Next Prime Minister?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

jon b
First Team Star

Dec 12, 2018, 8:55 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #26 of 313 (4118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for clarifying the process.

I see it will be a secret ballot, so all those cabinet ministers coming out publicly saying they're backing her, may not actually vote for her. Or am I being too cynical? Unimpressed

jon b
First Team Star

Dec 12, 2018, 12:59 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #27 of 313 (4039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Today's PMQs should be entertaining in a horror movie sense. Even Jezza shouldn't be able to mess this one up.

Oh, yes he could. Frown

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 12, 2018, 2:55 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #28 of 313 (3989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Out of around 306)ish) tory MP's, 141 have stated that they will vote against May in the vote. It will be close

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 12, 2018, 5:48 PM

Post #29 of 313 (3911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Out of around 306)ish) tory MP's, 141 have stated that they will vote against May in the vote. It will be close

You mean for.

All May and her cronies are interested in is party not the country.

The other lots aren't much better but as not as extremely bad as the Tories at present for selfish self interest.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 12, 2018, 5:59 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #30 of 313 (3900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

If that's the case her jacket is on a shoogly peg. You can be sure there'll be plenty who will not be open about stabbing her in the back for fear of appearing disloyal.

Bt they'll do it all the same.

007Dale
First Team Star

Dec 12, 2018, 9:18 PM

Post #31 of 313 (3775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

If that's the case her jacket is on a shoogly peg. You can be sure there'll be plenty who will not be open about stabbing her in the back for fear of appearing disloyal.

Not that close 200-117 majority 83.

Enough for her to bumble on.

What can’t happen now - she can’t be taken down by her own party for a year.

Indeed the only one who can take her down is Jeremy Corbyn.

So, she will still fail to get her Brexit deal through. Does this make a no-deal Brexit more likely?

Northumbrian
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 12, 2018, 10:37 PM

Team(s): Ponteland Utd, Newcastle Utd

Post #32 of 313 (3734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Not that close 200-117 majority 83.

Enough for her to bumble on.

What can’t happen now - she can’t be taken down by her own party for a year.

Indeed the only one who can take her down is Jeremy Corbyn.

So, she will still fail to get her Brexit deal through. Does this make a no-deal Brexit more likely?

It’s totally uncharted waters and absolutely anything could happen. I’ll take a wild guess (which chances are is completely wrong) and say Article 50 will be postponed to avoid crashing out with a no deal until Parliament can vote some kind of deal through. How they can agree on something is still the same problem that doesn’t seem to have an answer due to the current make up of the Commons.

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 19, 2018, 8:51 AM

Post #33 of 313 (2512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Northumbrian] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Resign now Theresa May, you are not working in the interest of the country just in the interest of your own hide. We need a leader who will put the country before themselves you are NOT that leader.

(Unfortunately I don't know who is that leader to replace her but she must go.)

Uncle Ian
Youth Team Sub

Dec 20, 2018, 12:16 AM

Post #34 of 313 (2422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TroubleAtMill] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would go for one of the former military men such as Johnny Mercer or Tobias Ellwood

PaulC

Dec 20, 2018, 10:59 AM

Post #35 of 313 (2358 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Uncle Ian] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I would go for one of the former military men such as Johnny Mercer or Tobias Ellwood

Why?

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 20, 2018, 4:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #36 of 313 (2274 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Why?

Military figures are good at running countries, or at least holding them together - think Tito (Yugoslavia fell apart only a decade after his death) Gaddafi (look at Libya now that he is gone) or Saddam Hussain (although not the failed state that Libya now is, Iraq is less safe than it was under his rule)

If you want to be more specific, for example if you want to focus on the economy, get a businessman to run your country. The US economy has improved greatly since Trump became president, because he is a businessman rather than a career politician.

A career politician is seldom good at anything except telling lies.

(This post was edited by greenwood on Dec 20, 2018, 4:14 PM)

PaulC

Dec 20, 2018, 7:29 PM

Post #37 of 313 (2169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Why?

Military figures are good at running countries, or at least holding them together - think Tito (Yugoslavia fell apart only a decade after his death) Gaddafi (look at Libya now that he is gone) or Saddam Hussain (although not the failed state that Libya now is, Iraq is less safe than it was under his rule)

If you want to be more specific, for example if you want to focus on the economy, get a businessman to run your country. The US economy has improved greatly since Trump became president, because he is a businessman rather than a career politician.

You’re joking, right?

