Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Nov 27, 2018, 11:02 AM

Post #1 of 22 (15370 views)
Shortcut
County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds Can't Post or

From the groundhopping perspective, the highlights of next year's fixtures, released this morning, are Championship fixtures at Newclose, Newport, IOW (https://www.ageasbowl.com/...wclose-fixture-info/) and York CC (https://yorkshireccc.com/...-to-headline-in-york).
Further influence of counties being without their HQ grounds for a period when they host the World Cup can be seen in 'TBC' venues for one match (either Championship or one-day) at each of Glamorgan, Gloucs, Lancs, Notts and Warwicks. There has to be a chance that any of these may yield further interesting news at a later date.

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 27, 2018, 5:58 PM

Post #2 of 22 (15219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

County Championship cricket is not really a summer sport anymore. Somerset don't play any home multi-day cricket between July 11th and 10th September, i.e. the whole period of the summer holidays.

Steelback
First Team Star

Nov 27, 2018, 8:23 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #3 of 22 (15172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They play t20 instead which a) makes the club more money in one game than CC games do all season and b) is what those on school holidays want to watch.

Several rounds of CC games in May & June this year whilst the World Cup is on so something for both white & red ball fans

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 28, 2018, 7:55 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #4 of 22 (15056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What is the reasoning behind 1 down and 3 up in the County Championship next season?

AndyE
First Team Star

Nov 28, 2018, 1:39 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #5 of 22 (14991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The top division is going to ten teams, apparently because the counties felt that two teams out of eight relegated was too many. They will still play fourteen games, but the ECB doesn't really know yet how it will decide which teams play each other twice.

The Newclose County Ground on the Isle of Wight looks rather like Shenley Park, where I'm sure that some of the cricket followers here will have been. I'm slightly surprised that York CC is considered big enough for county cricket. It used to have a reputation for a horribly bumpy outfield, although I discover that it's been levelled and relaid in recent years.

Of the other counties with "TBC" venues, Glamorgan have established out-venues at Swansea CC and Colwyn Bay CC, Gloucestershire have Cheltenham College although it's not available in term time, and Lancashire have Southport and Birkdale CC although I doubt they'll ever go back to Blackpool or Liverpool. Nottinghamshire would probably look at Welbeck CC although they've never played a four day game there, while the best that Warwickshire can do is probably Stratford upon Avon CC although it floods nearly as often as Worcester.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 28, 2018, 1:58 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #6 of 22 (14975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
County Championship cricket is not really a summer sport anymore. Somerset don't play any home multi-day cricket between July 11th and 10th September, i.e. the whole period of the summer holidays.

It's blatantly obvious that there is a long term plan within the ECB to marginalise and kill off 4 day County Cricket. nothwithstanding the lack of Championship cricket in July & August, there is virtually nothing scheduled on a weekend which is likely to hit counties hard if working members decide not to renew membership due to lack of weekend cricket. I'm not by any means a regular cricket-goer but quite frankly the schedule is nonsense.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

intheshire
Youth Team Regular

Nov 28, 2018, 8:30 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 22 (14848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Glamorgan v Gloucestershire game will be played at Spytty Park, Newport. They've had one List A game (Glam v Pakistan 'A') there and several seconds games, but this will be the first first-class fixture.

I'm looking forward to finding out where the Gloucestershire v Lancashire game will be played. I don't get to nearly enough county cricket but Lancs are my team for family reasons, so hoping I can get to it.

In terms of the wider complaints about the season structure on this thread, I have a lot of sympathy with them. However this is the most 'summer' County Championship season for a few years thanks to the swapping of the RL50 with several CC rounds.

I don't think the ECB want to kill off 4-day cricket, I don't think they have the incentive to do so. Taking the cynical view, it's the breeding ground for their very profitable test team. However I don't deny the scheduling for it is sub-optimal.

