Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 15th December 2018

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

noprogs
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2018, 4:11 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 64 (13353 views)
Shortcut
Saturday 15th December 2018 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gildersome Spurs 3 Shire Academics 3
Yorkshire Amateur League, Championship (second tier)

My previous game last Sunday, in Porto, was 18 degrees, and I still have some midge bites as proof!
Today was -0.5 according to my car, and afterwards it was the first time I’ve had to brush ice off my umbrella.
3G to the rescue doesn’t somehow seem entirely appropriate, even at one mile from home.
And yet no prizes for guessing which was by far the most entertaining game.
Shire led early, and equalised twice when 1-2 and 2-3 down. Awful conditions more or less throughout, so full credit to the players and ref for braving It out, and glad it was a draw for all their efforts

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2018, 4:40 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #2 of 64 (13330 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hampshire Premier League Cup Quarter Final

Locks Heath 1 QK Southampton 1 (abandoned at half time)

admission/programme none, attendance 17 h/c
13th v 15th in HPFL Senior Division
One of those days when you wonder why you're standing in a recreation ground next to a tree in heavy rain, wind and 5 degrees (I'm sure further north it was much worse), but we all need our football fix.....
Actually, it was a reasonable game, the weather was terrible and didn't get any worse, the pitch played quite well so we were surprised (but secretly relieved) when the ref decided to abandon it at half time.
Both teams tried to play football and the game flowed well, apart from a couple of silly tackles. The ref kept things sensible. The visitors started slightly better and had a couple of shots just wide from Reed and Shergold in the first five mins. Locks' Eagle had a shot cleared off the line on the quarter hour, as they began to get on top. It became a bit of a midfield battle with Eagle and Shergold again having efforts on goal before the home team took the lead on 42 mins. A defender committed himself too early and slipped, allowing Bath to turn well and shoot into the far corner. The visitors equalised on 45 mins with a penalty after home keeper Gardner let the ball slip and took down Shergold trying to retrieve it. Woodhall dispatched the penalty expertly. Locks had a free-kick well saved by Kerrison in first half injury time, after which it eventually became clear they weren't coming out for the second half.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Dec 15, 2018, 6:10 PM)

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 15, 2018, 5:41 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #3 of 64 (13230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A frustrating afternoon, with Rodney Parade passing a pitch inspection at 1.20pm, only for it to be forming puddles at 2.40pm. With the rain pouring down the referee rightly called it off with the ground already half full of spectators.

So back to the car and around Newport, getting to the edge of Cardiff and Llanrumney 3G, just as the referee blew for half time of the 2.30pm kick off ...

Welsh League Division 2
STM Sports 5 AFC Llwydcoed 0
Admission (inc. 28 page glossy programme) £4 - though free for me at half-time!
Attendance h/c 22

STM were 3-0 up at half-time, and the visitors down to ten men. It was a case of more of the same in the second half, with the home side dominating and scoring two well-worked goals. No need to worry about getting wet as there was plenty of space in the 80-seat covered stand, which will need to be increased to 250 seats if STM want to go up next Summer. They will need to at least get it up to 100 seats if they want to stay in the New Tier 3 in a couple of years time. That will not be easy given the caged structure surrounding both pitch and stand.

Ah, well, at least I got to see some football!

DaveH
Youth Team Sub

Dec 15, 2018, 5:59 PM

Team(s): St Ives Town FC

Post #4 of 64 (13192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Eastern Counties Division 1 North
Lakenheath 1-1 Harleston Town
Adm £5, Prog £1 (Barnes Prnit) Att 50 (ish)

With the Ives not playing as their opponents were still in the FA Trophy I thought I'd tick off the closest ground I'd not been to (I don't do below step 6).

Very much an end to end game with a draw being a fair result. Lakenheath taking the lead with a goalie error in the first half and Harleston equalising in the second. It was however completely spoiled for me by the constant whinging and moaning from absolutely everybody within the ground. Admittedly the ref probably didn't have his greatest game however he wasn't biased towards any one particular side. Give the ref some respect, otherwise the standard will get worse as there will be a smaller pool refs to choose from!

