Did they really play?

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 14, 2018, 1:42 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #1 of 23 (72510 views)
Shortcut
Did they really play? Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm currently reading "Now That's What I Call Quite Good!", the authorised biography of The Housemartins. It mentions early on that Paul Heaton's dad Horace Heaton played for Tranmere. I can't find any evidence that he actually did, though - adding him to this list:
Did novelist Jo Nesbo really play for Molde?
Gordon Ramsay, Rangers?
Julio Iglesias, Real Madrid Castilla?
Albert Camus, RU Alger junior team?
Ralph Little - well I saw him play for Maidstone in a very unoffical game v Wimbledon in 2003...
The other one on my list as an unlikely footballer was John Paul II but it seems he only played at school level, in goal.
Can anyone cast any light on the veracity of any of the above - or were they just triallists? Any other alleged players in this vein?

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Nov 14, 2018, 3:06 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #2 of 23 (72469 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm currently reading "Now That's What I Call Quite Good!", the authorised biography of The Housemartins. It mentions early on that Paul Heaton's dad Horace Heaton played for Tranmere. I can't find any evidence that he actually did, though - adding him to this list:
Gordon Ramsay, Rangers?
Julio Iglesias, Real Madrid Castilla?
Albert Camus, RU Alger junior team?
Ralph Little - well I saw him play for Maidstone in a very unoffical game v Wimbledon in 2003...
The other one on my list as an unlikely footballer was John Paul II but it seems he only played at school level, in goal.
Can anyone cast any light on the veracity of any of the above - or were they just triallists? Any other alleged players in this vein?

Ralf Little played in the FA Vase for Edgware Town in 2004 according to Wiki so that qualifies him, I'd say.

Gordon Ramsay seems to be a mixed bag - he may or may not have 'signed' as a schoolboy and may have played as a trialist in a testimonial game at some point, but the picture linked below does suggest he was part of some sort of squad at some time.

http://thechefstudio.org/...s/2017/01/gordan.jpg

Much was made of Jake Quickenden (X Factor/I'm a Celebrity) signing for Ossett Town a couple of seasons ago but I can't find any record of him actually playing for them.

Ropemaker
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 14, 2018, 3:32 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #3 of 23 (72456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The picture appears to be from the testimonial where Ramsay was a trialist. He trained with Rangers for a few months after that but then got injured.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...y-be-inaccurate.html

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 14, 2018, 3:56 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #4 of 23 (72441 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sean Connery did play for Bonnyrigg Rose and was offered a trial at East Fife and was allegedly offered a contract by Matt Busby to sign for Manchester United.

British actor Vincent Jones played for several English teams. Whether he really played football is a matter for debate.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 14, 2018, 4:34 PM

Post #5 of 23 (72425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And Did Viv Richards actually play for Antigua? According to wikipedia it says he played in the 1974 World cup Qualifiers but Rsssf states he doesnt appear in the team line ups. Anyone have any concrete evidence that he played football for Antigua because there is an ongoing Quiz question that states he is the only person to play in both the cricket and football world cup.

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

Ropemaker

Nov 14, 2018, 5:41 PM

Post #6 of 23 (72387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
And Did Viv Richards actually play for Antigua? According to wikipedia it says he played in the 1974 World cup Qualifiers but Rsssf states he doesnt appear in the team line ups. Anyone have any concrete evidence that he played football for Antigua because there is an ongoing Quiz question that states he is the only person to play in both the cricket and football world cup.

Can't confirm either way if Viv Richards has played football for Antigua in the World Cup.

Even if he has he wouldn't be the only person to have played in both the cricket and football world cup. Ellyse Perry has done so for Australia in the women's equivalents.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 14, 2018, 6:00 PM

Post #7 of 23 (72374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Can't confirm either way if Viv Richards has played football for Antigua in the World Cup.

Even if he has he wouldn't be the only person to have played in both the cricket and football world cup. Ellyse Perry has done so for Australia in the women's equivalents.

Meant in the mens game of course.

jrev61

Nov 15, 2018, 10:48 AM

Team(s): None

Post #8 of 23 (72224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rod Stewart claimed to be on the books of Brentford, but this may be a bit of an exaggeration.
David Frost definitely played for Rushden Town as did HE Bates, the writer of 'The Darling Buds of May'.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle played in goal for Portsmouth AFC an amateur club not connected to Portsmouth FC.
MC Harvey of So Solid Crew fame(?) played for many different non-league clubs, but had a history of not turning up for matches. This certainly happened at Northampton Spencer v. Chesham and Thurrock v. Lewes, both matches I attended where he was listed in the programme. I do realise that he played under his real name.

jrev61

Herb Alpert
First Team Sub

Nov 15, 2018, 10:36 PM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, whoever is playing w*** h**

Post #9 of 23 (72091 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Ellyse Perry has played for Australia in both cricket and football world cup finals.