If anything, I'd say they have, in common with other boards around the world, utterly lost interest in domestic List A cricket. Most of it is in April next year, and from 2020 it will run concurrently with the new 100-ball thing, therefore denuded of all the talent. Strauss' North v South series played pre-season in Windies/UAE, conceived as an ODI trial due to the poor standard of domestic List A, is also being scrapped. It feels to me as if the ECB are throwing the kitchen sink at success in the 2019 world cup at home, but have no interest in that format thereafter.

Instagram: JBattheground
www.instagram.com/JBattheground

Last Ground (228): King George's Field, Corinthian-Casuals (to watch Kingstonian v Bishop's Stortford)

2019-20 - 14 games, 14 new grounds

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Nov 28, 2018, 9:14 PM

Post #8 of 22 (14828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Of the other counties with "TBC" venues, Glamorgan have established out-venues at Swansea CC and Colwyn Bay CC, Gloucestershire have Cheltenham College although it's not available in term time, and Lancashire have Southport and Birkdale CC although I doubt they'll ever go back to Blackpool or Liverpool. Nottinghamshire would probably look at Welbeck CC although they've never played a four day game there, while the best that Warwickshire can do is probably Stratford upon Avon CC although it floods nearly as often as Worcester.

The reason I drew attention to the 'TBC' items is that these appear despite the (recent) normal amount of out-ground fixtures being filled in. Swansea and Colwyn Bay already have confirmed matches on the published fixture list, as does Liverpool - and Welbeck is being used over 4 days for the first time.
Warwickshire have the re-developed Mitchells & Butlers ground (https://edgbaston.com/...ady-historic-season/), but this may not be considered an option for first class cricket yet. Like the sound of Spytty Park.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 28, 2018, 11:06 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #9 of 22 (14759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Warwickshire have also played home games at Rugby School in recent years.

AndyE
First Team Star

Nov 29, 2018, 12:00 AM

Post #10 of 22 (14737 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd forgotten about Rugby School, and since Warwickshire's TBC date falls during the summer holidays (for public schools, which have longer holidays than state schools) that may be the ground they have in mind. It's an awkward sell though, because the town of Rugby is nearer to Leicester and Northampton than it is to Birmingham, and cricket followers in Rugby may not support Warwickshire.

I didn't see Newport coming. It looks a well appointed ground, although the straight boundaries might be a bit shorter than is usual in first class cricket. Gloucestershire's TBC date is during exam season, so Cheltenham College may not be available. It's a fair while since Gloucestershire have been to any of three grounds in Gloucester, so maybe there's another surprise coming here.

As for the future, if it were only up to the marketing types at the ECB then the four day championship would be gone tomorrow - but it isn't up to them and it has to stay. The difficult bit is making money out of it, but they certainly won't do that by playing most of it in February and October. No one seems very interested in the 40/50 over format - except league cricketers, for whom it is the main and often only format. It also happens to be my favourite format - well hey, I've spent half my life in league cricket - but the sad fact is that no one watches league cricket outside Lancashire and Yorkshire.

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Dec 17, 2018, 8:23 AM

Post #11 of 22 (11423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or

The Notts fixture amongst the TBC contingent will be at Grantham (Fri 3 May, 50-over v Durham)
https://www.trentbridge.co.uk/...ket-to-grantham.html
Interestingly, there are at least a couple of examples of clubs changing fixtures in response to an outcry over lack of weekend cricket
https://www.essexcricket.org.uk/...-chelmsford-in-2019/
https://www.gloscricket.co.uk/...s-glamorgan-fixture/

AndyE
First Team Star

Dec 17, 2018, 1:20 PM

Post #12 of 22 (11243 views)
Shortcut

Nottinghamshire CCC had their marketing people working hard there!

For "slightly south of the town centre" you may read "two miles out of town on a field in the absolute middle of nowhere, and it's all uphill", and for "in close proximity to the A1" you may read "actually right next to the A1, but somewhat further from any way of getting on or off the said highway".