The ground is fantastic. I wondered why beforehand it's called the Pit. Quite simply it's down in a pit. No idea if it's man made or natural. The banks are tree lined. A wonderful setting. You can only stand down one side which has a seated stand. The rest is out of bounds, perhaps it's because there isn't hard standing. They also haven't yet got floodlights. I'm guessing they'll need to do that all this season if they're to stay at this level. I really hope they do as I certainly intend on visiting again.

(This post was edited by DaveH on Dec 15, 2018, 9:28 PM)

Atavistic
Reserve Team Star

Dec 15, 2018, 6:02 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #5 of 64 (13183 views)
Shortcut

Southern League Division 1 Central
Yaxley 6 North Leigh 2

Attendance: 44 (official)

With our style of relentless attacking football and the excellent attacking players - such as Matt Sparrow and Dan Cotton - that we have at our disposal, I've been thinking for a while now that it was only a matter of time until we well and truly thrashed someone and today was finally that day as we put a determined but limited North Leigh to the sword.

The rain and wind began to intensify from the moment the game kicked off, but this had little effect on our play at first as we headed straight on the attack. We had several chances in the opening ten minutes and largely kept North Leigh pinned in their own half (with the expection of one quick counterattack that led to a shot from range, which young goalkeeper James Blake - making his first full league appearance for us - kept out with a good save), so it was only a matter of time until we took the lead. We eventually did after 11 minutes, the North Leigh goalkeeper coming way off his line and parrying a shot into the path of Joe Butterworth, who calmly chipped over the keeper and into the net. The lead was doubled in the 27th minute when Cotton got a shot away from the edge of the box, eluding the North Leigh keeper in the process. The relentless pace of our attack was causing constant chaos for North Leigh at the back, so much so that by the time Sparrow made it 3-0 in the 38th minute it could have - and really should have - been five or six nil: Sparrow picked the ball up on the halfway line and went on a bombarding run down the right wing, cutting inside past the full back and centre back and effortlessly placing his shot past the keeper to finish off his wonderful run. 3-0 at half-time.

The second half began in rapidly-deteriorating conditions (the rain had become torrential and the wind had intensified significantly since kick-off) and, barely a minute into the half, Sparrow scored his second to make it 4-0: another excellent run down the wing set him free on the edge of the box and he cleverly curved a shot in at the near post. After this, we seemed to take the foot off a little and relax, which gave North Leigh a chance to grow into the game, have some time on the ball and even carve out a few chances of their own. This eventually saw them pull a goal back on the hour mark, Oxford United loanee James Cowan eventually finding himself free in the box to score. This seemed to wake us up again and it only took 6 minutes for us to react with another goal: a corner was played in and reached Sam Spencer at the far post, who scuffed the ball into the path of Phil Stebbing for an easy tap-in (there were a few calls for offside from the North Leigh defence, but with a couple of defenders on the line this was never going to be given). The goals still weren't done though as, after a fifteen-minute spell without much action to speak of, Cotton made it 6-1 after some intricate attacking interplay saw him get a shot away from the edge of the box, a slight deflection then taking his effort past the keeper. North Leigh then pulled one back against the run of play in the 87th minute, a quick attacking move ending with a shot from range by Henry Landers that James Blake - who had put in an impressive performance between the sticks when called upon - had no chance of saving.

Our third win in a row and one that puts us into the top half for the first time in a long while, with it just being a shame that so few people were there to see it (but entirely understandable given the horrible conditions).

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 19 (Most Recent: Marlow)
Games: 28
Goals: 96
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.43
0-0s: 1

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

bluearmybob
First Team Sub

Dec 15, 2018, 6:03 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town FC since April 11th 1966.Groundhopping since January 28th 1989

Post #6 of 64 (13180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Season ticket duty at Portman Rd. KO 3.00pm,

Sky Bet Championship.

IPSWICH TOWN 1 (0) v (0) WIGAN ATHLETIC 0.

Scorers.

Home. F Sears (67)

Away. ~~~~~~~~

Admission by season ticket. Programme £3. Attendance 14,640. Away Fans 310.

