Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 15th December 2018

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 16, 2018, 4:54 PM

Team(s):

Post #51 of 64 (8645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
...Perhaps not surprisingly the lure of the FA Trophy continued with a trip to somewhere previously unvisited....

Chesterfield 5 v 1 Basford United - FA Trophy 1st Round
Prog 4 pages w/a - Admission £10.00 - Att 1276

Reminds me of when you saw Tranmere Rovers defeat South Park by a similar scoreline in the same competition a few years ago!

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 16, 2018, 5:39 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #52 of 64 (8522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The forecast is for bitterly cold winds and heavy rain, so where to go for football? Obviously a field in Lincolnshire with no cover and far enough East to ensure there would be very little daylight at the end of the match seemed perfect.
Central Midlands Lge Division 1 North, KO 14:00. Crowd 20. Epworth Town Colts 2 v 1 Alfreton Town Res.
Today was the coldest I have been at football for years. The trees would have provided some shelter in the summer months but in December Deciduous trees don't provide much shelter. I stood by tree 000216 as that had a small hollybush in front of it and might have given me slight protection from the elements. I remembered the holly each time I stepped back! All the trees are numbered for some reason. The heavy rain didn't arrive until the second half. The address of South Axholme Academy suggests a school playing field, which it is but Epworth have their own changing rooms and clubhouse that seems fairly new. Tea available at half time, self service, put a £1 in the cup.

The visitors had won all 9 of their league games so far this season and were a goal up at half time, although I must confess I thought they were a goal down as I had the teams the wrong way round Blush

Epworth scored twice in two minutes early in the second period to claim the three points and IMO they were the better side on the day. Match finished in almost total darkness after the ref kicked off 4 minutes late and allowed the players to make the 100 yards plus walk back to the changing rooms at half time. Just 6 days to the shortest day, east side of the country and poor weather, what happened to commonsense?

Also at Epworth Town Colts 2-1 Alfreton Town 'Development' but I knew which team was which! Sly
Didn't see 'Dave 56' during the second half, so presumably it was him sat in a car watching from a hundred yards away?! - us hardy northerners watched proceedings from pitchside despite the deteriorating weather. Tongue

Pic: https://pbs.twimg.com/.../Dui_mHmX4AI9qOd.jpg

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

willesden
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 16, 2018, 5:40 PM

Team(s): Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon + NW London Non League

Post #53 of 64 (8517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Walton Casuals 5 Hendon 1

A fair report from Paddy. Us Hendon fans weren't particularly impressed but that's football. They're currently struggling with defensive injuries and the back 4 played like the strangers they are. I thought if they'd have sneaked a second goal while having plenty of play may have set up a grandstand finish, but Casuals managed the game very well.

Certainly unimpressed with no hot food but it was one of those days.

(This post was edited by willesden on Dec 16, 2018, 5:41 PM)

PhilT
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 16, 2018, 5:41 PM

Team(s): Peterborough United

Post #54 of 64 (8502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Biggleswade Town 2 - 1 Wealdstone
FA Trophy Round 1
Admission £10; prog £2

Hadn't been to this ground for 9 years, but then this season have found myself there 3 times, all FA competition games. This was the first time as a supporter though, through my part time Wealdstone loyalties.

A larger crowd here than normal I think, still space in the main car park just before 2:30 when I arrived, and an overflow section was open.

The rain didn't hit this part of Beds until just before kick off, giving chance of a lap of the ground to find the most sheltered spot.

This turned out to be in the kit terrace behind one of the goals, where I stayed for the whole match. Main disadvantage was the wind blowing from behind, which meant most of the play was up the other end for the whole game, but dryness and relative warmth were the priority...

For the first half, I was in the company of lots of Stones fans, as their team kicked towards us against the wind. Indeed, Town dominated possession, and Stones hardly ventured up into the opposition penalty area all half.

Town took the lead, but were pegged back from the penalty spot - one of those offences that only the ref saw really.

HT 1-1 Stones a little fortunate to be level, but chance to take advantage of the conditions in the second half.

