of tea. Hot food was available tonight.
Attendance: 49 (FullTime) although I recorded 63 (h/c)

Promotion-chasing Westbury might well regard this as a point gained rather than two points lost as they came up against a resolute Sods side who played much better than their 18th place in the table suggested. In fact, it needed two stunning second half saves by Ed Baldy in goal to deny Chipping Sodbury the win.

The Sods opened the scoring on 10m with a free header from a corner – poor defending. Westbury equalised on 54m when the away keeper punched out a flick-on from a long throw, only for Joe Stradling to head the ball back over a ruck of players and into the net. In the same incident, Westbury attacker Ricky Hulbert looked like he sustained a broken nose and had to be substituted.

Westbury might have won it at the death but their no.14, put through the defence, hit a tired shot directly at the keeper. The draw was an eminently fair result.

I gather Westbury’s previously scheduled home league game (vs Hengrove on 3rd November) had been postponed due to problems with the plumbing in the changing rooms, so I should be able to get in one more midweek trip to Meadow Lane this season.

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 14, 2018, 10:57 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #6 of 20 (6142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bilston Town 3 Hereford Lads Club 5 (West Midlands Regional League Premier Division Cup) Att: 40ish (forgot to count)

Hugely entertaining game, but rather lacking in decent football content for much of the time. Bilston were only 2-3 down at the break, and Lads Club down to 10 men after a rather dubious red card, but the home side went from poor to woeful and the visitors won with ease. Other than the red card incident and the accompanying squealing and handbags, the game was played in decent spirit.

Queen Street is as smart and orange as ever, and deserves a better team to play there. Admission was a fiver, programme a quid. Fine company from the Cox Brothers, Cooper R, Smallman M, Bilston Pete and Willenhall Kev. A good evening.

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Nov 14, 2018, 11:34 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 20 (6050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ipeland] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
More of a where didn't you go:

Silksworth CW P-P Darlington Town at Silksworth Welfare Park (postponed due to floodlight failure)
Wearside League

Home club posted on twitter that the match was called off due to floodlight failure about half an hour before kick off, at which time I was waiting for my second bus to Silksworth having managed to successfully find a way around the big Metro delays going towards Sunderland. Fortunately the bus continued on to Sunderland so I just stayed on past the ground (floodlights off so they weren't lying I guess), and arrived in time for a Metro back. Annoying but these things happen. Kind of ironic seeing on yesterday's post I hoped for better than a 0-0 draw in this match, and I end up getting no match at all. Nevermind.

Also at this one after doing Ryhope down the road last night. Arrived and parked up by the ground by 1730. Things were looking good, lights were on, nets up and players arriving in dribs and drabs. About 1850 we noticed a number of players driving off and went to investigate...maybe the reserves had a game!! No such luck, I was asked by a group of players if I was an electrician. They could only get 5 lamps up the floodlights to work out of 15 so they said and there was no lighting in the dressing rooms either, as there was a lack of power. Gutted and I'd another concern. With the car playing up, I had to nurse it back to the North West as Engine Malfunction was lit up on the dash. Maybe it's also an electrical problem but my lights still worked.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Nov 14, 2018, 11:54 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 20 (6008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hartlepool Youth 2-1 Rotherham Youth...North Alliance Cup game (I think)....kick off 1pm.....Adm Free @Blackhall Welfare FC.

Having bumped into a Sunderland based Hopper last night, I was given the heads up by him that Hartlepool Youth may be playing this afternoon against Rotherham, so I checked it out. On arrival there was no sign of life and I noticed the twitter post I'd been working off had the game at noon but for last Saturday v Rotherham which they had won 2-0. A wasted journey I feared.

As we were about to drive off some bloke came out and started putting the corner flags out. Game On!! They were playing Rotherham again but in the Cup and at 1pm.

Took a short drive to Hartlepool United's ground to kill time but the souvenir shop was shut today.