GROUNDS VISITED.(382) NEW GROUNDS THIS SEASON 2019/20. (13)
GAMES THIS SEASON 2019/20. (23)
GAMES SINCE LAST 0-0. Ipswich Town v Wycombe Wanderers. 26/11/19. (2) BEST RUN OF NOT SEEING A 0-0. (61)
LEAGUES COMPLETED. Championship. League 1. Isthmian League North. ECL Premier Division. ECL Division 1 North. SCEFL Premier Division.
FOOTBALL SEEN IN:Bulgaria,Czech Republic,England,France,Greece,Guensey,Holland,Scotland,Switzerland,Turkey & Wales.

(This post was edited by bluearmybob on Dec 15, 2018, 9:00 PM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2018, 6:35 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 64 (13023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluearmybob] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA TROPHY: WEYMOUTH v NEEDHAM MARKET P-P

ADM: Zilch. PROG: £2. ATT: No one at the inn

Spent the day till 2pm, on house clearance duty & was at the local tip when the inevitable text came through. Gratsee to my oppo from Yeo for letting me know. TBH it was always going to be off, as the pesky hogs had been persissinist down all day. Another one for the ‘why does the ref leave it so late before calling it off’ category.

Drove to Balti & Chickens to check / confirm there was no local Darzet league footy on neither. Unfortunately it was too late by then to get back anywhere else, so the hogs win 1-0, but worse things happen at sea. Not the best day out but at least my oppo bought me a lemon curd doughnut on way home. Yes, I’m easily pleased, bless him!

KRTM :-)

osborne
First Team Sub

Dec 15, 2018, 6:36 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #8 of 64 (13019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluearmybob] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Heather St John's 7 Coventry Copsewood 1 Midland League Division 1
Admission £6/£4
Programme £1.50
Tea £1
If you want to see goals, Heather are the team to watch. The game kicked off in dreadful conditions with driving rain and a strong wind but it was the visitors who scored after just 3 minutes. It took awhile for Heather to get to grips with the conditions but they scored 4 goals before half time. After spending half time in the warmth it was back out into the wind and rain to watch the second half. This half we chose to watch the game from the clubhouse side, stand and it was more sheltered there. Heather dominated the half, scored three goals and but for some superb saves by the Coventry goalkeeper, it could have been a double figure scoreline. It was great entertainment considering the conditions, but the journey home wasn't much fun.

Windy
First Team Sub

Dec 15, 2018, 6:52 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 64 (12933 views)
Shortcut

FA Trophy First Round - Lancaster City 0 Blyth Spartans 3 - Admission £10 - Programme £2 - Attendance 149

Booked train tickets to Preston breaking the journey at Crewe when the draw was made with AFC Fylde as the likely destination but once Lancaster won at Guiseley, a first trip to the Giant Axe was always going to take preference.

Like everywhere else today, it was cold, wet and windy and I had the added inconvenience of stepping into a massive puddle on my way out of the ground after the match leaving me with two soaking wet feet to enjoy for the journey back. Currently on the train from Preston to Crewe in a carriage of Millwall fans, seemingly not too bothered about the Lions losing once again.

On to the match which looked interesting although I must admit that the conditions made it a bit of a lottery. The home keeper struggled to get anywhere near the halfway line with his clearances in the first half, and I thought that Blyth might have regretting only scoring once in the opening 45 minutes. That goal came after 17 minutes with a cracking curled free kick into the top right corner from Michael Liddle from just outside the area.

Lancaster started the second half strongly but despite getting into good positions, failed to find the net and just before the hour, Blyth Spartans made it 2-0. Dan Maguire had just hit the base of the left post, when he was presented with a further chance which he slotted under the keeper and it was soon game over and 3-0 when Sean Reid’s cross was taken down by Jamie Holmes and then fired inside the near post. Holmes a few minutes earlier had been the central figure in a 20 man fracas and was booked when many nearer the incident were calling for the red card. The referee did present his red card twice in the last 12 minutes but both times to Lancaster defenders, with similar incidents when Spartans attackers broke and were fouled inches from the penalty area - Craig Stanley the first man to go for bringing down Reid and then Paul Dugdale followed him when he was guilty of doing the same to Holmes.