For the second half was joined by some of the Town fans. Wealdstone certainly had more of the play and possession, but their finishing especially was woeful, with hardly a shot on target.

Significantly, Town were much better when they broke forward, and North in the Stones goal had to make saves to keep them in the game. Eventually the winner came with less than 10 mins to go. Town saw out the game for a deserved victory.

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Regular

Dec 16, 2018, 7:06 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #55 of 64 (8267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhilT] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Evostik League Division One East
Cleethorpes Town 1 Ossett United 1
Att: 329 Adm: comp (usually £8) Prog: comp (usually £2)

After last weekend's champagne job at Morpeth, this was more like a half of mild! I have not been so cold at a match for some considerable time. A howling wind made the air chill seem well below freezing and, in the second half, there was driving rain throughout.

In all fairness, the players served up a reasonable contest in the difficult conditions. Brody Robertson put the Owls in front on 28 minutes and this strike looked likely to be decisive for a long period. Ossett huffed and puffed but had to wait until the onset of injury time for the leveller - a looping header from Ross Hardaker.

No complaints from most and I thought a draw was about fair overall. Always disappointing to concede so late but it could have been worse, as the visitors hit the woodwork twice in injury time. Ten points from the last five games is a more than reasonable return and, although not exactly flying high in 15th place, I would now be surprised if we are in the relegation mire come April.

Next Saturday, we have a Lincolnshire derby at Spalding United. This means yet another date with our long-term nemesis, Kieran Wells (aka "affectionately" by Clee fans as Max Branning!). He always seems to score against us and has already done so for Stamford and AFC Mansfield in 2018. Perhaps next week, it will be our turn to keep him quiet - watch this space...

2019/20 season: 21 competitive games
(13 NPL SE, 2 FA Cup, 3 FA Trophy, 1 League Cup, 1 Lincs Cup, 1 FA Youth Cup)

Total goals: 85 (4.0 per game)
Most: 9 (Cleethorpes Town 5 Loughborough Dynamo 4 - 31/8/19)

Last 0-0: Ilkeston Town v Cleethorpes Town (Northern Premier League SE - 17/8/19)
(Current run: 20)

New grounds: 3 (Latest: Sutton Coldfield Town)

KevinW
Youth Team Star

Dec 16, 2018, 7:49 PM

Team(s): Crystal Palace

Post #56 of 64 (8160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Premier League
Selhurst Park Stadium – Official Attendance: 24,738

Crystal Palace (1) 1 ……………… Leicester City (0) 0

Random fact: despite their goal-scoring woes, the last 11 goals in Premier League fixtures between these two sides have all been scored by Palace.

Being stuck in traffic on the M25 for a significant part of Saturday evening wasn’t my idea of the best way to celebrate the victory. Could have been avoided if I had checked ahead.

rambler77
First Team Star

Dec 16, 2018, 9:16 PM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #57 of 64 (7816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevinW] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

LOUGHBOROUGH DYNAMO 1-0 STAMFORD
(NPL 1 East)

Adm: £8
Prog: £2
Att: 102

Didn't get up after my night shift until 1:30pm, and nearly didn't bother going out. In the end I opted for a local revisit to a ground I had not been to in years. The only addition is the stand on the right hand side.

The game was like the weather - awful. Driving wind and rain not helping the matters, though both sides looked bang average. The winning goal came via a 61st minute penalty kick.

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 16, 2018, 11:09 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #58 of 64 (7141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rambler77] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just as it was everywhere else, the weather in Woking was appalling with heavy freezing rain and howling wind while I watched...

Isthmian League South Central Division
Westfield 1-1 South Park

Entry: £8
Attendance: 55

...among a desperately small crowd for Step4, though as well as the weather things probably weren’t helped by the fact that Woking FC were also at home to Maidstone next door. Indeed, from the balcony of Westfield’s clubhouse you can see the floodlights and the big stand of Kingfield Stadium, and we also heard the tannoy announcements and cheers for Woking’s goal (incidentally, their match finished 1-1 too).