Back to the game. Hartlepool had a player sent off early on...Rotherham went ahead. Hartlepool equalised from the spot when the Millers keeper brought down the Pool player.

Just when it seemed it would end in a draw in normal time, Hartlepool whipped in a corner that was diverted in to the net. A decent win for the 10 men Monkey hangers.

Basic but tidy ground at Blackwell Welfare. Fully railed on three sides, no cover but a bit of banking opposite the dugouts to protect you from the fresh breeze.

Toilets available in the Club building adjacent to the ground. Not a bad afternoon in the overcast but dry north east. Pitch looked in good condition, not sure if Hartlepool contribute to it's upkeep. Headed north up the A19 after the game to the Ryhope area for a wasted trip to see the postponed game v Darlington Town.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Nov 15, 2018, 7:03 AM

Post #9 of 20 (5815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....In view of the previous days travails the planned Merstham trip was dispensed in favour of the easier travelling option in the direction of E14 for...

Sporting Bengal United 2 v 1 Southend Manor - Essex Senior League
Prog 8 pages £1.50 (on cover, however I was given £4.00 change from a tenner) - Admission £5.00 - Att 75(ish).

....For what was one of the better ESL games this season and over the wide expanse of MES with players looking like dots on the landscape it is one of the venues where it is difficult to enthuse about a match.

There is a rejuvenation of sorts about the hosts, on the pitch they are on a long unbeaten run, which is according to their Twitter Meister the longest in their short(ish) history and this win keeps them tucked in behind the leading trio at the ESL summit. In addition there was a larger turnout of the local Bengali population than what has been seen in recent seasons and they get behind their team rather than be sullen observers. The fact that there are more players of Bengali heritage in the team rather than the usual array of those players who do the rounds in these parts has created more interest,

First half though did not see the hosts at their best and they created very little that troubled the Southend Manor defence. The visitors for whom Mohammed Kargbo once again shone like a Belisha Beacon amongst his erstwhile ESL team mates made life difficult for the home defence but his attempts to unleash his powerful shooting were blocked.

There was a distinct of controversy about the goal that put the visitors in front with Skidmore sending over a low cross for Barker whose shot was probably going in but surely Chambers standing virtually on the goal line was offside when he touched the ball in. Bengal complaints were in vain and TBH on the balance of first half play it was perhaps a surprise that the hosts did not go in with more than a one goal deficit.

Completely different pattern of play in the second period, however it was a question of Bengal converting the chances that they created with Vaughan angling a low shot agonisingly wide of the far post and the usual array of poor finishes from decent positions.

If Harford had taken his time, controlled and dispatched for the visitors rather than lash in the direction of Lane 8 of the running track it would have been nigh on impossible given some stubborn defending for Bengal to make up the deficit. However, with 5 minutes left a corner fro Carvell was crashed home by a powerful header by Siddk and in stoppage tine a further corner from Carvell was only half cleared in the direction of Adil Haque and his drive found the net via at least one deflection.

Great scenes of jubilation followed Haque's 90th minute winner, however the contest ended with players piling into each other, regrettably I did not see much of the outcome (though it was quietening down on departure) as I was heading in the direction of the 21.59 from Limehouse in order to make some inroads in the weekly sleep debt.....

1dringMinstrel
Junior Team Star

Nov 15, 2018, 7:27 AM

Post #10 of 20 (5770 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

AFC Stoneham 2 v 1 Whitchurch United
Sydenham Wessex League Division One
Adm £5, Prog £1 (very good), Att c.70

"I can hear you but I can't see you", wailed the Whitchurch goalie. Moments later he saw the on-rushing attacker well enough to bodycheck him outside the penalty area. The red card changed the game. Stoneham scored but it was difficult to discern as purple is great camouflage in night fog. An abandonment looked possible at half-time. Both teams put in a huge effort (what you could see of it!) and Whitchurch appeared to grab a point with five minutes to go. The celebratory whoops from " Gorillas in the Mist" were drowned out in seconds by a hopeful punt from Stoneham. Great credit to both teams and the officials.