So, no surprise at Giant Axe and I, for one, was pleased to hear the final whistle to get into the warmth of the bar for a few minutes to thaw out before being caught out by that damn puddle.

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 15, 2018, 6:53 PM

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #10 of 64 (12924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kings Langley 5 Farnborough 1
Southern League Premier Division South
Admission £11 Programme with enclosed team sheet £1

Strangely not as one sided as it sounds, 2-1 at half time, the hosts were clinical in front of goal in the second half, however both sides created chances in an entertaining game. Covered seating down a section of one side, covered terracing straddling the half way line on the other, a small Atcost stand behind the far goal, the other end open to the elements. Wasn’t expecting much of a programme for £1, but it was surprisingly good, no glossy paper, but coloured print throughout, and containing everything a programme should. Pitch held up well with incessant driving wind an rain prior to the game, continuing all the way through. Glad to get a new tick in such conditions. Just Taunton and Frome left to visit in this division.

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, JD Cymru South Division, JD Cyrmu North, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 15, 2018, 7:32 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #11 of 64 (12728 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2pm
Lancashire & Cheshire Amateur League, Rhodes Cup First Round
Chorltonians 1 AFC Stockport 1, 7-6 on penalties (att 2)
Free admission, no progs

On call for work this weekend so needed to stay local. I'd expected to be ticking off a 3G venue, but the grass pitches at the Hough End Centre were playable so took in a league cup tie between teams separated by four divisions.

Although Chorltonians were the better side throughout you wouldn't have guessed there was such a gulf between the teams. AFC Stockport thoroughly deserved to take it to penalties after the sides were level in 90 minutes. Chorltonians went ahead just before the hour, but Stockport were resolute and deserved their equaliser.

No extra time and the penalty shoot out went into sudden death before the home side progressed to the second round of the Lancashire and Cheshire Amateur League's main cup competition. The weather was horrendous, and both teams deserve credit for providing a decent game in driving rain and an icy cold wind.

The Hough End Centre is the Greater Manchester Police sports and social club. GMP played here in the Manchester League, but the pitch I saw them play on in 1998 is now used as paddocks for police horses. In fact some of the old pitch railings have been repositioned to divide that area into three.

There's still space for two unrailed and unroped grass pitches, both of which were in use today. Chorltonians first team played on the pitch furthest from the changing rooms and social club, but it is the more enclosed of the two.

On my blog at https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...v-afc-stockport.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Steveb on Dec 15, 2018, 7:34 PM)

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 15, 2018, 7:41 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #12 of 64 (12659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

So back to the car and around Newport, getting to the edge of Cardiff and Llanrumney 3G, just as the referee blew for half time of the 2.30pm kick off ...

Welsh League Division 2
STM Sports 5 AFC Llwydcoed 0

STM were 3-0 up at half-time, and the visitors down to ten men. It was a case of more of the same in the second half, with the home side dominating and scoring two well-worked goals.

Also at this one and at the back of the same stand for most of the game. Lack of internet access meant a trip back home tryingg to maximise my chances of seeing a game. I'd travelled to Caerau and then Maesteg Park, but not too surprisingly no sign of action at either, my original plan had been to carry on to Bettws (who did play), but after calling Caerau (Ely) and then my phone playing up mmeant a decision was made to avoid Pontypridd Town (also played).

A few minute in, one home fan was of the opinion that this wouldn't finish without at least one red card, a brawl in the first two minutes had seen two players yellow carded, and they must have been close to seeing red. It did quieten down after about 20 minutes. The first half hour was fairly even, before the deadlock broken by STM on 35 minutes from the penalty spot. The ref did think about it for a while, and no card was shown. Five minutes later and a Llwydcoed free kick from range was narrowly over the bar, at which point the taker was promptly sent off (for what he called the ref apparently). Two goals in the next five minutes put the game beyoind doubt.