Despite the filthy conditions, this wasn’t actually a bad match. Westfield took the lead on 3mins and went on the dominate the rest of the first half without managing a second, with the South Park goalkeeper making a dozen good saves. The second half was much more even, and you couldn’t begrudge bottom-of-the-table South Park their equalising penalty.

Although their ground is rather new-build in character, I really liked Westfield’s ground - it’s located in the middle of the large and sprawling Woking Park, just short of the Woking FC stadium, with a smart and cosy bar and a friendly welcome from everyone I met from the club. The only seating is in a small Atcost behind the far goal, with the whole crowd making themselves at home on the first-storey balcony that offers both an excellent view of the pitch and plenty of protection from the elements.

SpiderBee
First Team Sub

Dec 17, 2018, 1:50 PM

Team(s): Colliers Wood United & Queen's Park (Glasgow)

Post #59 of 64 (5718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Just as it was everywhere else, the weather in Woking was appalling with heavy freezing rain and howling wind while I watched...

Isthmian League South Central Division
Westfield 1-1 South Park

Entry: £8
Attendance: 55

...among a desperately small crowd for Step4, though as well as the weather things probably weren’t helped by the fact that Woking FC were also at home to Maidstone next door. Indeed, from the balcony of Westfield’s clubhouse you can see the floodlights and the big stand of Kingfield Stadium, and we also heard the tannoy announcements and cheers for Woking’s goal (incidentally, their match finished 1-1 too).

Despite the filthy conditions, this wasn’t actually a bad match. Westfield took the lead on 3mins and went on the dominate the rest of the first half without managing a second, with the South Park goalkeeper making a dozen good saves. The second half was much more even, and you couldn’t begrudge bottom-of-the-table South Park their equalising penalty.

Although their ground is rather new-build in character, I really liked Westfield’s ground - it’s located in the middle of the large and sprawling Woking Park, just short of the Woking FC stadium, with a smart and cosy bar and a friendly welcome from everyone I met from the club. The only seating is in a small Atcost behind the far goal, with the whole crowd making themselves at home on the first-storey balcony that offers both an excellent view of the pitch and plenty of protection from the elements.

There are seats beneath the balcony as well.

The 2019/20 Colliers Wood United FC Website

wibbandune.simplesite.com/

richiejenn
First Team Star

Dec 17, 2018, 9:11 PM

Team(s):

Post #60 of 64 (4897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 15th December 2018 @3pm
EFL League One
GILLINGHAM 2-2 WYCOMBE WANDERERS
Priestfield Stadium

Admission: season ticket
Programme:£3
Attendance: 4,687 (495 away)

Both sides were on their best run of results this season so a draw was the inevitable outcome. Gills again had a forgettable first half performance as Wycombe dominated and should have been more than 2 goals up at the break. Again Gills did their traditional 2nd half upping of pace and urgency and a goal from top scorer Eaves and a good header from Parker was enough to share the spoils. Fair play to the away fans for their support in the open end during the downpour.

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 18, 2018, 1:45 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #61 of 64 (4671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richiejenn] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yockings Park, NWCP Whitchurch Alport 0-2 West Didsbury & Chorlton
With FC United just playing a friendly with Chadderton, I chose to tick off one of the NWC grounds that I can't make midweek. Good noises from the homesters that the game was on helped, with another possibility (Abbey Hulton) ending up off late. The pitch was in good nick but took plenty of liquid without looking in any danger of an abandonment. The old main stand is decent and characterful, with two cover options opposite (flat standing mostly but with a single row of seats at one point). There's a bar with tea bar next to the stand. By the entrance is what I thought was a VIP lounge but on the way out discovered was another tea bar - with cheaper prices and bigger range?! Open behind both goals.
West Didsbury dominated from start to finish, belying their lowly league position (2nd bottom). Chatting to a visiting fan on the way back, injuries have been horrendous but are easing a bit now. They should not have any relegation worries if they play like this.
Had to change in Crewe on the way down, so took the opportunity to visit 2 GBG's there, the Borough Arms and Hops; whilst post game I had chance to call in at Whitchurch's own GBG, the Black Bear, where the Wood's Born & Bred was very good. Despite the weather, was a good day out.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (968) Dusseldorfer Strasse DSV 1900 1-4 DJK Blau Weiss Mintard
With FC United: 136
On the agenda:
4/12 Hamburg II v Luneburg Hansa
7/12 Fc United v Matlock Town

royals26
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 18, 2018, 10:06 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #62 of 64 (4259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern Combination League Premier