mxhornet
First Team Star

Nov 15, 2018, 7:30 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #11 of 20 (5760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Norwich City U23 - 0 Athletic Club Bilbao U23 - 3
Premier League International Cup
Carrow Road
Attendance - 1130 (announced and repeated on scoreboard)
Admission - free (teamsheet via a donation to Community Sports Foundation)

Bilbao were ery much on top and NC atruggled to get out of their own half for much of the first half hour, Bilbao had scored on 29 minutes and that spurred NC on but they were still finding it hard to trouble to Bilbao goal. Another Bilbao goal early in second half put them well in control, they added another after 74 minutes to seal a comfortable win. As with NC's previous home game against Fulham they never really looked like scoring on the night.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

(This post was edited by mxhornet on Nov 15, 2018, 7:31 AM)

gcnc

Nov 15, 2018, 7:59 AM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #12 of 20 (5698 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

... a 56 page tomb packed with reading and statistics ...

Didn't Tutankhamun have one like that? Wink

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Nov 15, 2018, 10:02 AM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #13 of 20 (5482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wiltshire Senior Cup 2nd Round at 'The Elms'.
Highworth Town 1-2 Swindon Supermarine, admission £9, prog online only, readily available team sheets.
Attendance 215.

Having had a cold lurgi for a few days I opted for a 50 mile round trip rather than the 100+ for Gloucester, 3-4, perhaps a mistake, ah well.

Certainly I thought this at half time as Marine largely dominated but only tested the brickwork on the back of the sports centre behind the goal rather than the home keeper. The visiting right back Williamson was down for five minutes with a nasty shoulder injury or broken collarbone, which killed the games momentum, or the little it had.

But the second half was a much better affair, and Highworth scored within a few minutes of the restart. This just encouraged Marine to step up efforts further led by impressive captain and no 9, Stuart Fleetwood. On 77 McDonagh drilled home after a lovely cross from SF before a minute later a lovely curling finish from Fleetwood sealed it.

First visit of the season here, and there have been Step 4 improvements. A hospitality lounge stretches out from the clubhouse like a conservatory, also it looks like an area of cover is being put up to the left of the goal at that end, and the pitch looked better than I'd ever seen it before, although the up down and side to side slope is pleasingly still in place.
Local derby attracted the biggest crowd I'd ever seen at this venue in my five or so visits.

Easy drive home through Faringdon and quiet small villages passing a deer in the road at one point, who safely hopped back through a fence away from danger.

2019-20 - 12 games, last Kidlington v Daventry T, 17/8, goals 27, avgpg 2.25, new grounds 3. Last - Northampton ON Chenecks, 11/8.
New Grounds in 2019 - 17. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1210.
RL Grounds - 33 (Last - Macron Stadium, Challenge Cup SFs (5/8/18), Speedway Tracks 50.

(This post was edited by WestBerksPalace on Nov 15, 2018, 10:07 AM)

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 15, 2018, 2:14 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 20 (5046 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Firstly, glad to see a few stitches wasn't enough to keep a good man down, and also his choice of game met with the agreement of Christopher Ashbridge for only the 2nd time in 4 days.

Anyway I fancied a day out so I headed for the West Midlands.
Started at
RC Warwick U19 2-1 Stourbridge U19
Played on main pitch, revisited ground 612 now in the book.
No adm or paper
Att 15.
When I looked for the address in the little book, I was foolishly looking in the Southern League section, never realised they now plied their trade at step 6. I'm warming to this league this season, all the games appear to be played at the correct venue at the correct time, I'm sure some are still dubious, but I know which ones to avoid these days. Decent standard of footy to kill a couple of hours on the way to the main event, certainly beats watching kids on a school playing field, I know that from experience.