Both sides hit the woodwork, and the keepers did manage the odd decent save. A shame about the weather though, and a slow drive back home.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 15, 2018, 7:42 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #13 of 64 (12648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

League 2
Notts Co 3-2 Tranmere
Att 6,535 inc 762 in the away stand
Adm £20, prog £3

Lousy weather and a poor performance against poor opposition who were there for the taking once we got it back to 2-2. Three very preventable goals against and, when we did show quality going forward, they looked shaky. Our away form is our undoing, leaking goals all over the place on the road, which is ominous for Monday's big cup tie at Southport. Expect the entire back 4 to be changed for that one as we did some squad rotation today - safe to say we're taking the cup seriously.

Only (very) small crumb of comfort is that this result helps County in their relegation battle - I'd hate to see a club of that stature fall into non-league. New boss Ardley has his work cut out but, with the likes of Jon Stead, David Vaughan and ex-Macc lad Kristian Dennis in the side, he has experience and quality to call upon.

In contrast to the football, the Nottingham boozers were once again first class. Today's selection comprised the Roebuck (a 'spoons with an excellent beer selection, as usual), the King Billy (an old favourite) and, post match, the Vat and Fiddle (handy for the station).

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Dec 15, 2018, 7:44 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #14 of 64 (12630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The forecast is for bitterly cold winds and heavy rain, so where to go for football? Obviously a field in Lincolnshire with no cover and far enough East to ensure there would be very little daylight at the end of the match seemed perfect.

Central Midlands. Division 1 North KO 14:00. (F&N). Crowd 20.

Epworth Town Colts 2 v 1 Alfreton Town Res.

Today was the coldest I have been at football for years. The trees would have provided some shelter in the summer months but in December Deciduous trees don't provide much shelter. I stood by tree 000216 as that had a small hollybush in front of it and might have given me slight protection from the elements. I remembered the holly each time I stepped back! All the trees are numbered for some reason. The heavy rain didn't arrive until the second half.

The address of South Axholme Academy suggests a school playing field, which it is but Epworth have their own changing rooms and clubhouse that seems fairly new. Tea available at half time, self service, put a £1 in the cup.

The visitors had won all 9 of their league games so far this season and were a goal up at half time, although I must confess I thought they were a goal down as I had the teams the wrong way round Blush

Epworth scored twice in two minutes early in the second period to claim the three points and IMO they were the better side on the day. Match finished in almost total darkness after the ref kicked off 4 minutes late and allowed the players to make the 100 yards plus walk back to the changing rooms at half time. Just 6 days to the shortest day, east side of the country and poor weather, what happened to commonsense?

No delays on the roads despite the weather.

(This post was edited by Dave 56 on Dec 15, 2018, 7:48 PM)

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 15, 2018, 7:50 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #15 of 64 (12589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MFL 1.
Atherstone Town 3 Hinckley AFC 0.
In £6.
Paper £1.50 (poor)
Att- est 180.
Carling £3.70.

3 goals in the final 10 minutes did for the Knitters in atrocious conditions at Sheepy Road. Adders started well but AFC came more into the game as the half went on and an effort came back off the underside of the bar on the whistle, would it have made any difference to the outcome, who knows but it would have given the visitors something to defend and they certainly needed to do lots of that after the break. Final scoreline was rather harsh as the last couple were shipped on the break when trying to get back into the game.

I had reason to mention the patronising PA man at Coventry United a couple of weeks back but this one today really took the biscuit!! After the game he gleefully announces that the next visitors are Leicester Road the pride of Leicestershire!! Means ziltch to me as I watch both clubs but he is either an imbecile or totally oblivious to the fact that the LR Chairman is the same man who closed Atherstone United down in 2003!! I may well return back for that game but I can guarantee the Chairman will not be in attendance.

Tim

Dec 15, 2018, 8:08 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #16 of 64 (12438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Albrighton 4 Wrockwardine Wood Juniors 2 (Shropshire Premier League) Att: 7 h/c f&n

A very entertaining game. The visitors were two up within 25 minutes and looked the better side, but Albrighton pulled one back just before the break. A most entertaing second half included two penalties (one missed), two red cards for the visitors and a very good comeback for Albrighton who controlled the game throughout. This was much more enjoyable than I feared, despite the most unpleasant weather throughout. The pitch was in very good shape.