It's not a bad ground, and since it is at the top of a hill there's a good view down into town and you can see Grantham Town FC. But it's not one for those who wish to use public transport, and I'm not sure how they will accommodate all the parking that will thus be required.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Dec 17, 2018, 2:15 PM

Post #13 of 22 (11180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was one TBC on the Middlesex fixtures when they came out.
That was the T20 match against Gloucestershire on Sun 11 August.
This has been confirmed at Radlett CC.

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Jan 22, 2019, 11:16 AM

Post #14 of 22 (5465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or

The Warwickshire match with the mystery venue will be held at...….Worcester!

SKY BLUE TAT
Youth Team Regular

Mar 1, 2019, 7:26 PM

Team(s): coventry city ,leicester tigers, coventry bees, leicestershire ccc

Post #15 of 22 (2301 views)
Shortcut

Lancashire will host Durham at Sedbergh School in the county championship.

AndyE
First Team Star

Mar 7, 2019, 9:31 PM

Post #16 of 22 (2024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SKY BLUE TAT] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've just been reading about this. It's fair to say that not all Lancashire supporters are thrilled by the idea of playing a four day game in a remote village which was historically in Yorkshire.

But Lancashire note that Liverpool already has a four day game, while they're not happy with the state of the wicket at Southport or at Blackpool. Lytham was not made available, and Chester (Boughton Hall) isn't big enough for County Championship ground grading. So Sedbergh is what was available, although they accept that the remote location is a challenge. They're talking about putting on buses from Oxenholme, although I suspect that would cost more than they envisage.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 9, 2019, 3:47 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #17 of 22 (1275 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
From the groundhopping perspective, the highlights of next year's fixtures, released this morning, are Championship fixtures at Newclose, Newport, IOW (https://www.ageasbowl.com/...wclose-fixture-info/) and York CC (https://yorkshireccc.com/...-to-headline-in-york).

According to their website, York CC are producing a limited edition, 32-page programme (£5, proceeds to York CC) for the Yorkshire-Warwickshire four-day match (June 17-20) at Clifton Park. A scorecard (£1) will be available also. A 2,000-seat temporary stand is to be erected, though spectators are encouraged to bring their own chairs. Match arrangements here:

http://www.yorkcricketclub.co.uk/...c-match-information/

York coach Jim Love, the former Yorkshire player, estimates 4,000 could attend the first day:

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/...ire-at-clifton-park/

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jun 9, 2019, 8:27 AM)

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 10, 2019, 11:55 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #18 of 22 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SKY BLUE TAT] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Lancashire will host Durham at Sedbergh School in the county championship.

Tweet from Neil Bonnar at the Bolton Evening News, praising Westhoughton's ground:

"Belting ground. If only it was in the grounds of a private school and was 80 miles away from Mch and Liverpool in the Yorkshire Moors with bad transport infrastructure it could be used by Lancs"

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2019, 7:25 PM

Post #19 of 22 (955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Next week's Worcs v Sussex match has been moved to Kidderminster as a precaution, with New Road under threat of flooding.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48641387

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 25, 2019, 11:17 PM

Post #20 of 22 (769 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The Warwickshire match with the mystery venue will be held at...….Worcester!

Due to the flooding at New Road, the Warwickshire match that was due to take place at Worcester, vs Essex from 13th July, will now take place at Chelmsford with the return on 10th September now at Edgbaston.

John403
Youth Team Regular

Jun 27, 2019, 5:42 PM

Team(s): Fulham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #21 of 22 (596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just a word of warning for anyone wishing to attend Lancashire’s 4 day game at Sedbergh School starting on Sunday.

According to the Lancashire website it is All Ticket. Tickets are available on there website at £10 each. It appears that even Lancs members are having to obtain a ticket and can’t simply turn up with there membership card, they must be fuming !

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 6, 2019, 12:09 AM

Post #22 of 22 (416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] County Cricket 2019 - Two new grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Worcestershire v Derbyshire 4 day match starting this Sunday 7th July has also been moved to Kidderminster.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3