Satnav said I'd be at Wem for 17'-30, some bleedin hope of that, M6 was a nightmare, a diversion through Brum gave me a chance and eventually got to Wem 10 minutes before K.O.

Wem 0-1 St Martin's
Shropshire FA Premier Cup
Adm £5/3-50. Usual conversation at the gate, blackboard said cons £3-50, when I asked what constitutes a con, he didn't know, I said I'm 60 and retired, does that count, he still didn't know but as he'd run out of 50p's we agreed on £4. As this was County cup no paper was produced, but one fellow hopper had asked for one, the cheeky git found an old one and then wanted to charge him a quid for it, the gent in question offered him 50p which he accepted, I'm sure most clubs just give old ones away.
Watched Wem Fatboy XI get stuffed at Dudley a few weeks ago, no fatboys on show last night, but St Martin's were always the better side, they had numerous chances to win this in 90 minutes, when the whistle blew we all expected penalties but they still live in the dark ages up here and we had to endure another 30 minutes of "how many will the away side score". Simple answer was a fluke own goal at the start of ET, some more incredible misses followed, one more thing, awful pitch, worst I've seen for ages.
As I had no chance of a kip before the game the journey home was drive until eyes began to shut, sleep for 2 hours to be repeated twice, surprisingly slept like a log on all three occasions, home at 08-00.

(This post was edited by youngster on Nov 15, 2018, 2:15 PM)

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 15, 2018, 3:23 PM

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #15 of 20 (4929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Didn't Tutankhamun have one like that? Wink[/repl

Yeah, but he was higher up in the pyramid :-)

Football seen in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Iceland, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Lichenstein, Poland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Italy Czech Republic, Ukraine, Gibraltar, Andorra, Luxembourg, San Marino, U.S.A., Canada, Portugal, and Slovakia.

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, Welsh Championship South Division, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

gcnc

Nov 15, 2018, 3:44 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #16 of 20 (4890 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Didn't Tutankhamun have one like that? Wink[/repl

Yeah, but he was higher up in the pyramid :-)

Touché

SmileSmileSmile

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 15, 2018, 4:31 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #17 of 20 (4812 views)
Shortcut

I was another at Mile End Stadium for...

In Reply To
Sporting Bengal United 2 v 1 Southend Manor - Essex Senior League
Admission £5.00 - Att 75(ish)

There’s little I can add to Timmy Tabby’s excellent write-up - the first half was a bit stop-start, but the second half was highly entertaining, as Sporting fought back to overhaul their deficit late on. You had to feel for Manor, especially their goalkeeper who put in a sterling performance, but there are no doubts that the better side eventually got the win.

The nonsense at the end was really just a lot of noisy bluster, though it did seem to drag on for a long time, as individual players decided whether they were going to get involved by calming things down or stoking it up. Some of the larger members of both benches seemed to eventually take on policing duties by ordering the more volatile youngsters back to the dressing-rooms.

Transport-wise, the Mile End Stadium is as easy to reach as any ground in London could be, with Mile End Underground Station (on the District and Hammersmith & City lines) less than ten minutes walk away, and the ground entrance on the south-west corner. Nearest decent pub I found was The White Hart on Mile End Road (on the opposite corner to that infamous tourist magnet of cheap thrills The Blind Beggar), a bit of a media-darling hangout, but some good handpumps on show, including their own Hospital Porter.

Despite the Mile End Stadium being a rather predictable athletics venue, one thing that I found myself enjoying much more than expected was the grandstand. For one, the bench seats are much more preferable to the usual plastic bucket seats. Also, the nighttime views of Canary Wharf, surrounding tower blocks and passing suburban trains helped make this, all in all, a much more enjoyable evening than I was initially expecting.