Albrighton have moved from the dreadful Clock Mills to Loak Road, which is not far around the corner, but a huge improvement in every way imaginable: it's a tidy ground with proper dugouts, railed on two sides, hedges and trees on the others, and nice elevated viewing from grass banks on one side and behind the goal. It was tempting to watch from the car, but the good company of Smallman M persuaded me to select an umbrella and brave the elements. This was a very satisfying afternoon with a tick close to home on a very bad weather day. I'm happy.

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Dec 15, 2018, 8:13 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #17 of 64 (12403 views)
Shortcut

Also at Ipswich Town v Wigan Athletic - rain, wind, freezing, poor ref and somehow, 7 minutes of injury time but that could not Ipswich getting their first home win of the season!

Last New ground; Benhall St Mary, Games in 2019/20 Season; 61, New Grounds this Season; 30, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Coventry City - FAC (10/12/19)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

alan hindle
Youth Team Regular

Dec 15, 2018, 8:46 PM

Team(s): Wigan Athletic

Post #18 of 64 (12207 views)
Shortcut

I thought I would correct your spelling of your visitors today. They are WIGAN not WIGIN. Bet you couldn't believe your luck with opposition having control of the match but completely toothless. The way we are going we'll be joining you in League Two next season if our manager can't get some players, who know where the net is, in the January window.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2018, 8:54 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #19 of 64 (12145 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alan hindle] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wasn’t too confident my game would go ahead as earlier this season when I came here the home team conceded the game. It was a relief to see people there as I drove across the field to the ground. I then noticed other people arrived using a proper entrance along a bumpy track.

Colchester & East Essex League Premier Division
Abbey Fields 1 (69)
Stanway Athletic 4 (20, 43, 58 & 60)
KO: 14:00 Att: 8 h/c Cost: Free Saw no progs

Venue: Birch Park, Maldon Road, Birch
A very open venue with two pitches adjacent each other with a few yards gap in between then a small field & trees beyond. During the 1st half a small group arrived & you could here the gunfire. Today’s game was played on the pitch on the left as you enter. The other side & far goal both have small grass area with a low wire fence. The side has fields with a few trees & bushes while far goal has grass leading to the country manor/hall/big house beyond. The near goal has grass area with a gentle hump then a track then where some cars were parked with an area of trees behind. In between pitches is a wooden changing room building which did have hot drinks at h/t. There’s decent overhang with hardstanding underneath but cars were parked blocking part of the view. Next to this is a small wooden building.

Match: 6th v 3rd out of 8
Game played in a strong wind & bitingly cold. Sleet was driving into my back during part of a one sided 1st half. Although it took 20 mins for the 1st shot which found its way in. GK saved on 28 mins before a header went wide. A throw in was headed by defender but gk pulled off a good save to deny an OG. An unorthodox attempt at a save by the gk saw the 2nd goal. Shots 0-7.

As I got back in the car it started raining & it continued at least until the early part of the night. AB had their 1st shot which was saved on 52mins before SA shot wide. A header back to the gk saw SA player nip in to get the ball & tap into an empty net. 129 seconds later a 4th goal was added. A few mins later a rare occurrence for me as I had to get back in the car as my hands were in pain due to the cold. I came back out & seconds later AB had close range shot blocked but the rebound was converted. Most of the 2nd half was played in gloomy conditions & just like the 1st half no injury time had been played & I’d survived watching this game. Shots 5-8.

codofthenorth
First Team Regular

Dec 15, 2018, 8:55 PM

Post #20 of 64 (12141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alan hindle] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Afc Fylde 5-1 Stratford Town...FA Trophy 1st Round....Adm £5

Wrote a full report but it binned itself when sending and I really can't be bothered typing it all again!