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Dec 20, 2018, 10:05 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #38 of 313 (2095 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Why?

You’re joking, right?

I think Greenwood might be trolling us, but what is apparent is that all the countries he mentions fell apart spectacularly after the loss of their military leaders,who had held disparate elements together by force. Compare that to the velvet divorce between the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

As for the USA, if and when Trump goes or is impeached... who knows, but he has tried to latch on to, or take over, a far right ideology rather than being a technocratic business manager; see how he has betrayed the Kurds today (not that he is the first American president to have done that) in his subservience to Russia.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 20, 2018, 10:07 PM

Team(s):

Post #39 of 313 (2092 views)
Shortcut

Perhaps you could be more specific though and tell me why you think I'm joking?
By the way, I wouldn't support military dictatorships or vote for Trump - I'm just trying to look at things from a neutral viewpoint.

(This post was edited by greenwood on Dec 20, 2018, 10:38 PM)

PaulC

Dec 20, 2018, 10:13 PM

Post #40 of 313 (2075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Perhaps you could be more specific though and tell me why you think I'm joking> (By the way, I wouldn't support military dictatorships or vote for Trump - I'm just trying to look at things from a neutral viewpoint, although I'm aware that other posters have been banned from the forum for doing that.)

So you wouldn’t support a military dictatorship but you put forward murderous military dictators to exemplify your argument.

Hmm.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 20, 2018, 10:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #41 of 313 (2061 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Perhaps you could be more specific though and tell me why you think I'm joking> (By the way, I wouldn't support military dictatorships or vote for Trump - I'm just trying to look at things from a neutral viewpoint, although I'm aware that other posters have been banned from the forum for doing that.)

So you wouldn’t support a military dictatorship but you put forward murderous military dictators to exemplify your argument.

Hmm.

Yes, that is true. Living under a benevolent dictator (there have been a few of these, although no-one remembers them) is the ideal compromise but a murderous one could arguably still be preferable to a failed state like Libya.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 20, 2018, 11:04 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #42 of 313 (2021 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
I'm just trying to look at things from a neutral viewpoint, although I'm aware that other posters have been banned from the forum for doing that.)

Can you name one ?

leohoenig
Administrator

Dec 21, 2018, 3:44 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #43 of 313 (1944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
I'm just trying to look at things from a neutral viewpoint, although I'm aware that other posters have been banned from the forum for doing that.)

Can you name one ?

And I thought you would have been asking the names of benevolent dictators.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

jrev61

Dec 21, 2018, 9:43 AM

Team(s): None

Post #44 of 313 (1725 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Can you name one ?

And I thought you would have been asking the names of benevolent dictators.

Antonio Salazar of Portugal is the only 'benevolent dictator' that I can think of. Very right wing but despised the Nazis.

jrev61

Rebel Yeller
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 21, 2018, 10:37 AM

Team(s): Hopper

Post #45 of 313 (1662 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lord Havelock Vetinari.

The Patrician stood for no nonsense.

leohoenig
Administrator

Dec 21, 2018, 12:29 PM

Post #46 of 313 (1587 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Antonio Salazar.

Try telling that to the colonies

Fat AND Pompous.

windydcfc

Dec 21, 2018, 1:57 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #47 of 313 (1492 views)
Shortcut

What about Mustafa Kemal Atatürk?

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 21, 2018, 2:23 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #48 of 313 (1479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
What about Mustafa Kemal Atatürk?

He probably gets the Ashers seal of approval.

And apparently the Armenians exaggerated everything....

leohoenig
Administrator

Dec 21, 2018, 3:22 PM

Post #49 of 313 (1424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ataturk had one of the major things that tends to blight attempts to be benevolent dictators, (as most at least start with good intentions - although I would not like to speak for Putin)

This is that he did not suffer from longevity. The view of his rule is tempered by the fact that much of his reform programme was in line with (and in some cases ahead of) thinking in western democracies.

If you look back at the careers of people like Suharto and Magabe, then when they first came to power they were popular - they could have won democratic elections. Power corrupts, and both these dictators became more corrupt as time went on. Their families and cohorts were enriching themselves out of connections to power. Both in their later years were more concerned with hanging on to power, (if only not to be arrested for what they have already done).

Fat AND Pompous.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 21, 2018, 3:50 PM

Team(s):

Post #50 of 313 (1385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Lord Havelock Vetinari.

The Patrician stood for no nonsense.

I had to google him to find out who he was and was surprised to discover that he is a science-fiction character.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3