John403
Youth Team Regular

Nov 15, 2018, 4:46 PM

Team(s): Fulham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #18 of 20 (4784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Merstham 1 v Margate 1

Isthmian Premier
Admission £10, Programme £2

Was expecting a tight contest with only a few points between these two sides & that’s exactly what I got. Merstham just about shaded the first half and deserved there 1-0 lead but Margate pressured the hosts enough in the second half to grab a point. A few goalmouth scrambles in the dying minutes denied Margate of taking all three points

This ground is now known as the Specsavers Stadium! Typical Surrey venue being leafy and green. Didn’t fancy my chances in the small car park but plenty of street parking outside.

Mek
First Team Star

Nov 15, 2018, 11:44 PM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 20 (4329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1dringMinstrel] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
AFC Stoneham 2 v 1 Whitchurch United
Sydenham Wessex League Division One
Adm £5, Prog £1 (very good), Att c.70

"I can hear you but I can't see you", wailed the Whitchurch goalie. Moments later he saw the on-rushing attacker well enough to bodycheck him outside the penalty area. The red card changed the game. Stoneham scored but it was difficult to discern as purple is great camouflage in night fog. An abandonment looked possible at half-time. Both teams put in a huge effort (what you could see of it!) and Whitchurch appeared to grab a point with five minutes to go. The celebratory whoops from " Gorillas in the Mist" were drowned out in seconds by a hopeful punt from Stoneham. Great credit to both teams and the officials.

Also at Stoneham. No lutes or lyres seen pitchside, perhaps 1dring had theirs confiscated by the gateman Wink

Stoneham's no 10 raced through the gloom to score the opening goal. Whitchurch's equaliser was assisted by a Stoneham defender who headed the ball back across goal to set up the opportunity. The winning goal was aided by the Whitchurch keeper missing the ball as it arrived in the box. Church nearly equalised again from the restart - a 45 yd effort from the kick off was just over the bar.

Once the players stopped moaning about the fog, we had quite a good game.

First visit to Stoneham since 2016. The new development for the whole area is now taking shape and I guess within the next 12-18 months Stoneham would have moved and the ground will be no more. Hopefully the Main Stand will find its way to the new Stadium.

(This post was edited by Mek on Nov 15, 2018, 11:45 PM)

bd
Youth Team Regular

Nov 18, 2018, 4:28 PM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #20 of 20 (3585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] Wednesday 14th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wiltshire Senior Cup 2nd Round at 'The Elms'.
Highworth Town 1-2 Swindon Supermarine, admission £9, prog online only, readily available team sheets.
Attendance 215.

Having had a cold lurgi for a few days I opted for a 50 mile round trip rather than the 100+ for Gloucester, 3-4, perhaps a mistake, ah well.

Certainly I thought this at half time as Marine largely dominated but only tested the brickwork on the back of the sports centre behind the goal rather than the home keeper. The visiting right back Williamson was down for five minutes with a nasty shoulder injury or broken collarbone, which killed the games momentum, or the little it had.

But the second half was a much better affair, and Highworth scored within a few minutes of the restart. This just encouraged Marine to step up efforts further led by impressive captain and no 9, Stuart Fleetwood. On 77 McDonagh drilled home after a lovely cross from SF before a minute later a lovely curling finish from Fleetwood sealed it.

First visit of the season here, and there have been Step 4 improvements. A hospitality lounge stretches out from the clubhouse like a conservatory, also it looks like an area of cover is being put up to the left of the goal at that end, and the pitch looked better than I'd ever seen it before, although the up down and side to side slope is pleasingly still in place.
Local derby attracted the biggest crowd I'd ever seen at this venue in my five or so visits.

Easy drive home through Faringdon and quiet small villages passing a deer in the road at one point, who safely hopped back through a fence away from danger.

Also at this, although evening at the ground cut short straight after full-time to take our injured players car to the hospital, meeting our physio in A&E who looked after him until his family arrived. Dislocated shoulder for Dan, so will be out for a few weeks. Real shame as he'd been one of our better players the last month or so.

Game very well described in the review above.
Half-time hospitality was very good! Lots and lots of food for just the few of us in there!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3