Decent afternoon and game, good pricing as well....weather not quite as good. Felt sorry for those who'd paid for seats, roof to high with todays driving wind.

bluearmybob
First Team Sub

Dec 15, 2018, 9:05 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town FC since April 11th 1966.Groundhopping since January 28th 1989

Post #21 of 64 (12070 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alan hindle] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I thought I would correct your spelling of your visitors today. They are WIGAN not WIGIN. Bet you couldn't believe your luck with opposition having control of the match but completely toothless. The way we are going we'll be joining you in League Two next season if our manager can't get some players, who know where the net is, in the January window.
Oops sorry about the spelling error,now spelt correct. But if we do go down I only hope it's to League one and not League Two!

GROUNDS VISITED.(382) NEW GROUNDS THIS SEASON 2019/20. (13)
GAMES THIS SEASON 2019/20. (23)
GAMES SINCE LAST 0-0. Ipswich Town v Wycombe Wanderers. 26/11/19. (2) BEST RUN OF NOT SEEING A 0-0. (61)
LEAGUES COMPLETED. Championship. League 1. Isthmian League North. ECL Premier Division. ECL Division 1 North. SCEFL Premier Division.
FOOTBALL SEEN IN:Bulgaria,Czech Republic,England,France,Greece,Guensey,Holland,Scotland,Switzerland,Turkey & Wales.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 15, 2018, 9:11 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #22 of 64 (12041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

AFC Solihull 2 AFC Church 1, Midland League Division 3, Att: 15, Admission/Prog: No

This was Plan A for most of the week, however the awful weather forecast meant that we discussed several more Easterly possibilities as we progressed down the M6 roadworks corridor. As the predicted rain hadn't arrived by the time we hit Spaghetti Junction we settled on our first choice and as it turned out the heaviest rain didn't arrive until the second period. AFC Solihull play at Tudor Grange Leisure Centre, an impressive set up including three indoor tennis courts, with the pitch, inside an eight lane athletics track, the main feature of which is a 500 bench-seater stand, very welcome on such a day for the meagre bunch of hardy souls who braved the conditions. A sign board next to the small clubroom suggested £2 admission however nobody asked for it. Nor was a programme available, although the friendly lady serving teas told us that one was "sometimes done". Despite the conditions, this was a decent game throughout, the visitors (Alvechurch Reserves in disguise) taking a surprise early lead before league leaders Solihull hit back with two goals in three minutes halfway through the first half. That was the end of the scoring, both 'keepers making decent saves to keep the score down. The second half was played in increasing gloom, switching on the track lights helped a little, but towards the end it was very difficult to follow the play through the darkness.

Pre-match refreshments were courtesy of The Ale Rooms, Knowle, the local CAMRA Pub of the Year for 2018, seven handpumps offering some very enjoyable beer.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

prorege

Dec 15, 2018, 9:13 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #23 of 64 (12026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East Juniors Premier Division South
Rosyth v Newburgh, 4-1, H.T. 4-0, Att c.30, Admission £5, No paper, Pie and Coffee £2
At Fleet Grounds Astro

Virtually all grass pitches and several artificial pitches in Central Scotland were unplayable due to various combinations of frost, ice and snow. One SPFL game was called off due to high winds. One of the games that managed to start on an Astro was abandoned due to flooding – the sub-layers being frozen and the torrential rain unable to drain away.

So it wasn’t the best of days to head out to a game. I chose the nearest, a mere two miles away at Rosyth. Common sense said I should have stayed in the house but Saturday habits die hard. Myself and around 30 locals gathered at the Fleet Grounds to see these two Fife teams face up to each other.

Two minutes before kick off there were two people in the spectator area – the rest decamped from the pavilion pie room at the last gasp. Most had retired there long before half time and few came out for the second half. By that time the freezing temperatures and howling wind were enhanced by horizontal sleet and hail making it quite impossible to face into it. Nobody would have had the slightest complaint if the referee had called the game off at any point.

Mercifully he cut it short by a few minutes as the scoreline was beyond redemption from Newburgh’s point of view. Rosyth had the advantage of the elements in the first half and took advantage to secure a 4-0 half time lead. Conditions were so bad by the second half that there was no real advantage in playing with the wind and Newburgh had but a late consolation to show for their endeavours.