Sports Pavilion Godstone Rd (The Lair)

Lingfield 3-1 Broadbridge Heath

Adm: £5 progs free

Att: not checked for official figure h/c approx 50-60 sheltered from constant downpour

Directions: M25 jn6 S for about 6 miles then left for Lingfield ; ground on main road visible off to the right before you reach the town. Small car park; all facilities down one side.

Bar includes hot food counter only Pies today- no draught beer and a scant supply of bottled ale.

Odd feature to report : the live CCTV feed of the match outside on the big screen.
My mate took the opportunity to ensconce himself at a table in the warm only venturing out to join me for about the last 10' Tongue

Seated stand further down from the bar area - but few braved the deluge to toddle down that far - most huddled under the awning or stayed in the bar.

Match: 10th hosted 5th - the home side (Lingers) raced into a 2 goal lead,were pegged back by the Bears, who looked capable of levelling but the conditions worsened.
Lingfield grabbed a decisive third very late on.

Journey home was one of those we all dread being subject to. Collision and vehicle fire nr jn9 clockwise closed three lanes. Our journey time stretched from the normal 1:15 to something approaching 5 hours.

Still we at least arrived home unscathed, apart from some relatively acute bladder discomfort - got to Cobham services at c. 21:40.

Not seen an update but at least one person was in a serious condition. For what was reportedly only two cars involved there were an awful lot of ambulances about. Shocked Frown

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 18, 2018, 10:08 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #63 of 64 (4256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Premier League
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 AFC Bournemouth
Attendance 30,997
Ticket £27 - Programme £3.50

Cherries gifted Wolves the 3 points when Charlie Daniels received the ball from a throw in and inexplicably passed it back into the path of a Wolves player, the move finished by Jiminez in the 12th minute. The closest Cherries came to a leveller was when Junior Stanislas hit the bar with a free-kick in the second half. Chasing the game left our defence exposed and Cavaleiro broke clear to score Wolves' second in injury time. Since visiting Molineux with Sunderland exactly a year ago the away fans have been moved from the lower tier of the Steve Bull stand on the side to the corner of the large new Stan Cullis stand behind the goal. The rain coming through the gap between the stands meant I got soaked, but probably not as much as the home fans in the open section of the opposite corner, which I don't remember being there last year. More soaked walking back to Wolverhampton station where I learned the 1725 stopping service to Shrewsbury had been cancelled, good job I decided to leave my car at Telford rather than Shifnal or Albrighton which would have meant waiting another hour for the next train. The packed 1741 Holyhead service was 10 minutes late and didn't get back to my car in Telford until 1815 but made it to Latham Park with five minutes to spare for

Welsh Premier League
Newtown 3-1 Llandudno
Admission £7 - Programme £2
Attendance 191 according to league website but believe this was fudged to avoid the embarrassment of a double figure crowd in the WPLShocked. Heard gateman say in second half he took 90 at the turnstiles and 23 of those were FAW officials, struggled to make it much over 100 with my own headcount.

