INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non League Football Information: Special Offers and Promotions:
Kingstonian promotion

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Feb 4, 2019, 1:33 AM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #1 of 6 (4202 views)
Shortcut
Kingstonian promotion Can't Post or Reply Privately

One for beermat collectors as well as football fans. So far around 25 pubs, and the Working Man's Club (details on supporters forum) in Kingston, Surbiton, Hook and New Malden have Kingstonian beer mats in use, which can also be traded in for a 2 reduction on ground admission for all remaining home matches this season (at least). Packs of 100 can currently also be collected from main sponsor Banquet Records in Eden Street, Kingston, although these should then be distributed to pubs in the area, and not be sold on to collectors. Wink

Not available in Wetherspoons or Big Smoke Brewery at present.

Morgan
Junior Team Regular

Feb 4, 2019, 10:27 PM

Team(s): Livingston, Forden United

Post #2 of 6 (4056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Kingstonian promotion [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is an excellent initiative, really innovative. Has this been going on for long? And had there been an uplift in gates?

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Feb 4, 2019, 11:57 PM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #3 of 6 (4039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Morgan] Kingstonian promotion [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for your comments. The initiative has literally just started with mats available to collect at last Saturday's match against Worthing, although I think that Banquet may have had them for a few days prior. So the distribution is just starting with fans dropping them off in pubs, although in most cases the publicans advised in advance how many they would be prepared to take, The first match they will be available for is this Wednesday's game against Potters Bar; although the home game against Carshalton on 16th February may give a better idea of actual take up.

Just to advise that the nearest pub to the griound is probably The North Star in Hook, which is good 15 minute walk via the back roads, so it may be best to head for the pubs in Surbiton or Kingston before heading to the ground where there are nore outlets which will have the mats.

leohoenig
Administrator

Feb 7, 2019, 9:15 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4 of 6 (3870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Kingstonian promotion [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If you can get the information, please come back to us at the end of the season with news of how well this was received
Clearly there are two factors - how many tokens are used and whether the crowds increase
Currently the club are mid-table both in terms of league position and attendance (299 average)

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Feb 7, 2019, 12:42 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Kingstonian promotion [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Will do. As I said I felt last night was too soon to gauge success and ironically we had the lowest crowd of the season. Several factors here, fans prefer Monday nights, raining heavily (Lewes abandoned as a result) , status of opponents (who were far better than us) no wins during 2109 and a definite anti manager feeling; with protests during the game.

I suppose there is also the fact that regular fans will use them, which wouldn't be the intention of the promotion or have an impact on criwd levels. Although I have a season ticket I am entertaining a fellow Kempsterite at the next home game and family members supporting the away side, who I have mats for, so that wouldn't generate a new following either.

However I was quizzing in Surbiton on Tuesday and mats were on display in the pub, including the ubiquitous use of a couple to prop up the leg of an uneven table Smile so the publicity drive was there to see. My three colleagues could not be enticed though, although two of them were irregular attendees at Kingsmeadow

Will keep an eye on things though and get back in April.

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

May 13, 2019, 3:53 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Kingstonian promotion [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agreed to come back at the end of the season with a review. Sadly there is no conclusive information with the average attendance only up by 4 since the promotion. Unlike other teams, Ks record which season ticket holders are at a game so my own absence is not then included as an attendee. Only one hop I attended clashed with a home match but ice speedway, family parties and funerals a few hundred miles away took me away for 5 of the last home games, so much of what I suggest is based on guesswork.

My own take, balancing away teams who bring a number of fans with those with no visible following. is that possibly around 10 to 15 made use of this promotion per game.

Only one league victory after 6th January, the loss of two managers during the same time and ( not including subs who didn't come on), a total of 64 players used with a major change of personnel with each new manager, must have had some impact on existing support. Coupled with the above some quite appalling playing standards certainly saw regular fans choosing to go elsewhere during the last 3 months too.

Less palatable (although justified) was the banning of two regular fans, following incidents at Lewes, leading to many of their group not attending either With the loss of many regular fans owing to a combination of the above, plus the potential for existing fans to use the money off mats, accurate figures of take-up are not available so I will have to go with my guesstimate.

With the promotion continuing and with a further new manager (we don't know who yet) it may help to see the impact on a whole season for 2019/20. Several of those supporting the "Kingston 2" have claimed they will not attend again so there should be an accurate, albeit lower, base to measure against at the season start.

It is anticipated that there will be beer mats available at the Kingston Beer Festival from this Thursday to Saturday (Sadly I can only make 10 hours on the Friday this year) so hopefully a wider audience will take some on board.

I will no doubt get another season ticket, so my non attendance will still see the club get my money, although as now I won't be doing all games, A friend of mine will do the same, although he only did around 5 games this season (He is a millionaire though so can afford the losses)

I'll diarise to report back again in 12 months

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3