Credit must go to all the players for their efforts – some managing to get quite animated and the referee had to dish out quite a few yellow cards. It wouldn’t have surprised me if some of the players were aiming for a red.

Rosyth’s pies are fine and they do a great deal of pie and hot drink for £2. They produced a programme for their last home game in the Junior Cup but have no plans to do them regularly.

Given some late postponements and abandonments, plus treacherous travel conditions, this was one of those days when the football authorities should have declared all football off. Expecting players and spectators to endanger their health and safety for the sake of getting a game played is just plain stupid. In future, please save us from ourselves.

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 15, 2018, 9:22 PM

Team(s): Cowdenbeath FC

Post #24 of 64 (11959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can't believe you went to the Fleet Fields today!

I was out and about this morning and it was baltic only to get worse so took the sensible plan of staying in and writting my programme stuff for next weekCool

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2018, 9:29 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #25 of 64 (11904 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What a day .. Wink

For it sure was wet down South .. with options of Hemel or Thornbury Town ultimately declined, as just too far to travel, given the possible postponements .. which Thornbury got due to North Leigh United not being able raise a team .. whilst "that will teach me" and congrats to the Tudors in FA Trophy .. so, what to do for me .. I guess check out the Hampshire League, Wessex or Southern Combo games still on .. and my thanks to Splodge of these Parishes, who was on the ball with his twitter feeds .. a decision made to go west to Sway .. who had confirmed game on,

Sway v Overton United (Hampshire League, Senior)
.. Jubilee Field, Church Lane, Sway from 2.00pm

Of course, it had rained all the way there and was getting harder on arrival, around 20 mins before kick-off .. both teams out and warming up .. then in they went to get ready to come back out .. but actually, all ended up in the bar .. the Ref didn’t fancy it, so called it off 10 mins before KO .. so off we went again .. and today’s “back up”

Hamworthy United 5-0 Cowes Sports (Sydenhams Wessex Premier)
- County Ground, Blandford Close, Hamworthy on the 4G, from 3.0pm (arriving a tad late)

Att – around 65 to 70 (h/c); Entry – free (all to do with Christmas partying and all that .. well done Hammers);
Prog – available; Refreshment – party plates in the Clubhouse with the little ones.
Travel - down M27 .. into New Forest .. out again .. stuck in traffic .. detours .. no where to park .. walk with brolly .. etc etc
Weather – wet .. wet .. and more wet .. the rubber crumbs did their job
Colours – Hammers in all claret with light blue to shoulders .. Yachtsmen in all blue tops with white stripes and black shorts.

The tad late on arrival, which was in part due to the Ref starting three minutes early .. and mayhem in getting through traffic and roadworks, diverting me about on the Poole side of water .. although the latter was everywhere at the ground, noticeably in the car park .. four inches deep all over .. so, with wet feet, I joined proceedings .. Hammers with the wind at their back’s and putting the visitors under some decent pressure .. going four up by the interval .. unfortunately with me missing the first goal, apparently from a corner, when header found bottom of net .. second came off a forward’s chest, who chipped over the keeper .. third was well taken (or was that the fourth) .. if not, the fourth was a lucky bounce between defenders and a forward running on, knocked it in (the ball).

After that a very even game, with an individual Hammer goal well taken to wrap up the day mid-way through the second .. good to see the new pitch, since last visiting, with most (if not all) enjoying themselves in the dry .. either in the Clubhouse, sitting on the benching of main stand .. or tucked under the lone covered terracing, well protected from an easterly wind .. all glad to get warmed up again come game end .. as we wished both Clubs all the best for Christmas and beyond .. me heading back east in a solid hour amongst road spray, just glad to see the Solent again .. thankfully not having to cross it like the Yachtsmen .. not the best night for sailing .. and we hope they all return home safely, to enjoy another day.

Grounds = 638, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 102; New Grounds (19/20) = 82; Goals (19/20) = 441; Ave goals/game = 4.32; Last new ground = Bourton Rovers; Next = Tues 10th Dec 2019

(This post was edited by hemelhopper on Dec 15, 2018, 9:34 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3