Game well described by Barcud Coch. Conditions were wet and blustery but at least much milder, a balmy 8c compared to 2c at Molineux. Liked the ground, plenty of character with four different stands, two on each side and an open seated stand behind one goal, a grass bank in the corner of the opposite end with built in concrete steps under crush barriers which look like they had a previous life as goalposts. The most sheltered area from the wind and rain was the old stand next to the clubhouse despite the roof only covering half the seats. Wasn't keen on watching from the new main stand as mesh netting impedes the view of the near goal. The tea bar has a good variety of food selling jacket potatoes with various fillings. Richmond Red also in attendance having snubbed Cherries for Burscough in the afternoon.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Dec 18, 2018, 10:13 PM)

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 28, 2019, 3:55 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #64 of 64 (484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Saturday 15th December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Eastern Senior League (Division One South) 3 pm

Holland FC 1 Wormley Rovers 3 (H/T 0-1)

Entry – can’t remember how much (perhaps £5)

Programme – 20 pages for £1

Crowd – c. 35

With the weather forecast being for heavy rain spreading from the west during the early afternoon, this was just about the only place, other than Lakenheath, which I could go to where a programme was likely to be issued and the heavy rain would not arrive until after the game had started. No, I’m not talking about the Netherlands (I have actually seen a football club called ‘Holland’ play in that country, albeit as the away team, and have seen a team called ‘Holand’ in Norway, again as the away team) but in the more mundane setting of Clacton-on-Sea. This was my first visit to the town since 1990-91, when I ticked Clacton Town. On that occasion, I had travelled by train, but this time I decided to travel by bus for free all the way from Shenfield, changing buses at Chelmsford and Colchester. This went so well that I arrived in Clacton with sufficient time to spare to have a look at Clacton Town’s ground. Not only could I not remember anything about it, I was amazed to discover that I had marked its position wrongly on my map of Clacton! This does not mean that the pitch has been realigned since then, it simply means that I had not been careful enough when marking my map in 1990. The ground is still exactly the same as it was then, except that extra cover for spectators has been added on top of the grass banking that surrounds much of the pitch.

I then walked back via the town centre to the eastern side of town, where Holland’s ground, known simply as the Eastcliff Playing Field, is located. The ground’s address is Dulwich Road, but access is also available from other streets for pedestrians if they walk across the playing fields. The ground, which is fairly new, has been constructed on part of the site of a large open grass area, where another match was already in progress on one of the council pitches although I have no idea who the teams were. The enclosed ground used by Holland is quite compact, being enclosed with a steel mesh fence with sheeting attached to it to deter viewing for free from outside. The pitch is fully railed-off and (narrowly) accessible on all four sides with the only cover being provided by a small prefabricated seated stand on the east side of the pitch. There is a newish-looking brick building in the south-east corner of the ground, next to the paybox, and this houses the changing-rooms and a small clubroom, where hot food could be purchased. While this is not a particularly attractive or interesting ground, at least the club deserve credit for sticking with a grass pitch rather than going for the easy option of a 3G cage which would not really be necessary in a region of the UK that gets some of the lowest rainfall totals in the country.

The rain that had been forecast arrived shortly before kick-off but was mostly quite light in the first half. With the league table prior to the game having the visitors in 14th place and the home side in sixth, it was surprising to see Wormley dominating the game from the outset and they took the lead as early as the 6th minute. The home side had only one notable chance in the first 45 minutes but they did equalize in the 66th minute from a free-kick, only to fall behind again in the 73rd minute when a Holland defender headed past his own keeper. Wormley then made sure of victory with a third goal in the 80th minute. By this time the rain was much heavier, and with it coming from the west, I had to stand in the back row of the stand to minimize the rain that was getting in my face. The pitch stayed in remarkably good condition but the conditions were so unpleasant that the referee did not bother to add on any stoppage time and as soon as he blew the whistle for full-time, everyone on the field ran straight to the dressing rooms, something you do not normally see happen at games that finish in wet weather. I could not afford to wait for the rain to stop because I needed to get back in time for the bus to Colchester (which was at around 17.15) and so I ran across the playing fields back to the bus stop, which was opposite the railway station. I was soaked by the time I got to the bus stop, although my programme remained completely dry as I had taken care to wrap it up. At Colchester I had to shelter from the rain which, if anything, was even heavier than in Clacton but I managed to get home shortly after 10 pm which was pretty impressive for a trip involving buses all the way from Clacton to Shenfield.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3