Ropemaker

Nov 15, 2018, 11:26 PM

Post #10 of 23 (72062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Much was made of Jake Quickenden (X Factor/I'm a Celebrity) signing for Ossett Town a couple of seasons ago but I can't find any record of him actually playing for them.

His wiki page also says he played for Frickley and Bottesford.

Report of Frickley against Bentley Colliery in the Sheffield and Hallamshire Senior Cup in 2012 says he came on as a sub

http://www.pitchero.com/...colliery-693020.html

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 16, 2018, 3:26 PM

Post #11 of 23 (71958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Herb Alpert] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Ellyse Perry has played for Australia in both cricket and football world cup finals.

Yes if you had followed the thread through. It was pointed out in Post 6. I was referring to the superior mens game where if anyone could clarify if he had played football for the Antigua National team.

mip

Nov 16, 2018, 3:31 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #12 of 23 (71949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Jo Nesbø did play some games for Molde's first team at the 2nd level in Norway and possibly also a few games at the top level, playing in the same side as current Denmark manager Åge Hareide. Nesbø's promising football career was cut short by injury at the age of 19.

Footage of Nesbø scoring the winner in the Norwegian Junior championship match in 1978 (at 1.30):
https://www.nrk.no/...for-molde-1.13230526

PaulC

Nov 19, 2018, 10:59 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #13 of 23 (71624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sean Connery did play for Bonnyrigg Rose and was offered a trial at East Fife and was allegedly offered a contract by Matt Busby to sign for Manchester United.

Can you spot Connery in the Bonnyrigg Rose photo?

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 19, 2018, 11:52 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #14 of 23 (71606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Second row third going right to left?

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

PaulC

Nov 20, 2018, 8:16 AM

Post #15 of 23 (71532 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Second row third going right to left?

Yesh, that'sh him.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 20, 2018, 11:57 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #16 of 23 (71348 views)
Shortcut

I believe singer Olly Murs used to play for Witham Town.

Comedian John Bishop played for a whole host of teams in the north west in the late 1980's/early 90's including Witton Albion and Hyde United, for whom he is pictured in their team photo in the 1990 Non League Directory.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Nov 21, 2018, 7:22 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #17 of 23 (71187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I believe singer Olly Murs used to play for Witham Town.

He's now 50% owner of Coggeshall Town

ladderman

Dec 12, 2018, 8:48 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #18 of 23 (67751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

TOWIE bloke (among other things) Mark Wright played for stortford. How he became "famous" is unclear

AndyE
First Team Star

Dec 17, 2018, 1:09 PM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 23 (41286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If people from X Factor and TOWIE count as "celebrities" then so does Chatham Town defender Danny Grant, who appeared in Season 13 of The Apprentice. He was foolish enough to be Project Manager in the first week, and was no longer involved in the show by the second week.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 17, 2018, 1:16 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #20 of 23 (41251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

King of the Jungle Harry Redknapp apparently used to play for West Ham..

According to one clown on Talk Sport, 'arry's performance on I'm a Celebrity proves English football still needs him. Crazy

prorege

Dec 31, 2018, 3:19 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #21 of 23 (33336 views)
Shortcut

Gordon Ramsay's official autobiography goes into some detail about his first team debut for Rangers -away to St johnstone in a Premier League match, and also about the injury which cost him his first team place. it is complete fabrication.
He was never signed. He lived in the south of England as a teenager and played a reasonable level of youth football. He was given a week's trial with Rangers which included playing in a Testimonial match away to East Kilbride Thistle. The Rangers team was comprised of youth players, reserves, trialists and coaching staff. He was released, not because of injury, but because he was rubbish.

Another "unlikely" player for your list could be former Scottish First Minster Henry McLeish. As a youngster in Fife he was spotted and signed by Leeds United. He won Scotland Youth caps whilst at Elland Road but was released after a few mnoths due to being homesick. He had several successful seasons with East Fife before playing Junior with Glenrothes. he became Scotland's second First Minister in 2000 following the death of Donald Dewar and served in the office for 13 months.

PaulC

Apr 10, 2019, 8:49 AM

Post #22 of 23 (4247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Did they really play? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Martin Compston supposedly played a couple of times for hometown club Morton.

prorege

Apr 10, 2019, 8:54 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #23 of 23 (4244 views)
Shortcut

Martin Compston came through the youth team ranks at Morton. He made two first team appearances in 2001/2 and was a regular in the reserve side.

He was released at the end of 2001/2 and spent 2002/3 with Greenock Juniors, before giving up football to concentrate on his acting career.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3